• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

How can I motivate my unmotivated recruit?

In summary, Lisa is having trouble motivating her recruit who is having trouble starting off the new job. She may have been so bummed out about the grand opening that she appears unmotivated to you. Also, she does not have your responsibilities (God bless you!) Ask her why she signed up - what about PC intrigued her enough to make the investment? If anything she says points to things she has not gotten yet (commission, free products) then offer to help her put together a plan to get those things. If she answers "the starter kit" then I fear you have recruited a kit-napper. :
buckeyefan08
Hi everyone! I need help.
I recently signed my first recruit and was so excited... I wish she was. She had her grand opening show at my house. One person showed up. Then half way through the demo her cell phone rang and she answered it!!!! It was her boyfriend, he showed up and she dropped what she was doing (we did the demo together) ran over to the door and started kissing him! (with tounge!:yuck:) I was mortified and just jumped into the demo in her place. Go figure the lady didn't book a show! She has one show booked the others all fell through. She's not excited or inspired or anything! What do I do? She lives at home, she has another job, I just don't know how to motivate her. She's young but I don't think that is an excuse, I'm young too. I know that we are in totally different places in our lives. (I'm 24, with a husbandof 6yrs, mortgage, and 3kids, not typical for my age to say the least!) I just can't relate to her so my question is what can I do to help her?

First, Lisa, I empathize with you. I think many of us have been in your situation with a recruit who gets off to a shaky or no start!

She may have been so bummed out about the grand opening that she appears unmotivated to you. Also, she does not have your responsibilities (God bless you!)

Ask her why she signed up - what about PC intrigued her enough to make the investment? If anything she says points to things she has not gotten yet (commission, free products) then offer to help her put together a plan to get those things.

If she answers "the starter kit" then I fear you have recruited a kit-napper. :-( But let's not make any assumptions.

Good luck!

Lisa,
I just had to say hi, not to highjack, but I am 25, have been married for 5 1/2 years and have 3 kids too! Collin 4, Kaitlynn 3, and Tyler 20 months. We have a lot in common. How long have you been doing Pampered Chef?

I agree with Susan - ask her what her reasons for signing up were, and find out what her goals for her business are. You can also ask her what she expects of you - does she need a 'boss', a gentle nudge every once in a while, or does she just want to go it alone?

OK, now that I got that out of the way, EEEEEEEEEEEEWWWWWWWWWWWWW on the kissing the boyfriend part - NO WAY!! That is just WRONG!!! (ROFL - that's a funny story, too!) ;)

Thanks for the advice. I'll call her today.

TYhe kissing was so gross! Her boyfriend is such a wierdo! I wanted to go take a shower! LOL!

So, I'm a complete newbie here and just wanted to say "hi" to everyone. However, the boyfriend and the kissing is one of the first threads I've read and all I want to say now is "Ewwwww". LOL! Good luck! I hope you can sway her in the right direction.

I think the kissing of the boyfriend like that shows her maturity level. She might not be mature enough yet to do something like this. Good luck!

Lisa,I am single too (though I am older than both of you) and work a full-time job. I also had scant attendance at the live parties I have hosted!Know what got me to qualify in my first 30 days? BOOK PARTIES! Also ... I called and contacted everyone I could think of to host a show.Can she get some business at work to at least have a good qualifying show?I'd encourage you, too, to have an honest talk with her to discuss what motivated her to sign in the first place. Explain all the benefits she'll get by getting a strong start, and that she'll easily earn a profit on top of the other benefits.If she turns out to be a "kit napper" then she still walks away with lots of cool stuff. And GROSS about the b/f!

kaseydee said:
I think the kissing of the boyfriend like that shows her maturity level. She might not be mature enough yet to do something like this. Good luck!

I'm going to agree with Kacey on this one. I signed at 19, and am 21 now, and I would never dream of doing something like that at a show. It's definitely possible for young consultants to be successful, but age and maturity are two very different things. It seems to me like this girl is lacking in the maturity department.

Although, she may just be unfamiliar with the etiquette for home shows. I've noticed a lot of people my age struggle with the concept of professionalism as it is, and the relaxed atmosphere of being in someone's home might make her think that it is more casual and acceptable to act that way. If you are comfortable with it, you could have a conversation with her about how to behave in a professional and business-like manner at shows, including how we dress, interact with the guests, etc. But of course, wording it in a way to make it seem like friendly business advice, and not like you are calling her out on any specific behavior.

It sounds like the bigger issue is that she isn't motivated or excited about the business. The others gave some great advice on asking her why she signed in the first place. I would start there. There may be other issues that are making her seem unmotivated. I know I came across that way at first, but it was really just because I am a very shy person and had some insecurities and nervousness to work through that were masking the excitement. Not that this girl sounds shy, but still, you never know what sorts of issues/doubts/concerns she's dealing with until you ask. Good luck!

Lisa,I hate to hear that this has happened with your 1st recruit.Please don't let it get to you though! Press on with your own shows and recruiting efforts... The cream will rise to the top, and you WILL have more recruits. You will have some that motivate themselves, and some that just don't seem to care.The one thing that concerns me for you is that you are wanting to "motivate" her. Make sure you always keep in mind that you are not in the "babysitting" business. Please don't ever take that responsibility on yourself. Her business depends on her own desire to make it successful. What motivates others most is seeing YOU in action. If you spend too much time investing in her business, you might not be providing enough fuel to your own business, and this will reflect in your long-term success.Getting your team going as a new consultant is always difficult in the beginning because it seems so slow to start. Stay focused on your goals and what it will take to get there. I'm certain none of them are dependent solely on this single recruit.In a nutshell, my personal recommendation is to move on. Don't ignore her or let go of her, but you need to keep looking for those superstars to bring to your team. Not every one of your recruits will be a superstar. But you HAVE to recruit the others in order for the SUPERSTARS to rise to the occasion.Here's to a very PROSPEROUS day!!!!
Cyndidisclaimer: These thoughts and opinions don't necessarily reflect those of everyone (or anyone) else in CS. They are just my humble opinion, and I hope they provide some encouragement and hope to just a few of those who read them.

What is an "Unmotivated Recruit"?

An unmotivated recruit refers to a new member of a team or organization who lacks enthusiasm, drive, and commitment towards their role and responsibilities.

Why is it important to address an unmotivated recruit?

Addressing an unmotivated recruit is important because their lack of motivation can negatively impact team morale and productivity. It is also important to identify the root cause of their lack of motivation in order to find a solution and potentially turn them into a motivated member of the team.

What are some common reasons for an unmotivated recruit?

There can be various reasons for an unmotivated recruit, such as a mismatch between their skills and the job requirements, lack of proper training or support, personal issues, or a toxic work environment. It is important to communicate with the recruit and understand their perspective in order to identify the cause.

How can I motivate an unmotivated recruit?

Motivating an unmotivated recruit can be a challenging task, but some approaches may include providing clear expectations and goals, offering support and resources, recognizing and rewarding their efforts, and creating a positive and inclusive work environment. It is important to also listen to their concerns and address any issues they may have.

What are some long-term solutions for dealing with an unmotivated recruit?

Some long-term solutions for dealing with an unmotivated recruit may include providing ongoing training and development opportunities, setting achievable goals, fostering a positive work culture, and offering regular feedback and recognition. It is also important to address any underlying issues and continuously communicate with the recruit to ensure their motivation and satisfaction in their role.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• raebates
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
pcchefjane
  • gilchrist_pchef
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
pcchefjane
  • kittychef