• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Please Help With Recruiting!!!

approach because I don't feel pushy saying it...it's just my style, very conversational and not scripted (even though it is!).
heat123
Silver Member
Ok after 2 years and 2 signed(first was a kitnapper, 2nd is slowly starting off with her 2nd show to close) and a 3rd signing by spring, (all by pure luck):rolleyes:. I want to start trying to actively recruit and see if I can maintain my FD status or even reacch Director!?! First and fore most, by offering it to all my hosts this year and also all of my guests!

For all of you Hot Rollers out there or veterans, what verbiage do you use or how do you ask them straight out but not seeming pushy? Hosts and then guests?

Any tips and suggestions would be Greatly appreciated!!!:D TIA!

at one of my workshops the presenter said that she is very laid back and will often ask them, "so are you going to sign up or what?" Not sure it would work for everyone, definitely think you would've had have done some awesome host coaching and developed a connection, but like she said, don't make it a big deal, just ask!

I think that a lot of consultants think that recruiting is a one-shot score. It's not like that! For hosts, we need to touch on the biz opp in every (all 3) host coaching calls and then again at the show. For guests, offer it to them during the demo, and then at check out ask if they would like info and then follow up with them. It's a process, not just a one-time deal. Does that make sense?I heard once (years ago so this info might be dated) that the average consultant thinks about doing PC for about 9 months before she signs. Some take more time, some take less. The thing is, when you meet someone, you don't know where they are... some might have been thinking about it for a while and say, "Yes, I'm ready!" and others might just be starting to think about it. You just never know. I met a woman at a show for the first time and signed her the next day. I asked a host 3 years in a row at her show if she would like to sign and she finally did. It took three years of me asking her AND keeping in touch with her. Develop your leads and keep following up no matter what. We can never know when someone's life will change and they need our opportunity.On Consultant's Corner there is a great mp3 from Duska Mills about the process of recruiting. Listen to it! It's got a ton of great info in it!

good points Colleen! I was just coming back to say basically the same thing: Don't be looking to sign them at the show, occasionally it will happen, but it is the follow up where most eventually sign. Takes a lot of pressure off and you start realizing that leads truly are everywhere. Once I wrapped my mind around getting off the "signing" part and on the "finding" part, my list of leads increased!

Thanks for some great tips and reminders Amy & Colleen!

ask everyone, keep asking, listen more, and speak from the heart! There is no magic verbiage here. We have to know what our leads are looking for (that's where the listening comes in) and offer our biz as part of the solution to whatever issue they are having.It's pretty easy when you think about it!

I heard a good one on a training CD..."This may be the farthest thing from your mind, but have you ever thought about doing something like this?" And then see where it goes from there. If they say "No" they may just be saying they've never thought about it, so make sure you direct them to the information you've put in their packet and promise to talk again at the next call.

I liked this approach because I don't feel pushy saying it...it's just my style, very conversational and not scripted (even though it is!).

HTH

Thanks for the tips ladies! Keep 'em coming!
I'll have to check out that recording that Duska did; I was inspired when she talked at conference last year--I was so glad that she was at the same wave as me.

Chefstover2 said:
I heard a good one on a training CD..."This may be the farthest thing from your mind, but have you ever thought about doing something like this?" And then see where it goes from there. If they say "No" they may just be saying they've never thought about it, so make sure you direct them to the information you've put in their packet and promise to talk again at the next call.

I liked this approach because I don't feel pushy saying it...it's just my style, very conversational and not scripted (even though it is!).

HTH
Oh, I like this one! Thanks for sharing ladies and definitely keep them coming, like Lacy said!:)

Chefstover2 said:

HTH

That is a good CD - it's one where there is a panel of top recruiters, and Don Funt moderates the panel. It's Jana Washatka (sp?) from Alaska who uses that wording - and she is great on the whole CD.

The number one thing that I"ve heard from ALL of the top recruiters is to ask EVERYONE. While checking out each guest, ask them if they had fun and if they've ever thought about doing what you do. AND looking for leads outside of shows.

