• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Dealing with Friends Who Want the Kit Without Becoming a Consultant

not wanting to become a consultant. Haha!I'm glad you were able to help her out and set her straight. It's always best to be honest, but sometimes people may not want to hear the truth.
chefann
Gold Member
Augh!!

This is not the first time this has happened to me. I was host-coaching today, and my friend (the host) asked about the kit. Specifically, she wondered if she could order it and not become a consultant. I told her that ordering the kit included signing an agreement to become a consultant. "But couldn't I order it, and then call them and tell them that I just wanted the kit and didn't want to be a consultant?"

I told her that it was a legal agreement, and there was nothing in the kit that wasn't available individually. She didn't seem to like that answer (she was looking for a deal). I did try to rescue the conversation by telling her that many consultants have signed and made their kit money back in 2 shows. I wimped out on telling her that the agreement is that they'll do 4, but I didn't want to seem pushy (she had already complained about the monthly specials and the invitations I had for this month being to "charity junk mail-like").

Anyone else have this type of problem, and how did you get over it?

There is no such thing as being too honest. An agreement is an agreement - if she chooses to do otherwise then it is called stealing!

pamperedlinda said:
There is no such thing as being too honest. An agreement is an agreement - if she chooses to do otherwise then it is called stealing!
I could not have said it better myself! Well put, Linda. :)

And if it helps Ann, I get stuck in situations like you are in quite a lot due to my overly honest nature.

Good luck with this one, and don't be too upset because your friend isn't able to get a bargin for not doing what is required in order to get it. It isn't your fault- you didn't make the rules. :) And, rules are rules.

(BTW- not to hijack, but I made a simpson of me, and it gave me long wavey black hair and made me Indian- I think I'm going to have to find a better picture of me because they were WAY off!) :)

Sounds like she's one of those people who is always looking for a bargain and thought she could get one this way. At least she was honest with you and didn't just kit-nap.

Tell her that you checked with your director friends and that in order to get the kit she has to agree to do 4 shows - who knows she may love it! Explain the minimums (4 shows at $150 each) and the catalog show option. Who knows, she just might give it a try and grow into your next star.

I think what you told her Ann was right on the money.

I'm working on not pre-judging people, but really can't picture her doing any DS, just because she always seems to talk down about DS reps. As if she thinks we only do this because we can't get a "real" job. So I'm going to her show with recruiting info, and using Colleen's technique of specifically mentioning the insurance and investment plans. I think this friend would be good at it, but she'd have some hurdles to get over. Her new DH was a LONG time bachelor, and isn't used to the kids (one from her prior marriage, and one they had together), so she'd probably have to get a sitter. But she isn't looking forward to returning to work next school year (she's a teacher) because of the drive to her old district - and nobody in the area where she's living now is hiring teachers. So she could replace (at least part of) her income by doing this, or at least make some extra money to help cover her commuting costs if she returns to teaching.

I have a feeling that whatever you do that it will be the right thing. You strike me as very intuitive and smart, so I'm sure once you marinate on this for a while, you'll know just how to approach this person. However I still agree that you cannot be too honest- but there is something to be said about not telling someone EVERYthing there is to tell them... I have trouble with saying too much sometimes (okay, a lot of times, but who's counting?) :)

The last girl I sold on give it a try just had her first show and it was $580!! When I called to congratulate her and see what was on the horizon she blew up!! She said she was told she only had to "try" 4 shows, not do them. I clarified that trying a show and not being able to make it through without fainting would be reason to not go on. Being that her show was well above the National average she really should try to live up to her agreement and do 4 shows or $1,250.

No, you were not too honest. I am thinking the next time I get the "What happens if I don't question" I will be not try to convince them to sign. This job Rocks! We don't need to beg for business. I do need to clarify what is expected, and why trying it for 4 shows might just be what they need.

The kicker is new girl was on her way to her second job where she waits tables. I ran the numbers with her. Now she knows that she can work 6 hours and make $60-$80 or she can work 3 hours, be home with her son the other 3 hours and make $100 or more...

Ann - I understand how you are feeling!!! I feel like SO many people ARE curious about the biz - but they have some kind of a negative view of DS people - I just don't know what it is - I guess I just have to ask!

The Kit IS a deal - tell her how much it is retail! PLUS it is ONLY 4 evenings of her time to do the 4 shows - and then joke with her that she will probably be hooked on the products, meeting the people, and the money! Some people thought it was hard to get a show to qualify (I have recently realized that this is a BIG concern of a few leads) - until I told them how much a qualified show AND that LOTS of people will place an order of that amount just by themselves! I have also talked about the different options for shows to do (F/R, PB, Interactive, etc.)

You are right Ann, - bring recruiting info and offer the Host Kit Credit to her and talk to her one-on-one

BTW, I think people are/want to compared PC starter kit to the other DS starter kits - where you can use it JUST for the discount without having to ever submit a show (I know BeautiControl is like that)

Honesty is a wonderful virtue to have and I think we all have been in your shoes, Ann.

What I do when someone talks "kit napper" is explain to them that the purpose of the kit is to help them get started in a great personal business. If they want the kit products for $155, I could help them have a fantastic party so they could earn them for the same price.

Maybe I am off base, but it seems to me that she is telling you what she wants...the products. Helping her seeing how she could earn products as a host and as a consultant is educating her about our business. It is up to her to decide which avenue she chooses to get the products into her kitchen.

Congratulations on working on not prejudging. Very difficult not to do!

I agree with everyone else, you handled it properly. I had an aunt ask the same question and I told her flat out that she's obligated to have 4 shows if she buys the kit and then it's hers to keep if she doesn't want to keep doing shows. She didn't like that answer and didn't "buy" the kit!

Thanks, everyone. I know I did the right thing, it's just happened to me enough that I was starting to question it. The companies that allow people to buy a kit simply for personal use do a disservice to those "consultants," who never put in any effort and therefore never get the sense of accomplishment from owning their own business. But they also shortchange consultants who represent companies that don't have a personal use option, because potential consultants completely disregard those companies.

I will come right out and tell them that if they don't do the 4 shows, they are basically stealing from the company. This is after quite a bit of discussion as well as if I feel if they are trying to swindle into the kit without the shows.

1. How do I handle friends who want to purchase the kit without becoming a consultant?

It is important to communicate with your friends and let them know that the Pampered Chef kit is only available for purchase by consultants. However, you can offer to host a party for them where they can receive free and discounted products by inviting their friends to purchase through your consultant link.

2. Can I offer a discount to my friends who want to buy the kit?

Unfortunately, as a consultant, you are not able to offer discounts on the Pampered Chef kit. However, you can offer to host a party or event for them to receive free and discounted products from their purchases.

3. Do my friends have to sign up as a consultant in order to purchase the kit?

Yes, the Pampered Chef kit is only available for purchase by consultants. However, you can offer to host a party for them to receive free and discounted products without having to sign up as a consultant.

4. How do I explain to my friends that the kit is only for consultants?

You can simply let your friends know that the Pampered Chef kit is exclusively for consultants, but you would be more than happy to host a party or event for them to receive free and discounted products.

5. Can my friends purchase the kit through me without becoming a consultant?

No, the Pampered Chef kit is only available for purchase by consultants. However, you can offer to host a party for them to receive free and discounted products without having to purchase the kit.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pcsharon1
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Nanisu
  • ChefBeckyD
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
ChefBeckyD
  • finley1991