• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

2 Possible Recruits Want to Sign but Don't Have Kit $$

then they are not serious about it. Just keep trying different things to get them to sign and produce.
nancycookspc
Gold Member
ok, I have 2 people who want to sign but the $$ for the kit is a problem.
Even w/ the rebate for 1/2 they cannot get the money up front.

I've mentioned hosting to bring down the cost, but still 115 is alot to them.

I mentioned borrowing the cash, having a yard sale ect...I just think that times are tough and people really need the money but can;t afford the start up to get ahead.

ANY IDEAS??

I am meeting witth 1 tomorrow-

nancy

Nancy, I have the same problem with one of my potentials. I feel for you!My director told me (in all her wisdom) that if we enable our new consultants now, they will expect us to do the same throughout their whole career! Thats not what I wanted to hear, but it rings true!

nancycookspc said:
ok, I have 2 people who want to sign but the $$ for the kit is a problem.
Even w/ the rebate for 1/2 they cannot get the money up front.

I've mentioned hosting to bring down the cost, but still 115 is alot to them.

I mentioned borrowing the cash, having a yard sale ect...I just think that times are tough and people really need the money but can;t afford the start up to get ahead.

ANY IDEAS??

I am meeting witth 1 tomorrow-

nancy

You've given them good suggestions. There's not much more you can do. The borrowing the money seems to be the best possibility because chances are, she'd earn it back within her first few shows and be able to pay people back. I wouldn't get into loaning out any money though. Some people do, but I just stay away from that.

Can they put it on a credit card? By the time the bill comes, they'll have a commission check and will be able to pay it off!

Ok, I will be honest.
I am a director, been in the biz 61/2 yrs. Just moved 6 months ago and rebuilding my biz.
MY original gals are in another state- I have 5 left including 3 on leave. the other 2 need to submit this month or go on leave.
So I need ALL I can get.
AND I need to have them sign & produce or I could relinquish 10/1

Don Funt said once, that he loaned them the cash till they had thir 1st shows, he actually got a check from them before signing and then would cash it when they got paid.

Just think one of those gals could be the next superstar or super dud

so I am so confused

AmieCream said:
Nancy, I have the same problem with one of my potentials. I feel for you!

My director told me (in all her wisdom) that if we enable our new consultants now, they will expect us to do the same throughout their whole career!

Thats not what I wanted to hear, but it rings true!

I agree with you. I was talking to my director about this today. My new recruit (my FIFTH one) is hesitant on signing b/c he doesn't have the money for the kit. She says all you can do is keep in contact with him, suggest ways to get the money, etc. She says she's dealt with a lot of people who've stated they don't have the money to start and then it's like 'well, i don't have the gas to go to shows', or there's a million other excuses.

Bottom line is that there is only so much we can do as recruiters. If you're a sugar mommy, then front them the bucks. I, personally, don't have the money to do so.

One of my consultants had this situation and asked the recruit to collect $1250 in catalog shows orders (told her to recruit friends and family to help her get her business started.) This is how you know they are serious. She loaned her her kit to do a show and she did it!! My consultant loaned her the money for the kit and took a postdated check to be cashed when her commission check arrived. This recruit has sold $3000 and her 90 days are not over yet.

Addie4TLC said:
One of my consultants had this situation and asked the recruit to collect $1250 in catalog shows orders (told her to recruit friends and family to help her get her business started.) This is how you know they are serious. She loaned her her kit to do a show and she did it!! My consultant loaned her the money for the kit and took a postdated check to be cashed when her commission check arrived. This recruit has sold $3000 and her 90 days are not over yet.

Thats a great idea!!

I think that if you suggest something like this and they frown on it then they're not serious about doing this as a business. They should expect to make an investment and ours is tiny for all they get.

I agree our investment is a small one. We make out like bandits with all of the opportunities that PC gives to us.

My mom fronted the money for me to get rolling...and I never stop thanking her for it, even though she's been repaid. She also held one of my first shows! I really didn't like calling her to ask, but once I explained that I was serious about making this work, she said that it was worth it to her. She's one of my biggest cheerleaders! :)

I know money is tight for your potential recruits, but surely they have SOMEONE they can borrow from? I wouldn't (personally) get involved with lending the money out, not unless it was someone you knew was going to repay you with absolutely no doubt. Too much risk if you can't trust them completely!

