• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Join Our Team: Pampered Chef Opportunity for Disabled Individuals

In summary, the woman is moving from a nursing home to an accessible apartment and is looking for ways to make a business out of Pampered Chef. I told her that the only concern I had was that she might have difficulty getting into other people's homes, but she said she thought her son could carry her in and out. I gave her the DVD and recruiting information and invited her to one of my shows.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
I had a lady stop by my booth at a fair and say she is interested in selling Pampered Chef. I'd be less concerned if this was somone who knows and loves the product. She is just looking for a business opportunity.

She uses a wheelchair.

She is moving from a nursing home to a wheelchair-accessible apartment in two weeks, and plans to get a computer when she moves.

I told her that the only concern I could see was that she might have difficulty getting into other people's homes ... she said she thought her son could carry her in and out. (Of course, he'd be carrying her stuff too ...)

Honestly, I don't know, based on my conversation with her, if she fully understands all that is involved with being a consultant. But I gave her the DVD and recruiting info.

Who knows? She may soar with this business ...

I've seen consultants at NC that were in wheelchairs - I don't think it was a temporary thing either. Maybe you could call HO, if they have that kind of info on file you could call a wheelchair consultant and get some tips.

I would also invite her to one of your shows so that she could see first hand what is involved. My guess is that those that are "disabled" don't think that way and make the best with what they have, so she could very well come up with answers to YOUR questions just by seeing how it's done!

I have seen consultants at National COnference crossing the stage as advanced directors and for earning TPC...in wheelchairs. I have traveled on Level 4 incentive trips with consultants in wheelchairs.
Don't just a person on what you may see as a disability - what you see as a disability, they may simply see as a challenge :)

It's not just the wheelchair that concerns me. A bigger concern is that she had NEVER heard of Pampered Chef. She thought we were a restaurant until I explained what we were!

(Then again, my PC experience was limited as well, though I had heard of the product and had been to shows and knew what being a consultant entailed.)

Anyway, I gave her the DVD and "Your Life Your Way" brochure, and told her that it was really "your life your way" and that you can do the business whatever way works for you. I told her I'd have my director get in touch, though it might be difficult to reach her until she moves into the apartment.

I would never pre-judge someone because of a wheelchair. Some folks in wheelchairs can/able to do more than those with two legs!

Also, going to a show is a good idea but I think she'd get better experience going to a show that my director is doing ... I don't have a "live" one on the books for a while and she lives a good 40 minutes south of me.

I would never pre-judge someone because of a wheelchair. Some folks in wheelchairs can/able to do more than those with two legs!

I wasn't pre-judging at all ... just want to make that very clear. I am just looking for the best possible way to assist this person ... OK?

(Maybe I should have titled this thread "recruiting someone who doesn't know the product" because again ... that is my concern.)

I met a woman in a wheel chair at conference a couple years ago.
She hosts all her shows at her home, wheel chair accessible.
Have a show for her at her home and let her see what goes on.
It can and has been done!

Hmmmm ... that sounds like a great idea, once she moves in.

(Since she is moving from a nursing home to her apartment, I got the impression that the disability is a fairly recent one, and she is looking for ways to adapt.)

Personally, I think everybody should include their own self-hosted party when they get started ... so maybe that would be a good place for her to start. I'm sure my director has some ideas ...

She doesn't really have to do traditional cooking shows to make this a success. She could do a monthly mega show or utilize catalog shows and wedding registries.

I 1st want to say--Good for you for posting this
--Being a Nurse of 20 years-it is interesting!! I personally had a blind consultant on my team--What I found was she was soooooo set up with a network of friends and family to take her to her shows--
I guided her around my house-She rarely went anywhere alone-But I would pick her up--she trusted me-! SHe opted out of conference-Without a helper that is tough-I think with your gal--Maybe send her a questioner if she is sharp-and of sound mind--Invite her--SHe is probably thinking of selling with her son--Best of luck!!

My first concern is this, Is she on SSI for her disabilty? If so she might be in danger of losing some if not all of her SSI. Trust me it is a nightmare to deal with, been there done that!

Di_Can_Cook said:
I wasn't pre-judging at all ... just want to make that very clear. I am just looking for the best possible way to assist this person ... OK?

(Maybe I should have titled this thread "recruiting someone who doesn't know the product" because again ... that is my concern.)

I read this post yesterday before anyone posted on it... I never for a minute thought you were judging anyone. I hope you find a solution that works for the both of you. I love what someone said about her hosting her shows from her house. She could really market that... the host wont even have to clean her house :p Good luck!

