• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Changing the Social Stigma of Men in Pampered Chef

In summary, the show last night was a nightmare. My host's boyfriend was the biggest recruit lead I have ever encountered. His excitement made me excited! He watched the Your Life Your Way DVD twice the night before the show and got there early to check out the products. He kept saying things like "Wow, I could really sell something like this to people!" (holding the chef's knife) He was SO into it, I was looking forward to asking him to coffee to discuss the biz. But he bolted after the guests arrived. I felt nauseous last night! I personally know 2 male consultants that would be happy to talk with him about the biz from a man's perspective. How do I make him feel better? Can
Get_Pampered
Gold Member
So, my show last night was a nightmare. My host's boyfriend was the biggest recruit lead I have ever encountered. His excitement made me excited! He watched the Your Life Your Way DVD twice the night before the show and got there early to check out the products. He kept saying things like "Wow, I could really sell something like this to people!" (holding the chef's knife) He was SO into it, I was looking forward to asking him to coffee to discuss the biz.

My host's guests arrived (about 5 women) and once he saw all women...POOF! he was gone. Come to find out, he sat outside in his truck the whole time and then drove home. I felt nauseous last night! I personally know 2 male consultants that would be happy to talk with him about the biz from a man's perspective. How do I make him feel better? Can I? How can we change the idea that PC is a "girl thing" when it is so NOT!?!

I think a lot of men do it to themselves. At least here, it seems like a lot of men still have this idea that the kitchen is the woman's domain.:rolleyes:

I have a show in March that is JUST MEN! I am so excited to do this show! All of them are men who do at least 50% of the cooking in their homes, so they will be shopping for themselves!
I'm hoping to use this as a springboard to more men's shows, and couples shows.

Actually, this guy is a chef and loves to entertain. I truly think he would love this. I think I am going to send an email to HO requesting they add a guy in the recruiting info (pictures, videos, etc.)

2 of my 3 strong recruit leads are men. The interest is there but I think the reputation of PC is scaring them off. Like what their friends say about it...

A show of just men! That is so awesome! I love it:love: Be sure to let me know how it goes! What recipe are you making?

One of my best hosts is a guy! But he refused to do the business because of the thought of what other men would think of him (that's honestly what he told me). I tell everyone when they invite people to include men, that it's not just a women's thing any more. I would just give him a call and set up an interview. Sit down with him and go over the business with him. Take the interview online class if you need help!

WOW... wonder why he bolted...
I have recruit and it's a guy.

I've had people strerio type me since I've been doing the business.. they see me wearing the logo shirts and ask if my wife is the consultant.

I have my 1 year coming up the end of this month. :) and having a blast as a consultant.

Get_Pampered said:
Actually, this guy is a chef and loves to entertain. I truly think he would love this. I think I am going to send an email to HO requesting they add a guy in the recruiting info (pictures, videos, etc.)

2 of my 3 strong recruit leads are men. The interest is there but I think the reputation of PC is scaring them off. Like what their friends say about it...

A show of just men! That is so awesome! I love it:love: Be sure to let me know how it goes! What recipe are you making?

I'm almost positive that there are men in all of the recruiting info. I know that the DVD features Don Funt, and there is a guy on the front of the new Your Life Your Way Brochure.

And, I think for the show we will be doing Chicken Fajitas in the DCB...and then do Salsa and Guacamole with chips to go with it. The guy who is hosting is a SAHD - he runs a photography business from home, and has a band that plays gigs on weekends. He has 2 boys, and does almost all of the cooking for his family. I would love to see him join my team! He is so pumped for his show - it's not until March 14th, but he already has 12 confirmed guests!

That's great! I have a man recruit and a wife who attended a show last weekend is going to talk to her husband. He is a SAHD also.

Come to think of it, so is XH's brother, and he likes to cook! Time to write to mom in law!

