• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is Joining Melaleuca Worth It? Insights from a Homeshow Consultant

In summary, the woman was asking everyone if they were interested in becoming a consultant for her Melaleuca business. A recruit from a previous home show told the caller that she had called the lady yesterday and the lady told her that she was no longer interested in becoming a consultant for Melaleuca. The caller is confused because the company does things that way--you can't order their products without signing up. The caller thinks the company is obnoxious for asking everyone and for being bold and rude.
linojackie
I just got a phone call from a lady who got my card at the homeshow I did a couple weekends back and she asked me if I was interested in becoming a consultant for her business, Melaleuca. One of my recruits that also worked the homeshow told me she called her yesterday as well. Normally, this would just irritate me (it took all I had not to be rude to her) but then I started thinking "good for her, she's asking everyone. I should be doing that too." But is this the right way to go about it, or is it barking up the wrong tree? :confused:

Like you said, she is asking everyone. I know a few girls who are consultanats for more than one company, you never know! I feeel your pain though, I have a Party Lite lady trying to get me to sign. As if! Three kids and two jobs! My head would spin!

It all depends on how she's asking. It is important to offer the information to everyone but to graciously accept it when some decline.

When you do follow up calls start with the business opportunity, then move to show, catalog show, order and referral, want a recipe?, can I put you on my email newsletter list?...

I went to an interview w/ a melaluca lady i met at a home show... she fiened interest in PC biz to get me there... she and her husband talked for an hour and a half about their business and then told me they weren't interested in mine but might place an order (that never happened). It was a waste of my time. Sorry to vent, just a bad taste in my mouth for that company!

I think that is obnoxious. Agreed, that she is asking everyone, but she coulldnt ask you straight to your face at the home show? I think it is bad taste to approach another vendor about that.... IMHO!

Did YOU give her your info b/c you were interested in her company?I have a customer that sells Lia Sophia and she placed an order with me. She lives two doors down and drops her payment in my mailbox WITH a catalog and info to do a show! I was a little surprised. She did put a note in saying in case I'm interested or whatever, but it's never even occurred to me to be SO bold with those ordering MY products! I tend to give them a catalog, but not a host packet!!On one hand, I thought...geez that's bold. On the other, I looked at the catalog and actually considered it :). But that's mostly b/c I think she's a nice person.

Melaluca does things that way. You can't order their products without signing up. Then you are required to place an order every month, and the person that signed you gets commission on what you order. I think they have good products, but I don't like how it is set up.
I think if you wanted to do something like this in your buisess you have an advantage, our customers can order our products at any time. I agree with Beth, start your calls with opportinity, then hosting and then orders.

I do not think you should be so bold in asking unless someone shows interest. I would never call someone who is direct selling something esle to ask them to sell PC unless they wanted me to.

I have the same question as Jules, did you give her your info, or did she just get it from doing the show? If you gave it to her then I say good for her, she is making a full service customer care call. If she is just cold calling and knows that you are a PC consultant then I think it's a bit bold. I think a better way to do that would be to call and see if you are interested in a show/products, and if you say yes to that then ask if you are interested in their opportunity at the show or when delivering the products.

It is a different approach but it sounds like it's a little bit of a different kind of DS company than PC. It may be the way they train their consultants to recruit people. At least she's asking and working her business. She probably figured that if you like DS's so much than you would like her business too.

I think it is BOLD and RUDE. It's one thing if you expressed interest, but she was basically COLD CALLING. How would you feel if someone opened up the phone book and did this???

I didn't show any interest in her business, and come to think of it, I don't believe that there was even a Melaleuca booth at the event. So this woman must have posed as a "shopper" and picked up a bunch of business cards with the intent on making a bunch of cold calls.

In the past I have followed up on recruit leads from these type of events with something like "I see that you have questions about the Pampered Chef business..." and they usually say "no". So this time, I went with the "you won a free cooking show" to everyone and then once we have the show booked I go into the recruiting aspect. Seems to be working better, but I would love to hear any more suggestions you might have?

I would never call someone that didn't give me thier info. I missed that part of the original post

I actually did work with Melalueca last year for a short time, loved some of the products hated the set up! You are required to buy so much product per month and all the training they give you is pushy. She was doing exactly what they tell you to do. I hated it I was spending more monthly on the required shopping then I was making and my director was constantly calling me to push for more recruits, I felt harrassed!

