• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How Do You Deal With "Kit-Nappers"?

In summary, the employee saw my catalog tote and asked if I sold PC. I told her yes, and she wanted a catalog so I gave her one. We talked about hosting a show, and she said she only wanted the starter kit. I told her she could do both MK and PC, and she said she didn't know yet but she would buy the starter kit.
pamperedcheermom
I was in a store last week and one of the employees saw my catalog tote. She asked if I sold PC and I told her yes. She asked for a catalog so I gave her one and talked to her about hosting a show. She wants to do one in May. THEN she asked how much the starter kit is so I told her. I started talking about the company and telling her about the March recruiting promotion and she said she only wanted the starter kit. She's already doing MK but I told her she can do both.
I went back to the store tonight and saw her again and we talked some more. She said she didn't know if she would "sell" PC but she would buy the starter kit.

Is there not a way to avoid this? The kit is there for anyone to buy at a ridiculously cheap price. Seems like PC would do something to prevent that unless they actually planned to work the business. I thought she was a good recruit but all I'm seeing now is another "kit-napper"!:(

I say tar and feather them!

it sounds to me like she really is not interested in selling. i would tell her that all of the consultants on your team have to line up 4 - 6 shows, complete with host names and phone numbers, before signing. tell her that part of your training program is to do 3-way host coaching for those 4-6 shows.

you will likely call her bluff by doing this. If she is willing to do 4 shows, then at least PC has made some $$ off her before she disappears.

i have had one kit napper - she signed, supposedly scheduled a few shows...then called me from the psych ward a few days before her training! i was understanding about the situation and we are still on speaking terms.

hope that helps

Just explain to her that PC holds her to submitting 4 shows. If she wants the kit she at least has to give it a try. After that she can do what she wants with it.

I had the same thing happen to me, in fact at a store, however she didn't sell anything else and she wasn't as blatent about it like that LOL But she saw my catty tote bag asked me about PC and then said I want to "do" PC. She was all gung ho, even had the interview with me and my director got signed and then submitted one show for only $175. I would call her and get her voice mail, I went by the store and she said her daughter is having "issues" so that right now she is not working her biz as her daughter was more important and I had to agree. But then as the year went on she avoided any eye contact with me when talking and would not talk PC at all. It's been over a year so she would have to sign again. Turns out after all this it's not the first time she has done this to PC :(

Does HO do anything about Kit-nappers?

I could be wrong, but I think they get a 1099 !

BlessedWifeMommy said:
Does HO do anything about Kit-nappers?

No, they do not.

pjpamchef said:
I could be wrong, but I think they get a 1099 !

You don't get a 1099 unless you made more than $600 in commission during the year.

Crystal Patton said:
I say tar and feather them!

My sentiments exactly! That's what I keep thinking every time I've seen this heading come up in new posts today! I've had too many kit-nappers, and it drives me nuts! I must just be seriously gullible to believe these people are going to do SOMETHING!

I had one....my very FIRST recruit. It was so frustrating!

That's a FABULOUS idea to do 3 way host coaching calls :)

Also, at our meetings they've been training us to do grand opening shows. That way the new consultant is observing you doing a show for their friends and family, hopefully to save money on the kit and for you to get their first 4-6 shows lined up. That way, at least you've made a bit of commission, and if they don't do anything maybe their bookings will still hold, but with you!

pckellyd said:
Also, at our meetings they've been training us to do grand opening shows. That way the new consultant is observing you doing a show for their friends and family, hopefully to save money on the kit and for you to get their first 4-6 shows lined up. That way, at least you've made a bit of commission, and if they don't do anything maybe their bookings will still hold, but with you!

This is a very good idea! Whenever it works out, I do this, whether it is to get kit credit or after they sign. It makes the chances far better that they won't kit-nap!

I'll be honest, thats basically what my plan was. I wanted everything in the kit, it was a great deal, but I also wanted those PC$ that could be earned in the first 90 days. My only objective was to get the entire forged cutlery set for as cheap as I could. Now, that was my plan!

But today, I have the entire set of the forged cutlery, and I got it for about $5... And, I'm still selling. Not as strongly as a lot, but I submit about 1 show every month, sometimes more. I'm even starting to think that I should push myself harder and try to get atleast 3-4 shows a month in. It really is good money for the little work you put into it.

I advertize for kit-nappers. (attached) But I spin it as: you have to do $1250 in sales before you can walk away. That is how it was pitched to me and I swung - fully intending to walk, like Andrea. But I got hooked and I love it!!

