• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Partylite Fall Line Kickoff: Understanding Kit Costs & Benefits

In summary, the girl at the party said that the cost of the kit is $90, but they offer a rebate program. She also mentioned that people who never embraced my jewelry business are supporting this one. She said that people who are not excited about the product are the ones who take the kit and do nothing with it. She said that people who are excited about the product usually recruit others. The lesson that the author learned was to ask her employee to join PC.
Intrepid_Chef
Silver Member
I was talked into attending the kickoff for Partylite's new fall line by two friends of mine who are BIG into their products. (I like their products too ... but have never had a successful party unless you count the time a friend of mine got a LOT of outside orders for me.

Anyway, one of the girls was excited because she had just signed ... I congratulated her and when she asked if I was a consultant, I told her I was a consultant, but for Pampered Chef.

She said, "Oh yeah, I heard they charge NINETY DOLLARS for their kit." She made it sound like it was a crime or something.

I smiled and said, "Actually, it's $150, but they have a kit rebate program going on right now." Also said that this was to ward off the "kit nappers" who take the kit and do nothing. The aforementioned friends are guilty of being Partylite "kitnappers" and could never make it work.

Anyway ... it was all about the candles and not PC ... so I didn't tell her that most people I know see candles as a luxury ... that people who never embraced my jewelry business are supporting this one ... and they just gave me $1,100 worth of stuff so I think I'll stick with them! (I made 10 percent more selling jewelry, but 10 percent of nothing is nothing ... I'm doing so much better with this!

She wasn't a potential recruit anyway (I didn't know her) but should this come up again, how do I explain the concept of paying for a kit to people who come from a "free kit" culture?

(Oh, and I thought it was so funny how they explained how to make a beautiful table setting with their products to distract from their bad food ... I wanted to stand up and say, "I can help you with that!")

I've never been to a Party Lite party. I have purchased their candles and they are okay.

I wish you would have told her your 4th paragraph. That was great!

Di_Can_Cook said:
(Oh, and I thought it was so funny how they explained how to make a beautiful table setting with their products to distract from their bad food ... I wanted to stand up and say, "I can help you with that!")

That is too funny and so sad! I don't think the prettiest candle in the world could distract from bad food!

I have found that people get so excited about that FREE kit, but, if they don't hit the "goals" set for them, they will pay for their kit and if they also don't want to pay for it, they must return it. I sit next to a Partylite girl from work who has tried to "out do" my PC benefits by saying how they get this or that when they do this...I laughed at her the one day when she said that she could get something retailed at $25.00 by submitting $1000 or $1500 in sales or something. I was like, really...wow...did you earn it? she said well no, sales are hard to come by right now. I said to her that PC has always offered GREAT and attainable benefits and what all I earned w/ 2 shows and $1500 in sales...she just looked at me. I had to laugh.

Last edited:
GourmetGirl said:
That is too funny and so sad! I don't think the prettiest candle in the world could distract from bad food!
I agree with you!:)

I had a Partylite party two weeks ago because I really wanted to get something for free. The consultant has been with the business over 10 years and she is good! (Actually learned a couple of things! :)) Here's the kicker-she actually recruited one of my employees that was a guest! What?? I couldn't believe it-sitting in my living room scheduling a recruiting interview! OK-so after I got over the shock (not really, I just like to be dramatic) I went to work and recruited a different employee of mine!! AHA-Take that Mrs. Partylite!

All joking aside-There are a lot of DS companies out there and some have tried them all. We can trash their products, but obviously they have an audience or they wouldn't continue to sell!! The real lesson here is-had I ASKED my employee/guest to join PC? NO! She is probably better suited selling candles anyway-but it did get me to sit up and look at someone else in the office who is going to be AWESOME at it!! Take that Mrs. Partylite! :chef:

So I haven't bought anything Partylite in about 10 years! Why? Because it is expensive to me and I still have a drawer full of candles. :)

Of course, I love my firehouse candle holder...my candle lamp and a few other things... :)

Oh, and my trio that DH broke two of...:cry:

Fortunately Diane had a replacement for me...yeah!

Now I need to get through summer so I can make a WONDERFUL dinner with all my PC products and use those few candles on the table and an ACCENT not a centerpiece. ;)

Di_Can_Cook said:
I was talked into attending the kickoff for Partylite's new fall line by two friends of mine who are BIG into their products. (I like their products too ... but have never had a successful party unless you count the time a friend of mine got a LOT of outside orders for me.

