• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Not Providing a Ssn/Itin # on Agreement

In summary, Pampered Chef does not have the employee status of a consultant, so they are not liable for withholding taxes. However, their recruiter requires that all new consultants provide their social security number and identification number in order to avoid any potential withholdings. Furthermore, because Pampered Chef is not an employer, their new consultants would have to contact the IRS directly to inquire about their tax obligations.
Liquid Sky
Why does PC make it an "option" to provide a SSN or ITIN # when completing a new consultant agreement? I know there's verbage about withholding 30% of the commission for tax purposes if someone does not provide that info.

Isn't it a "standard" in the US for all employers to require SSN's or ITIN's to make sure they are not hiring illegal immigrants? I have a new recruit who did not want to provide that info. I let her know how PC will withhold monies for taxes and she said she'd rather go that route b/c she's "very cautious about giving out that info".

All I see are RED FLAGS. The last thing I want to do is sign and train a new consultant and find down the road they are not legal and whatever "mess" that may come out of that. I just want to spend my time working with "legit" team members.

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences? TIA!

Could you have her complete the agreement online so that you don't have a hard copy with the number? That may be what she's nervous about. But since the online agreement goes directly to HO to be processed, then the number won't be on paper that could be lost.I'd also point out the verbage about withholding commission to her. 30% is a lot for her to miss out on. And although I haven't had to work with this situation, I imagine that tax time is more difficult if HO can't print SSN on the 1099.

Liquid Sky said:
Why does PC make it an "option" to provide a SSN or ITIN # when completing a new consultant agreement? I know there's verbage about withholding 30% of the commission for tax purposes if someone does not provide that info.

Isn't it a "standard" in the US for all employers to require SSN's or ITIN's to make sure they are not hiring illegal immigrants? I have a new recruit who did not want to provide that info. I let her know how PC will withhold monies for taxes and she said she'd rather go that route b/c she's "very cautious about giving out that info".

All I see are RED FLAGS. The last thing I want to do is sign and train a new consultant and find down the road they are not legal and whatever "mess" that may come out of that. I just want to spend my time working with "legit" team members.

Thoughts? Opinions? Experiences? TIA!
Pampered Chef is not our employer - we are independent contractors. I would have her call HO and talk to someone in finance so they can explain how and why and her options. And since you have such concerns I would also suggest you call HO too and get your concerns answered.

Call HO, ask for finance and hand her the phone. Good Grief.

That's ridiculous, she isn't interested and it's an excuse. I'd move on and forget her if I were you.

I know a LOT of people, including one of my sisters and my Mom who are VERY weary about giving anyone their social. I agree with the others on contacting HO. I have no doubt that they have dealt with this before. I have had outside sales that called in their orders during a party and requested to talk to me because they didn't want the host to have their CC info. (they would rather give it to a stranger). People are funny that way, especially with that type of information.

I lost a recruit for the same info. She was excited, had all sorts of plans and started filling out the agreement. When I got it, I noticed she did not include her SSN....when we spoke about it she said she did not want to mess with taxes, did not want to alter her tax bracket and that she would not sign up.

We went round and round with options, and the bottom line was no, thank you. If HO holds 30% commission and allows us to go online and skip the SSN....I may be able to revisit the subject! lol

Jolie_Paradoxe said:
I lost a recruit for the same info. She was excited, had all sorts of plans and started filling out the agreement. When I got it, I noticed she did not include her SSN....when we spoke about it she said she did not want to mess with taxes, did not want to alter her tax bracket and that she would not sign up.
In practice, she'd probably have enough business deductions in her first year that she'd actually end up in a LOWER tax bracket.

If you have ever dealt with identity theft or know someone who has, you would be a little more cautious too ... but the Consultant Agreement is not like you giving your Social Security Number to Blockbuster to open an account. Good grief! Even thought it's technically NOT a job application, it's along the same lines. Maybe that would make more sense to her if you explained it that way (without the Blockbuster sarcasm of course). ;)

I think that it also keeps people from signing up more than once (you know, to keep yourself active as a director or such). You can change the name of a consultant but you cannot change their social security number.

chefann said:
In practice, she'd probably have enough business deductions in her first year that she'd actually end up in a LOWER tax bracket.

That's exactly what I told her. She also has a cpa friend who does her taxes, so the headache of filing should not have been an issue. Then I asked her if she was receiving any unemployment or disability, to which she stated no....she works one FT job and a PT job. I was also direct and asked if there was a question of legality! lol I covered all sorts of angles, but she was adamant that she would not sign up if an SSN was required.

It remained a mystery for me....who knows, maybe she's on the run! He He...just kidding. I truly never learned more other than her fear of higher tax bracket...though I did cover that biz deductions could only help her current situation. :eek:

1. Why do I need to provide my SSN/ITIN on the agreement?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, you are considered an independent contractor. This means that you are responsible for reporting your earnings to the IRS. Providing your SSN/ITIN ensures that your earnings are accurately reported and you can receive tax forms at the end of the year.

2. Can I still sign the agreement if I do not have a SSN/ITIN?

Unfortunately, no. In order to comply with IRS regulations, we require all consultants to provide a valid SSN/ITIN on the agreement.

3. Will my SSN/ITIN be kept secure?

Yes, we take the security and privacy of your personal information very seriously. Your SSN/ITIN will only be used for tax purposes and will be kept confidential in our secure database.

4. What happens if I do not provide my SSN/ITIN?

If you do not provide your SSN/ITIN, you will not be able to sign the agreement and become a Pampered Chef consultant. This is necessary for compliance with IRS regulations and to ensure accurate reporting of earnings.

5. Can I provide my ITIN instead of my SSN?

Yes, you can provide either your SSN or ITIN on the agreement. Both are acceptable forms of identification for tax reporting purposes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• jennyl
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Jewel
  • ChefBeckyD
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • pamperedpsalmstress