• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Advertising Opportunities for Potential PC Representatives

a lot in the community events and started a blog. I think the key was to be very visible and be willing to take the time to get to know my neighbors.
ChefKrisB
Gold Member
I'm hoping that someone here can give me some advice...
I have a potenial recruit that is not signing (yet) because of our advertising policies! She feels that if she's going to pay for the kit, be an independent rep, and pay for a website...that we should be able to use the web to advertise. (honestly, I agree) For her, she has just moved (2 weeks ago)from the east coast to the other side of the country. She knows NO ONE and wants to start PC. But, money is tight, and paying for print ads can get expensive. There is so much free web advertising available, but she can't use it. (ie craigslist, town papers online, etc.)
Bottom line: she's reconsidering doing PC...even though she loves it!

Sideline: She has young children, not in school yet, so no connection there. they haven't found a church yet, and hubby just started this new job and doesn't feel comfortable promoting her.

Personal soapbox: I with we could post ads online for ourselves too. It would really promote traffic to the websites. :blushing:

What kind of advise are you looking for? The policy is what it is & they're not going to change it. Have her look for fall festivals, booths, etc to help her get started. If she wants to do PC & loves the products, she'll be able to make it work.

I'm just not sure what to tell her. I made some suggestions, but $$ is really tight and she can't afford to pay out for more than the kit. I don't know...I guess I just needed to vent it out. :)

She can still get business by posting her info at local businesses: grocery stores, laundromats, etc - basically any place with a bulletin board.One of my recruits was disappointed with the advertising policy when she signed, too. She had plans to run her business primarily through web sales (as it sounds like your prospective recruit wants to). Once she had been to a couple of shows and done a couple, though, she realized that it's much easier to build a sustainable business through personal contact (shows) than would be through web advertising.

Yea, she's looking to do mostly online stuff. I'm hoping that she'll reconsider...

Kris - I'm just re-reading my post & it sounds kind of snippy. I apologize for that! It's been a rough day with the kids as my middle dd just punched me in the back & knocked the wind out of me (she's 3).

Has your potential been to any shows? Like Ann said, maybe that would help? She can do some online catalog shows back home to help her get started & help her earn back the price of the kit. Especially if she does $1,000 within her first 30 days (and signs by Sunday). She can get the 77.50 rebate on her kit.

Crystal, your post was fine! :)
I'm on both sides...there's nothing I can do about the policy...it is what it is.
I'm going to suggest some of the things Ann mentioned, and re-suggest them in a different way and see what she says. Thanks!

PS...good luck with the kiddos! Don't miss the 3's at all!

Definitely suggest the online shows. That could perk her interest. Plus, isn't there something about the website being free for 90 days or something?

Yes, new cons. that qualify get a free website for 90 days...good point.

I have to finish getting ready for my show today...I look forward to any other suggestions. Crystal, Ann, thanks so much for your quick responses!!!:balloon:

And even though she just moved, her family could do catalog shows to get her started, too.

So, she doesn't have money, but wants to be able to pay for online ads? That doesn't sound right. Online shows will get her so much more business than an online ad. She doesn't have to be qualified to have a website, but she will have to pay for it if she wants it before she qualifies. I would set her up on your personal website until she has her own and get her going on an email list. Other than that, I'm not sure what else she has in mind.

I have to weigh in on this. I moved almost three years ago knowing noone but my realtor and now business is booming. What did I do? I marched around the neighborhood introducing myself as the new neighbor and inviting them to a Pampered Chef party (I did mention I was the consultant). I had 7 people come (I think because they're curious to see the inside of the newbie's house) and got 3 bookings, a bunch of new customers and referrals after that. I also participated in our local state fair and am still working off leads from my first year's booth.

It's totally possible to start a business when you know noone. You just have to be able (and willing) to step outside of your comfort zone.

Just my 2 cents.

I moved with young children - and was 8 months pregnant - and knew no one and had no outlets except church but people there didn't talk to us either (it was a large church so we just blended in I guess). So as not to go totally crazy I looked for a "play group". I figured there had to be other moms of 2 year olds and babies in the town. I didn't find a group but my church let me use the nursery and I advertized to start the group in our local paper. Through that group we developed a large group of friends. I also learned about the Newcomers group in the area and met people through there.

I am telling you all this because these are some ways she can meet people. I was not with PC at the time but it would have been a great way to get started in a new area.

Also... a consultant who relocates can talk to her realtor and other business people in the new town, and/or advertise in the church or small town paper for very little. Like others said, she can do catalog shows with family and friends at the old location or anywhere in the country - and even cooking shows - it would be a good excuse to visit.

Brainstorm with her to come up with other ideas that she could use!

I had a consultant who signed, did 1 show, and then decided to market her business on Craig's list. I clearly went over the policy with her, and she did it anyway, arguing with me all the way that "this is the way people market their businesses". Even though I secretly don't agree with HO's policy (I personally think there has GOT to be a middle ground here), it is the policy. Consultant qualified and then quit because of the policy. I think that the policy needs to be reviewed because things have changed even in the past 3 or 4 years with the internet, and I think that there has to be a way they can revisit this to make it a bit more fair. But the policy is what the policy is, and it's important that we sign people that are willing to obey the rules. Period.

crystalscookingnow said:
Especially if she does $1,000 within her first 30 days (and signs by Sunday). She can get the 77.50 rebate on her kit.

