• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I Not Do the Why Bag, Etc?

In summary, the consultant is having a show this Saturday morning and her host is a consultant with Arbonne. The consultant does her usual presentation during the show. If the host is okay with it, the consultant may talk about Arbonne products during the show.
lakamper
I have a show this Saturday morning, and my host is a consultant with Arbonne (sp?) - it's a makeup company, I believe -

Anyway, would it be rude for me to do the why bag and spread recruiting messages throughout my demo?:angel:

No, if she didn't want you to recruit, she would have asked you not to.

do you think I should ask her if it's okay if I talk about the opportunity at her show?

No, you don't need her permission. She is in Direct Sales, she's expecting you to do your job. If she were doing an Arbonne presentation at your home would you ask her not to do her recruiting part?

I am against those why bags, anyway. I think HO is also figuring this out, with guidelines to a shorter show.

I had a Premier Designs party about a year ago. The PD gal knew almost everyone, knew I was a PC consultant, and didn't do her normal things. We just tried on jewelry, chatted, and placed orders. The PD gal had lots of time to showcase how certain pieces were versatile and could be combined or worn another way.

So, fast forward a couple months, my neighbor booked a show off mine. The PD gal did her why things, the candy bar thing...when she got into the 3rd gimmick for bookng a show, my neighbor threw up her hands and said "Now wait a minute, I didn't think it would be like this."

I've had several people book with me, because they said I was laid back.
To each their own though, if its your style, go for it.

That would be the polite thing to do. After all, if you reciprocated and did a show for her, would you want her to recruit without checking with you? I'm sure that both you and she have tried to recruit your own friends and family. Maybe each other's friends and family might find a business selling kitchen products easier to do than make-up.

well and another reason I wanted to make sure and do it, is the party is 4 hours away (where I'm from) we happen to be going down to the cities for my parents 45th wedding anniversary (Go M&D!!), and I booked this show. So it would be great to be able to recruit someone, and say - here's your bookings!!

well, that is certainly thinking ahead.

Congrats to your parents!

I just had a Premier Design party WOW! is about the only thing I could say...not to be knocking down someones door about the company and this is just my opinion so please take it as that. The rep talked more about the company and recruiting then the jewelry. I was amazed with what they make 50% right off the top. Then the hostess get 30% in Free jewelry. Plus there is add on bonus for certain things. So to me the jewelry is only a few $$ after everyone gets their cuts. B/c for recruiting you get 10% of the sales of your recruits sales. Sorry just wanted to share ...I probably hijacked this thread also. It just makes me see why PC is so great and the prices are so reasonable!

since I have to call her to get directions and head count, I think I will just mention it, who knows, perhaps she's not happy with her business and is looking for a fabulous one to start! LOL

The two companies have nothing to do with each other, so there is no reason why you shouldn't try and recruit. On another note, Arbonne is a really great skincare line. All their products are animal free and reasonably priced. They have a great baby care line as well.

I would explain that you "normally" do this during a presentation and would she be okay w/ it? You never know she may be looking for ideas for own biz.

I know when I attend shows I listen very carefully for the "do's & don't"

I really don't see anything wrong with doing your show the way you normally would. You never know who will be in your audience and who will need what (get out of cc debt, want to save for a big trip, needs to get braces for their kids, etc) and Arbonne may not be their cup of tea. I had a host who was an Arbonne rep and I did my normal thing. If we're all looking at recruiting as what we can do for THEM, then that's what I'd focus on. However, if she specifically says something about that, then talk with her and do what you feel comfortable with. I have yet to see a PC consultant who crams the opportunity down peoples' throats. Asking or inviting someone to consider it is just that....an invitation. So maybe looking at it that way would help.:eek:

If you do a why bag (now I"m doing a why "bowl" in one of the big SS bowls, which was a neat idea I got at Leadership :) - and it's only 3-5 minutes long), you're highlighting what PC means to YOU so, again, I don't see a reason to skip that if you normally do one.

And, like I said, you never know who you may "speak to" in the audience...even other DS people who may be interested in the oppty. I have a Lia Sophia rep signing next month it looks like!:D

Oooh, I am thinking about having a Lia Sophia show.
It would be interesting to see what the consultant does, too...but I like some of their jewelry.

/sorry, off topic

I think you should do your show like you always do. The recruiting "spiel" is expected at home parties, and you aren't doing your job if you don't at least mention it.
Over the years, I've occasionally hosted parties for other companies, and, to be honest, I always look forward to see how they will present bookings as well as recruiting lines. It can be very "eye-opening" to watch another demo, on many levels.
Who knows? If she isn't happy with Arbonne, she may be "secretly" checking you and your business out, too!