Anyway, one of the girls was excited because she had just signed ... I congratulated her and when she asked if I was a consultant, I told her I was a consultant, but for Pampered Chef.

She said, "Oh yeah, I heard they charge NINETY DOLLARS for their kit." She made it sound like it was a crime or something.

I smiled and said, "Actually, it's $150, but they have a kit rebate program going on right now." Also said that this was to ward off the "kit nappers" who take the kit and do nothing. The aforementioned friends are guilty of being Partylite "kitnappers" and could never make it work.

Anyway ... it was all about the candles and not PC ... so I didn't tell her that most people I know see candles as a luxury ... that people who never embraced my jewelry business are supporting this one ... and they just gave me $1,100 worth of stuff so I think I'll stick with them! (I made 10 percent more selling jewelry, but 10 percent of nothing is nothing ... I'm doing so much better with this!

She wasn't a potential recruit anyway (I didn't know her) but should this come up again, how do I explain the concept of paying for a kit to people who come from a "free kit" culture?

That is TOO funny! I actually would have had to make myself NOT stand up and say that! I think Party-lite products are extremely over priced, and I can get a much higher quality Yankee Candle for less- that smells better and actually scents my home- not just the 3 inches surrounding the candle.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but if this discussion comes up again in the future, I would just tell them that you are glad you have to pay a small amount for your PC kit- mostly because you have now invested hard earned money into that kit, so you are more apt to take your business seriously- additionally when you have to pay for something yourself- or work to get the money to pay for something, you cherish it more, and take better care of it.

Free candles, and free votive glasses- vs. Majorly discounted kitchen tools and products... Hmmmm sorry- that's a no brainer! I

stopped buying candles about 4 months ago- and went back to a can of fabreeze air freshener! It lasts longer, and is cheaper! When gas goes back down to $3.00 or less per gallon and I don't have to take out a Home Equity loan to buy groceries and DH is back to work, I'll buy more candles- but I can promise you this- if I break a kitchen tool, or find I need to replace an aging one... I'm going to go out and buy it! Candles are not a necessity right now.

I would rather pay something for my kit- because I feel like I've earned it- it's MINE! Then pay nothing for it and maybe not get things with as high of a value to them...

HTH

I agree with what everyone posted. What I know from my own experience is that yes I did have to come up with $155.00 which when you are doing this for extra money was not easy but I did look at it as an investment. I also know I earned it right back after just 2 shows that averaged 450.00 each. So after the 2 shows I not only received my 155.00 back, but I received 200.00 in PC money to spend (joined in May), just earned another 50.00 for submitted over 1250.00. Then I received a cute pumpkin dish, waiting for bamboo bowl and got a cute grinder, just for submitting 2 shows. I'm actually ahead, no inventory I can comfortably book parties, and grow my collection using PC money. It has given me an easier way to own my own business! Good luck with your potentailly new recruit!

Don't you just LOVE this company? I think we are by far the BEST!!!

I've been to one PartyLite party and that was the most boring thing I've ever sat through. The consultant talked non-stop about the candles, etc. and some of the people were so "into" it that it was almost funny. I just don't get excited about a candle or some of the other tacky stuff they have. It was extremely overpriced and the only thing I bought was a small candle holder (no candle included) that is no bigger than a coffee cup. It was $20 and sits on my bedside table. A friend of mine was having the party and she's had a PC show for me so I hated not to go and buy something. When the consultant started talking about hosting a show of your own my friend immediately yelled out "I know who will have one........Sandi". I glared at her and told her "No I'm not". That put a stop to it pretty quick. Afterwards I told her that the people I would invite are not into candles and I've tried having jewelry shows before and people just aren't interested. PC is something you can use everyday, plus they get to eat, and I have a much better turn out. She was fine with it so we let it go.

That was the first and last PartyLite party I'll go to. PC makes much more sense when it comes to spending money.

Another line I've used is although I'd love to take time to host a show to see other direct sales, my calendar is so filled with my PC business I don't have time. ;) It sure gets the other consultant thinking "what am I doing wrong."Remember a full calendar for me might not be a full calendar to you. I schedule family and other events first so I may only have 1 good night free...if it's filled with PC, I'm full! ;)

My Pl cons earns the trip every year and I know her sales aren't as high as mine nor does she do as many shows I wonder what their incentive structure is for trips

Teresa Lynn said:
My Pl cons earns the trip every year and I know her sales aren't as high as mine nor does she do as many shows I wonder what their incentive structure is for trips

Well 1 thing I know from my PL lady is the trip is JUST for her! If DH wants to go he pays....

