• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Maximizing Success: Recruiting in Rural Areas Without Overcrowding

Northern Michigan, a rural area, has a director who consistently makes TPC in sales and maintains a strong cluster. This provides inspiration for other consultants in small areas who may be afraid of having too many consultants in one area. It is possible to succeed in rural areas by utilizing online orders and recruiting.
Jennie4PC
I do want to recruit but I am afraid of having this area with to many consultants. There are about 20k people in my area and right now about 4 consultants maybe. My biggest fear is having too many consultants in 1 small area. I know I have said in the past that all of us cant hit all the people in 1 yr. but I still cant get over that fact. For those of you who live in rural areas how do you become directors and how do you do. I hope this makes sense.

And also yes I am in a very rural area we have the closest big city a little over 300 miles away.

There is a director in my larger cluster....(she is a sister director w/ my director) who lives in Northern Michigan....a large city would be at least 300 miles from her, and she literally lives in the North Woods.Every year that I have been a consultant she has made TPC in sales, and she maintains a strong cluster of her own. Every time I wonder if I can do this, I think of her and think - "wow, if she can do it living way up there, then I certainly can do it here!"

Jennie4PC said:
I do want to recruit but I am afraid of having this area with to many consultants. There are about 20k people in my area and right now about 4 consultants maybe. My biggest fear is having too many consultants in 1 small area. I know I have said in the past that all of us cant hit all the people in 1 yr. but I still cant get over that fact. For those of you who live in rural areas how do you become directors and how do you do. I hope this makes sense.

And also yes I am in a very rural area we have the closest big city a little over 300 miles away.

Jennie - I am in a town of 8,000. There are about 18 local consultants - yes, I said 18!!!!

I only MAYBE notice one or two of them once in awhile. It doesn't affect my business.

ChefBeckyD said:
There is a director in my larger cluster....(she is a sister director w/ my director) who lives in Northern Michigan....a large city would be at least 300 miles from her, and she literally lives in the North Woods.

Every year that I have been a consultant she has made TPC in sales, and she maintains a strong cluster of her own. Every time I wonder if I can do this, I think of her and think - "wow, if she can do it living way up there, then I certainly can do it here!"

Are you talking about Christie?

janetupnorth said:
Are you talking about Christie?

No - I don't know Christie....this is....ummm, okay, I'm drawing a blank, but she isn't Christie!:eek:

Shoot - I should know her name - I always chat with her when I see her, because she graduated with my DH, and her parents go to church with his parents.

Everyone has a kitchen don't let fear stop you go for it!!

Well, you have to remember that although there are only about 20,000 people in your town, those people probably have family and friends in other places that could do online orders. Plus, you would still be getting commission from your recruits!! I say go for it!!

ChefBeckyD said:
No - I don't know Christie....this is....ummm, okay, I'm drawing a blank, but she isn't Christie!:eek:

Shoot - I should know her name - I always chat with her when I see her, because she graduated with my DH, and her parents go to church with his parents.

Lou Anne Ciske?

how many MK cons. do you think there are in your area and we know not every household has a person who wears cosmetics but I guarantee they all have a kitchen :)

ChefBeckyD said:
Nope - not her either.

OK, I'm stumped. Those are the 2 I hear that are in small areas and maintain TPC and do great...

Yell when you think of her!

Okay - Last year she was even in the Top 10 for Sales.....she is a pastor's wife, and has 4 or 5 boys....I even told her about Chef Success - because she can't make it to Cluster Meetings.I wish I'd kept my program from the Banquet!

ChefBeckyD said:
Okay - Last year she was even in the Top 10 for Sales.....she is a pastor's wife, and has 4 or 5 boys....

I even told her about Chef Success - because she can't make it to Cluster Meetings.

I wish I'd kept my program from the Banquet!

This year?

I have my program at home, I'll look later...

janetupnorth said:
This year?

I have my program at home, I'll look later...
Yes - she would be in there for TPC in sales....

