• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Turning Layoffs into Opportunities: Recruiting Tips for Hosts Facing Job Loss

In summary, the host was waiting for a check from a past hostess to close her show. The check was late, and the host mentioned that another guest, a past hostess, was wondering where her stuff was when going to be in. The host told the other host that she had been thinking about her and that she wishes her the best of luck. The host said that she would think about it, and then didn't give the caller an email address. The caller asked for one on both of the host's shows, and the host always said no. The caller liked the idea of leaving a note, and wanted to know if he could get any more answers before the morning.
wadesgirl
Gold Member
Last week, I was waiting for a check from a host to close her show. She was supposed to send it right away but I got it a couple days late with a note explaining that she had been preoccupied due to she found out her company was closing. I took the check and closed her show and she has been on my mind since then.

I usually call my host when their order has shipped to give them a heads up but she called me tonight to see how her order was coming along. She said that another guest (a past hostess of mine) was wondering where their stuff was when going to be in. They had been talking about their jobs when the conversation switched to me so she gave me a call about her order.

I had been working with the other host/guest on recruiting and was thinking about the current host also. They both worked in the same building and are both being laid off. So tonight I told the current host that I had been thinking about her and that I wish her the best of luck. I told her that I know how she's feeling because I went through the same thing two years ago this month. Then I slipped in that she could always come join my team and make money that way.

Well, she said that she had been thinking about it since the announcment of the layoffs but was worried about the money. I filled her in with a little bit of knowledge on that end (ie: put it on a credit card and pay it off with your first couple shows when the bill comes in, borrowing money, etc). I asked her if I could send her any money with her receipts since I didn't have a chance to mail them yet. She said no but that she would think about it.

What do I do from here? I told her that I wouldn't push her but that I would be there for her. Should I slip in the new recruiting promo?

What about the past host/recruit lead? How do you call someone out of the blue and say "I'm sorry you are loosing your job..."? I personally had a consultant jump down my throat when I went to a jewelry show of my aunts. I told my aunt I couldn't buy anything because we had just found out that day our company was closing. I know it's a red flag line but I really didn't need the consultant all over me after that!

You could send her an e-mail with the new consultant promo. Otherwise, send it in the mail. Either way, write a note saying you dont want to bother her, but you want to keep her informed and that you'll call her in a few days to see what she's thinking. No obligation...all that.

JAE said:
You could send her an e-mail with the new consultant promo. Otherwise, send it in the mail. Either way, write a note saying you dont want to bother her, but you want to keep her informed and that you'll call her in a few days to see what she's thinking. No obligation...all that.
She never gave me an email address. I asked her for one on both of her shows and she always said no. I do like the idea of sticking it in there and leaving her a little note.

Just wanted to bump this to see if I could get any more answers before the morning!

I like JAE's idea. That way she has time to take a look and digest the info BEFORE she talks to you. I would also include your story about being laid off in the note to the past host. It let's her know that you really do know what she is going through and gives you the ability to explain how PC worked for you in that situation when you call her.

When you talk to her on the phone, you can always ask if it is o.k. for you to send any recruiting promotions to her when they come up. That way you have her permission to follow-up in the future.

Hey, for the general population, the response to losing a job is not starting a new business. It is finding a job. It is just how most people are raised. Funny in the free enterprise system where you can name your ticket, people settle for the last row in the back of the train. Find out if she has any dreams... Show her a game plan to get them. If she doesn't have a glimmer of a dream still holding out, perhaps you could spark some hope that she wouldn't have to ever be at the mercy of an employer again... To some people this will be liberating. When GM announced the close of the dessert proving ground where my DH works, he froze. He couldn't see another solution for a long time, but I could. Some are so stuck with an employee mentality, they may never see the beauty of what you have to offer, but that doesn't change the beauty... I agree that it is maybe a bit freaky to bring it up. You don't want to push. If she knows you sincerely care (and most people can see it right away) she will probably be open. I had my first "yes" to an interview. I said," No pressure, just wanted to see if this would fit your life and help you as much as it has helped me." If she says no, you didn't say no to your dream, she said no to hers. When in doubt, play it out... meaning, have her play it out over 10 years, will this take her to her goal? Will her job? I am so new to this business, but I know what worked to get me involved... and you know what worked for you. Best wishes. We'll be praying for you, and her!

I'll include the flyer. I usually call my hosts when their order ships so I need to call in her today or tomorrow when ever it ships. I did tell her last night that I know how she feels. I lost my job 4 months before DH and I were to be married. It was very devastating. We worked together so I think it helped to have him by my side during the announcement. He looked at me and whispered "It will be okay!". We both found new jobs right away and are still here two years later (that's a different story though, this job is the main reason for all my stress!).

wadesgirl said:
I'll include the flyer. I usually call my hosts when their order ships so I need to call in her today or tomorrow when ever it ships. I did tell her last night that I know how she feels. I lost my job 4 months before DH and I were to be married. It was very devastating. We worked together so I think it helped to have him by my side during the announcement. He looked at me and whispered "It will be okay!". We both found new jobs right away and are still here two years later (that's a different story though, this job is the main reason for all my stress!).

That is so sweet! (The bolded part)

When you said "this job is the main reason for all my stress" do you mean being a consultant or your new job?

JAE said:
That is so sweet! (The bolded part)

When you said "this job is the main reason for all my stress" do you mean being a consultant or your new job?
I love him, he's a good man!

I love PC! That's not the problem! My day time job is insane! I have a hard time finding a job in my market around here (trust me I've been looking for the last 5 years!). This job happened to open up just as my company was closing and I jumped on it and got the job out of 70 interviewees. There is so much pressure put on me at this job. It's making me someone I don't want to be and someone I don't like. I mentioned all this in another post and finally went to the doctor last week. He is strongly encouraging me to talk to someone here about these issues because it's putting my health at risk.

1. What is "theBait Is Out There..."?

"theBait Is Out There..." is a set of high-quality kitchen tools and gadgets designed by Pampered Chef to make cooking and baking easier and more enjoyable. It includes items such as silicone baking mats, non-stick cookware, and versatile kitchen shears.

2. Are the products in "theBait Is Out There..." dishwasher safe?

Yes, all of the products in "theBait Is Out There..." are dishwasher safe for easy cleaning. However, we recommend hand washing for longer product life.

3. Can I purchase individual items from "theBait Is Out There..." or do I have to buy the whole set?

You can purchase individual items from "theBait Is Out There...", as well as the entire set. We offer a variety of options to fit your specific needs and budget.

4. Are the products in "theBait Is Out There..." covered by a warranty?

Yes, all products in "theBait Is Out There..." are backed by our satisfaction guarantee. If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, you can return it for a replacement or refund.

5. Can I host a Pampered Chef party and earn discounts on "theBait Is Out There..."?

Absolutely! Hosting a Pampered Chef party is a great way to earn free and discounted products from "theBait Is Out There...". Contact your local Pampered Chef consultant to learn more and schedule a party.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • cookingwithlove
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
cookingwithlove
  • esavvymom