• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Financial Assistance for New Recruits

I don't know... like a favor? I didn't think too much of it at the time because I knew I had to pay her back and I was already struggling to afford the kit on my own. If I didn't have the money to pay her back, she didn't pressure me into it.As Beth said, it's never a good idea.
sburnside
Gold Member
I've read in some posts that consultants help new recruits by paying for a portion of their new consultant kit. How many of you really do that? Do the recruits follow through if they don't have to pay the whole amount?

I have a possible recruit who is going through some rough times financially. She's truly interested in the opportunity and has given me a lead for a lady who wanted a show before she can purchase her kit. I didn't know how much to help her because I have never done so up to this point but I know it may help get her on track financially and give her an ego boost.

What do you guys think?

I voted no, there is no way I would do that. You can give her other ideas, have a garage sale, borrow the money, anyone who owes her, etc. If she works her business she will more than likely get more than that back in her first 30 days.

It is never a good idea. Suggest ways for her to come up with the money like a yard sale, borrowing it from a relative, giving up eating out for a couple weeks...

Be sure to let her know that even at the minimum sales she will earn back $120 of her start up cost by the time she qualifies and very few only do the minimum. 4 shows at $150 sales each = $600 x 20% commission = $120. Plus she gets bonus PC$$ in that first 90 days.

As Beth said, it's never a good idea.If we give the new consultant assistance right from the get-go, it can snowball into other things. I saw this happen with a former consultant. She gave a girl her CC# to order the kit... the consultant never paid her back and then started using her CC for other things. It turned into a nightmare for her. Of course, that was an extreme case but we can see how that might happen.We have one of the lowest start-up costs in the direct selling industry. Most companies who offer their kits for less than ours do not include the paper work portion in their kits so that an additional expense that's hidden. It also shows their level of commitment... if they want to do it, they will find a way.

I wouldn't. They can earn money off the kit with hosting a show, they can get assistance elsewhere or put it on a credit card and earn it back in very short order if they're serious about it. If they're not, they could easily turn into a kitnapper on YOUR dime... I wouldn't risk it. I know I don't have money to lose on a gamble like that.

The lead's show is tonight. The possible recruit will be there and is bringing some orders with her. I know it's all my choice but what if I gave her a percentage of the commission to go towards her kit. She would still have to earn it in a roundabout way but yet would feel supported. I don't think a credit card is an option from what she's shared with me. I've had a really good month so I'm at a higher percentage this month with 2 shows still to go. My emotions are playing too much of a role here but I think some people just need a boost.

sburnside said:
My emotions are playing too much of a role here

I think you've answered your own question. The RECRUIT needs to take owner ship of her business.. not you. I know it's hard to swallow when we really want to recruit. But since you've admitted that you're already emotional about it, I'd take that feeling into some serious consideration.

Are you going to buy catalogs for her too when she needs them? What about other show supplies? You might be setting a precedent if you start her out this way....

I voted NO, if they don't have the money she need to borrow or find another way or wait until they have the money. How can you support a business if you are already financially strapped? That is just my thought, not trying to be Nelly Negative.

What do you guys think?

I vote no.

finley1991 said:
You might be setting a precedent if you start her out this way....

I agree with Colleen.

(Kudos for caring...I'd just recommend finding other ways to be supportive)

Last edited:
I didn't vote but my recruiter paid for 1/2 of my kit. It was a "promotion" that she was doing for a certain amount of time. I never expected anything else from her because it wasn't presented as "helping me out" to get started but more something she was doing to grow her team. I have offered to pay $40 of the kit for some people and they can use the kit credit for $40 so it is about 1/2 price but haven't had any takers and since then have decided if they don't have the desire to find the $$ they don't want it bad enough. If I REALLY want something there are things I can give up or do to get the money.

If you really feel compelled to help you could do as you said and offer her "commission" on the orders she brought to the show but I would be careful and only give that to her after she has paid for her kit - a reimbursement type thing - not cash up front.

In my goodie basket I have twixit clips with small colored paper clipped inside that offers $25.00 off the starter kit. That is about how much I am willing to assist them in the cost of their kit. At this point if they are using this assistance it is a prize and not a "gift". I have had 3 consultants use this. One consultant wasnt sure about signing and when she won that prize said "oh sure why not!" She is doing a great job with her biz!

I know of some consultants who have helped but didn't just hand them the money. Their recruit would come over and help her put together host packets, stamp books, and other business housekeeping tasks. In return, the consultant would pay her for her work. It was a win-win for both of them. I have offered it before to my recruits, and I would offer it again.

My recruiter/director put my kit on her credit card and then I paid her back in a month, once I got my commission check. She offered to pay for it b/c I was on maternity leave and told her I wanted to do it but I couldn't right then, so she offered. I know she was trying to quickly build a team so she really wanted me to start then. I haven't taken advantage of her or worked my business any less b/c of it. I started my business in October, have $11,000 in career sales, consistently beat her sales and work my business as much as I can. I have never expected her to buy any other supplies for me and would never ask that of her. I think that if you know and trust the person and your finances allow it, go for it. It is ultimately up to you. I understand being skeptical and I don't know that I would ever offer this to a potential recruit unless I know them well, but I just wanted to let you know that it doesn't always turn out bad. Some people just can't come up with the money.

Last edited:
I voted yes, special circumstances. I may do it again. But the one time I helped ( I paid tax on her kit) It has, as of right now, not been successful.
Patience is a virtue that I think most of us toss out the window when we may have a new recruit. It is somethin we should all work on...Myself first!
Good luck

I said no, but I would if the situation needed it...because I haven't actually recruited anybody yet. I do offer $10.00 toward the kit for anybody who wants to sign on under me. And my director offers $10.00 for any recruit too, including mine. So that's alread $20.00 they get off right away. I think it's worth it.

I voted yes special circumstances b/c I loaned my last recruit the $ for her kit. It was the last day of the knife promotion and she wanted to sign that day so she could earn her free knives. I know the girl really well. She did do her 4 shows in 30 days and she will be paying me back by the end of this month.

Now with that being said, if I didn't know this person as good as I do, I wouldn't have done it. I probably won't do it again in the future even though it worked out in my particular situation.

I said yes in special circumstances, however I only do like qualify in your first 30 days and receive $XX back on your kit. I don't do this all the time, and I point out how generous PC is for new consultants.

1. What types of financial assistance are available for new recruits?

There are several types of financial assistance available for new recruits, including signing bonuses, student loan repayment programs, housing allowances, and education benefits.

2. How can I apply for financial assistance as a new recruit?

The application process for financial assistance varies depending on the specific program. Some may require you to apply before enlisting, while others may have an application process during basic training or after completing your service. It's best to speak with a recruiter or financial advisor to determine the specific steps for the program you are interested in.

3. Are there any eligibility requirements for receiving financial assistance as a new recruit?

Each program has its own eligibility requirements, but in general, new recruits must meet certain criteria such as completing basic training, maintaining good standing in the military, and fulfilling a specific length of service. Some programs may also have academic or financial need requirements.

4. Can I receive financial assistance for my family as a new recruit?

Yes, some programs may offer financial assistance for dependents of new recruits, such as housing allowances or education benefits. However, eligibility for these benefits may vary and may require the recruit to have completed a certain amount of service or have a certain rank.

5. Are there any restrictions on using financial assistance for new recruits?

In most cases, financial assistance for new recruits must be used for its intended purpose. For example, education benefits must be used for education expenses, and housing allowances must be used for housing expenses. It's important to carefully review the terms and conditions of each program to understand any restrictions on how the assistance can be used.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• wadesgirl
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • pkd09
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
mscharf
  • PampChefDeb