I'd be VERY CONCERNED about fronting the money for someone you barely know!

I, too, would loan the recruits your kit and have them start doing shows ... and if they get $1,000 in sales (which is not hard, I did it!) then do like Addie suggested.

And I really feel for directors with small teams ... I know so many directors who are struggling!

IF you are going to front the money, I would for sure get a post dated check from them FIRST. My recruit still owes me $117. It was the sister of a friend of mine so I went ahead and covered it for her. BIG MISTAKE. I won't be doing that again.

My suggestion to you is two-part. Do it on an installment plan. Have them pay for half of it one payperiod and then the other half the next. Then give them catalogs and order forms and have them collect $1000 in orders before the date they will sign. Then as soon as they sign they can submit the $1000 as four shows, be qualified, get their rebate(as long as they do it this month), and get a $200 commission. So then they really aren't going out of pocket for their kit at all, because they will get it back almost immediately.

Christ Follower said:
IF you are going to front the money, I would for sure get a post dated check from them FIRST. My recruit still owes me $117. It was the sister of a friend of mine so I went ahead and covered it for her. BIG MISTAKE. I won't be doing that again.

NEVER ACCEPT A POST-DATED CHECK!
1. It is worthless when it is written. You know that and the account holder knows that.
2. If and when the check is deposited and bounces, you have no recourse whatsoever against the account holder. WHY? See #1.

Ok, off my soapbox, but it's all true!

I guess (since I deal with the above every day), my thoughts are this....
IF they can't scrape together enough for a full-priced kit, or a reduced-price kit, how in the name of Marla are they going to be able to do a show? They will have to invest a few $$ for office supply-type things to get started. Perhaps practice a recipe or three. Gas to and from show.
What this situation is already saying, to me anyway, is that they have already decided they can't do this business! They could host a show and get kit credit.....they could have a garage sale......they could borrow from someone.....they could put it on a credit card......you have given them great options. If you pay for them to sign, is it really their business? They have no investment whatsoever in it.
Sorry, I thought I was off the soapbox earlier. I am now.

ljeffries said:
1. It is worthless when it is written. You know that and the account holder knows that.
2. If and when the check is deposited and bounces, you have no recourse whatsoever against the account holder. WHY? See #1.

IF they can't scrape together enough for a full-priced kit, or a reduced-price kit, how in the name of Marla are they going to be able to do a show? They will have to invest a few $$ for office supply-type things to get started. Perhaps practice a recipe or three. Gas to and from show.
What this situation is already saying, to me anyway, is that they have already decided they can't do this business! They could host a show and get kit credit.....they could have a garage sale......they could borrow from someone.....they could put it on a credit card......you have given them great options. If you pay for them to sign, is it really their business? They have no investment whatsoever in it.

Great Soapbox, Lamar!:thumbup:

I completely agree.

ljeffries said:

Very well said, Lamar! If they really want to do this business, they'll find a way to make it happen.

Okay everyone. I agree she shouldn't pay. That is why I suggested doing installments. However noone on here know what is going through someone elses mind. You don't know that they don't want to do this. How do you know they haven't tried anything. Personally if it had been me, I would not put it on my credit card. We only use cards for emergencies. You don't know whether or not there is anyone they could borrow from or not. There might not be. As for a garage sale - not everyone has that much stuff laying around that they would get that much for it. Honestly, instead of being so negative about it why don't we try to help Nancy come up with solutions

Between the kit credit for hosting a show AND the current 50% rebate, they've got to be able to come up with the money some how - borrow, yard sale, something!

I can say I don't agree with all the posts here. Not everyone has a credit card. I don't & can't even get one due to my past history. Not everyone has someone to borrow from. I know plenty of people like that. Just because a person doesn't have the means doesn't mean they aren't serious about the business. I think the best option in this case is to do what Heather mentioned. Have them pay in installments & start collecting orders. Once they have the kit paid, submit the agreement. Then submit the orders.

I like the idea of having them collect some catalog show orders and submitting them immediately upon receipt of the consultant number. However, for that to be viable, the new consultant will still have to come up with the $155 to order the kit, since their commission can't come in before the kit is ordered. But by getting an agreement in writing and fronting that money, you would have documentation just in case (heaven forbid!) you end up having to go to small claims court to get repaid. And by timing it right, you and your new recruit could have your money in less than 2 weeks - sign on the 13th or 29th of the month, get consultant number and submit the catalog shows the next day, and get commission on the next commission date.Additionally, by collecting $1000 in orders on a few catalog shows, the new recruit would immediately qualify for the rebate, that they could then turn around and use for business supplies to get going with cooking shows.

