• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Have a Recruit That Hates Stoneware- Anyone Else?

well, you get the idea. If it is really not about her, then maybe she should try it again, but if it is really about her customer then she needs to get over it. Teach her how to season it, how to use the glazes, and how to care for it. Just tell her to get over it and start using it every day.
nancycookspc
Gold Member
Is it possible??
She hates stoneware...
Do you know a consultant like this?
or Maybe were you one that got the courage to try stones and love them now.
I can talk till I'm blue in the face but she won;t hear of it...

help

Why does she hate it?

you need to teach her to LOVE IT make her cook on it for a week everything bacon , frys cookies ext

she can;t get beyond the no soap...and dislikes the coloration

Tell her it's not about her but her customer's. She's taking out a whole product line. The first consultant I ever met told me to take all my metal sheet pans and put them in the trunk of my car so I'd only use stoneware. I didn't have to do that much but I learned to love it also.Then again, that's why PC came out with the sheet pans. 60% of the market uses metal sheet pans, she just maybe one of those people who won't use anyone else.

nancycookspc said:
she can;t get beyond the no soap...and dislikes the coloration

She just needs to use it then. There was a flyer floating around that talked about the no soap thing from a scientific point of view....I don't have it but maybe someone here does?

When people comment on that, I tell them I've been using the same round stone for almost 9 years, and it's never made me sick.:p

To me those aren't valid reasons to dislike the pc stoneware in fact I can't think of one, I'm uber biased tho I adore the stoneware.:) As far as the no soap wash and thinking that it truly isn't sanitized whatever your hot wash won't kill will end up being killed in your hot oven. I don't know of anyone buying the stoneware to not cook in it, like for cold dishes etc. Some people do I'm sure. Plus the colorization issue is why PC came up with the glaze ware(at least one of the reasons I'm sure), the inside gets perfectly aged but the outside stays fresh and new. I don't know, I'm sure after a while she will come around.:)

just tell her to get over it and start using it every day. I don't know what I did before I had my stones. LOVE the large bar pan. And if she doesn't like them, she won't be able to sell them effectively. What a shame that would be.

I didn't like stoneware before I signed up with PC. I found out that I didn't like NON PC stoneware. I started using my stone in my kit because I knew I was going to have to sell it and I needed to find something about it I liked. I fell in love! I was using other stones and they are horrible! PC stones are wonderful!

These may be different reasons than your gal, but I thought I'd throw my 2 cents in.

a different issue - but I don't like my ss cookware and although I talk about it, really push the executive.

nancycookspc said:
Is it possible??
She hates stoneware...
Do you know a consultant like this?
or Maybe were you one that got the courage to try stones and love them now.
I can talk till I'm blue in the face but she won;t hear of it...

help

I think I have a pretty good testimony to this issue. I bought my first PC at a show 10 YEARS ago. The first thing I got was a large round stone with the rack. I think stoneware was on sale that time or something. I HATED it and barely used the thing. With all the PC I have bought over the years before I became a consultant, I never got another stoneware piece. When I signed a few months ago, I told myself I had to learn to like it, or at least be able to use it for shows. Like you said, this is a LARGE product line for us, so you can't cut it out of your sales. So in my kit I got the large bar pan so I decided to get it out and use it. After all, I really can't show an unused stone. How will you be able to talk about the seasoning process? Now....I LOVE my large bar pan and use it for everything. My daughter loves frozen french fries baked on the bar pan. They come out much crispier. I LOVE the sheet pans and use them often too, but I am ordering other sizes of the bar pan and just got the DCB (can't wait to use it). So...my advice to your recruit would be to analyze WHY she hates it first. If she is like me it is because she started with a flat piece that is bulky and hard to handle. She needs to convince herself to tolerate them if she can't learn to like them. Her success in selling stoneware depends on her being able to use them and talk up the features. Good luck!

I made brownies again this week on my large bar pan! It's a weekly thing for my ladie for our bible study! No matter what my main dish is, I gotta do the brownies! They are great on it and are super moist! I made calzone on the round stone with handles tonight. I think I will buy a small bar pan for myself to use in the microwave now that I have given so many out to my Kids in the Kitchen Workshop kids. They are a great size! I did bacon with parchment paper on the large bar pan and it was awesome! Like everyone else, I think if she tried it, she would love it!