I must have the old version of that brochure...it's all women. I haven't watched the video in a while so I must watch it again. Host told me that he said afterwards that he didn't notice until then that it was all women in the dvd. I don't have his info (he left before I got it) but I will talk to host and see if I can get him to meet with me. I may ask one of the male consultants I know if he would be willing to come with me...I think that may make him feel better.Congrats on your anniversary, Terry! See? I don't want his misunderstanding of the biz to scare him away from something that guys love, too!

Invite him to a couple's show. Maybe that will loosen him up to the idea that PC is for both men and women. It will be fun and maybe he can feel comfortable. Have some of the guys, including him, use the manly tools (knives, food chopper, pans, etc...). LOL

Or talk him into having a show with some of his friends. Tell him that could either be his first show as a Pc consultant, or a way to get credit for the kit!

Debbie :D

I have 3 guys on my team. What did I say to them? . . . .

"Some of the TOP sellers in this company are men, and I'm talking BIG sales. Why? I think, talking from a woman's point of view, women will buy MORE from men. I would! (then we laugh) Really, if there were 2 sellers one being a guy and the other a woman, I probably would buy from the guy, unless he's arogant."

I've got about 4 guys on the fence right now too!

Kitchen2u said:
I have 3 guys on my team. What did I say to them? . . . .

"Some of the TOP sellers in this company are men, and I'm talking BIG sales. Why? I think, talking from a woman's point of view, women will buy MORE from men. I would! (then we laugh) Really, if there were 2 sellers one being a guy and the other a woman, I probably would buy from the guy, unless he's arogant."

I've got about 4 guys on the fence right now too!

I've had women tell me the same and that they want to see me demonstrate the tools and to fix them a recipe.. My Dir says my sales are above the PC average. I personally don't pay that much attention to that part.. I am always looking to help the hostess get the most from her show..

My BF would make an awesome recruit, he loves PC and can sell anything. He's the one that keeps my business going. He often asks me for catalogs and order forms cause he's having to go to such and such's house, or he does a lot of construction on the side for a personal business. He makes sure he gives the homeowners my info and a catalog just in case they are interested. He'll even throw in a little extra work at a discount if they place an order with him, or call me to talk about hosting. It doesn't always work out, but for a while, his co-workers were my best customers. Maybe now that he's back to work, he'll get me even more.

I hope everything works out with this lead. I'm sure you can find a TON of guys in the business willing to talk to him about being a male in a once female business!

Call him and make an appt to meet for coffee or something - bring your past consultant news - show him in the back - Highlight one name and his sales - David Meehan - then show him the back of the catalog - again same guy! Not to mention, Don Funt etc...

Hey Andrea, why not recruit your BF? As long as you're not married, I think it's OK.

susanr613 said:
Hey Andrea, why not recruit your BF? As long as you're not married, I think it's OK.

I'd be afraid he'd put me out of business! LOL! I really wish we could do co-consulting though. He does a lot for me anyways.

I am a Guy... My wife came home about 3 weeks ago from a pampered chef show bursting at the seams giddy and excited... why??? because she wanted me to sell pampered chef! She dident have to say more than "Honey I think you would be great at this" and I already knew PC products my mom has been buying for about 15+ years and I love them. All I had to know was the startup cost and I was in.
PC is the only direct sale product that I know of that you dont have to talk people into. Most people have heard of it or have a couple peices and want more.
I even opened up my mouth at a well known womens clothing store earlier this evning to invite the sales ladies to our party later this week and belive it or not I got called 30 min later to come tomorrow night to their "girls night out" event and SELL IN THE STORE!!! 3 hours of invited prefered customers at my disposal! It dosent get much better than that... I love talking to women and I love to cook (went to cullinary school) so PC here I come!

Don't show him the marketing material or all the little incentive items, because that will only further enhance his view that it's for women only.

I think men make better sales in a room full of women. It's easier for them to turn on the charm. ;)I also have a new consultant who happens to be a guy in my downline. His first show was over $800. He was pretty excited.

