• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Does This Ever Happen and if So, Is It Legal?

P
PamperedMommy2
I know people who own their own home-based businesses-similar to The Pampered Chef. They bought the "starter-kits", such as ours which is $155, for whatever the cost was for them, JUST to get the huge amount of products for such a low cost. They plan to sell just enough each month to get their discounts and they also give their "customers"(friends and family), the discounts.
Is it possible, and-or smart, to promote our starter-kit at the GREAT LOW PRICE and get recruits to do this, as described above, just to gain leadership for myself and gain recruits? I have not had one recruit yet. The people I know who I describe above, are signing people left and right because they get so much for such a great price.
What do any of you think and do you know if this has been done before?

Honestly....I probably know what companies you are talking about. Great for those other consultants but they are not building a team or making a difference for someone. While our kit is a pretty fabulous deal....recruiting for us is more about the opportunity to own your own business. It is the very best and highest quality item we have in our line.

IMO...people who recruit like this generally don't promote or stay with the company themselves.

PamperedMommy2 said:
Is it possible, and-or smart, to promote our starter-kit at the GREAT LOW PRICE and get recruits to do this, as described above, just to gain leadership for myself and gain recruits?
My AD used to promote the kit that way. She'd actually tell people that it was like getting a 75% discount on our top-selling items. And I had a host ask me about it last week (getting the kit just to get the kit).

The problem with doing that, is that chances are VERY high that those recruits aren't going to do anything with it. Not even qualify. I'd rather use my energy helping people who want to get started and build something, even if that's one or two shows a month. That said, as a very wise person pointed out to me last week, the agreement that a recruit signs when they order the kit is between them and HO. We can't be the kit police, since they (new recruits) don't sign a legal agreement with us.

erinyourpclady said:
Honestly....I probably know what companies you are talking about. Great for those other consultants but they are not building a team or making a difference for someone. While our kit is a pretty fabulous deal....recruiting for us is more about the opportunity to own your own business. It is the very best and highest quality item we have in our line.

IMO...people who recruit like this generally don't promote or stay with the company themselves.

I love your response Erin.

What those people are doing is self-serving and unethical (IMHO). You don't 'get leadership' thru just recruiting people...it's thru helping others successfully start and maintain a business. Also, that kind of directorship has no foundation and therefore is easier to loose. I'm not going to be naive and say there aren't a few directors out there who may do this, but they don't represent what PC (and Doris) is all about.

I do have a couple hobbyist consultants on my team who 'pop up' the month before Kit Enhancement and the new sample packages being available...but they turn in legitimate shows and don't abuse the discounts. They qualified up front so as to honor their agreement. They love the product and are happy to promote it (and submit orders...just not go after them:rolleyes: ). Some hobbyist leave after a year or so...but some see the opportunity and go on to actually make it a business.

chefann said:
HO. We can't be the kit police, since they (new recruits) don't sign a legal agreement with us.

Good point Ann.
I agree, most of these folks aren't interested in qualifying and would just drain the energy out of you.

We each have to do what we think is right...since it's our business. I personally choose not to sign someone who 'just wants the kit' without being committed to doing four shows or $1250 in sales. That's my choice...and I probably have lost a potential recruit or two...but I can honestly say I'm grateful for the great folks I do have on my team.*

*This isn't counting the one out and out kit napper I did have.

Last edited:
I startred just to get the kit and planned on doing my four shows and being done. I did my first 4 shows in three weeks and got my PC dollars and I was hooked. I have 7 shows this month and I'm going strrong. I think that anyway you get someone started is a good thing, you never know where it will take them or how it will change their life.

mom2two said:
I startred just to get the kit and planned on doing my four shows and being done. I did my first 4 shows in three weeks and got my PC dollars and I was hooked. I have 7 shows this month and I'm going strrong. I think that anyway you get someone started is a good thing, you never know where it will take them or how it will change their life.

I think that happens a lot Amy! LOL!!

mom2two said:
That was me too! Except I had to do 6 shows....but then, for 6 months there was free product you could earn, so I kept going.....and here I am!

I think the starter kit is a great way to get people to start the business. Most of the time people are going to do just what Becky and Amy did and get Hooked. The idea of earning free stuff and more incentives is too good to pass up once you get in. I did not start for the kit, but I know a lot of people who have. My director is one of them. She's been selling for 11 years!! I guess I wouldn't encourage people to start JUST to get the kit and be done, but I see no harm in promoting the wonderful products at such a great discount when you start. :)

I totally agree with signing someone who just wants the kit...provided they are willing to do the four shows/$1250 in sales. (Just wanted to clarify that.)

With the economy as it is ~ food cost rising, gas prices out-of-this-world, everything going up...BUT...salaries are staying the same or in some cases lowered (furlow days off, losing jobs, etc) ~ we need to promote what ONE party would do for them = $100 on the average. One party a week can put $400-$500 in their pocket. Focus on what the business can do for THEM...

I totally agree with not selling the kit. Our opportunity is so much more than the products although most of us start just to get more of that ! (I wanted the A P/C/S, was going to do my 6 shows and be gone...check out my show total now!) We have to really stress that with PC we can start making money right away; we have the opportunity to make PC$ in order to cut costs on our out of pocket expenses; we have a product that people not only love but need! Just like PC says...sell the dream!