You can offer to her that if she signs up by the 30th and does $1250 in her first 30 days that you will give her the other half of the kit back...PC pays her half for the $1000 submitted and you receive a $100 for that also so why not invest it into her.

I do not agree witht he policy either but it is what it is. I do understand however, why that policy is there. It is there because PC wants to be known for face to face customer service...at least that is what I was told.

Even if she wants to try to run her business solely through the internet, it's not going to thrive. The best way to work our businesses is through personal contact, like Ann mentioned, and THAT is why our policy is what it is. The internet tends to dilute things and can destroy the ethics of the company, making it look like one of those "get rich quick" schemes, instead of the personal, family-type business it is meant to be. Our National Execs will even tell you that. I would let her know that, if she wants her business to be successful, doing it only online is not the best way to go. JMHO

We are not an internet based business. Thank goodness.

And if it was open for anyone and everyone to create their own websites, and post on every message board available, we'd all be complaining about people who had the money to create extravagant websites, or had all day to post on the net... there's always a negative even though the grass looks greener.

I understand that it sounds odd when you first discover it, but it really and truly is there to help it be fair for every consultant, and keep the spirit of the PC Cooking Show alive.

And although there are exceptions, I think most would agree that catalog shows don't generate the kind of business, and leads, and bookings, that cooking shows do.

There are lots of internet based businesses out there. We're just not one of them.

Again, what does she want to do online that she can't do and is free?

I paid the Merrill website, I think $5, to create an ad and I paid my local newspaper to run it for one week. It's easy as that. I sent all my neighbors post cards letting them know I'm a new consultant and I plan to have a "Meet your neighbor/PC" party in October. Once you get your name out there, it's easy going.

What kind of results did you get from your local paper? I was considering doing that too. Just wasn't sure if it would only draw in the wierdos looking for free stuff or easy money.

Thank you all soooo much for the tips! This is just what I needed.
To address a couple of things...she wants to use things like craigslist, online classifieds, town papers online, things that offer free advertising. I agree that the policy may need to be revisited just because soooo many people use the net for things now. Just for middle ground. Not making new web pages or anything like that. Just my opinion...but I completely understand why we can't. I love the fact that PC is a customer service, personal business!!

I'm going to suggest all these things to her and see what happens. I really appreciate hearing from those that have moved...I haven't dealt with that personally, so it's hard to put myself in her shoes. Thank you, thank you for the suggestions!! :)

I agree with Beth about the playgroup advice. I moved here 2 years ago, and found a playgroup from the meetup.com website, and it has been the best for meeting people. (Note, I did not start my business until 10 months after moving, so I had already had the group of friends to start my business.)

One way to help her start her business in a new area might be to Pamper a Biz. Have you checked out the "New way to Pamper a Biz" thread.

Thanks Brenda...I haven't looked at the thread, but I'm heading there now! ;)

IAmChefJ said:
What kind of results did you get from your local paper? I was considering doing that too. Just wasn't sure if it would only draw in the wierdos looking for free stuff or easy money.
It's supposed to run next week. The paper was running a special so I'm only running it for one week. If I get a good response, I will extend it. I just can't spend $34 a week in advertising when I'm just starting out. I did like someone's idea of doing a "Pampering a Business." There's a way to get your name out there.

Just an update...I just talked to this girl and she took a childcare job for a couple of days a week. It's under the table, kids close in ages to hers. So, she's not going to do PC. She said babysitting would be easier!:eek:
Personally, I think having four kids under the age of four for a couple of days would drive me nutty!! :D I love my two, buy having someone else's is just alot of work...IMPO. Oh well! On to the next...

I just recently paid for my local town newspaper to run my ad two-column spread (had Merrill do my ad) to reach over 6,000 people. 12 issues. I'm hoping to get my name out there and have some response in addition to me contacting people. I may even put an ad in a gated community newspaper which is my town's sister newspaper but in same area, 4,000 see that paper.

My newspaper ad is coming out this Tuesday. Gosh, I hope I get some business....

1. What are the best platforms for advertising as a PC representative?

The best platforms for advertising as a PC representative are social media, such as Facebook and Instagram, as well as local events and community gatherings. You can also leverage word-of-mouth marketing by reaching out to friends, family, and acquaintances to spread the word about your business.

2. How can I effectively target my advertising to reach potential PC representatives?

To effectively target your advertising, you can utilize the demographic and interest-based targeting options on social media platforms. Additionally, attending local events and joining community groups can help you connect with potential representatives in your area.

3. Can I use paid advertising to promote my PC business?

Yes, you can use paid advertising to promote your PC business. Facebook and Instagram offer affordable advertising options that allow you to target specific demographics and interests. Just be sure to stay within your budget and track your results to ensure a positive return on investment.

4. Are there any restrictions on advertising for PC representatives?

Yes, there are some guidelines and restrictions that PC representatives must follow when advertising. For example, you cannot make false or misleading claims about the products or the business opportunity. It is important to familiarize yourself with the company's policies and guidelines before creating any advertisements.

5. How can I measure the success of my advertising efforts as a PC representative?

To measure the success of your advertising efforts, you can track metrics such as website traffic, social media engagement, and sales. Don't forget to also ask new representatives how they heard about your business to get a better understanding of which advertising methods are working best for you.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• augmommychef
  • Pampered Chef Bookings
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • ItalianChef
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
ItalianChef
  • wadesgirl