I have a guy HO lead who just signed tonight. I'm so excited to have him join my team. He loves to bake and works FT.

Funny story, he borrowed a neighbors stoneware and loved it. Asked her where she got it and how to find the store. When he went on-line to order he looked at the consultant part of the biz and decided to give it a go. I think he'll be fantastic at this!

If it isn't too late where you live, call him tonight and just say you know how excited he was about joining our company and you didn't want him to miss out on our promotion. Maybe if you offer to help him with his grand opening that will help settle some of his nerves.
Fear is 90% of why anyone decides not to give this biz a try. Keep in contact with him. Maybe he'll sign yet.

If you could get him to go with you to a show and watch what you do, as a consultant, he may be surprised and if it is predominately women, it wouldn't surprise me if they just "eat him up" as a consultant. Depends on the crowd I'm sure, but women are funny at parties when the consultant is a guy. Besides, remind him of Bobby Flay, Emeril, Tyler, Rocco, and all of the others! Women like men who can cook! :) The one who might have a problem would end up being his girlfriend -HAHA

David Meehan has told the story that when he was recruited, he did it because he could buy a truck and the gas in it. That was his goal.Tell him that the women came to the party because his GF hosted it and invited people she knew. If he was the host, he'd invite his fellow chefs. In fact, he might be more apt to draw a mixed crowd.When I was in the jewelry biz, a husband/wife team said their female clients were more apt to ask him how something looked. They believed that if the male half could justify they expense, they'd be more likely to come up with an explanation that made sense to their husbands. Sad that some women feel they need permission to spend money, but some of them do.

From a guy's perspective, you have to set aside a couple things:
-women dominated business (actually, women dominate the direct selling industry! yet men who do well in PC do Very Well!)
-what will other guys think (Get over yourself already. Are you 'all that?' I have PC on the back of my car. I've had guys in pickup trucks roll down their windows and ask me if I am the Pampered Chef. I said to the first, I represent the company selling amazing kitchen tools and sold over $50K in the first year, are you interested in sales? They said no and drove off. The second time it happened I asked the guy if he wanted to book a show for his girlfriend. He took a mini catalog!)
-I'm honestly uncomfortable with the tagline, but no one asked me. Oh - well, I don't sell the tagline, I sell the products - fairly well, in fact!INSTEAD, Think on these things...
-Women buy most kitchen products. Most women like men. Men selling great products is likeable to most women!
-Guys who pioneer being PC consultants show other guys how. Ask a male recruit lead if he is more of a quarterback and be willing to show off a little, or if he just wants to be a linebacker and let someone else be in front. Remind him the director gets paid more than the recruits.
-what ARE you passionate about with PC? (not what scares you)
-would you like to talk with a successful male consultant? (several of us are available to chat)

leftymac said:
Don't show him the marketing material or all the little incentive items, because that will only further enhance his view that it's for women only.

Hey, Keith, every survey PC sends me, if there is a question REMOTELY talking about incentives, I ask them to offer some more manly looking stuff (conference bags / backpacks, aprons, consultant planner). There ought to be options...:rolleyes:

Scottcooks-would you like to talk with a successful male consultant? (several of us are available to chat)

And, Scott, I think it was you a few years ago who asked guys at conference to meet in front of the theater to talk about being a guy in the company. My recruit was either at his first or second conference, and really needed that chat. Thanks (don't think I said it then).:thumbup:

He is still in, working full time, busy with his family, and still sold $4500 last month.

I have been doing more and more shows where the men stay and are just as interested as the women in the products. Last night, a lady was unsure if she should spend $25 on salad choppers, and when her hubby got there, he ended up gettng the grill press, a piece of cookware and a mix and chop! LOL! Love it! She never did get the salad choppers, but her daughter booked a party off of me, so I bet she will get them in JAn!

The husband of the hostess last night left and then came back halfway through the party and asked if it was OK if guys came in. TOo funny! We siad its not a lingere party! HAHA!