ChefBeckyD said:
She just needs to use it then. There was a flyer floating around that talked about the no soap thing from a scientific point of view....I don't have it but maybe someone here does?

When people comment on that, I tell them I've been using the same round stone for almost 9 years, and it's never made me sick.:p

Here it is.

Attachments

• microbiologist.doc
    20 KB · Views: 349
chefann said:
Here it is.

My mother was addicted to Pampered Chef when I was younger. She bought all the stones when they first came out. When she found out she couldn't wash them, she lost it and put them in the attic. When she relocated 8 years ago, she found the stones and gave them all to my younger sister. Her reasoning was that I burn water and my sister can actually cook. Nice. When I told her I was joining PC, she was stunned, then went on a rant about the stones being gross and dirty. I mailed her this flyer and she has since bought just about the entire line again. This time, from me!:love: I keep it in my show binder, and people are always surprised to read it.

"Because the stones are porous, the moisture does not stay in them...it dries up very quickly. If you want to rapidly dry your baking stones, put them in a 200-degree oven for 10 minutes."-----shouldn't it say non-porous, or am I mistaken?

I've always been taught that the stones are slightly porous - that's where the moisture goes from frozen convenience foods so that they don't need to be turned. But they're microscopic pores.

If using soap is the only issue -- tell her to use soap.

In my opinion, it does not "ruin the stone" or "make it taste soapy". It interfers with the seasoning.

floccies said:
If using soap is the only issue -- tell her to use soap.

In my opinion, it does not "ruin the stone" or "make it taste soapy". It interfers with the seasoning.

Once mine is seasoned, I often rinse it using a soapy cloth. Especially after cooking bacon or something else that has a lot of grease. I don't use soap on them though until they are seasoned.

chefann said:
I've always been taught that the stones are slightly porous - that's where the moisture goes from frozen convenience foods so that they don't need to be turned. But they're microscopic pores.

I guess I just always read "virtually non-porous" so I wondering what to think when it said porous.

Virtually non-porous is somewhat porous. Like mostly sunny is partly cloudy. :)

chefann said:
Virtually non-porous is somewhat porous.

Like mostly sunny is partly cloudy. :)

I have always been taught that it is virtually non-porous because the pores are microscopic - too small for fat/food particles to seep into the stone and get trapped.

Before I became a consultant, I bought 2 round stones and 2 rectangle stones and a bar pan. I was not won over the few times I used them. I went back to using my metal sheet pans. When I joined and got another bar pan, I thought what on earth will I need 2 bar pans for now! But then I started using it, trying the recipes, many of the recipes. Now I LOVE my bar pan. I also use the rectangle stones a lot. I love how they are becoming nonstick. I love the way the food is turning out on them. Now, I'm still not won over on using them to bake cookies. But that I think is because I need to practice more and figure out the right cooking times and cooling times to remove them. I still prefer my sheet pans for cookies. But still...I LOVE stoneware now. I see the difference. I've bought more pieces and am so happy with my choices. :) I still don't use the round stones much, because I do my pizzas in the 2 bar pans I have! Now I'm so glad I have 2 bar pans because I use them so much!

Just to add my sister was the same way with stoneware a long time ago, absolutely hated it. She had bought several pieces and ended up selling them at a garage sale. Fast forward to me being a consultant... She now owns several pieces again and loves them. I think her bar pan is more seasoned than mine!

Stoneware is clearly an area where customer service includes customer education. And it needs to be repeated several times. My SIL has a stone that she got at a show she hosted over 7 years ago (it's where I met my recruiter). Every time she uses it (which is only a couple times a year), she calls me to ask how she's supposed to clean it "Because you're not supposed to use water on it." Every time, I tell her that water is OK, but soap isn't. :rolleyes:

chefann said:
Stoneware is clearly an area where customer service includes customer education. And it needs to be repeated several times. My SIL has a stone that she got at a show she hosted over 7 years ago (it's where I met my recruiter). Every time she uses it (which is only a couple times a year), she calls me to ask how she's supposed to clean it "Because you're not supposed to use water on it." Every time, I tell her that water is OK, but soap isn't. :rolleyes:

That's too funny! :D

Not every Consultant is going to like EVERY product. Just as not every customer is going to like EVERY product. WTS, I feel like it is my job as a consultant to inform and educate my customers about the products, their features, and benefits.