I agree about partylite being very expensive. I picked up a catalog the other day at a local coffee shop and my eyes were just bugged out from the prices BUT I have to say this, everyone is different.. some of my friends would look at that book and say its decent prices and they love candles and they wouldnt spend the money on PC. so its just a matter of taste I think. I honestly have to say before PC I never would have had an interest in it. I didnt cook, I didnt care about getting nice things for my kitchen BUT a woman at my sons school was a consultant, I asked her about it.. offered to throw a party and THEN I started to fall in love with the products. When I got the free stuff I was like ohhhh, this is nice ( I ended up getting the dots dinnerware set) and that was when she started to try and recruit me. Now I totally love my stuff, I have a kitchen full of awesome products BUT I have two or three friends who dont want any of the PC stuff, they have told me flat out they arent intersted in it and thats fine. I agree that its not for everyone. Personally, I dont like candles, they make me sneeze LOL.. but I have alot of friends who would buy a candle over pc since they dont spend much time in the kitchen.

my Aunt actually sold partylite about six years ago and she was doing very well with it but quit because they had a ton of quality issues. she had so many customers calling her to replace candles that she just had enough. I dont know if they are any better now but that has to be frustrating as a consultant.

I hosted a show once to help out a friend and ended up with a $1000.00 show, she asked if the products could be shipped to her because she was a SAHM at the time so I said sure. I went to pick up the order from her home and she apologized, half the items were broken and had to be sent back. On a side note, her house was a disaster it smelled and had trash everywhere and the carpet (light mauve almost pink in color) was covered in smelly pet stains! She was a SAHM with a 2 year old. I was practically gagging because of the old food on the coffee table in her living room. I think I ran from her home into my car. When the replacement items came in, I requested that she drop them off at my house. I've never looked at Party Lite the same since that experience.

Well, my consultant has been doing this for years and years and always earns the trip ... but the past couple years, she hasn't gone because she couldn't afford the "buy in" for her husband ... in the past she's earned enough points to take them both ... but not lately. That tells me her sales are down.

I think they limit the time of year you earn points, too.

Gosh I love how other DS companies find out start is high or not I didn't run into that yesterday I just ran into a hostess past one saying if i ever get anymore freebies she will take she isn't going to have another show she loves the products just too expensive. I was just was miffed. I said oh I don't get freebies but my hostess does.

janetupnorth said:
Another line I've used is although I'd love to take time to host a show to see other direct sales, my calendar is so filled with my PC business I don't have time. ;) It sure gets the other consultant thinking "what am I doing wrong."
I used this very thing with 2 of DS companies recently that wanted me to do a show. And I said I am so sorry, but I just don't have any free time for a show because I'm doing so many of my own!!! :D It was so awesome to be able to say that!!!

Oh - not PL, but some gal picked up my business card (I think she's into Quixstar - been there, done that NOT going back) and she called and asked me 1 question: "so how is your business doing in today's economy?" I was THRILLED to say "IT'S DOING GREAT!!!" She was speechless for about 10 seconds and then said, "really??!!??" All I could do was smile and say "YUP!"

Isn't it great to say that? I think I had my best month in July with only 2 shows and August is looking good too. ...just think what it'd be like if I did 8 a month! TPC in sales would be easy if I had a schedule like that!

I just had a PL party on Tuesday. I got $330 worth of products FREE! Oh wait...NOT free. By the time I paid for shipping and taxes on the free stuff, I still had to pay about $70!

So it was still a decent deal, HOWEVER, I had friends there at my party commenting about how much they love PC because when PC says "it's free," it ACTUALLY IS!

Christ Follower said:
I just had a PL party on Tuesday. I got $330 worth of products FREE! Oh wait...NOT free. By the time I paid for shipping and taxes on the free stuff, I still had to pay about $70!

So it was still a decent deal, HOWEVER, I had friends there at my party commenting about how much they love PC because when PC says "it's free," it ACTUALLY IS!

I KNOW!!! Same with Tupperware and Home INteriors! I don't want to pay S&H OR TAX on my FREE items!! GO PAMPERED CHEF~!

my PL consultant (different one from girl at work) just did an $1100 show for me last week and she gave me her list and had taxed everything at full price. I called her up to let here know that she over taxed herself by $20.00!! She was thrilled...and a little miffed that PL doesn't do that!!

although PL is a free kit, they must have 6 qualifing shows with in 2 weeks. They do not get paid on their shows until they sell a certain about.
So I feel it all comes out in the wash, pay now, pay later.

