• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Purchasing Kit for Possible Recruit

In summary, the conversation is about whether or not someone should advance the kit price to a possible recruit who is a single mom and currently unemployed. Some people advise against it, as it can lead to financial loss and the recruit should find ways to raise the money themselves. Others suggest offering a kit rebate or helping them get bookings in order to earn the money back. It is also recommended to make sure the recruit has at least four bookings before signing up.
pkd09
Silver Member
Has anyone ever advanced the kit price to a possible recruit? I know someone who would be good at this business. She is a single mom with a teenage son. She is currently unemployed. She was planning to sign this month but all of a sudden she has had some unexpected financial expenses. I have mentioned to her if she knows someone who would possibly advance her the money until she gets her first commission check. Is this something I should really stay away from? I only know her from a show she hosted.

I would never cover the cost myself. I would help her come up with creative ways to get the money. Borrow from a friend, credit card (?), save up a little each week or month and hold off signing on till she has the money, garage sale, babysitting, etc. If she hosts then she can take the kit credit coupon and you could give the bookings to her for her first shows.

I agree with Amanda, DO NOT do this. So many consultants have been burned by doing this. Plus it would be her business, she should really do it herself.

I would advise against it. She can ask her family to invest in her business instead of purchasing products from her and she can get the money together that way. Or she can have a yard sale or sell things on Craigslist. You may offer her some sort of kit rebate, but I would not front the money. She can also host a show and use kit credit.

DON'T DO IT!!!

Take it from one who has been there! Don't do it. Find ways to help her raise the money herself i.e. garage sale, loan from family, have a show and get the kit credit, put it on a credit card then W-O-R-K so the money earned will pay it off at the end of the month.

Chef Kearns said:
DON'T DO IT!!!

Take it from one who has been there! Don't do it. Find ways to help her raise the money herself i.e. garage sale, loan from family, have a show and get the kit credit, put it on a credit card then W-O-R-K so the money earned will pay it off at the end of the month.

Ditto! (not gonna admit how many times, though) :eek:

Chef Kearns said:
DON'T DO IT!!!

That's what I did, credit carded it, then paid it off with my commissions!;)

yep, i did it once she never sold, never returned my calls nothing and now when she sees me she goes the other way

I have just done it for somone but she is a pastor's wife and a great host for three years. I was already offering a partial kit rebate and just fronted that portion to her. She is so on-fire and excited about the business that I will get everything back tenfold. Go with your gut; however, I would not do it for someone I didn't know.

You could offer to go to her first show or two with her. Use your products and then sign her up with your money when you know she'll be submitting something and getting a paycheck. Some people really do just need a little help and they'll take off but some people just can't get motivated. Good luck.

I'd advise her also to make sure she has four bookings ON HER CALENDAR before signing up. Don't let her have her own show as one of these four. Then, reasoning that she will earn her money back AND make a profit, family members may well be able to loan her the start-up money.

Thank you all for your input and reinforcing what my brain was thinking. I am a bleeding heart sometimes. I did suggest if she knew someone who would be willing to help her get going in her business until her first check arrived. I am going to stay in touch with her and hopefully she can get it together for March.

DON'T DO IT!!!
I did it for someone over a year ago. I have never been paid back.
AND she never did anything past her "Grand Opening" that I DID!
Grrr
:(

I did it... she never did a show and she still owes me money. She was a friend of a friend. I have learned my lesson. I now offer kit rebates. I also provide ways for her to earn the money in advance like mentioned above, yard sales, her own show for the kit credit, asking family to contribute, etc...

The only thing I would consider is that if she doesn't make the cost of the kit back in commission after 4 shows, refund the difference.

If they are seriously interested in the business they will find a way. $155 is not that steep.

floccies said:
The only thing I would consider is that if she doesn't make the cost of the kit back in commission after 4 shows, refund the difference.

If they are seriously interested in the business they will find a way. $155 is not that steep.

That's a given though, or I would think they would realize--it's $150 for a show to count. So after just 2 shows, they recovered the cost. They could pay someone back with interest even if they wanted. ;)

I have considered doing this myself but have never gone thru with it. What I was planning to do was (for a friend) have her go to 4 shows with me and help me out like set up, take down, prep etc. If she does a really good job then it would be like I paid her to help me out, but it is also good training for the new recruit. Then have her do a show at her house and use kit credit for part and front the rest if she still needs it (that would be her payment for helping with your shows). This will let her know what to expect, and give her a chance to see if it is something she really wants to do or not, it may even help if she has kids to see how long she will need a sitter and the cost and stuff. But like everyone else said make sure she has 4 shows booked before she signs, I didn't realize how important that was when I signed but Im glad I did it.

I have done this once, but it was for my benefit as well. I have a consultant who wanted to sign (I did a show for her but did not know her before that, met at a booth), but just didn't have it right then. I knew she was going to do it, she just needed the time to come up with the money, but she was already getting her ducks in a row. This was right before leadership and I really wanted to go, so I fronted her the money. I got it back, (but it this case I would not have been totally mad, b/c I got it back 10 fold by what I got out of leadership!!)

My advice.... be very cautious!!!

1. What is included in the Purchasing Kit for Possible Recruit?

The Purchasing Kit for Possible Recruit includes a variety of items and materials to help potential recruits learn more about our company and the opportunities available. This includes informational brochures, company swag, and a detailed overview of our recruitment process.

2. How much does the Purchasing Kit for Possible Recruit cost?

The Purchasing Kit for Possible Recruit is provided free of charge to all potential recruits. We believe in providing resources and support to individuals who are interested in joining our team, without any financial barriers.

3. How can I request a Purchasing Kit for Possible Recruit?

To request a Purchasing Kit for Possible Recruit, simply fill out the form on our website or reach out to our recruitment team. We will then process your request and send the kit to you as soon as possible.

4. Can I customize the materials in the Purchasing Kit for Possible Recruit?

Unfortunately, we are unable to customize the materials in the Purchasing Kit for Possible Recruit at this time. However, we are always looking for feedback and suggestions on how to improve our resources for potential recruits.

5. Is the Purchasing Kit for Possible Recruit available internationally?

Currently, the Purchasing Kit for Possible Recruit is only available within the United States. We are working on expanding our resources to international locations in the near future, so please check back for updates.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• otisbg
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
otisbg
  • cewcooks
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
raebates
  • sburnside