LBurke said:
I went to an interview w/ a melaluca lady i met at a home show... she fiened interest in PC biz to get me there... she and her husband talked for an hour and a half about their business and then told me they weren't interested in mine but might place an order (that never happened). It was a waste of my time. Sorry to vent, just a bad taste in my mouth for that company!

OMG - me too!!! She told me she wanted to join PC - could we meet for coffee - so I do - and she gets me to sign on to Melaluca (I know I should have said no) but it was a client - I told her I wouldnt be selling etc - well she books a show to be her debut show, show was to start at 7:15 - WELL by 8:15 NO ONE was there!!!:eek: :mad: - she got 2 outside orders for me - that was it -

Needless to say - she never joined but continued to call me about melaluca stuff (make sure you get in your order or they will ship automatically!) I then had to write the company to get out of it - and if not by a certain date - they still send you stuff and charge your credit card!! It ended up costing me more then it was ever worth!

Ok - vent over - :rolleyes:

When I quit doing it, I sent in my letter stating I no longer wanted to be a part of it , right Okay so I check my account a few weeks later and they charged my card! So I call them and they say they never rcvd my letter and if I will just return the box they will credit it back and to send a new letter. So I fax over a letter, email the girl I talked to the same letter and mail a new one I return the box when it arrives and three months later I was still fighting them to get my money back! I finally gave up and never got my money back!

Well I have no intention of signing up. I told her I was not interested and hung up. Besides, my friend (and recruit) signed up for it a while back and said that all their products smelled like bug spray! :eek:

I am a customer/consultant of melaleuca. My SIL signed me. Nobody pushes her and none of her people are pushy. I signed to use the products. I order my 35 points every month...one month cleaning supplies, the next personal items, the next first-aid type stuff. I have to drive 35 miles to WalMart or a big grocery store, and when I get there I always spend more money than I intended to. Melaleuca products are fabulous...my kids have allergies and the products have helped tremedously. I rarely spend over $60 a month, much less than I would have it I made the trip to town. And, I would have to buy all of these items every month if I went to town. The concentration of the melaleuca products is wonderful.

My SIL works her business by sharing how wonderful the products and company has been for her. She has a lot of people signed up...just to order products for their personal use. She is not pushy or rude, but if you put your info out there, she might pick it up and call you...because she feels she has a fabulous opportunity to for you. Isn't that what we are suppose to do? Share our wonderful opportunity? I have seen some very rude, pushy, and snobby PC consultants. There are some in every business. If your consultant continues to call after you ask her not to, then she is rude and pushy, otherwise I think she is just doing her job. Her business is not for everyone...just like not everyone would like to be a PC consultant...but how do you know if she doesn't ask you.

My sister signed up and later quit, but she had no trouble getting them to stop sending products. She sent the letter and that was it. A lot of people won't stick with it, because it is easier to run to town and get your supplies.

And, yes some of their products smell "like bug spray". that is the melaleuca oil...tea tree oil, the strongest concentrate you can get. But, most things that really work smell bad, or taste bad. Melaleuca oil can be used for cradle cap, to get rid of head lice, to heal cold sores, sore throats, and a ton of other stuff. Nearly all of their products contain the tea tree oil. My children hate the smell, but they know from using the products that if they cut their hand, they will heal faster and not have a scar. These products are natural products. They do not contain the harmful toxins that are in all the other cleaners you buy. When you walk down the cleaner isle or the laundry isle at WalMart, you smell all the toxins leaking out of the containers.

I am not familiar with Melaleuca but from reading the posts, I get reminded of a co-worker that tried to get my involved with QuikStar (I think that was the name) and before that he was affiliated with Amway. I did go to one "meeting" with him - the people were nice enough, not too pushy - but the whole thing just seemed "off" to me.

I guess it is all in the presentation or individual and how they go about getting and promoting their business.

Shawna, please see my PM.Thanks!

ARA in PA said:
I am not familiar with Melaleuca but from reading the posts, I get reminded of a co-worker that tried to get my involved with QuikStar (I think that was the name) and before that he was affiliated with Amway. I did go to one "meeting" with him - the people were nice enough, not too pushy - but the whole thing just seemed "off" to me.

