• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Potential Recruit-Husband Not in Favour

In summary, a woman is interested in becoming a PC consultant, but her husband is against it due to her previous experience with another direct sales company. Suggestions are given on how to address his concerns and encourage the woman to join, including offering to buy back her kit if she doesn't make back her investment within 30 days and highlighting the flexible options and potential for success with PC. It is also mentioned that Partylite, her previous company, had more expenses and requirements compared to PC. Additionally, it is noted that consultants can earn host credits and discounts on products, but should be cautious about overspending.
cheflorraine
Gold Member
Hi all,
I couldn't find a thread on this... so thought I'd ask!
I was talking to a lady today (she's hosting a show for me in December) who's very interested in PC as a business, just lost her job recently, was a chef a few jobs ago...
BUT her husband is very much against it. She sold Partylite (candles) previously, and that didn't work out so well (just didn't get the sales).
He's told her that she needs to get a full-time job first, then she can become a pc consultant. (He must be worried that this will cost her money rather than her making money from it).
So - she still wants to hold the party, but even that is a little dicey...

Any suggestions for how to deal with this? I obviously don't want to promote conflict in a marriage...

I was just in a training with Amy Neal from the HO yesterday where we discussed this!It's a very touchy situation. It sounds like there are two concerns here: 1) she won't succeed, and 2) she's going to spend $$ and not see a return on her investment.Basically, with the $$ thing, try this tactic, if you are comfortable- tell her that if she completes 4 shows in her first 30 days and does not make back her kit you will buy her kit back from her.I know that sounds scary, but here's the deal. If she submits 4 shows, shows have to be at least $150 each. Most likely they will be more than that. Average shows are $400. So let's say she submits (conservatively) $1000 in sales. That is FAR below the per show average for four shows. She is going to make $200 on her base commission plus the overrides she'll get for selling more than $750... she's definitely going to earn her kit investment back.The "she just didn't get the sales" thing- I would just tell her that if she is willing to come to trainings and try the tactics that you are sharing she will succeed. If she is willing to hold two cooking shows a week she will succeed- the sales will come if she books the shows.Whether or not she communicates this to her husband or he gets on board you can't control. I would highly recommend speaking with your director and asking your director to "interview" this woman with you because she will be very well equipped to handle a situation like this, don't try to take it on yourself. GL.

He seems to be upset at the idea of joining, not having a party. I would still go forward with the party. I would also do the recruiting interview with her husband. Address his concerns too.

If her party is successful, she can opt for the $40 kit credit...which is good for 6 months. You mention he'll be fine with her joining when she finds a FT job, so she can join and have the credit once it is "right" for them. He will probably appreciate that you are considering their finances, saving them $40. And he'll also appreciate you including him and his concerns. Validate that Partylite did not work for her, but focus that as a prior chef will be a natural progression for PC. Highlight why PC is working for you....address what excites you about the biz.

And what requirements did Partylite have? We all know that some DS companies have you buying more out of pocket- like the Host benefits, or inventory, or they have unrealistic or unattainable Sales Requirements to remain active (and the consultant spends money just to stay active- "Been There, Done That- Got the T-Shirt!")Maybe he doesn't realize that with PC- we don't HAVE to spend money to get started beyond our kit. Many of us DO, yes...but it's not truly necessary- especially if you can show her some methods to get started (or your director). But like Kara said- she'll likely earn more money than expected once she does her first 4 shows.So maybe finding out what his hesitation is more specifically might help you answer the question that hasn't been asked.

Just an FYI but if your grand opening w/PartyLite is 300... you get your kit for free, and every additional dollar you get to go shopping for additional products. They purchase their candles at 1/2 off, and paperwork isn't that expensive. The problem is they have gorgeous stuff and most consultants want it all... and many make the mistake of buying it, especially the new items. (especially at christmas time)

and that's my been there... have the t-shirt moment for the day :)

The Kit Credit is good for 6 months? I thought you had to use it or lose Host Credit on that show...

Have you mentioned the mini kit to her? Since it's only $65, if she earned enough at her party for the $40 kit credit, that would only be a $25 investment to start a business. Maybe if it was put to her husband that way, he'd be less reluctant.

The kit credit is not available for the mini kit. That would rock though!

BethanyN said:
Have you mentioned the mini kit to her? Since it's only $65, if she earned enough at her party for the $40 kit credit, that would only be a $25 investment to start a business. Maybe if it was put to her husband that way, he'd be less reluctant.

As far as I know you cannot use the kit credit on the small kit. Maybe I'm mistaken though.

pcchefjane said:
The Kit Credit is good for 6 months? I thought you had to use it or lose Host Credit on that show...

Yes, the kit credit is available for the host to apply for 6 months. She has to choose the credit (using her free product value) at the close of her party. Once she's chosen the kit credit, she then has 6 months to join and redeem.

The kit credit is only applicable for the $155 consultant kit.

Thanks all for the suggestions... I will get in touch with my director as well.
Good to know that the kit credit can only be used with the full starter kit - I wasn't sure about that.
Also very good news that she can take up to 6 months to redeem her kit credit! That would definitely help me make the decision in favor, knowing that I didn't need to rush into a decision!

1. What should I do if my potential recruit-husband is not in favour of joining the military?

If your potential recruit-husband is not in favour of joining the military, it is important to have an open and honest conversation with them about their concerns and reasons for not wanting to join. Try to understand their perspective and address any fears or anxieties they may have. It is also important to consider if joining the military is truly the best decision for both of you as a couple.

2. How can I convince my potential recruit-husband to join the military?

It is not advisable to try to convince someone to join the military if they are not interested. It is ultimately their decision and they should not be pressured into something they do not want to do. Instead, focus on understanding their concerns and discussing the potential benefits and drawbacks of joining the military together.

3. Will my potential recruit-husband's decision affect our relationship?

It is possible that your potential recruit-husband's decision may have an impact on your relationship. It is important to have open and honest communication about both of your hopes, fears, and expectations. If one person feels strongly against joining the military, it may be necessary to consider other options or compromises for the sake of the relationship.

4. What if my potential recruit-husband changes his mind after joining the military?

If your potential recruit-husband changes his mind after joining the military, it is important to support him and have open communication about his concerns. Military service can be challenging and it is important to be understanding and patient with each other. Seek support from friends, family, or military resources if needed.

5. Can my potential recruit-husband be discharged from the military if he decides he no longer wants to serve?

It is possible for a service member to be discharged from the military if they choose to leave before their contract is up. However, this can have consequences on their benefits and future opportunities. It is important to carefully consider the decision to join the military before signing a contract. If your potential recruit-husband is having doubts, encourage them to speak with a military counselor or mentor for guidance.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefmelody
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
janetupnorth
  • emiscookin
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
emiscookin
  • Tropicalburstqt2