But for real kit-napper I still say tar & feather them. LOL

Attachments

• Kitnappers Wanted.doc
    25 KB · Views: 787
Crystal Patton said:
I advertize for kit-nappers. (attached) But I spin it as: you have to do $1250 in sales before you can walk away. That is how it was pitched to me and I swung - fully intending to walk, like Andrea. But I got hooked and I love it!!

But for real kit-napper I still say tar & feather them. LOL

I never thought of myself as a kitnapper! When I signed, my only intention was to do 6 shows (that was the requirement then) and get out- complete with my kit products, and FREE Simple Additions. (the carrot they were dangling at that time) However, I was hooked after my first Cooking Show!

I love the flyer Crystal! I may borrow that! Looks like a good "hook"!

pcchefjane said:
I love the flyer Crystal! I may borrow that! Looks like a good "hook"!

No - I have a copyright on it.

JUST KIDDING!!! Of course you can - help yourself!!!

If you get a recruit off of it send them my way. LOL

I personally don't see anything wrong with getting the kit, fulfilling the requirements for qualifying (by selling at least $1250 in your first 90 days) & then calling it quits. It's not like we're under a contract or anything.... But, I don't think that is what you guys are referring to when you say "kit-napper." I assume you guys are talking about people who buy the kit with no intention of qualifying?

I don't see a problem when you fill the requirements. To me kitnapping is getting the kit and then not fulfilling your end of the contract. That is kitnapping. Otherwise, you did what you said you would do and that's that. But if you do not submit your $1250 and keep everything you just kitnapped LOL

First of all, correct me if I am wrong, but the kit is not an item you purchase. There is a contract involved that you agree to and in return for your $155, you get the products, paperwork, etc. There is an obligation to do $1250 and then you can be released from the obligation/contract.

I have had 1 KN and it totally PO'd me. First, I think it's a reflection on myself and how I run my business. Second, I see it as a reflection on the KN's part. It's a matter of intergity. You agree to something, do it. Personally, I thing HO needs to come up with something, some consequence for the KN, and at the very minimum charge their credit card or bill them for the retail value of the products.

As you can see, I am in a foul mood tonight. All this rain is making me cranky!!

PamperChefCarol said:
First of all, correct me if I am wrong, but the kit is not an item you purchase. There is a contract involved that you agree to and in return for your $155, you get the products, paperwork, etc. There is an obligation to do $1250 and then you can be released from the obligation/contract.

I have had 1 KN and it totally PO'd me. First, I think it's a reflection on myself and how I run my business. Second, I see it as a reflection on the KN's part. It's a matter of intergity. You agree to something, do it. Personally, I thing HO needs to come up with something, some consequence for the KN, and at the very minimum charge their credit card or bill them for the retail value of the products.

As you can see, I am in a foul mood tonight. All this rain is making me cranky!!
It's making me a little feisty too! Good thing DS took a nap this afternoon!

Our street is flooding from so much rain. I keep telling myself that at least it's not snow!:rolleyes:

Yeah, I agree. When I signed up, I assumed there would be some kind of penalty if I didn't qualify. I was very surprised to find out there is not. I figured I would be charged something to make up for the price of the kit, but that is not the case. It all seems a little too good to be true, so I can see how it would make "kit-napping" very easy.

If HO does nothing to someone in this case, do you think they'd let them sign up again...say 3 years later??

YES, I'm referring to people who admit they only want the kit but have no desire to sell. Why get excited about signing someone like that when I won't benefit from them. The girl I spoke to at the store last week admitted she probably won't sell but would buy the kit. OK........then I have no desire to sign her up. She's already in another direct selling business anyway and works fulltime at her regular job so I have to wonder if she would even attempt PC if she wanted to.

I'll do a show for her but I won't mention recruiting again. I don't have time for that.

Honestly, many DS businesses promote kitnapping. It's what sets apart The Pampered Chef - because it is an actual business model, designed to encourage someone to succeed.
Many DS Companies encourage people to "buy the kit" or "sign up" knowing full well they are doing it just to get a discount for them and their friends, and that they never intend to actually make a go of the business.I think that is why people question this, and ask about just buying the kit but not selling - because it's the norm with so many other businesses.

ChefBeckyD said:
Honestly, many DS businesses promote kitnapping. It's what sets apart The Pampered Chef - because it is an actual business model, designed to encourage someone to succeed.
Many DS Companies encourage people to "buy the kit" or "sign up" knowing full well they are doing it just to get a discount for them and their friends, and that they never intend to actually make a go of the business.

