• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I Recruit a Potential Team Member for My Consultant Business?

In summary, the speaker is reflecting on their first 30 days as a consultant and already having someone interested in booking a show outside their friend and family circle. They have concerns about losing bookings from this potential recruit and feeling pressure to promote quickly. The advice given is to share bookings with the recruit and continue to grow their business by reaching out to their list of 100 and asking for referrals. The speaker shares their own experience of struggling with similar concerns but eventually finding success by focusing on the needs of their hosts, potential recruits, and guests.
Jillybill
I've just gotten through my first 30 days as a consultant, and I already have someone interested in the business. We're still going to talk more about it, she just asked me some questions about it and I'm following up later.

This lady is having a show in September, and she's my first (solid) booking outside my friend/family circle. I have one other lead for a show outside of my circle, but she is moving at the end of August so couldn't commit to a date before she sorted that whole thing out.

I guess my concern is this - if this lady signs and I hand over any bookings from her show, there goes a whole circle of people while I'M still trying to grow my business. :( And having one recruit does nothing for me whatsoever, aside from the new promo (which is only valid if she does $1250 in 30 days.) I would feel so much pressure to promote ASAP and have tons of shows to make the FD requirements. So I might get $100 and lose out on normal commissions. I wasn't really looking for a downline, but I don't want to turn her away or anything...

What do I do?

When you do this girl's show and IF she decides to sign tell her you will SHARE her bookings with her. This way, you are not losing out and neither is she. Now, given, people like her mom, her best friend and her sister would probably do a show for her naturally, but maybe a friend that someone brought wants to host and that one and others she may not know as well would be your bookings. Make sure that when this lady has her show that she OVERINVITES and tells EVERYONE to BRING A FRIEND!!! This well help you out tremendously!
Now, also keep working on your list of 100 and keep calling those on your list to get you some more solid bookings as well. This way you won't have to worry so much about losing any bookings because you will already have a decent looking calendar after you call all 100 on your list! Good luck and Congrats on having this recruit lead. It really isn't a bad thing to grow a team. Also remember, the currrent promo is $1,000 in their first 30 days but it ends on August 31st and you said she's doing her show in September. You will benefit by earning $50 PC dollars because you are still in your 90 days! You will benefit even more when you sign up two! Don't feel pressure to promote! You would only need a minimum of 3-4 shows to meet the FD requirements and I see your goal is 8 shows a month! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

I worried about that same thing when I started and that's why it took me 3 years to promote.

I can tell you that if you make it about THEM (your hosts, your possible recruits, your guests) YOU will thrive. Once I put what I would get - or lose - on the back burner things changed!

I recruited 2 long time hosts that had long strong lines of shows from them and their friends. When I needed a booking one of them was happy to help. Well, they both finally signed in the same month. I admit that it "took" a lot of business from me and I struggled for several months. Finally, with coaching from my director, I realized that I needed to actually do something about it. I got on the phone and did customer care calls, follow up calls, asked for referrals, etc. I got myself back on track.

You are new. ASK FOR REFERRALS. Tell everyone you want to succeed and that you need their help to find people outside of your circle so you don't have to depend on them for business. Wear the logo. Business is everywhere. Share.

BethCooks4U said:
I worried about that same thing when I started and that's why it took me 3 years to promote.

I can tell you that if you make it about THEM (your hosts, your possible recruits, your guests) YOU will thrive. Once I put what I would get - or lose - on the back burner things changed!

I recruited 2 long time hosts that had long strong lines of shows from them and their friends. When I needed a booking one of them was happy to help. Well, they both finally signed in the same month. I admit that it "took" a lot of business from me and I struggled for several months. Finally, with coaching from my director, I realized that I needed to actually do something about it. I got on the phone and did customer care calls, follow up calls, asked for referrals, etc. I got myself back on track.

You are new. ASK FOR REFERRALS. Tell everyone you want to succeed and that you need their help to find people outside of your circle so you don't have to depend on them for business. Wear the logo. Business is everywhere. Share.

Thanks for this post Beth! I am dealing with this exact scenario this week! I had both of my new recruits with me yesterday....and as we were talking about their first shows, I realized every single one of their shows was a host of mine!:eek: I'm losing a ton of business - but gaining 2 team members!

ChefBeckyD said:
Thanks for this post Beth! I am dealing with this exact scenario this week! I had both of my new recruits with me yesterday....and as we were talking about their first shows, I realized every single one of their shows was a host of mine!:eek: I'm losing a ton of business - but gaining 2 team members!

Becky, I am here to tell you that it is SOOO worth it! Not only are they building their businesses we are building even stronger friendships! It is definitely win - win!! :love:

One of the ladies in our cluster who just promoted to Exec Dir tells a funny story. When she first started with PC she wanted all the bookings so when people would ask her how to become a consultant she would tell them "Oh, I'm so sorry, the company isn't hiring right now". Too funny! She realized what she was missing out on and look at her now!

