• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Difference Between Cream Cheese Block Vs Tub

LOL! They are so good tho!!! We don't get them either, even tho we love them. Just too expensive for what they are and it's actually quite easy to make your own version....especially w/ the PC sprinkles! :love:But I looooooooove taking a 8 oz tub of garden vegetable cream cheese and adding it to an 8 oz container of cool whip. It is so good with potato chips :)cool whip???cool whip?Yes, cool whip.
kam
Staff member
Silly question...figure someone on here might know.

What is the difference between the 8-oz block of Cream Cheese and an 8-oz tub of Cream Cheese Spread?

Nothing that I know of -- convenience of it being in a tub if you aren't using the whole block. I substitute them.

I think w/ the tub, more air is whipped into the cream cheese...for a lighter texture. The block is more "concentrated", as you could say. ;)

Usually, if the air has been whipped in, it is called "whipped".

Usually the tub is more spreadable right out of the fridge. I'm not sure as to whether it's whipped or not, but I know that it's more spreadable.

janezapchef said:
Usually, if the air has been whipped in, it is called "whipped".

Yes, indeed....but take a look at the ounces in the container. You'll find the tubs contain LESS weight than the blocks. That's because air is whipped into it. Now, it's not as light and airy as "whipped" b/c even MORE AIR is put into the "whipped" brand. ;)

Hmmm, good to know! Thanks!

Liquid Sky said:
Yes, indeed....but take a look at the ounces in the container. You'll find the tubs contain LESS weight than the blocks. That's because air is whipped into it. Now, it's not as light and airy as "whipped" b/c even MORE AIR is put into the "whipped" brand. ;)

Nope, I have both bricks and tubs of cream cheese in my fridge right now. Both are 8oz packages.

I wonder if it's 8 oz liquid or 8 oz weight, though. There'd be a difference...

I have a generic brand of block light cream cheese, and I have a tub of Philiadelphia light cream cheese. Both are weight. They're not the same brand, so I don't know if that plays into it. Assuming for a second that the generic block of cream cheese I have is the same as Philadelphia: in the block cream cheese, 1 oz (28 g) is 70 calories. In the tub, 2 T (31 g) is 70 calories. So it looks like the tub cream cheese is whipped a little bit. You would need more weight (3 g) of the tub cream cheese to equal that of the block cream cheese.

Now you all have me obsessed with this. I looked up the nutritional info for block Philadelphia Light Cream Cheese, and 2 T is 90 calories. Again, the tub is 70 calories for 2 T, so it looks like yes, air is incorporated in the tub (and, generic has fewer calories!)

myinnerchef said:
Nope, I have both bricks and tubs of cream cheese in my fridge right now. Both are 8oz packages.

Question is...what is the size (g) of 1 serving? Even tho both packages are 8 oz...how much do you actually get in a serving size in grams from both containers?

dianevill said:
I have a generic brand of block light cream cheese, and I have a tub of Philiadelphia light cream cheese. Both are weight. They're not the same brand, so I don't know if that plays into it. Assuming for a second that the generic block of cream cheese I have is the same as Philadelphia: in the block cream cheese, 1 oz (28 g) is 70 calories. In the tub, 2 T (31 g) is 70 calories. So it looks like the tub cream cheese is whipped a little bit. You would need more weight (3 g) of the tub cream cheese to equal that of the block cream cheese.

Ah, yes....you answered my question. So basically, even tho both containers are 8 oz...you are actually paying more $ for the tubs and getting less product b/c air is incorporated into the cream cheese.

I liked the airy versions too...but I stick to the block....more value for the $n:D

Liquid Sky said:
Ah, yes....you answered my question. So basically, even tho both containers are 8 oz...you are actually paying more $ for the tubs and getting less product b/c air is incorporated into the cream cheese.

I liked the airy versions too...but I stick to the block....more value for the $n:D

I agree! Now if I could just get my DH to stop buying all the flavored cream cheese tubs...

BlessedWifeMommy said:
I agree! Now if I could just get my DH to stop buying all the flavored cream cheese tubs...

LOL! They are so good tho!!! We don't get them either, even tho we love them. Just too expensive for what they are and it's actually quite easy to make your own version....especially w/ the PC sprinkles! :love:

But I looooooooove taking a 8 oz tub of garden vegetable cream cheese and adding it to an 8 oz container of cool whip. It is so good with potato chips :)

cool whip??? i'm sorry that doesn't sound very good with veggie cream cheese

Teresa Lynn said:
cool whip??? i'm sorry that doesn't sound very good with veggie cream cheese

It is totally awesome :) I didn't think it sounded good either but once you try it you will love it :)

I would probably substitute sour cream that makes every thing awesome

Off topic but I had to comment

When I was a little girl - me and my cousins - they were 7 & 9 years older than me - each of us would get a tub of cool whip out of the freezer and but into the refrig just before Wednesday Night movie came on and then about half way through the movie we would get the cool whip and eat it - we each had our own tub. If was better than potatoe chips and dip

Sorry to hijack

:chef:

dianevill said:

So the block of cream cheese really has more cream cheese...

I only ask since I have a recipe that calls for 1 8-oz tub of cream cheese - and I never keep the tub. I always have the block on hand. I was concerned about subbing one for the other. I guess for a dip, it won't matter, but if I was trying to make some kind of dough, it would.

kam said:
So the block of cream cheese really has more cream cheese...

I only ask since I have a recipe that calls for 1 8-oz tub of cream cheese - and I never keep the tub. I always have the block on hand. I was concerned about subbing one for the other. I guess for a dip, it won't matter, but if I was trying to make some kind of dough, it would.

And you definitely don't want to sub a tub of cream cheese for a block of cream cheese when you are making cheesecake!

I can’t find block cream cheese nearby, but I found a tub of Philadelphia cream cheese. I’m making basque burnt cheese cake, so I need to substitute with the tub cream cheese. How much tub cream cheese should I use in place of 8-oz block of cream cheese?

1. What is the difference between cream cheese block and tub?

Cream cheese block is a solid block of cream cheese, while cream cheese tub is a spreadable version of cream cheese that comes in a tub.

2. Can I use cream cheese block and tub interchangeably in recipes?

Yes, you can use both cream cheese block and tub in recipes, but keep in mind that the texture and consistency may differ slightly.

3. Which one is better for baking - cream cheese block or tub?

Cream cheese block is typically better for baking as it has a firmer texture and holds its shape better in recipes. However, cream cheese tub can also be used in baking with some adjustments.

4. Is there a difference in taste between cream cheese block and tub?

Both cream cheese block and tub have a similar taste, but some people may find that the block version has a slightly stronger and richer flavor.

5. How should I store cream cheese block and tub?

Cream cheese block should be stored in the refrigerator in its original packaging, while cream cheese tub should be tightly sealed and also stored in the refrigerator. Both should be consumed within a week after opening.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
Bren706
  • kcjodih
  • Recipes and Tips
Replies
Views
Teresa Lynn
Replies
Views
babywings76