I guess it is all in the presentation or individual and how they go about getting and promoting their business.
I believe that QuikStar and Amway are the same company

pamperedlinda said:
I believe that QuikStar and Amway are the same company

Yes - they are different incarnations of the same company - but it would be like pulling teeth to get one of their "IBO"'s (Independent Business Owners) to admit to that.

Don't even get me started on Amway......from here in the heart of Amway Country.

I've gotten the 'push' from Mary Kay consultants. I have one I like and there are others out there that are pushy. Of course like someone else said, each DS has the 'good' and 'bad' consultants. Oh well, as my 3year DD says "Life Happens" LOL!! :)

Mary, I sent you a pm.

Oh yes, the Amway/QuickStar program...been there and done that. My husband signed us up for that 15 years or so ago. Those people are dedicated. I had people from NY come to my house...I live in the "sticks" of SE Oklahoma. I liked their laundry and make-up products (the snacks were gross), but they kept pushing me to buy training tapes, and books, etc. that I didn't need. All of our "upline" that was close quit within 18 months.

I did a home show last year and I was talking with a lady about hosting a show. She said she would host one for me if I did one for her. She said she did "Stampin' UP" and I said it would be a pleasure to exchange shows, I do it all the time. During the course of host coaching and the actual doing of the show we both offered the business to the other, but that should be natural anyway.

I have been asked about Melaluca in the past by a host, but it was never pushed hard. I have done Avon and Creative Memories along with PC so it is not unusual to assume people wouldn't want to do more. I would have gone farther with both, but PC was my first love.

I think we should be asking everyone, but if they say no move on...too much pressure puts a bad taste in the mouth, I know from experience on both sides of that one.

Oh, and don't talk to me about Quixar/Amway, my EX and I were in both (different times so different names). It ended in Divorce. It wasn't all the company of course, but it didn't help matters. Definately a bad taste there...didn't like the products much either and the members. They claim to be family oriented and all about doing whatever it takes for your family, and yet, they suggest you spend all your time working the business, away from your family, and that they should understand that you are doing it for them. BS if you ask me.

Sorry to bring this back up, but I had a similar thing happen to me this weekend.

I was at a home business fair and was mingling with other vendors. Then this one man (kinda creepy) selling some prepaid legal items, told me that I would have better success selling his products in this economy. I was quite offended seeing how I have no problem with my successfulness (I'm very content).

He proceeded to tell me how I could even do the two together. He said "you can put a pizza in the oven and pop in a dvd about how American homes are less secure than we think." (I'm dead serious)

He kept on, and on, and on until finally another vendor told him..."enough is enough, she doesn't want to take on anymore." (BTW: the other vendor booked a party :) )

I couldn't believe it. Something is to be said about being tactful and courteous to anyone who says no to our opportunity.

geewhiz! lol

That is nuts! Seriously, those people make it hard for others to actually recruit! I am in no means pushy and I think part of that holds me back from recruiting.

Sheesh! Sorry you had to deal with that, but YAY the other vendor booked!!

my family got sucked in to Melaleuca! no way!

1. Is becoming a consultant for Melaleuca a profitable opportunity?

The profitability of becoming a Melaleuca consultant depends on several factors such as your sales skills, the demand for Melaleuca products in your area, and your ability to recruit new consultants. It is important to carefully consider the potential earnings and costs associated with joining before making a decision.

2. What are the start-up costs for joining Melaleuca as a consultant?

The start-up costs for joining Melaleuca as a consultant can vary, but there is typically a one-time enrollment fee and a monthly product purchase requirement. These costs may be offset by potential earnings from sales and recruiting new consultants.

3. Do I need to have a background in sales to be successful as a Melaleuca consultant?

While having a background in sales may be beneficial, it is not necessary to be successful as a Melaleuca consultant. Melaleuca offers training and support to help new consultants develop sales skills and build a successful business.

4. What sets Melaleuca apart from other direct sales companies?

Melaleuca stands out from other direct sales companies due to its focus on natural and environmentally-friendly products. The company also offers a unique compensation plan that allows consultants to earn residual income for ongoing customer purchases.

5. How can I effectively promote and sell Melaleuca products as a consultant?

As a consultant, you can promote Melaleuca products through in-person sales at events and parties, as well as through online marketing and social media. It is important to educate yourself about the products and their benefits and to tailor your sales approach to your target audience.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• LauriChick
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
raebates
  • byrd1956
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • PamperedK