• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

BPA and the Dreaded Number 7: What You Need to Know

In summary, the conversation revolves around the safety of BPA in plastic products, specifically those with a number 7 on them. The participants discuss what to do next and whether or not Canadian consultants have any opinions on the matter. The conversation also includes a summary of what Pampered Chef says about their use of polycarbonate plastic and BPA in their products, assuring that they meet FDA regulations and are safe for use. The company also offers a Q&A for consultants to use when addressing customer concerns about BPA.
armywyf
So is anyone else watching Nightly News on NBC right now? Here I am cooking dinner and they start talking about BPA and the new report that the FDA was not fully advised of the dangers of BPA and that experts are now recommending that you not microwave any plastics with the number 7 on them.

So what do I do next? I look at my micro cooker that I am currently cooking dinner in and it has a number 7... I had to look for it as it is not on the bottom as is most plastics but it is on the under side of one of the handles.

Now what?

I would email PC test kitchens and ask them the question. I would let them know where you saw the report. That is my thought

Good thinking, Jennie.

Yeah I emailed them, we will see what they say. Any canadian consultants have any opinion here? The Canadian government has banned BPA, do you guys have the micro cookers?

we still have the micro cookers in Canada. The CDN gov't hasn't fully banned it yet, but are looking at a full ban, pending further investigation.

hmm something to watch and wait

I just looked on my micro cooker and it has a 6, so I looked at another that I have on hand and it says a 5.... what's the story with 5 and 6?

This is on CC and has been for awhile.

Here's what PC says:

Polycarbonate Plastic Product Inquiries

Recent media reports question the safety of products made with polycarbonate plastic and specifically, Bisphenol A (BPA), which is used in the manufacture of polycarbonate products. Rest assured, all Pampered Chef products designed to come into contact with food meet or exceed all current and applicable regulations of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration and are food-contact safe. The FDA has studied and approved the use of polycarbonate plastic and BPA for many years. We will continue to monitor any and all FDA developments with respect to BPA to ensure the continued safety of our products.

Some of our products are made from polycarbonate and contain BPA. These products are listed below. No other Pampered Chef products contain BPA.

* 1105 Microplane Adjustable Grater (cover and food holder plunger)
* 1188 Gravy Separator (main bowl)
* 1665 Baster and Cleaning Brush (basting tube)
* 1684 Pastry Cutter
* 1785 Salad/Berry Spinner (lid only)
* 2157 Wine Bottle Opener
* 2158 Dripless Pourer/Stopper
* 2175 Easy Read Measuring Cups
* 2177 Easy Read Mini Measuring Cup
* 2190 Salt and Pepper Mill
* 2225 Measure-All Cup (outer sleeve)
* 2228 Easy Adjustable Measuring Cup
* 2229 Easy Adjustable Measuring Spoon
* 2236 Mini Measure-All Cup
* 2241 Pocket Thermometer
* 2305 Juicer (bowl)
* 2590 Easy Opener
* 2779 Rice Cooker Plus (outer locks)
* 2781 Chillzanne Rectangle Server (lid only)
* 2826 Outdoor Tumblers
* 2827 Outdoor Utensil Set
* 2829 Outdoor Serving Set

To assist you with answering any questions that you receive from your Hosts and Guests about this issue, please click here for the Q & A. Again, we are committed to providing you and our customers with products that meet the highest standards of quality and safety.