I do have to say that when I decided I wanted to focus on recruiting more, I just had to have it in the front of my mind MUCH MORE than I used to. Once you consciously focus on it more, you'll be more aware of who to ask. Definitely ask all your hosts. Put the recruiting DVD in every host packet and talk about it. One suggestion I heard at Leadership was to send the host a little recruiting packet about a week after she gets the host packet. That way it doesn't get lost in the mix of the host packet. She sends the recruiting DVD, the Your Life Your Way flyer and maybe one of those flyers with the bullet points/benefits of the business. She asks her host to watch the DVD before the show and try to picture herself wearing the apron.

I just listened to 1/2 of the Jillian Eisenberg "Getting to Yes" conference workshop CD. It was suggested to listen to every cd that's out there on recruiting and taking the recruiting "classes" through the online training center. If you can't quite build up your courage yet to ask everyone, start with taking the classes and use the suggestions that you're comfortable with. I tell you, when you start focusing on it more, it WILL happen. You'll get more recruit leads and get more experience doing recruiting interviews. It definitely gets easier once you make a conscious effort and trying things out.:) :) Chances are, you'll need to step outside of your comfort zone but think of it as a personal challenge to yourself. You can do it!!!:)

Oh and next time a Step Up to Director class is offered, DEFINITELY do it. If nothing else, you start to hear the same things over and over, but it will eventually sink in. It will also help you set clear recruiting goals, which is essential. I think we'll be doing another Step Up class via conference calls in the near future for our clusters.

Go for it, Heather!! I know you can do it!!! You may get another kitnapper or two, (I've had two in the last year), but I'm positive you'll have many other recruits and leads to make up for those.

Thanks Becky, I think I will start by investing in all of the recruiting tapes! Then go from there: from Hosts, to guests and eventually to everyone ;).

Anyone have a flyer for the new recruiting promotion with the forged cutlery? Thanks

Never mind - I actually found the one on CC - I have a lead!!! Yeah!!!

Just remember--paper doesn't recruit people--YOU DO!

heat123 said:
Thanks Becky, I think I will start by investing in all of the recruiting tapes! Then go from there: from Hosts, to guests and eventually to everyone ;).
Maybe do the ones on the online training center first....those are free!:D

one of the directors in my cluster came as a guest speaker on bookings at our last cluster meeting and we talked a little about recruiting when MY director announced her new incentives for this year. The guest speaker (she might be on here, if so she knows who she is :) ) said that she mentions it as part of the host benefits when she talks about them, because the kit credit IS a host benefit. And I hadn't really thought about it that way before and I feel like it kind of keeps you from feeling like you are pushing the opportunity on your host if you are offering it to her as one of her host benefits just like offering her the opportunity to buy something at 60% off or 50% off. Etc.

chefShelby said:
one of the directors in my cluster came as a guest speaker on bookings at our last cluster meeting and we talked a little about recruiting when MY director announced her new incentives for this year. The guest speaker (she might be on here, if so she knows who she is :) ) said that she mentions it as part of the host benefits when she talks about them, because the kit credit IS a host benefit. And I hadn't really thought about it that way before and I feel like it kind of keeps you from feeling like you are pushing the opportunity on your host if you are offering it to her as one of her host benefits just like offering her the opportunity to buy something at 60% off or 50% off. Etc.
That's a good point, thanks for sharing!
All of these suggestions and tips are helping me change my perception of recruiting! Thanks everyone!:)

This is my focus right now. In my coaching call last week, I got two good suggestions. Do you give out a door prize? Most of us do. Attach recruiting info. to it. Also, put your personal story on the flip side of the instruction sheet in your hostess packet.

Make a commitment to ask EVERYONE as they check out. I will even tell my guests, "If I don't ask you, you get a prize". They hold me accountable!

I am focusing on recuriting this year.. it's never been one of my strong points. I have had people as me about the biz and I talk to them about it. But it doesn't come across right I don't think.... I end up telling them too much or not enough.

How do you talk to your host about the opportunity? Along wtih guest>?

I am focusing on recuriting this year.. it's never been one of my strong points. I have had people as me about the biz and I talk to them about it. But it doesn't come across right I don't think.... I end up telling them too much or not enough.

How do you talk to your host about the opportunity? Along wtih guest during shows?
how do you talk to people at fairs about the biz? I have two fairs coming up one a Woman's fair and the other a bridal fair!

I will take any suggestions at this point in time.....

How do you talk to your host about the opportunity? Along wtih guest>?[/QUOTE]

I took the step up to director class with my director and one point was in your host coaching call 3 - say something like " I know this might be the furthest thing from your mind right now but did you ever consider doing this? I want you to know that I am going to be inviting all of your guest to join my team, but really wanted to ask you first" then listen to what they say and take it from there - Especially if a host is great at getting outside orders - "you should be doing this... You already sold (blank) in product!!"

I too am focusing on recruiting this year - I played the ticket game last night at my show and got 1 lead - follow up is Monday!!:sing:

How do you play the ticket game?

Basically what I do is at the end of the show, when passing out the door prize and going over it when it comes to checking off part I tell them that at this point I am going to play a little game and at the end someone will win a prize. I then tell them for every question about my PC job they ask they will get a ticket - the one with the most tickets will win a prize - (with the come join us brochure!) You can also take all the tickets and place them in a coffee and more and pick one out (after they all put their name on it of course!) It helps answer any questions someone might have AND gives you the insight to who just might be interested and is afraid to ask! It amazing what they will do for a prize!! LOL!

Not that I've recruited anyone, but how I was recruited was that my wifey went to a PC show, and the consultant asked if anyone knew anyone (not necesarily themselves) who would like a flexible job and would like doing this. My wife doesn't like being in front of people, so she won't do it, but phrasing it that way made her realize that it was perfect for me, a people person who loves to cook!

great feedback sal....i like that wording!

finley1991 said:
I heard once (years ago so this info might be dated) that the average consultant thinks about doing PC for about 9 months before she signs. Some take more time, some take less.

That's an interesting statistic. I went to my first PC show in November of 2005 and signed in July of 2006, eight months later. Kind of ironic.

I recruited and qualified 19 last year. I tell them that I'm having a lot of fun with my business, who would have thought... someone who was absolutely lost in the kitchen would be successful with a business that involved cooking. (I find that more than 1/2 of my guests hate cooking or wish they could cook when I survey them at the beginning- so this comment puts them at ease as they feel the same.) Then I tell them what my goals are (being a stay home mom with my 10 and 11 year old AND GROWING A SUCCESSFUL TEAM.) I talk about how fun my meetings are and how we learn simple recipes where everyone looks like a pro in the kitchen. I tell them MANY will join, some just to try it out others will love it as a career, "I would love for you to give it a try and join my team, you will never regret it even if you find later that it wasn't for you.... but you may regret not giving it a try."

I like your wording Addie!

First of all thank you for starting this thread. This just what I needed to read. I have a goal to recruit a minimum of 10 consultants and getting them qualified.Keep the ideas coming.

Addie4TLC said:
I recruited and qualified 19 last year. I tell them that I'm having a lot of fun with my business, who would have thought... someone who was absolutely lost in the kitchen would be successful with a business that involved cooking. (I find that more than 1/2 of my guests hate cooking or wish they could cook when I survey them at the beginning- so this comment puts them at ease as they feel the same.) Then I tell them what my goals are (being a stay home mom with my 10 and 11 year old AND GROWING A SUCCESSFUL TEAM.) I talk about how fun my meetings are and how we learn simple recipes where everyone looks like a pro in the kitchen. I tell them MANY will join, some just to try it out others will love it as a career, "I would love for you to give it a try and join my team, you will never regret it even if you find later that it wasn't for you.... but you may regret not giving it a try."
Lightbulb moment!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!:angel:

Addie4TLC said:
I love your story, it comes from the heart! No wonder you signed 19 last year~ Good job!

amy07 said:
Lightbulb moment!!! Thank you thank you thank you!!!:angel:
Glad I could help. :) At one of my shows last month I recruited the host telling them that and a guest also wanted to try it out. She went under the host, but that's okay too! :)

Addie4TLC said:
Glad I could help. :) At one of my shows last month I recruited the host telling them that and a guest also wanted to try it out. She went under the host, but that's okay too! :)

You are a recruiting MACHINE!!! Your team must be getting quite large!! Great job! :chef:

I don't remember who said it here on CS, but I loved that someone here once said, "You don't have to marry PC, you just have to go on 4 dates with it to see if you are compatable."

