• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Help Needed: Comebacks for Recovering Mary Kay Victims

In summary, the former MK consultant on my team found it difficult to recruit new people because they were afraid of having another bad experience like they had with Mary Kay. She found it helpful to be reminded of the things that hold true for consultants, such as the fact that we do not have to carry inventory and that our products are easy to sell.
pcchris
Silver Member
hi...

I need some good strong comebacks for people who have been "burned" by Mary Kay...I've had 3 strong recruiting possibilites, but all 3 said they would NEVER do direct sales again because of the money they lost doing Mary Kay. Anyone else ever have this problem?? What's a good thing to say?? I've gone through the 7 recruiting questions, etc...but I can't seem to get them to bite because they are afraid of another experience like they had with Mary Kay. ugh!!! Will you please help me? TIA!!

Mary Kay you have to have inventory. There is no inventory w/PC that is an apples to oranges comparison.

Be sure and tell them that we are not required nor encouraged to carry stock.

That is the biggest key, you have to invest so much money in inventory and place orders of a certain value every so often to get the benefits. PC is great because your products are yours.

A friend of mine's MK lady is giving her all her old makeup that is being discontinued. How sucky would that be?!

also show them this:

No Risk Business Opportunity
Okay, you sign up & do 6 shows.
6 shows @ $300* = $1800 in Sales.
This entitles you to commission & product bonus.
$500.00 New Consultant Starter Products
$414.00 Commission Check
$200.00 Pampered Chef Dollars earned
( 155.00) Less your $155 Starter Kit
$959.00 Total Product Value & Cash
Not bad, huh?
*Company average is $475 – I’m being conservative

It's part of this flyer:

Attachments

• A_BUSINESS OPPORTUNITY.doc
    1.2 MB · Views: 472
pamperedlinda said:
also show them this:

No Risk Business Opportunity
Okay, you sign up & do 6 shows.
6 shows @ $300* = $1800 in Sales.
This entitles you to commission & product bonus.
$500.00 New Consultant Starter Products
$414.00 Commission Check
$200.00 Pampered Chef Dollars earned
( 155.00) Less your $155 Starter Kit
$959.00 Total Product Value & Cash
Not bad, huh?
*Company average is $475 – I’m being conservative

It's part of this flyer:

Linda...this is excellent info, Thank you so much!:D

Technically, MK consultants don't HAVE to carry inventory, but most teams train that you should in order to give customers things immediately. The other points mentioned do hold true, though.And, yes - they're going through a major color cosmetics change that was not communicated to the consultant community until recently. Leaving many consultants with outdated products on their shelves. And customers with compacts that won't work with the new refills.

I have an MK consultant I am trying to recruit and she was excited to hear that we get a commission check deposited twice a month.

chefann said:
. And customers with compacts that won't work with the new refills.

WOW they are changing the compacts again! They just changed a few years ago.... but the smae things at least fit in them. I only have a few eyeshadows. Glad I did not upgrade before.

I have a former MK consultant on my team. It took me a year of working with her before she would sign. She had a real bad taste in her mouth from that experience.

etteluap70PC said:
WOW they are changing the compacts again! They just changed a few years ago.... but the smae things at least fit in them. I only have a few eyeshadows. Glad I did not upgrade before.
They still have some of the old eyeshadows available. But they are only selling the new compact and only foundations that fit the new compact.

It's actually pretty cool looking. I maybe having a party to get the new compact.

wadesgirl said:
They still have some of the old eyeshadows available. But they are only selling the new compact and only foundations that fit the new compact.

It's actually pretty cool looking. I maybe having a party to get the new compact.

That annoys the heck out of me. I still have my old-old (two olds ago) MK compact and I reduse to buy a new one. Now when I need new eyeshadows, I just buy the refills and use them just like that...I don't put them in a compact because I refuse to keep buying new compacts every 5 years.

Me personally - I feel you can only sell a product you are passionate about - (I love my PC stuff) and also - makeup is one of those things like Beauty Control etc that every person has their OWN personal preference - I like Beauty controls creams - Mary Kays Eye makeup remover and Avon's skin care line - I don't like any of there makeup - I use department store brand (lancome, clinque) anyway - PC is awesome because 99.99% of people have a kitchen - Our items are easy to sell because they are affordable - ranging from .75 and up -

Its a no lose situation - purchase the kit and make your investment back in 1 or 2 shows - don't like it doing it - stop - as my siggy says.... you have nothing to lose....

dannyzmom said:
That annoys the heck out of me. I still have my old-old (two olds ago) MK compact and I reduse to buy a new one. Now when I need new eyeshadows, I just buy the refills and use them just like that...I don't put them in a compact because I refuse to keep buying new compacts every 5 years.
I will only buy it when I can get it for free. My MK consultant offers $50 free when you bring 3 friends to the "facial" party.

wow - such great ideas......thank you all SOOOOOOOO very much!!

