• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Do I Say When Someone Balks at the Price of the Start-Up Kit?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of a young man becoming a Pampered Chef consultant. Despite initially being hesitant due to the high start-up cost, it is believed that he would excel in the business due to his passion for cooking. Ideas are suggested for encouraging him to take the risk, including showing him the earning potential and the "no risk" flyer. The conversation also mentions the success of other young consultants in the business.
pampchefsarah
Gold Member
I live in VA, and my friend in CA did a catalog show for me (barely made the required $150 minimum). She talked to her son (almost 19) about becoming a consultant, and he seemed interested. Now, normally, I would be apprehensive about signing someone so young, but I've known this boy since he was 5, and his greatest love is cooking. In fact, he's starting school soon to be a chef. So, this business would be a great fit - cooking, teaching, and working his own hours!

He did start the sign-up process online, but when it came to the point where he had to pay, and he saw the price, he backed off. I can't blame him - you and I know the price is reasonable, but he has never even been to a Cooking Show, and doesn't want to take the chance he won't quickly make the money back.

Since there was not enough sales from his mom's show to earn a Credit, and I'm not in a position to offer to pay part, or reimburse, out of my own pocket (this is based on principle more than financial reasons), I'm looking for ideas of how to encourage him to take the risk. I have suggested talking to friends and family, and getting confirmed bookings (including guest lists) for 4 shows within his first 30 days, but haven't heard back. Anyone else have any thoughts? If I didn't think he'd be an awesome consultant, I wouldn't even pursue this, but I know this would be a real blessing for him.

Thanks in advance!

Sarah

My boyfriend is a chef & he went to Johnson & Wales Culinery School & now works for the Peabody. He loves all of our products that he has tried so far. I just bought him the forged cutlery santoku knife but he hasn't taken it to work w/him yet to try. He didn't think PC was all that at first either but now he has tried the stones & cookware ect he is seeing that it was a good move for me. He even "sells" product for me to people. Not sure that will help much, but I hope it will some.

If someone balks at the price simply explain that it is a no lose situation - They are receiving over 500 in products and supplies for that start up price - they WILL earn that and then some back in their first show (well, here on LI it is there first show) The opportunity speaks for itself - if they aren't thrilled with doing it after 4 shows - well - they got their money back - earned some in return and have awesome products - BUT odds are the will love it !!

How about the "no risk" flyer? I was going to post it but it's on my other computer. I'm pretty sure I got it from here though so you could look for it in the files.

Most of the time you can earn your investment back at your first show or at least within your first 30 days. The deal is too good to pass up. $500 worth of products for $155 dollars. Somewhere on here someone may have the guest-host-consultant flyer. It shows you how much you can spend on products for each catagory. That may help him realize it is a great deal. Just with the bar pan, skillet and mandonline that's $100 right there.

I've heard of consultants telling their "reluctant" recruits that if they don't earn their initial investment back after their first 4 shows that they'll pay them the difference.

We all know that if we offer that we'd never have to pay. Between their paycheck and their PC dollars even someone with 4 $150 shows will walk away with more than they invested.

Along with all the suggestions above, how about showing him some of your commission checks to show him the earning potential?

I truly believe it is all in the coaching and creating the relationship. If you have told him what is required and he is excited but nervous about the investment it is important for him to have his first 4 shows lined up as soon as possible and as close together as possible. If he does 4 shows in say 2 weeks he will have his investment back within a month. Remember to tell him though he has to do his job and coach his hosts to invite, invite invite! If he is excited they will be as well.

Please don't be hesitant to sign young consultants! I am a 24 year old soon-to-be director and 4 of the consultants on my team are younger than me and they are doing AWESOME!

That said, I've had some issues with the price of the kit as well (in Canada, it's $195). I've found that showing one of my commission statements that is comparable to their goals (4 shows / month or 8 shows / month) really shows them how much they can expect when they are done their first month. I try to keep it consistent with what they want to do. If they only want to do 1 show per week, I'm not going to show them a cheque with 12 shows on it. I've found this shows that it's real - we're not just saying they can do it, we're showing them that it's reality.

Last edited:

1. Why is the start-up kit for Pampered Chef so expensive?

The start-up kit for Pampered Chef may seem expensive at first glance, but it includes a variety of high-quality products and resources to help you start your business successfully. It also includes exclusive training and support from experienced consultants to help you grow your business.

2. Can I customize the start-up kit and only purchase the products I want?

Unfortunately, the start-up kit is not customizable. It is carefully curated to provide you with the best products and tools to start your business. However, you can always purchase additional products later on to expand your inventory.

3. Is there a payment plan available for the start-up kit?

Yes, there is a payment plan option available for the start-up kit. This allows you to pay for the kit in installments, making it more affordable and manageable for you.

4. Can I return the start-up kit if I change my mind?

Yes, you can return the start-up kit within 30 days of purchase for a full refund. However, the kit must be in its original condition and packaging.

5. Are there any additional fees or costs associated with the start-up kit?

No, there are no additional fees or costs associated with the start-up kit. The price you pay is all-inclusive and covers the products, training, and support provided to help you start your business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pampchefsarah
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • chef_kimmo
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
chef_kimmo
  • Jessamary