MY husband loves using the products too. He has gotten me many sales at work after he talks about stuff I make at home. I think the compnay should promote men more too.

Just a thought....one of my best downline consultants is a guy....and you know what his answer is? If you go into a restaurant, more often than not, is the chef male or female?He has been doing this for a several months and some of his shows are all women and some are mixed. He does draw a larger mixed crowd and the guys seem very comfortable.
At first, he was a little concerned, but it didn't last long. And, he wears the HWC apron so he remembers to talk about all the charity partnerships! It's great!

colegrovet said:
WOW... wonder why he bolted...
I have recruit and it's a guy.I've had people strerio type me since I've been doing the business.. they see me wearing the logo shirts and ask if my wife is the consultant.I have my 1 year coming up the end of this month. :) and having a blast as a consultant.
What have you done to be successful. Having trouble attracting people

scottcooks said:
From a guy's perspective, you have to set aside a couple things:
-women dominated business (actually, women dominate the direct selling industry! yet men who do well in PC do Very Well!)
-what will other guys think (Get over yourself already. Are you 'all that?' I have PC on the back of my car. I've had guys in pickup trucks roll down their windows and ask me if I am the Pampered Chef. I said to the first, I represent the company selling amazing kitchen tools and sold over $50K in the first year, are you interested in sales? They said no and drove off. The second time it happened I asked the guy if he wanted to book a show for his girlfriend. He took a mini catalog!)
-I'm honestly uncomfortable with the tagline, but no one asked me. Oh - well, I don't sell the tagline, I sell the products - fairly well, in fact!INSTEAD, Think on these things...
-Women buy most kitchen products. Most women like men. Men selling great products is likeable to most women!
-Guys who pioneer being PC consultants show other guys how. Ask a male recruit lead if he is more of a quarterback and be willing to show off a little, or if he just wants to be a linebacker and let someone else be in front. Remind him the director gets paid more than the recruits.
-what ARE you passionate about with PC? (not what scares you)
-would you like to talk with a successful male consultant? (several of us are available to chat)[/
Would love to talk to another male about this

REALLY great to see that years later!! I'm starting a FB group - looking for a cover photo. My PC has gone like ocean waves; it's building up to awesome again, and I'm going farther than I have - into year 17!

1. How does Pampered Chef address the social stigma surrounding men in the company?

Pampered Chef is committed to promoting diversity and inclusivity in all aspects of our business, including addressing the social stigma surrounding men in the company. We actively strive to break down gender stereotypes and create a welcoming and supportive environment for all individuals, regardless of their gender.

2. Are there any men in leadership positions at Pampered Chef?

Yes, there are men in leadership positions at Pampered Chef. We believe that diversity in leadership is crucial for creating a well-rounded and successful company. Our leadership team is made up of individuals from various backgrounds, including men, who bring a diverse range of perspectives and ideas to the table.

3. What initiatives does Pampered Chef have in place to support male consultants?

Pampered Chef has several initiatives in place to support male consultants, including mentorship programs, networking opportunities, and training on how to navigate and succeed in a predominantly female industry. We also actively promote and celebrate the success of our male consultants through our social media channels and events.

4. Is there a sense of community among male consultants at Pampered Chef?

Absolutely! We encourage all of our consultants, regardless of their gender, to connect and support each other. We have a strong sense of community among our male consultants, and they often come together to share tips, advice, and support for one another.

5. How can men help change the social stigma surrounding their involvement in Pampered Chef?

The most important thing men can do to help change the social stigma surrounding their involvement in Pampered Chef is to actively participate and promote inclusivity within the company. By being confident and proud of their involvement in the company, they can help break down stereotypes and encourage others to do the same. Additionally, men can also speak out against any negative attitudes or comments they may encounter and be supportive allies to their female colleagues.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

Replies
Views
NooraK
  • Chef_2_Four
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
JAE
  • chef_kimmo
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies