• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Anyone Have Any Tips for Recruiting Amish?

In summary, the girl was probably not Amish, but probably Mennonites. Last year when I was at NC and at Leadership I saw them there. I went and visited some stores in the area yesterday and tried to introduce myself, but there were some barriers. I think it would be difficult to break in to that group, as from what I know of the Amish, they are a very tight knit group and don't mingle much with "outsiders".
chefliz
Gold Member
Actually not Amish, but probably Mennonites...Last year when I was at NC and at Leadership I saw them there. I went and visited some stores in the area yesterday and tried to introduce myself, but there were some barriers...

They didn't have phones. They didn't understand what I meant by a party.

And I kind of fumbled...I gave the very kind girl a catalog and an opportunity brochure explaining if they would rather me not come do a party for them, if I wasn't allowed to do it for them and they still were very interested (because SHE was), that if she wanted to sign up to sell the kettles and baking supplies, she could do the parties too.

Does anyone please have any recruits in the Mennonite communities? Or have you done parties for them??? I would love any advice you have. This young girl I spoke with was so excited and kind, I would love to speak with her again, but I don't want to offend her or her family in any way.

chefliz said:
They didn't have phones. They didn't understand what I meant by a party.

When you speak with her again, or anyone else in the community, don't say "party". Explain that you would be demonstrating how our tools work...something like that.

It might be tough to break in to that group. From what I know of the Amish, they are a very tight knit group and don't mingle much with "outsiders". I think they call us "English"...when they have a name for us, that might not be a good thing :D

I have had a couple parties where Amish came but never held any Amish do not have electricity to their homes or drive cars ( they often carry cell phones as they are not electric or have a wire attached they run on batteries so that is allowed in some sects. Now Menenites are very often at my shows in certain areas and have held parties and do have electricity and running water they just usually wear dresses and are very religious. There I see no barrier but Amish would be more difficult not sure if women work outside the home????

I grew up in an Amish community in SE Iowa (no, we weren't they just decided they liked our area and moved there) there is also a big Mennonite community 10 miles from where we lived. I don't see them hosting a show. Many of our products wouldn't work for them remember they cook for upwards of 15 children (plus the older grandparents also live with them they just build on wings to the houses)
I honestly can't think of any products except maybe our knives & they are pretty expensive that we have that would benefit them. they all have the tools our grandmothers used. They can their own food including meat and of course have no dishwasher, microwave or oven.you will never walk in any home that is cleaner than an Amish home or see laundry any whiter hanging on a line. those women work hard inside and out sun up to sun down. I don't know when they would have time to do partiesMy MIL neighbors have asked for my catalog which I mail them twice a year for the past 4 and they have never ordered.

GeorgiaPeach said:
When you speak with her again, or anyone else in the community, don't say "party". Explain that you would be demonstrating how our tools work...something like that.

It might be tough to break in to that group. From what I know of the Amish, they are a very tight knit group and don't mingle much with "outsiders". I think they call us "English"...when they have a name for us, that might not be a good thing :D

I did speak with her for quite a few minutes and we talked about how I would just show how everything worked, how all the products worked...She said usually they always did all the cooking for themselves and didn't know how that would "go over" if I did a recipe, so I smiled and said there were different ways it could be done and I was sure we could work something out, it was mainly just so they could see how everything worked. Because she wasn't married, she was really interested in getting things for her dowery. And she wanted to show her friends the products as well. I was actually quite excited. The thing is, I am not actually sure if she was Amish or Mennonite. Some are also stricter in their culture than others. (We have one group that do not even use lights on their carriages-I did not approach them at all...we are very much outsiders to them-some of the others even shop at our WalMart)

one way to tell
did she wear a dress of dark solid color fabric or was it small floral print in pastelssolid=Amish
print=mennonite

GeorgiaPeach said:

It's better than being called a Honkie! ;) LOL

Kitchen Diva said:
[/B]

I agree...there are MUCH worse things we can be (and have been!) called :)

chefliz said:
Actually not Amish, but probably Mennonites...

Please see my PM :)

Oh, never mind.

Last edited:
I do not know anything about adding Amish ladies to your team. HOWEVER, I went to NDA with 2 lovely ladies who are very successful. At this exact moment, I cannot remember their names. But, they were busy ladies who did home demonstrations for their family, friends and those outside the Amish community.

What impressed me the most, was the person I talked to, had an $800 party average. And was on track for an incentive. Due to a very busy life, she only has time for 6 shows a month, and her sales were usually in the $5000 range.

Amazing what hard work can do for you ;)

kspry said:
Oh, never mind.

Kspry....what did this mean? It is confusing me!!! (not a hard job, mind you!)

chefmeg said:
Kspry....what did this mean? It is confusing me!!! (not a hard job, mind you!)

I think she posted something else then deleted it. Her post was edited.

OK! it just made no sense at all!

I just finished reading a book by Jodi Picoult and it took place in an Amish community. She has a tendency to do a HUGE amount of research for her books, so she lived with a family for a period of time and it sounds like they are a SUPER tight knit group. I cannot imagine even trying to break into that, BUT I have seen Amish/Mennonite ladies at NC, so there must be a group willing to become involved in a DS company.

They do call us "English"! I loved hearing about the simplicity of their lives and really think we could learn alot from how they focus on family, God and neighbor....especially the neighbor part....looks like to me the chat box got a little heated, huh? "If you can't say something nice....."

Kitchen Diva said:
[/B]

I don't know if posting this will make things worse, or better but here goes.

First off- KSpry is right when she says that sometimes I don't think before I post. I also don't think each time before I speak, either. It is something that God is working on with me. However in no way did I mean anything negative or racially hateful in my post.

I took the previous post to mean that when the Amish refer to us as English that it isn't a nice term- so jokingly I said well at least we aren't called honkies. When I get chatty and giddy, I think everything I say is funny and I thought that would just be funny-

If I offended or hurt anyone in any way by saying that, I am very sorry and would like to ask for your forgiveness. I still do think that being called English is better than being called a honkie because I know that honkie is a negative term- but I never meant it to be so misinterpreted as it was by KSpry today in the Shoutbox.

This apology that I am typing is in no way meant to cause an all out war to go an bash anyone that attacked me- but it is my way of saying that I am sorry if in my attempt to be nothing shy of simply funny, that I upset someone.

I used to visit Lancaster County, PA once every 2-3 months when we lived in Maryland. I have a friend that has a couple of Amish friends and I will see if I can get in touch with her- she might have some advice for you ChefLiz!

So- please just let my apology stand, and don't let my apology turn into a big open can of fried worms!

chefmeg said:
OK! it just made no sense at all!

I just finished reading a book by Jodi Picoult and it took place in an Amish community. She has a tendency to do a HUGE amount of research for her books, so she lived with a family for a period of time and it sounds like they are a SUPER tight knit group. I cannot imagine even trying to break into that, BUT I have seen Amish/Mennonite ladies at NC, so there must be a group willing to become involved in a DS company.

They do call us "English"! I loved hearing about the simplicity of their lives and really think we could learn alot from how they focus on family, God and neighbor....especially the neighbor part....looks like to me the chat box got a little heated, huh? "If you can't say something nice....."

I think I read that book, but for the life of me, I can't think of the title now. But it was very interesting and really made me start to think about how much "stuff" that we think we can't possibly live without, we really can live without... and often times live better without.

katie0128 said:
I think I read that book, but for the life of me, I can't think of the title now. But it was very interesting and really made me start to think about how much "stuff" that we think we can't possibly live without, we really can live without... and often times live better without.

I am totally addicted to Jodi Picoult and have been reading everything she has written, therefore, I can't remember the name of it either, Katie!

hang on....it's coming to me....."Plain Truth"

I am off to bed....can't keep reading all these posts....gotta snooze!

I found the book I read... it wasn't one by Jodi Picoult. It is called "Plain and simple: A woman's journey to the Amish", by Sue Bender. It isn't a novel, but almost a journal of Sue's journey to live among the Amish to quiet her life and learn to refocus. It is a very good and very easy read.

They call us English mainly because we speak English. Most orders mainly speak a derivation of German (though they usually know English well).I am very interested in the Amish women who are successful in PC! How would they do that (not questioning their faith; I am genuinely wondering about the logistics...)? That's really amazing.

Mailing a letter tomorrow to one of my extended family members* , who lives the 'plain' lifestyle. Will ask her if she has any tips and ideas on selling and recruiting.

Yes, I'm including a catalog :) I know she likes Pampered Chef products and uses some. About 12 years ago we both bought Classic Round Bakers and we are both still using them.:chef:

She will probably reply promptly and of course I will share any info with all of you :)

* My father's older half brother was her grandfather. I think that makes us half-cousins once removed. Or not. :rolleyes:Anyone here have a geneology chart ? :)

I live in Northern Indiana and our cluster has over a dozen Amish/Mennonite consultants who are VERY successful(they could be the ones you saw at NC). One of our consultants who has an Amish background did a lot of shows for them and recruited one and the ball started rolling. They are very hard working,love having their own business, and are very friendly when you get to know them. They LOVE good quality utensils, when you cook alot that is very important. Since they don't use modern conveniences things like the food chopper are fantastic for them. They also usually have large shows because they are very family oriented and when they invite everyone comes. I hope this helps, I think if (as was stated earlier) you don't call it a party but explain you will come and cook for them and demonstrate our kitchen utensils she will understand. Just be prepared for no electricity and they usually use gas for lights and cooking so sometimes the smell of the gas can be overwhelming.

very, very helpful Melissa!

My closest experience with the Amish was while visiting in the Lancaster area. An Amish farmer befriended us, and I took his wife to a Saturday morning yard sale about ten miles from their home. Lo and behold, two PC directors lived in that development, and sat along side their PC tables in Director's chairs. They said they frequently did shows for the Amish and our loaf pans were very popular with them. This June, we visited in that area again, and one of the Amish ladies we have gotten to know was so proud that she had purchased a Stoneware bar pan. I had given her spice samples last year, and again this year with a SBCB. She said next time I came we should have some of the ladies over to see my PC products.

Grandmarita said:
My closest experience with the Amish was while visiting in the Lancaster area. An Amish farmer befriended us, and I took his wife to a Saturday morning yard sale about ten miles from their home. Lo and behold, two PC directors lived in that development, and sat along side their PC tables in Director's chairs. They said they frequently did shows for the Amish and our loaf pans were very popular with them. This June, we visited in that area again, and one of the Amish ladies we have gotten to know was so proud that she had purchased a Stoneware bar pan. I had given her spice samples last year, and again this year with a SBCB. She said next time I came we should have some of the ladies over to see my PC products.

Sounds like a party! (Just don't call it that!;))

Grandmarita said:
I had given her spice samples last year...

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but this line caught my attention and I would be very curious to know how you give spice samples. If you wouldn't mind PMing me or something, I would greatly appreciate it.

Now, back on topic. I am in California and I do not think there is an Amish person within 200 miles of here, so unfortunately, I am of no assistance in this area. Sorry.

1. How can I reach out to the Amish community for recruiting purposes?

One way to reach out to the Amish community is to attend community events and connect with individuals face-to-face. You can also try networking through Amish-owned businesses or through local Amish churches.

2. Are there any specific cultural considerations to keep in mind when recruiting Amish people?

Yes, it is important to respect the Amish culture and customs when recruiting. This may include avoiding the use of technology, dressing modestly, and being mindful of their traditional lifestyle.

3. What are some effective strategies for recruiting Amish individuals?

Some effective strategies for recruiting Amish individuals include building personal relationships, offering flexible work schedules, and emphasizing the community aspect of the job. It may also be helpful to provide information about the company's values and mission.

4. Are there any common misconceptions about recruiting Amish people?

Yes, there are some common misconceptions about recruiting Amish people, such as assuming they will not be interested in non-Amish jobs or that they will not have the necessary skills. However, many Amish individuals are open to non-traditional work opportunities and possess a strong work ethic and valuable skills.

5. How can I ensure that my recruiting efforts are respectful and culturally sensitive?

To ensure that your recruiting efforts are respectful and culturally sensitive, it is important to educate yourself about the Amish culture and customs. Additionally, it is crucial to approach recruitment with an open mind and to be willing to adapt to the unique needs and preferences of the Amish community.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefJen2012
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
Oracle
  • scrappergirl7
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
Patty Davis
  • Malinda Klein