• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Can I Help My Shy Business Prospects Overcome Their Fear of Public Speaking?

In summary, Heather is trying to help a shy recruit overcome their fear of speaking in front of people. She suggests doing a teleclass called "Responding to Objections" which is available in the Training Center, and using "show cards" to help them overcome their fear. She also tells them that there are many training tools and audio recordings available to help them. If needed, she will attend the recruit's first show with them.
PCCHeather0506
Silver Member
I have two people interested in the business and both have said they'd love to do it but they're shy or nervous in front of people....How do I get them to look past that? I don't want to just look past these prospects!!??

Heather, there is a GREAT teleclass called "Responding to Objections" that will help you with this. There might even be a recording of it available in the Training Center behind Consultant's Corner. Check it out!

Show them "show cards"; sometimes having the wording will solve their fear. Also, ask - would they be comfortable sharing a product or two with some girlfriends over coffee? Explain our cooking show format is just a little bigger version of doing that.

My rather nervous about speaking in front of people too, but I do my shows in an interactive format & that really helps. My director also told me to make it fun & if I do happy to mess up, say something to the effect of, "see anyone can do this & just think, they even pay me!" Also, they can say something like, "that's why they call it the pampered chef not the perfect chef"? Sometimes make light of the situation helps put you at ease.

Remind them that there are so many training tools & audio recordings tha are available to help them. I listen to some of the training cds when I'm driving & then when I'm at a show & I've nooticed I don't stubble for words as often because they are "programmed in my head". I also "steal" stories from them & make them my own.

Hope that helps & happy recruiting!

Not that you can tell them this (cuz it won't mean much to them) but David Meenan said he has terrible stage fright and that after taking a week off from shows, his first couple of shows are difficult for him because he STILL has stage fright after all these years!

So if he can do 15+ shows a month for all these years and still face it and overcome it, then I have hope for every shy person out there!

I have a recruit to be that has 4 catalog shows booked, but hasn't started because of this same fear. She asked to go to my next few shows with me. I'm hoping she'll see that people "talk up" the products with each other, she can be comfortable. I also attend the first show with my recruits, and if needed I would attend more.

1. What should I say when someone asks me a personal question?

The best approach is to politely deflect the question by saying something like, "I prefer not to discuss that topic. Can we talk about something else?" You can also redirect the conversation by asking the other person a question or changing the subject altogether.

2. How can I respond to a difficult or uncomfortable situation without offending anyone?

It's important to stay calm and composed when faced with a difficult situation. Try to find a diplomatic way to express your thoughts and feelings, and avoid accusatory language. For example, you can say something like, "I understand where you're coming from, but I have a different perspective on this matter."

3. What is the best way to give constructive feedback without hurting someone's feelings?

Start by acknowledging the person's efforts and strengths, and then focus on specific areas for improvement. Use "I" statements instead of "you" statements, and provide actionable suggestions for improvement. For example, you can say something like, "I appreciate your hard work, but I think we can improve this by trying a different approach."

4. How do I politely decline an invitation or request?

Be honest and direct, but also respectful and considerate of the other person's feelings. Thank them for the invitation or request and explain your reasons for declining. You can also offer an alternative solution or suggest doing something together in the future. For example, you can say something like, "Thank you for the invitation, but I won't be able to make it. How about we plan something for another time?"

5. How can I navigate a difficult conversation with a colleague or supervisor?

Prepare for the conversation by identifying the main issue and your desired outcome. Stay calm and focused, and actively listen to the other person's perspective. Use "I" statements to express your thoughts and feelings, and try to find a mutually beneficial solution. If necessary, involve a neutral third party to mediate the conversation. Remember to remain professional and respectful at all times.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Darcy Sharpe
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
kcmckay
  • mandydollie
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
dannyzmom
  • Jolie_Paradoxe