If you are on disability there is a limit to how much you can earn. A friend of mine also is on a program where she can try work on for size, and retain her full benefits for 9 months. If the job does not work out she starts over. She has never had a job work out for 9 months since she's been on the program and tends to do seasonal work, so it works out for her.

One of the most consistent top performers I know wasn't really familiar with PC when she signed. She researched the various business opportunities that'd let her work from home and was most impressed with PC.

Look at this way: There are two aspects to success as a consultant (in my humble opinion). One is knowing and loving the products, the other is working it as a business. For most of us, loving the products comes first and then we eventually learn how to view/manage it as a business. Your gal is already viewing it that way. Loving the products will come as soon as she starts using them. In some ways, she may be ahead of the game. :)

Well ... I discussed this with my director (an advanced director) who has always told me not to pre-judge anybody ... and she has the same feeling about it that I did.She thinks the lady doesn't know what she's getting into and believes she should see a show first.I know there are many people who love the business more than the opportunity ... my exec is one of them ... but in this case, my AD believes this lady was approaching every business in the fair looking for a job.I know there are many people who are so determined they can make it work no matter what ... time will tell if she is one of those. Baby steps ... meanwhile ... when she's in her apartment we'll call to invite her to one of my director's shows in her area, provided she can get someone to help her.

Di_Can_Cook said:
Well ... I discussed this with my director (an advanced director) who has always told me not to pre-judge anybody ... and she has the same feeling about it that I did.

She thinks the lady doesn't know what she's getting into and believes she should see a show first.

I know there are many people who love the business more than the opportunity ... my exec is one of them ... but in this case, my AD believes this lady was approaching every business in the fair looking for a job.

I know there are many people who are so determined they can make it work no matter what ... time will tell if she is one of those.

Baby steps ... meanwhile ... when she's in her apartment we'll call to invite her to one of my director's shows in her area, provided she can get someone to help her.

good for you!! Keep up the great communication--Bravo!!

Di ~ I apologize....I guess "poor choice" of words for me and not reading your post very well. I should have said "everyone has the ability to do GREAT with PC." I forgot about when folks are on disability, there is a limit they can earn.

Di_Can_Cook said:
I told her that the only concern I could see was that she might have difficulty getting into other people's homes ... she said she thought her son could carry her in and out. (Of course, he'd be carrying her stuff too ...)

Di ~ I apologize....I guess "poor choice" of words I used. I should have said "everyone has the ability to do GREAT with PC." I was addressing your statement (above) ~ meaning I, myself, am AMAZED on the capabilibilities folks in wheelchairs have. Sometimes their abilities are greater than mine...with my two feet! :D

I forgot about when folks are on disability, there is a limit they can earn...good point!

I say, give her all the info she needs so she can make the informed decision. If she signs and it doesn't work out...she tried.

Please do not think I was 'attacking you" ~ that's not my style...sorry!

What is a "Recruit Who Is Disabled"?

A "Recruit Who Is Disabled" is an individual with a physical, mental, sensory, or cognitive impairment that may have a substantial and long-term impact on their ability to perform daily tasks or participate in the workforce.

What are the benefits of hiring a "Recruit Who Is Disabled"?

Hiring a "Recruit Who Is Disabled" can bring a diverse perspective and unique skills to the workplace. It also promotes inclusivity and demonstrates a commitment to equal opportunity employment.

What accommodations should be made for a "Recruit Who Is Disabled" during the recruitment process?

The recruitment process should be accessible for all individuals, including "Recruits Who Are Disabled." This may include providing alternative formats for job postings and applications, as well as offering accommodations during interviews and assessments.

Are there any legal requirements for hiring a "Recruit Who Is Disabled"?

Yes, in many countries, including the United States, there are laws that protect the rights of individuals with disabilities in the workplace. These laws, such as the Americans with Disabilities Act, prohibit discrimination against qualified individuals with disabilities and require employers to provide reasonable accommodations.

How can I create an inclusive and welcoming environment for "Recruits Who Are Disabled" in my workplace?

Creating an inclusive and welcoming environment for "Recruits Who Are Disabled" starts with educating yourself and your employees about disabilities and the importance of accessibility. This can also include implementing inclusive hiring practices, providing accommodations, and promoting a culture of diversity and inclusion in the workplace.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• noelskitchen
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
noelskitchen
  • noelskitchen
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
noelskitchen
  • avelissar