• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Looking for a Guy's Perspective, but Ladies Welcomed...

In summary, a group of men on a website dedicated to Pampered Chef shared their success stories and advice for a man who was thinking about becoming a PC consultant. They discussed the nerves that come with booking parties and the support and training available through the company and the website. They also mentioned that being a male consultant may have its advantages and that the company primarily markets towards women. Overall, they encouraged the man to go for it and wished him luck.
RickB
Greetings All...

I'm thinking about becoming a PC Consultant, but wanted to hear some success stories from the men on here.

I have over twenty years cooking experience and thought I'd put it to work selling PC in my spare time. Getting up and cooking not a problem, but booking parties has me a little nervous.

Any advice would be welcome. I just discovered this site this morning. I have a recruiter working with me and I know she's willing to help me along the way.

Cheers!

Rick

This is kind of ironic, because I was talking to my son yesterday about signing, and was thinking it might be good for CS (Chef Success) to have a special section just for male consultants! This part is true for 99% of us, though, no matter what gender - booking parties makes us all nervous, especially in the beginning. Chef Success is a great place to get support, encouragement, and ideas. We also received some wonderful training at National Conference (from which we just returned), and I'm sure everyone will be more than happy to share those tips, as well.

I'm sure Dave and Keith will be along in a moment with their personal input.

There are several very successful men with PC. The #1 seller in the company is David Meenan. If you do a search for "Michael Reeves" on the site, you'll find a thread about a call he recorded talking about his "Bundle" idea. He'd been a consultant for years until he decided to change what he was doing. Once he made that decision, his business skyrocketed, and he hasn't looked back. I know a local director who started his business a bit over a year ago, and is very successful. One thing this director said about the difference between male and female consultants is that people/guests tend to look at a woman doing PC and thing "Oh, look, she has a hobby" but they look at male consultants and think "Hey, look, he has a business!"

Rick, while this is from a woman's prospective- I think it depends on each individual on how successful they become regardless of if they are a woman or man. All of the training and information is for everyone. Everyone develops there own style and different ways of doing there shows. You already have an advantage with your cooking experience, that most of us don't have. Being nervous is normal. Once you start training and talking with other consultants for feedback, you will feel more comfortable. Having a good recruit also makes a world of difference. Getting parties booked starts with calling family and friends that you feel comfortable with.
With that being said, I have had PC parties for over 15 years before becoming a consultant. Even though I have loved having them, I always wished that I knew a male consultant. Being that there are obviously more woman consultants then men, I think you have an advantage. I am honestly not trying to offend woman consultants (me being one of them). But I was always curious to see cooking demo from a mans prospective.
Obviously, from my thoughts, you may tell that my husband does NOT cook. :( That is for a different thread.
I would say go for it :balloon: It sounds like you will be great.
Good luck. Keep us posted!

Ditto what the others have said. I can say that none of my guests have ever remarked about me being a guy. I don't think they really care. And I don't think it's made one bit of difference in my bookings. Just be a good consultant. Being a guy though, I can tell you that the company, no matter what they say, clearly markets their business towards a woman. That is understandable though since the majority are women. But when they come up with minor incentives, bags to earn etc, they are usually almost always pretty feminine. A minor issue though, since the income earned is geared towards both genders. ;)

And there are other stupid little things, such as some people addressing their posts on here to "Ladies", but I just chalk that up to them forgetting that men exist on here too.

leftymac said:
And there are other stupid little things, such as some people addressing their posts on here to "Ladies", but I just chalk that up to them forgetting that men exist on here too.

It annoyed me at NC that the DJ kept telling the 'ladies' to get up and dance! As far as I remember Phil never chose a man to sit in the recliners, either. It was great, though, to see men, other than David Meehan, being recognized onstage.

leftymac said:
Ditto what the others have said. I can say that none of my guests have ever remarked about me being a guy. I don't think they really care. And I don't think it's made one bit of difference in my bookings. Just be a good consultant.

Being a guy though, I can tell you that the company, no matter what they say, clearly markets their business towards a woman. is understandable though since the majority are women. But when they come up with minor incentives, bags to earn etc, they are usually almost always pretty feminine. A minor issue though, since the income earned is geared towards both genders. ;)

I have a guy on my team, and he has spoken of that same thing...along with the fact that even the marketing/promotional materials are geared very much toward women (like the majority of stuff from Merrill.)