I never thought of it that way!!!! But that is a good way to look at it Ellen!!!

Christ Follower said:
I don't remember who said it here on Chef Success, but I loved that someone here once said, "You don't have to marry PC, you just have to go on 4 dates with it to see if you are compatable."

Exactly, that's the idea you want to convey to people. Hopefully they start for the dates then they get engaged! LOL

Christ Follower said:
I don't remember who said it here on Chef Success, but I loved that someone here once said, "You don't have to marry PC, you just have to go on 4 dates with it to see if you are compatable."
That is soo cute! Never heard that one!

Christ Follower said:

Ooh, I'm going to use that line at my show tomorrow. I have at least 2 potential recruits that are going to be there. Maybe I can get a bunch of them to try this out together. I have to get myself to a more optimistic place than I have been lately!

ChefBeckyD said:
That is a good CD - it's one where there is a panel of top recruiters, and Don Funt moderates the panel. It's Jana Washatka (sp?) from Alaska who uses that wording - and she is great on the whole CD.
Do you have this CD, Becky? I have Double Digit Recruiting from Nat. Conf '06. That's not it, is it? I'll listen again today, because I'm snowed in for now.

I do have that CD....I also have the one you have - with Jillian Eisenberg? That one is good too - but I really like the one with the panel, and Don Funt moderating - I don't think it's on the new supply order.

Well, I should have looked at this yesterday to borrow it from you! I could try to give it back much sooner than I've given back the Belinda pack you let me borrow! :)

JAE said:
Well, I should have looked at this yesterday to borrow it from you! I could try to give it back much sooner than I've given back the Belinda pack you let me borrow! :)

Maybe I'll trade you the Belinda for a Don & Jana!:)

Are you coming to the recipe trial meeting on the 11th? I just picked the new chocolate cake to bring....Jen hasn't sent an email about it because she is down sick (same thing I had!) but just email her and let her know what you want to make.

Hey I didn't know you ladies were cluster mates! cool!

heat123 said:
Hey I didn't know you ladies were cluster mates! cool!

Well, technically, we aren't.:) We share the same SD.....but we didn't know each other til we met on here....and then I found out JAE only lives a couple blocks from my mom.....

Her cluster isn't very active, so my cluster has adopted her - she knows she is welcome to come to any of our meetings anytime! She is now one of us!

ChefBeckyD said:
Well, technically, we aren't.:) We share the same SD.....but we didn't know each other til we met on here....and then I found out JAE only lives a couple blocks from my mom.....

Her cluster isn't very active, so my cluster has adopted her - she knows she is welcome to come to any of our meetings anytime! She is now one of us!
Awe, that is soo cool! I'd love to meet you too Becky! Jill and I met at Confrence last year and were roommates!

a good openerI didn't read through all the posts on this thread, so I apologize if someone already suggested this!

When you discuss our business as part of your demonstration, here's a great way to begin...

"This may not be for anyone here right now, but I just have to tell you about the wonderful experience I've had with PC..."

By "letting people off the hook", they're more open to listening to what you have to say, and you've taken yourself off the "oh, she's just being pushy" list.

Also, you can play the "ask me about my job" game - set the timer for 5 minutes, every time someone asks a question about PC they get a hershey's kiss, the person with the most kisses wins a prize.

Have a great day!

thanks wickednoodle that's a good opener!

The talk I listened to, the awesome recruiter (director or above, not sure how far above) said she sets her timer for 2.5 minutes. I haven't had a show since I listened. I'm hoping to do this next show and the next and next, etc.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • mrssyvo
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
PCJenni
  • Tropicalburstqt2