I think that is why people question this, and ask about just buying the kit but not selling - because it's the norm with so many other businesses.

But, those other businesses are also a lot more expensive.... Our kit is only $155 - with no real "catch." My friend who sells Silpada had to pay $200 to get started, and she didn't get ANY jewelry! (I have no idea what that $200 included, but you'd think she would get something out of it...) I don't know about other companies, but Pampered Chef has a pretty incredible start-up package.

dancedivine said:
But, those other businesses are also a lot more expensive.... Our kit is only $155 - with no real "catch." My friend who sells Silpada had to pay $200 to get started, and she didn't get ANY jewelry! (I have no idea what that $200 included, but you'd think she would get something out of it...) I don't know about other companies, but Pampered Chef has a pretty incredible start-up package.

I agree! PC's starter kit is great and since there's nothing that says they can't buy it just to have it.........then why not. I don't agree with that and I think HO should come up with a way to stop it. When someone signs under us we get excited and think we're actually growing our team. Then when we find out they only did it to get the kit, that's very disappointing. But to have someone tell me up front that's all she's doing.........it makes me not want to bother with her.
My director did a show last week and my very first recruit was there. I told her she probably would be because the show was for her neighbor. She talked to her and told her she should get started with PC but the girl admitted that she only wanted the kit. She NEVER said that to me when I was signing her up and thinking I really had a good recruit. Maybe I should have read between the lines but ..........too late now.

My 2nd recruit qualified and did a few shows after that and then nothing. She won't come to a meeting, she rarely answers my calls or emails, I've decided to leave her alone. She's a big girl and she knows what to do and I can't make her. Now this 3rd girl who I thought was joining has said she won't sell but wants the kit............I'm not even going to bother with her anymore.

It's disappointing but there ARE people out there who want this business and I intend to find them! :)

Well, I don't call a person a kit napper unless they never bother to qualify - or never even submit, just walk away with the products... We want to people to TRY PC - honestly you are just getting a taste at 6 shows so most people who are going to stick with it keep trucking after their obligation is over.

But that being said, I didn't qualify until my 5th month! so I didn't do antyhing during my SS period - but I kept goingto clusters & learning all I could. Looking back, I should have signed up when I was ready to get out there, but I felt like I had a lot of learning to do before I could do it myself...

Esther

ChefEsther said:
Well, I don't call a person a kit napper unless they never bother to qualify - or never even submit, just walk away with the products... We want to people to TRY PC - honestly you are just getting a taste at 6 shows so most people who are going to stick with it keep trucking after their obligation is over.

But that being said, I didn't qualify until my 5th month! so I didn't do antyhing during my SS period - but I kept goingto clusters & learning all I could. Looking back, I should have signed up when I was ready to get out there, but I felt like I had a lot of learning to do before I could do it myself...

Esther

Hey, nothing wrong with that, Esther! You still qualified eventually and were constantly working toward that goal! The TRUE kit-nappers -- the ones who do nothing -- are the ones I think we are referring to here. What's even worse is when they give you the impression that they will be working towards it, no matter how slowly, and then fall of the face of the planet and never are heard from again -- truly stole the heck out of the products!

I have two recruits. One who, I believe, really wanted to do the business when she signed, but life got in the way for the first couple of months, and she never, even 6 months later, never submitted anything. She can be labeled a kitnapper.

My other recruit (a good friend) took months before even agreeing to do a show, but, with all the 'gentle' hints I dropped, by the time the show was held she had decided to use the FPV for a kit credit. It wasn't until AFTER she qualified (within her 30 days) that she admitted only wanting to get the kit and the PC dollars - she's having so much fun, though, and doing such an awesome job, she's already one of the top sellers on my Director's team!

I have had about 5 KN in the last 5 yrs...it seemed that everyone I signed never did anything, it was embarrassing to me! It happened so often that I shied away from even mentioning recruiting because I didn't want it to keep happening!
Fortunately, this year has been a different story, I've got girls who actually seem interested, but sheesh...It's frustrating!

I was a kit napper for Lia Sophia but I didn't intend to be. I figured selling for PC was so easy, I'd sign up for Lia Sophia too. I had never seen the products before the first show I attended which is when and where I signed up. I was very excited becasue everything was so beautiful. Then, I got the products and was VERY disappointed. The first 3 things I wore were defected in some way. That's when I refused to sell it. I won't sell something I don't believe in myself. I've written a letter to explain that I did not intend to be a kitnapper and that they should check their quality control.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• naekelsey
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • pamperedcheermom
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
NooraK
  • pcsharon1