As everyone else stated I think it is about building your team. Even in the other DS catalogs they seem to just promote it as not doing shows. I have been doing this for 3 yrs now and I am just barely starting to build my team.

Also who is your director in UT?

I had a women who signed up and now she is going to go inactive and she was the model person read everything before her kit comes and such but only did 2 shows (1 catalog show and 1 fundraiser) so never really live one and figured those two shows was not worth it and not making no money so she gave up and she was almost qualified but not willing to least try. It was kinda distribing cause I felt like she wasted a whole bunch of time. She gave up probably not even a month into it after she got her kit.

She almost acted like she thinks the money is going to get handed to her. She lives in a town like 10 times larger then our town and I do an average of 1300 a month and I am only in 3,000 population. It was just kinda of unnerving how she acted about it.

But I have seen how people use the kits as the key to get them signed and then the min they mention what is required which isn't alot they about flipp out and just give up when you know if they would just apply themselfs they would find the same values in the company and products and maybe the same reasons why you signed up in the 1st place. Instead of just getting awesome products for a great price and wasting all that paperwork.

I prefer to offer the option to not sign until we've already laid out a plan for her (or him) to have a strong shot at qualifying in 30 days or less (and earning at least 100PC$). All but two have taken me up on that...both ended up not doing any shows (one was a kitnapper, one was overwhelmed with life).

I've also lost a couple candidates because they changed their mind before signing.

Jennie4PC said:
As everyone else stated I think it is about building your team. Even in the other DS catalogs they seem to just promote it as not doing shows. I have been doing this for 3 yrs now and I am just barely starting to build my team.

Also who is your director in UT?

My director is Crystal Zidon. Do you know her?

WOW! A lot of great advice! Thanks everyone...I don't think it sounds bad to promote the kit and then really talk a lot about "it only takes 4 shows & $1250 in sales to qualify to start getting more PC quirks."
My problem with recruiting has been that when I start to talk about the business, everyone looks away and starts to chat with each other-no interest at all! I just don't get it...

Have you tried "BIG MONEY"? Works like a charm! At least gets people thinking!

If someone says they just want to save money and buy the kit, I do not encourage them to sign. I tell them what is expected of them. But, I would not discourage anyone who ways they want to get the kit, do their 4 shows and then quit. That is what I planned on 7 years ago. I signed because everything I wanted plus more stuff was in the kit and it was a whole lot cheaper. I intended to do my 6 shows and walk away. I am still a "hobby" consultant...sometimes I barely stay active...but sometimes I have a good month. I love earning free stuff, I love attending conference, I love getting out with grown women and having fun, and of course the money I earn is great...it all goes back into buying more PC products.

I already have a full time business...I used to also have a full time job...3 kids, a great husband and not very much time to devote to PC. But when I do get time I work the business. No, its not consistant and it won't make me rich, but I am having fun and earning...either completely free or at least at a discount...great products.

And, all that being said...I have a hobby consultant on my team. I had another recruit who was all excited about PC. She was going to do 2 shows every week, qualify in 30 days, stay at home with her children and make the business work. She qualified in 60 days and then quit...totally quit...to take a teaching job. She signed in April, quit in June, and didn't start teaching till August.

So, you never know what that recruit is going to do.

Last edited:
I honestly do not talk much about "the kit", I try to focus more on the $300 to $400 a month for 4 nights of work a month. I have had three recruits and my first one was a kitnapper.

1. Is it possible to use starter-kits to gain leadership and recruits in a home-based business?

Yes, it is possible to use starter-kits as a way to gain leadership and recruits in a home-based business. Many companies offer starter-kits at a discounted price in order to attract new members and incentivize them to join. This can be a smart strategy for individuals looking to grow their business and expand their team.

2. Is it legal to sell products at a discounted rate to friends and family?

It is generally legal to sell products at a discounted rate to friends and family. However, it is important to make sure that any discounts offered are within the guidelines set by the company. Some companies may have specific rules about how products can be sold and at what price.

3. Can promoting a starter-kit at a low price attract more recruits?

Promoting a starter-kit at a low price can definitely attract more recruits. A lower price can be more appealing to potential recruits, especially if they are able to get a large amount of products for a discounted rate. This can also be a great way to introduce people to the business and entice them to join.

4. Is it a smart strategy to use starter-kits to gain leadership and recruits?

Using starter-kits to gain leadership and recruits can be a smart strategy. Starter-kits can help individuals jumpstart their business by providing them with a variety of products to sell and discounts to offer. By using starter-kits to attract new members, individuals can also build their team and potentially increase their income.

5. Has this strategy been used successfully before?

Yes, this strategy of using starter-kits to gain leadership and recruits has been used successfully before. Many home-based businesses offer starter-kits as a way to attract new members and grow their team. By offering discounts and incentives, individuals can effectively promote their business and attract new recruits.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• melissa3026
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
melissa3026
  • pcsharon1
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Nanisu
Replies