Just because I don't like using SS Cookware doesn't mean I don't include talking about it and the benefits - because i know that it will definately be for someone else and they will LOVE it. :)

SHE doesn't need to use Stoneware if she doesn't like it. But I would encourage her to still share the benefits of it with her customers. She may find using others testimonials would help since she doesn't care for it herself.

I was a stoneware virgin ... I love it now but know some guests who hate it ...

To me, it is no different than a consultant who hates nonstick or stainless cookware ... they can hate it all they want, but realize that many customers out there will disagree.

My favorite line about the family skillet is, "I hated non-stick before I got it ... this pan made me a believer."

She can say the same about a stone, even if she's lying through her teeth ...

well I have to say, I heard the hype all about the stoneware and had nary a bit of desire to own any.

I became a consultant and unpacked my kit with the pure joy of a child on Christmas day! However, I looked at that heavy "piece of clay" with disdain. I opened it up, examined it and promptly put it in my oven. I figured I use it for my shows and let the ladies who loved it sell it LOL.

I *hated* the fact that it gets "dirty and ugly". I was so disenchanted with the whole seasoning thing and thought "how much better could THAT be over my regular pans?"

Well, I used it to make a couple recipes for shows and at home to promote that seasoning I so disliked. I *still* had to use soap and a scrubby once or twice LOL but now I can honestly say, I LOVE stoneware! I still hate the ugly that seasoning does but I'll take that over it's fantastic use, wear and multiple uses for one product. Cookies are AMAZING on the stone (I almost always had issues with bottoms being too brown on cookies before).

So I wouldn't worry too much about it. She might come around, OR she might let the ladies who LOVE it sell it for her at her parties! LOL;):)

I dont like the seasoning aspect of it too much either, thats why all my pieces are glazed ... aside of the bar pans.

My reason for dislike was mainly because it isnt dishwasher safe (which may or maynot be all together true ;)) I really hate washing dishes or handwashing anything, especially in winter because my hands get too dry.

Anyway, I own many glazed pieces and enjoy using it alot and use that when I know I am bringing it to the table... the natural stones were just too darn ugly to serve in. Maybe she can begin with the glazed and end up expanding her collection to include some of the best sellers, like the bar pan.

If soap is her only sticking point, I got over that habit by putting some baking soda in the sugar shaker and when I want to clean my stones, I wet them down with hot water, spinkle on some baking soda, srub a bit with a sponge, rinse and its good to go...

Everyone has their preferences. I personally don't like the food chopper but never say so. I show it sometimes and let the customers rave about it. I sometimes even say something like, "PC offers many ways to cut things and you can choose the one that's best for you. I prefer the xxx knife but you might like something larger or smaller, the food chopper or mandoline." Isn't stoneware the same? We have pans that go in the oven, the sheet pans and stones as well as the microcookers and batter bowls. Everyone has a different purpose....

UPDATE-

she is USING her stone!
not sure if she is liking it...but she is using it...so we are in the right direction

nancy

This may need it's own thread, but here goes anyway. I have started LOVING my large bar pan and now make bacon on it every few weeks and it is cooked to perfection! Problem - a month ago we made bacon, I let the pan sit a day before washing and somehow the bottom of it is covered in this sticky substance. It's almost like I sat it in grease or something, but for the life of me I cannot think of how I could have gotten any grease on the bottom of it. I still use it (and have spent an hour at least trying to scrub the bottom with HOT water and the scraper, to no avail) but I really don't think I should use it at shows because it looks ugly (in case anyone looks at the bottom) and is still sticky. Any suggestions for how else I can try to get it off?

Thanks!

Baking soda. Sprinkle it directly on the stone, or make a paste from a couple of tablespoons baking soda and a little bit of water. Let it sit on the stone for a few minutes, then scrub it with a brush before rinsing off. It can remove seasoning, but if it's on the bottom of the stone, that won't matter. And if it's your bacon stone, making bacon in it once will reseason the inside. :)

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefPeg
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
pcjenr
  • ChefJami83
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
lt1jane
  • chefheidi2003