Might want to change the header to put an extra o in too ...Anyway ... your recruit will likely reach a completely different market than you. Not everybody moves in the same circles. People may live in one town and work in another. They may have out of town friends and family. They may go to different churches, have kids in different schools, and belong to different social clubs.When you go to cooking shows, do you know every person in the room? Then chances are you don't know every person THEY know.I used to sell jewelry ... at the time my leader, and her leader, all were members of my church. I felt like I couldn't market to the church b/c I'd be stepping on their territory ... but when they left the church to go elsewhere, my sales didn't suddenly skyrocket. And though both of us had ties to the town where I worked, and we both marketed there, we rarely, if ever, reached the same people.

Thank you guys I do have 3 more people interested in signing only if I could get a hold of them.
And Teresa we have TONS of MK reps. Its actually kind of razy with how many are here.

see there you go I promise not everyone wears makeup in your town and they have plenty of business. If YOU don't recruit them another PC cons. will.go get them on your team

I recently moved to a town of 17K. I did a little research and learned there are approximately 50 consultants within a 35 mile (or so) radius. Of those, less than half have web sites and of those, more than half were significantly out of date. So, out of 50+ consultants, half seem to be truly working their business...and I'm guesstimating that of those, half are working it full-time (8 or more shows). That brings it down to about only 6 consultants doing this business consistently. So don't let the numbers worry you!

Also, if the four of you ALL did 8 shows every month with 10 different guests every time, that would still total less than 4000 people a year. That's without repeat customers and no out-of-town orders or shows in neighboring communities.

Lastly, don't decide for someone else whether this is an opportunity for them. Some folks only want to do 2-3 shows a month, some only want to do catalog shows, and some only pop-up twice a year (to trigger their discount benefits). And if you get a pistol who wants to do 8 shows a month, she will help spread the word on what a great product we have to offer...and that will help your business. :)

My thoughts...your mileage may vary.

As Marla said at Conference regarding this issue:
There are millions of people in the US - are they all your customers?

(that's not exactly what she said - but you get the gist)

Jennie4PC said:
There are about 20k people in my area and right now about 4 consultants maybe.

Man, I would LOVE to have a 5,000 (providing it was split up) customer base! I live in a larger city, lots of consultants ~ when someone asks me d you know...?" The answer is usually no.

There's never too many PC consultants!

Kitchen2u said:
Man, I would LOVE to have a 5,000 (providing it was split up) customer base! I live in a larger city, lots of consultants ~ when someone asks me d you know...?" The answer is usually no.

point in case~I live in the Richmond VA area, and never knew that 2 other Director's on here live near me until TODAY!!!!

I have a perfect example for you...When I first moved to our neighborhood (which is a small community) I was the first PC consultant around. I did a vendor fair for the local mom's group and got a ton of leads. Well I followed up on them and added them to my customer list, but never received any response or interest from them. I signed up a friend who lives in the same community and low and behold, I see one of the ladies on her calendar as a host (and she has since become one of here best customers). Another friend never expressed any interest in PC with me, but placed SEVERAL orders with that same recruit. SO, my point here is, they may be able to reach or connect with someone you or other consultants couldn't. When everyone in your community is a PC consultant...then you might have a problem. Until then, the more the merrier!!!:chef::chef::chef::chef:

Hey Becky - found the list for this year:1. Penney Parks
2. Jody Boyd
3. Connie Weber
4. Colleen Lynch
5. Martha McKiever
6. Darla Cole
7. Susan Yeske
8. Becky Freidig
9. Tammy Pieper
10. Christie McDaneld
11. Betsy Broene

I agree with the above posts. Better you recruit all of theses new people than the other consultants that are already out there. You will reap the benefits of a large team instead of keeping the opportunity to yourself and watching their teams grow.

For those who are worried about a town, try this on for size- My hubby is in the Navy and in our housing park alone there are 3 consultants!!!! Thats only about 200-300 homes total. Plus in the other housing park there are 3-4 as well. So just because there are 4 in a Town try having 3-4 in just a neighborhood. Oh and the great part- we have customers who use all of us and we don't care! LOL :) We love all our customers. We don't really step on toes.