Best of luck!
Paula

Your recruiting at the show has nothing to do with her. Yes, we should always talk to our hosts about the business, but you can't walk away from a show full of leads!!! You would be doing them a disservice.I would go on as normal, don't even ask her about it. It will likely not be an issue. This is a PAMPERED CHEF COOKING SHOW, not an ARbonne show.

PCSarahjm said:
I just had a Premier Design party WOW! is about the only thing I could say...not to be knocking down someones door about the company and this is just my opinion so please take it as that. The rep talked more about the company and recruiting then the jewelry.

I just went to a Lia Sophia party this past weekend, and it was the same thing. The consultant introduced herself, and went right into a recruiting game where you ask questions to get a card and the one with the most cards gets a prize. Some of us had never been to a show, and were curious about the products, but she refused to answer our questions. She said, "Sorry, that's not about the business. Don't ask about the products, you have to ask about me." All but two of the guests were consultants for other companies, and weren't interested, so we just sat there. It was awkward. So then, she finished the game, handed out catalogs, and went and sat down, saying to come see her when our orders were ready. I was sort of shocked. Never once did she tell us anything about her products, even though she had asked at the beginning who was familiar with the company and several of us weren't. I wasn't impressed.

Anyways, sorry for the hijack. For the original poster, I don't see anything wrong with doing your recruiting spiel as normal. Arbonne and PC are very different, and I agree that if she had a problem with you recruiting at her show, she would have said something.

Heh. I would have interrupted her, if it was my house.

I really think we PC gals need to band together and stop this sort of nonsense. If you think about it.....

PWS emails only say something about having a fun get-together, trying a great new recipe, and catching up.

Now in strolls a 45-minute recruiting commercial at another direct sales party. Well, who wants to have a PC party after that?

I am going to a PARTY this Saturday night, not necessarily a show. I am in this business to have fun, and I love talking to the guests. I recruited 2 people by accident.

This push to recruit, recruit, recruit at all costs is a mistake by HO, I think.

I'm not stupid - this is a modified Ponzi scheme - I know that's where the real money kicks in, but I think the focus should be on fun & food.

well thanks for all your advice and input! I think I'm going to go ahead and try the why bag as planned - like I said, it would be a GREAT opportunity for someone interested in the business, for me to hand her the bookings from the show since I can't make it to the cities as often as I would like. I can even say something like "I'm looking for someone in this area to take over shows for me since I can't make it down so often" or something to that effect -

I will post on Saturday after the show and let you know how it goes!

I hope it goes well for you since you are driving a long way.

I definately think you should talk about the opportunity. You don't have to beat them over the head, just tell them why you love PC and how it is helped you. When I have a DS party I always expect them to talk about their business. None of my friends are into the cooking thing, but they might be good at Arbonne, Home Interior, or Lea Sophia. Everyone is different. I wouldn't be offended by a friend signing up to do those things. I would be offended if they signed up to do PC with someone else. I have never had anyone do a "why" bag that took more than 3 minutes. Everyone should be able to listen politely for a few minutes.

As for the "ask me" game I would have just asked questions about her business. Whether you are interested or not, someone might be but think they can't do it. I am always curious about their business anyway. I want to know how it compares to PC...it just reinforces that we work for an awesome company.

Just a note, a lot of other DS companies make the consultant pay for the host free and discounted products - Premier Designs is that way, so they really don't get 50%.

Shawnna said:
As for the "ask me" game I would have just asked questions about her business. Whether you are interested or not, someone might be but think they can't do it. I am always curious about their business anyway. I want to know how it compares to PC...it just reinforces that we work for an awesome company.

I started to, but two of my past hosts were there, and kept asking me about PC, and if that was how PC did things, and I was embarassed, so I stopped. I didn't want to seem like I was trying to recruit or push my business at her show. Although I completely agree with you, I think we can learn from all of the different DS companies out there, and its always good to know how we compare.

I am sorry your party didn't go like you wanted it to. Sometimes it can't be helped.

I have a friend who sells Home And Garden Party. They have stoneware too. I love their Bean Pots. I have lots of parties for my friend and she will always talk about the different items in her catalog...pictures, jewelry, lotions and candles, and then she moves to stoneware. She will always say "I know Shawnna sells PC and they have great stoneware, so I won't go into a lot of detail". I laugh and tell her not to worry about that. But, she always discusses her business and how much she enjoys it. I have thought many times that I should sign under her just to get the discount on all the stuff I buy from her...LOL I always buy the new cowboy picture that comes out in every catalog and I love the jewelry too.