This is a great post and I would love to hear more imput. I have the same situation. I didn't realize I needed 2 recruits to receive an override. Also I didnt' realize the impact of potentially handing over the bookings. I'm also within my first 90. I do feel more pressure than I wanted at this point. She is very much going to sign and yes it is very exciting but also stressful. I am trying to work on my list because as of yet I do not have any cooking shows in my calendar since my inital ones and her's that I booked off another show. I had a great start to my business and want to continue just trying to do my best. Good luck and congrats.

smspamperedchef said:
When you do this girl's show and IF she decides to sign tell her you will SHARE her bookings with her. This way, you are not losing out and neither is she. Now, given, people like her mom, her best friend and her sister would probably do a show for her naturally, but maybe a friend that someone brought wants to host and that one and others she may not know as well would be your bookings. Make sure that when this lady has her show that she OVERINVITES and tells EVERYONE to BRING A FRIEND!!! This well help you out tremendously!
Now, also keep working on your list of 100 and keep calling those on your list to get you some more solid bookings as well. This way you won't have to worry so much about losing any bookings because you will already have a decent looking calendar after you call all 100 on your list! Good luck and Congrats on having this recruit lead. It really isn't a bad thing to grow a team. Also remember, the currrent promo is $1,000 in their first 30 days but it ends on August 31st and you said she's doing her show in September. You will benefit by earning $50 PC dollars because you are still in your 90 days! You will benefit even more when you sign up two! Don't feel pressure to promote! You would only need a minimum of 3-4 shows to meet the FD requirements and I see your goal is 8 shows a month! YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Oh, in Canada it ends Sept 30, and it's $1250. But I forgot about the PC dollars. So I could potentially get $100 cash and $100 PC out of it.

I'm doing my first host coaching call this afternoon, and I'm going to try and be the most enthusiastic awesome host coach ever. I'm really going to try and go above and beyond for high attendance.

And then if she decides to sign I'm going to recruit another person ASAP so I can promote!! Honestly I am just worried that I wouldn't have time to be a FD. I am going to school in the fall (full time, but the schedule is part-time). Then I will have a part time job (15-18 hours a week) and homework and then PC! Whew! I guess I just have to take a breath and think very positive.

I'm doing customer care calls tonight - everyone cross your fingers for bookings!

I've been a consultant for 3 years at the end of this month and still haven't recruited anyone, just by fear of loosing bookings! I feel really foolish cause I just love PC and I would be crazy not to offer this wonderfull oportunity. Thanks for the wonderfull advice. I have to really stick to my hostess calls, customer care calls and not be affraid to ask people if they ever heard about the Pampered Chef and if they would be interested in getting more info.

Thank you!

pamperedlinda said:
One of the ladies in our cluster who just promoted to Exec Dir tells a funny story. When she first started with PC she wanted all the bookings so when people would ask her how to become a consultant she would tell them "Oh, I'm so sorry, the company isn't hiring right now". Too funny! She realized what she was missing out on and look at her now!

I burst out laughing at this!! How funny!!!

I also am one that is hesitant to recruit. In my area I am currently driving anywhere from 20min to 1.5 hours to get to a show and that is just ONE way!! Anyhow, w/ the driving that I do to get to the shows, I am still having a tough time getting bookings and I don't want to lose my bookings.
At one time I had a downline of 4. One lady had to quit for medical reasons, one was a very young girl that got a new bf and he didn't want her to do this, one is still active and the other one moved and went to college. I am very happy that I didn't make directorship at that time b/c it would have really hurt me when they all quit.
I loved having a team and looking back I was making quite a bit of extra cash off them, and I would LOVE to do it again, but I am a chicken and don't want to lose bookings. But I want a team!!!

I finally recruited the lady that cuts my hair. She has helped me book several shows by helping me advertise. I feel good because now I get to help her to get her business started. I think she will be a great help to my future cluster sales when I become a Director.

You will never go wrong by helping someone else start their business. Sharon's advice is super; let your new gal know you'll be glad to share your business (your bookings) with her.

What does "Hesitant to Recruit!" mean?

"Hesitant to Recruit!" is a phrase commonly used to describe a situation where someone is hesitant or reluctant to actively search for and recruit new members or employees.

Why would someone be hesitant to recruit?

There are a variety of reasons why someone may be hesitant to recruit. Some common reasons include fear of rejection, lack of confidence in their recruiting abilities, or a belief that they do not have enough time to devote to recruiting.

How can I overcome my hesitation to recruit?

If you are hesitant to recruit, there are a few strategies you can try to overcome this hesitation. These include setting specific goals, practicing your recruiting skills, and seeking support and guidance from experienced recruiters.

What are the benefits of being an active recruiter?

Being an active recruiter can have many benefits, such as expanding your network, increasing your influence, and helping your organization or team grow. Additionally, recruiting can also be a valuable skill and experience to have in many industries.

Are there any risks associated with recruiting?

Yes, there can be risks associated with recruiting, such as the potential for rejection or negative reactions from potential recruits. However, with proper training and preparation, these risks can be minimized and the benefits of recruiting can outweigh any potential risks.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• msmileyface
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
msmileyface
  • wadesgirl
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • wadesgirl