Also, we are going to work together on a Holloween PC Party along with a Ladies Night out so it shall be interesting!!!

legacypc46 said:
I recently moved to a town of 17K. I did a little research and learned there are approximately 50 consultants within a 35 mile (or so) radius. Of those, less than half have web sites and of those, more than half were significantly out of date. So, out of 50+ consultants, half seem to be truly working their business...and I'm guesstimating that of those, half are working it full-time (8 or more shows). That brings it down to about only 6 consultants doing this business consistently. So don't let the numbers worry you!

Also, if the four of you ALL did 8 shows every month with 10 different guests every time, that would still total less than 4000 people a year. That's without repeat customers and no out-of-town orders or shows in neighboring communities.

Lastly, don't decide for someone else whether this is an opportunity for them. Some folks only want to do 2-3 shows a month, some only want to do catalog shows, and some only pop-up twice a year (to trigger their discount benefits). And if you get a pistol who wants to do 8 shows a month, she will help spread the word on what a great product we have to offer...and that will help your business. :)

My thoughts...your mileage may vary.

How did you do the research to fine out how may consultants in your area?

1/3 going out (not working their business - one foot out the door; the other on a banana peel)
1/3 coming in (getting started)
1/3 working the plan

Someone told me some years ago that a town can handle as many directors as there are banks. My town of 6000 has 4 banks, and so far I'm the only director. I've got a FD who's on fire, but she's in another county!

PCJen said:
How did you do the research to fine out how may consultants in your area?

Go to "Find a Consultant" on the PC home page. Type in the info for your town and instead of a last name, type in 'A'. This will bring up all the 'A's' in your area. Then do the same for 'B', 'C', etc. The system will lock you out after about 5 letters. Just go back later.

Don't let the number of consultants that come up bother you. Only a small portion aim for more than 3-4 shows a month (it's what fits into their lives and goals). Those with up-to-date web sites are the ones most likely working their business.

legacypc46 said:
Go to "Find a Consultant" on the PC home page. Type in the info for your town and instead of a last name, type in 'A'. This will bring up all the 'A's' in your area. Then do the same for 'B', 'C', etc. The system will lock you out after about 5 letters. Just go back later.

Don't let the number of consultants that come up bother you. Only a small portion aim for more than 3-4 shows a month (it's what fits into their lives and goals). Those with up-to-date web sites are the ones most likely working their business.

Thanks Legacypc46. I always wondered how I could find out. The numbers that come up won't bother me. I know of a hand full in my area that don't do much (1-2 shows maybe a month) and a hand full that do more. This will be interesting. Thanks again for sharing.

Glad to help. (Now if the PC server crashes because everyone is checking, don't blame me. I don't know if this feature is intentional or just a loop hole...hoping HO doesn't close it!)

Kitchen2u said:

Just think when you promote to Director and get all of those leads!!! Now that's a WAHOO!

chefmeg said:
point in case~I live in the Richmond VA area, and never knew that 2 other Director's on here live near me until TODAY!!!!

Ok, I'll admit I am one of the Director's Meg is probably referring to! And I am probably 40 miles away from her.
I know that there are 2 other Directors that live within 10 miles of me. One promoted the month after I did. So, we were building a team at the EXACT same time and never stepped on each other. We never even met until after Leadership (at the airport). Oh, and in my little town, we don't even have a stoplight!:eek: But obviously, I travel outside of my little town. Do I have people at my shows who attend other Consultant's shows? Yes. but they choose to attend THEIR friends (my host) show and buy, buy, buy. Your market is everywhere ALL THE TIME! Go get it!

yep, Amy is one of the Director's I never even knew was anywhere close to me!!!

which reminds me, Amy....where do you live???!!!!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• mom2kr
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
dawnsclassycupboard
  • pcsharon1
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
wadesgirl
  • xoangelaxo