I appreciate all your thought and ideas.

I cannot really afford to buy kits!
don't want to get in that biz.

I do however really like the ideas of paying installments & collecting orders as well. I think asking them to collect $1250 or 1000 is a bit much. Just by the sheer number. You are asking someone to collect 1K in order who can;t even afford the kit. I will ask them to colllect at least 25 orders and show them how they can add up to 1K.

just did a show yeste day $500+ host was amazed she sold that much. Now me looking at it its average, but to the untrained eye looks massive.

So I will use this approach w/ my potential.

I will be meeting her in 2 hours :)

nancy

nancycookspc said:
I appreciate all your thought and ideas.

I cannot really afford to buy kits!
don't want to get in that biz.

I do however really like the ideas of paying installments & collecting orders as well. I think asking them to collect $1250 or 1000 is a bit much. Just by the sheer number. You are asking someone to collect 1K in order who can;t even afford the kit. I will ask them to colllect at least 25 orders and show them how they can add up to 1K.

just did a show yeste day $500+ host was amazed she sold that much. Now me looking at it its average, but to the untrained eye looks massive.

So I will use this approach w/ my potential.

I will be meeting her in 2 hours :)

nancy

Good luck, Nancy!!!

Good Luck Nancy!

If she collects $800 in orders she will have more than enough to pay for her kit ... since she would get a bonus for submitting more than $750 ... I'd have her start submitting orders NOW and even if she doesn't get more than $500, say, "Do you realize that if you turned this in as your starter show, you would immediately earn $100, and then get $75 of the money for your kit back as soon as you turn in another $500, plus you'd get $100 in commission?" She'd get $100 almost immediately, and another $175 once she turns in the rest. That would be very little up front investment for her.

well, she called and had to re-schedule...maybe she's a flake who knows.
I am leaving for vacation and will meet w/ her when I get back. But I will however contact her probably in a day or so and send her catalogs and see if shell collect orders.

nancy

Before this was a recruiting incentive, my upline director offered this incentive to me but the stipulation was for me to submit 4 shows in a month, so my future director would take directorship. Silly me, didn't accept it once I submitted.. I just enjoyed her calling and pushing me forward. I don't know if you wanted that to be an option. I believe if there is a will there is a way!

In my 8 years, I had occassionally offered to pay $25 and have them use their kit credit. I think I did this a couple times. I did front the money once and the woman did pay me back, but not as quickly as she promised.

I think that this is a personal decision, however, be prepared to be stiffed because just when you think you can trust someone, they prove you wrong. I have been stiffed a couple times and it will NOT happen again.

If you sit down and show her what she can get besides this fab rebate, she will be making out like a bandit as someone said. I too have told people to get their 4 parties on the calendar. Have the first one about 5 to 7 business days after they plan on ordering their kit. Put it on a credit card (if they have one) and they will be sent the rebate BEFORE their credit card bill arrives.

Good luck and feel very confident about this great offer from PC. As others have said, if there is a will, there is a way. Some people are hot to sign and then some family member ditzes direct sales companies and that blows their confidence.

1. How much does the Pampered Chef starter kit cost?

The Pampered Chef starter kit costs $99, but there is currently a limited time promotion where new recruits can join for only $39.

2. Can I make payments on the starter kit?

Unfortunately, we do not offer payment plans for the starter kit. However, you can choose to pay for the kit with a credit card or use our financing option through Affirm.

3. Are there any discounts or incentives for signing up with a friend?

Yes, we offer a "Bring-a-Friend" discount where both you and your friend will receive $20 off your starter kits when you sign up together.

4. What is included in the Pampered Chef starter kit?

The starter kit includes over $450 worth of Pampered Chef products, business supplies, and training materials to help you get started on your business.

5. Can I return the starter kit if I am not satisfied?

Yes, you can return the starter kit within 30 days of purchase for a full refund. However, we encourage you to attend a few training sessions and try out the products before making a decision.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• KellARooni
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
Kristina21
  • pkd09
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
mscharf
  • Bren706