I'm not a guy, but I do have one on my team. He is doing well, and he loves the product and doing shows.

Booking shows and being nervous about booking shows is not a gender issue. ;) You will do fine with booking shows, as long as you follow the training and instructions in the New Consultant Guide, and from your recruiter/director.

A top seller from years ago, whose name I shall not mention here, used a gimmick, he was the Tool Man. He carried one of those 5 gallon buckets from a box store and had a bucket tool belt on it as well as the tool belt you wear. He filled them both with kitchen tools. His gimmick, "Your husband has all the right tools to do the job, why shouldn't you?" He did quite well. Then there is Dave Meenan. My understanding is that he sings at his parties and he is also a comic! Me, I am just here. I do well enough though and it is still a novelty to have a guy consultant so that in it self is your gimmick. However, with the back round you have, maybe that could be worked into your plan. Maybe go upscale on the recipes or something like that. Find something unique about you and use it.

When I did my survery, I put in there that they need to address the gentleman. If you have not completed your survey, you might want to add a comment to it. I make sure that I have pictures and information that include men to show this business is for EVERYONE. With that said. Give it a try, you have nothing to loose and so much to gain.

pampchefsarah said:
It annoyed me at NC that the DJ kept telling the 'ladies' to get up and dance! As far as I remember Phil never chose a man to sit in the recliners, either. It was great, though, to see men, other than David Meehan, being recognized onstage.

If he had choosen a man to sit in the recliner he would have been looking for the remote to change the channel at random times. :D and yes i am a guy, and will be on stage next year.
As far as the original question goes bookings are just a question away, sometimes the hard part is to getting over the fear and just asking. The worst they can do is say no. You say thanks and move on

Go for it Rick! You'll enjoy it. I have received comments that the ladies enjoy having a man do the demo. Especially if you only wear the apron...lol I'm quite successful here in Canada and this is only part-time as I work my 40 hrs a week at my regular government job. Go for it.

I noticed more men at conference this year than prior years....GO FOR IT!

Rick, I sent you a Private Message. I'd be happy to talk with you.Dave

I enjoy the business, the tools that sell themselves, and the company of the people I get to meet because I am a consultant. I do this more as a hobby than a way to make money, but I know that there is an oportunity for anyune to make this a successful business.

Thanks everybody for their advice. I'll keep you all posted of my trial and tribulations as I move forward. Cheers!Rick

Hi, Rick!There is a male consultant on our team from ME, and men are making up nearly 10% of direct sellers - in the past, it was about 2%. There is an awesome direct sellers/party plan sellers networking group called the DSWA, Direct Selling Women's Alliance - which also includes men. They have monthly meetings with great speakers -- the first time I heard Richard Fenton & Andrea Waltz (Go For NO!) was at such a meeting.Finally, men in PC do very well. At conference I had many ladies tell me that they want to see a guy "telling them what they need to buy". I wouldn't presume to do so, but follow Doris Christopher's lead of the soft sell and you'll do very well too.There is a yahoo group I think (PC for men) that is not often visited. This site has more spam lately--was better some years ago.If you PM me, or send me an email off my website /scottcooks, I'd be happy to chat more.

1. What do guys look for in a relationship?

Every guy is different, but generally speaking, guys look for someone who is caring, understanding, and supportive. They also want someone who has a good sense of humor and shares similar interests and values.

2. How do guys feel about dating multiple people at once?

Again, it varies from guy to guy. Some may be okay with it, while others may prefer to focus on one person at a time. It's important to communicate and be honest about your expectations and boundaries in a relationship.

3. Is it true that guys are afraid of commitment?

This is a common stereotype, but it really depends on the individual. Some guys may be hesitant to commit because they haven't found the right person or they have had negative experiences in the past, but many guys are open to and actively seeking a committed relationship.

4. What can I do to make a good impression on a guy?

Be yourself! Guys appreciate authenticity and confidence. Show genuine interest in getting to know them and have a positive attitude. A little humor and a genuine smile can also go a long way.

5. How can I tell if a guy is interested in me?

Some signs that a guy may be interested in you include frequent communication, making time to spend with you, and showing genuine interest in your life. However, the best way to know for sure is to communicate and ask them directly how they feel about you.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• RickB
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • Porchechef
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
LeslieSGI
  • NooraK