Well, coming from a former MK consultant and one of those that felt burned by it, here is my 2 cents:
First off is the huge point of not having to have inventory on hand. What you do have are products that you use at shows and then also use at home to make your own family's meals. While MK doesn't require you to carry inventory, they basically tell you that you will fail if you don't.
Second is you don't have to pay to accept credit cards, which is great since most everyone has at least a debit card.
Third is the support group that PC offers is so much better than MK, they are constantly changing the way you should do your shows or the best way to apply makeup or a new way to match color to your customer, so much less work with PC.
Fourth is that in this time of financial distress I believe that people are more likely to purchase items to enhance their experience with their families (b/c I truly believe that this is what PC products help you do) than to purchase makeup that only benefits them.
Fifth and I will make this my last is that if they do start and decide that this just isn't for them, they get to keep their starter kit and continue to use it and not worry about trying to unload unsold product!! Which, I still have MK products that I haven't sold!
I was very skeptical, as was my husband, before I started this business, but now that I've done it and found out how great it is, I'm hooked. No other company gives you such an opportunity to earn so much money and free products all while having a great time!!!
Hope this helps!:D :D :D

My bride is a MK Beauty Consultant of 7 years, and we work our businesses independently. Someone who was "burned" by MK has some other issues to resolve - no one forced them to sign up or twisted their arm to buy products they didn't intend to use/sell. And MK has a generous return policy for retiring consultants to receive some of their investment$ back upon returning saleable product, in agreement for never selling MK again. (But those of you former MK consultants know this!) More importantly, MK has an amazing heart for the inner beauty of women and improving women's lives. I'd surely bring such former consultants back to those principles which drew them to the industry to begin with, then share with them how Doris Christopher applied the soft sell, how PC tools are multifunctional, and many truly sell themselves with the four magic questions.
1. Who has one of these and loves it?
2. What else do you use it for?
3. Is it easy to clean?
4. What kind of person do you know that would benefit from one of these?

Keep on the high road - return the potential recruit to their original motivation for direct sales to begin with, and listen, listen, listen. Don't try to convince, just present your offer in an attractive way, offer, and allow them to come to you.

A former direct seller can be a tremendous success with PC - be one yourself and attract others to you!

I'm really bummed that the compact is being redesigned. I love mine and have had it for only 1.5 yrs!

Thanks Shawna and Scott - 2 very different outlooks.

however, the one recent gal that was kinda interested but not because of her experience with MK told me that her recruiter/director basically TOLD her that you need this and this and this or you will not succeed. She wound up in the red about $1,200. I don't know if she knew about the return policy or not.

I love all of your ideas. Thanks SO much!!

I used to be a consultant with Mary Kay and at the time I LOVED it. I still to this day still use all the products and have nothing bad to say about the company. I remember when I was first introduced to PC, my initial response was OMG I did Mary Kay, I don't want to get involved in anything else. Well I am sooooo glad I decided to start my PC biz. A few things I have found as reasons I am more successful at this are:

1. No inventory (OF COURSE)
2. I LOVE getting a paycheck verses pocketing the money after each sell. I never was good about doing the 60/40 split
3. Directorship is sooooo much easier to earn
4. We don't have to pay out of pocket for host benefits
5. EVERYONE EATS!!!!

Another thing I have found with this biz, is that the conferences are much more casual. Mary Kay is very professional and I hated wearing nylons and skirts all the time.

Good luck!

Ow yeah and to everyone upset about the new compacts, chances are your consultants has full stock of all the colors that fit in the old compacts. I am sure you won't have to worry about that. They won't be made of the minerals though.

I have a friend that just signed with MK, but it seems like all she does is go from house to house giving individual facials! I think she did 1 party so far & it was like 2 or 3 women. When I saw all the lip sticks, eye shadows etc....I asked her were they her starter kit & she said, no she had to buy them all!:eek: Then as we were looking everyone was opening them all up & trying them. I asked her if she was going to sell the things they just opened & she just shruged her shoulders....

Thanks Scott for a reminder of those questions to use during our shows.

Ann R.

1. How can I politely decline a Mary Kay sales pitch?

One option is to simply thank the person for their offer and let them know that you are not interested at this time. You could also mention that you have a preferred skincare or makeup brand that you are loyal to.

2. What if I already bought products from Mary Kay and regret it?

If you are unhappy with your Mary Kay products, you can try reaching out to the consultant or the company's customer service department to inquire about their return policy. You may be able to return the products for a refund or exchange.

3. How do I respond to a Mary Kay consultant who keeps pressuring me to host a party?

It's important to set boundaries and communicate your feelings clearly. You can politely decline by saying something like, "I appreciate the offer, but I am not interested in hosting a party at this time." If the consultant continues to pressure you, it's okay to be firmer and say no.

4. What are some common tactics used by Mary Kay consultants to make a sale?

Some common tactics include offering free samples, emphasizing the limited time or availability of a product, and using personal compliments or flattery. Consultants may also use high-pressure sales techniques such as making you feel guilty for not supporting a small business or implying that you are missing out on a great opportunity.

5. How can I support my friend or family member who is a Mary Kay consultant without buying products?

There are many ways to support your loved one's business without making a purchase. You can attend a virtual party, share their products on social media, refer friends and family members, or offer to help with administrative tasks or set up for in-person events. Your support and encouragement can go a long way.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Lilamyw3
  • Business, Marketing and Customer Service
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • ChefNelson
  • Pampered Chef Booths
Replies
Views
ChefNelson
Replies