Polycarbonate Plastic Products and Bisphenol A (BPA)
Questions & Answers
Q.
Does The Pampered Chef use Polycarbonate in any of its Products?
A. Yes. Polycarbonate is used in a small percentage of our products. Only 19 of the products we offer are made of polycarbonate. It creates high-quality and durable products.
Q.
What is Bisphenol A (BPA)?
A. Bisphenol A (BPA) is used to make polycarbonate plastic, which is found in plastic household goods and other products. The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has studied and approved the use of polycarbonate plastic, and specifically BPA, for many years.
Q.
Are Pampered Chef’s polycarbonate products safe?
A. While a few Pampered Chef products are made of polycarbonate plastic, we want to assure you that all Pampered Chef products designed to come into contact with food meet or exceed all current and applicable regulations of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and are food-contact safe. Rest assured that The Pampered Chef will continue to monitor any and all FDA rulings or findings to ensure the continued safety of our products.
Q. Are Pampered Chef plastic products safe for microwaving food?
A. Yes. Every Pampered Chef product that is designed to come into contact with food meets or exceeds FDA standards for food safety.
Q. Some retailers are beginning to pull certain polycarbonate products specifically designed for infants and children from their shelves – why is The Pampered Chef still selling products made of polycarbonate plastic?
A. These products continue to be 100% approved by the FDA, and the FDA has studied and approved polycarbonate plastic products for many years. Additionally, the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) has recently concluded that small amounts of the chemical cause no harm to infants or adults.
All Pampered Chef products designed to come into contact with food meet or exceed all current and applicable regulations of the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) and are food-contact safe. Rest assured that The Pampered Chef will continue to monitor any and all FDA rulings or findings to ensure the continued safety of our products.
Q. Are any of Pampered Chef’s products specifically designed for children made from polycarbonates?
A. We do not sell any polycarbonate plastic products specifically designed for children.
© The Pampered Chef, Ltd., 2008
Polycarbonate Plastic Products and Bisphenol A (BPA)
Questions & Answers
© The Pampered Chef, Ltd., 2008
Q. Where can my customer find reliable information on BPA?
A. If customers want to learn more about BPA, we suggest they visit the following web sites:

American Plastic Council - http://www.americanchemistry.com/plastics/

European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) study -www.efsa.europa.eu/en/press_room/press_release/pr_bpa.html

American Chemistry Council - http://www.bisphenol-a.org

Environmental Protection Agency - http://www.epa.gov/endocrine/about.html

American Council on Science and Health - ACSH > Search Result
Q.
What if my customer wants to return a product made of polycarbonate?
A. Customers can contact 1-888-OUR-CHEF regarding a return for a credit or refund.
Q.
If my customer has any other questions, who should they contact at the Company?
A.
We’re happy to answer any other questions customers may have about polycarbonate or BPA. Please ask customers to contact [email protected].

thanks Kristi, I was geting ready to go look for that.

As you can see from Kristi's post from CC the micro cookers are not listed.

I saw that on CC a while ago, I knew it was there. I was wondering about the whole number 7 issue... I got a call from HO today and she said that the number 7 is an "other" category and that it is simply for recycling purposes. Not all things labeled with the 7 have BPA and that the micro cookers do not have BPA (which I knew). I just didnt understand why the "expert" was saying not to use any plastic labeled with the 7. Their point that they failed to make was that the "other" category means you may not know what is in the plastic. If our customers ask this is the answer we can give them...That's all I was trying to get, sorry for the confusion, I was not suggesting that the micro cooker has BPA I just wanted an answer to the number 7 issue.Thanks for all your help ladies

What is "Dreaded Number 7" and BPA?

"Dreaded Number 7" refers to plastic products that are made with polycarbonate, a type of plastic that contains the chemical bisphenol A (BPA). BPA is used in some plastics to make them more durable and shatter-resistant.

Is BPA harmful?

There is ongoing debate and research about the potential harmful effects of BPA. Some studies suggest that BPA can disrupt hormones and may be linked to health issues, while others argue that the levels of BPA in plastic products are too low to cause harm. The FDA has deemed BPA safe for use in food containers, but many companies have started to phase it out of their products.

Are all Pampered Chef products BPA-free?

Yes, all Pampered Chef products that come into contact with food are BPA-free. We have made a commitment to only use materials that are known to be safe for food contact, and we continually monitor and update our products to meet the highest safety standards.

How can I tell if a plastic product contains BPA?

BPA is not always labeled on plastic products, but you can look for the recycling symbol with the number 7 inside. This indicates that the product is made with polycarbonate and may contain BPA. Another option is to choose products that are labeled as BPA-free.

What are some alternatives to plastic products that may contain BPA?

There are many alternatives to plastic products that may contain BPA, such as glass, stainless steel, and silicone. At Pampered Chef, we offer a variety of BPA-free alternatives to plastic, such as our glass food storage containers, silicone bakeware, and stainless steel cookware.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kdangel518
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
kdangel518
  • DebPC
  • Products and Tips
Replies
Views
StewartKerr
Replies