PCSarahjm said:
I just had a Premier Design party WOW! is about the only thing I could say...not to be knocking down someones door about the company and this is just my opinion so please take it as that. The rep talked more about the company and recruiting then the jewelry. I was amazed with what they make 50% right off the top. Then the hostess get 30% in Free jewelry. Plus there is add on bonus for certain things. So to me the jewelry is only a few $$ after everyone gets their cuts. B/c for recruiting you get 10% of the sales of your recruits sales. Sorry just wanted to share ...I probably hijacked this thread also. It just makes me see why PC is so great and the prices are so reasonable!
I won't ever do a PD show again!
I hosted one several years ago and was someone's 1st host when they started their business.
I was broke at the time and couldn't really spend any money. Well, I got lots of "FREE" stuff or so they said. I was so disappointed that I had to pay taxes on all of that FREE stuff. Was ridiculous!!!

Glad to hear you will still do your recruiting talk. You wouldn't be doing your "job" if you didn't. What if you had someone in the group that wanted to sign but you didn't talk about it???

My aunt sells PD, while they make 50%, they pay for part of the host specials, have to pay for cc charges, etc. And your free stuff for hosting a show isn't always free, you do pay tax and shipping on your orders. And their business to start is over $1000 just to get a good group of jewelry and over $400 each year to stay in the business! I thought about selling it but the start up cost and keep up cost was too much for me! Plus, I don't wear jewelry that much but everyone cooks!

have to pay for cc charges, etc. And your free stuff for hosting a show isn't always free, you do pay tax and shipping on your orders.

Yeah, PC is great on that point. I am SO glad I don't have to pay CC fees, can you imagine the mess? Taxes are a given, and I think the no-fee ship for hosts is super!

daniellemorgan said:
All their products are animal free and reasonably priced.

LMAO where do you live, because I live in a very expensive state called California, and I've gone under the knife, and live a very posh life and I think their products are expensive! I found the body shop at home to be 1/2 the price of Rbon, for the same quality of products.

JMO

:D

kspry said:
Yeah, PC is great on that point. I am SO glad I don't have to pay CC fees, can you imagine the mess? Taxes are a given, and I think the no-fee ship for hosts is super!

Yah but you pay taxes on your free stuff so your free stuff isn't technically free.:thumbdown:

wadesgirl said:
Yah but you pay taxes on your free stuff so your free stuff isn't technically free.:thumbdown:

Kansas (where I live) doesn't have system in place to collect internet taxes... other states like Florida, are more internet savvy... look at the people complaining on iTunes about FL tax. It's not 99 cents for them, it's 1.10

daniellemorgan said:
The two companies have nothing to do with each other, so there is no reason why you shouldn't try and recruit.

On another note, Arbonne is a really great skincare line. All their products are animal free and reasonably priced. They have a great baby care line as well.
I love Arbonne products and have used them for several years! My skin has never looked or felt better. My Arbonne consultant has been trying to recruit me too. But as much as I like their products I'm just a consumer for them (I have referred several people to her though). My passion is here with PC!

wadesgirl said:
That's the case for any direct-sales company. You can also write off the value of your free items as an expense if you use them for demos, so it ends up a wash ($100 income for earning them free - $100 expense as a demo tool = $0)

1. Should I not do the Why Bag, Etc?

The decision to do the Why Bag or not ultimately depends on your personal preference and the type of audience you will be presenting to. Some consultants find it helpful to use the Why Bag as a way to engage their audience and showcase the benefits of the products. However, if you feel that the Why Bag may not be a good fit for your show, it is okay to skip it.

2. I have a show this Saturday morning, and my host is a consultant with Arbonne - is it okay to do the Why Bag?

If your host is a consultant with a competing company, it may be best to avoid using the Why Bag. This can be seen as disrespectful to your host and their business. Instead, focus on showcasing the unique features and benefits of your Pampered Chef products during the demonstration.

3. Is it rude to spread recruiting messages throughout my demo?

It is generally not recommended to spread recruiting messages during your demonstration, as it may make your guests feel uncomfortable or pressured. Your main focus should be on showcasing the products and their benefits, rather than recruiting new team members.

4. Can I mention my own experience with Pampered Chef during the demo?

It is okay to briefly mention your own personal experience with Pampered Chef and how it has benefited you, but be careful not to turn the demo into a sales pitch for potential recruits. Keep the focus on the products and their benefits.

5. How can I balance promoting Pampered Chef and respecting my host's business?

The key is to always be respectful and considerate of your host's business. Focus on showcasing the unique features and benefits of Pampered Chef products and avoid directly promoting your business or recruiting during the demonstration. If your host expresses interest in learning more about Pampered Chef, you can offer to follow up with them after the show.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Jennie_becca
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • queenjean
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
queenjean
  • ChefJones