Two daughters of a friend got into PL a couple of years ago. They both only stayed w/it about a year or less. The one said she was just trying to get some things she wanted to decorate her home.

FYI- the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) is cracking down on DS companies that advertise free kits. A friend of mine told me about it a few months ago.

chefann said:
FYI- the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) is cracking down on DS companies that advertise free kits. A friend of mine told me about it a few months ago.

Interesting Ann...that is part of their guidelines...in order to be considered a legitimate BUSINESS it has to have some investment.

my Momma always told me "ain't nothin' in life truly free!"

My Previous Product Line got infected with a lot of ex-Partylite people and came up with a "free kit" program. The kit wasn't even released to you until you had a $400 show, and then you were expected to sell $1600 within a month. My director was all happy about this until I told her that if this was the way it was when I came in (I came in under an earn and learn program where I split my commission until my kit was paid for) I would not have signed, because I would have known I couldn't sell that much. I'm just a slow starter.I think PL people get paid for every show they do beyond the starter show, which has to be $350. So that means their kit really costs them about $88.

Kitchen Diva said:
[/B]

That is TOO funny! I actually would have had to make myself NOT stand up and say that! I think Party-lite products are extremely over priced, and I can get a much higher quality Yankee Candle for less- that smells better and actually scents my home- not just the 3 inches surrounding the candle.

I don't know if this will help you or not, but if this discussion comes up again in the future, I would just tell them that you are glad you have to pay a small amount for your PC kit- mostly because you have now invested hard earned money into that kit, so you are more apt to take your business seriously- additionally when you have to pay for something yourself- or work to get the money to pay for something, you cherish it more, and take better care of it.

Free candles, and free votive glasses- vs. Majorly discounted kitchen tools and products... Hmmmm sorry- that's a no brainer! I

stopped buying candles about 4 months ago- and went back to a can of fabreeze air freshener! It lasts longer, and is cheaper! When gas goes back down to $3.00 or less per gallon and I don't have to take out a Home Equity loan to buy groceries and DH is back to work, I'll buy more candles- but I can promise you this- if I break a kitchen tool, or find I need to replace an aging one... I'm going to go out and buy it! Candles are not a necessity right now.

I would rather pay something for my kit- because I feel like I've earned it- it's MINE! Then pay nothing for it and maybe not get things with as high of a value to them...

HTH
If anyone wants some candles I MAKE THEM! Good quality ones too that aren't skimpy on scent either. I had a candle business with an ex-friend of mine that was all about making money and not doing the work. Needless to say, I dissolved our friendship and the business we had together and restarted my own. PC started to really take off so I put that on the WAY back burner. I still have tons of supplies and make some from time to time and did a fundraiser for our scout group last year and sell to our dentist who buys them by the case. Anyway, let me know if you're interested!

1. Why do I have to pay for a kit to become a Partylite consultant?

Paying for a kit is a common practice in direct sales companies like Partylite. The kit provides you with all the necessary tools and products to get started and be successful in your business. It also helps to weed out individuals who are not serious about the business and only want a free kit.

2. How much does the Partylite kit cost?

The cost of the Partylite kit varies depending on the season and promotions. However, it typically ranges from $99 to $150. The current kit rebate program allows you to earn back the cost of your kit by meeting certain sales goals within your first few months as a consultant.

3. Are there any benefits to paying for the Partylite kit?

Yes, there are several benefits to paying for the Partylite kit. Firstly, it provides you with a variety of products to showcase at your parties, which can help increase your sales. Secondly, it gives you access to training and support from the company and your upline, which can help you grow your business. Lastly, it shows your commitment to the business and can attract potential customers and recruits.

4. Why is paying for a kit necessary if I can just start my own business for free?

While it may seem like starting your own business for free is a better option, it often comes with hidden costs such as purchasing supplies, marketing materials, and other necessary tools. With the Partylite kit, you are getting everything you need in one package, making it a more cost-effective option in the long run.

5. How does paying for a kit differ from other direct sales companies?

Each direct sales company has its own policies and procedures, including the cost of the starter kit. However, paying for a kit is a common practice in the industry and is a way for the company to ensure that their consultants are serious about the business. It also helps to cover the cost of providing training and support to their consultants.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• BBratrace
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • pcsharon1
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Nanisu
  • noelskitchen