• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Uggghhhhh....lost Another Recruit to Partylite

In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of losing potential recruits to PartyLite due to their no start up fee policy and higher commission rates. The speaker seeks advice on how to handle this situation and wonders if there are any hidden fees or downsides to joining PartyLite. Other consultants share their experiences and offer suggestions for approaching potential recruits in the future.
dianevill
Gold Member
I just lost my 3rd potential recruit (they were all within the last 6 months). All 3 of them went with PartyLite (one has since quit when she couldn't get any shows booked). All three gave the exact same reason - PartyLite has NO start up fee, and money was an issue for all three. The last one told me this morning that she's getting $800 in product to "start" (she had an $800 show - she said that she got the dollar amount in product equal to what her show total was). I don't know what to say to her, when money's such an issue (not that it really matters - she already signed, but for future reference). Also, it's my understanding that their commission STARTS at 25%, and they get a 7% bonus when they hit a certain level (not sure what that level is).

Are there any words of advice? The PL consultant, who is a friend of mine, is pretty elusive. She won't tell me much because I'm not signing. She just keeps saying, "The kit is free." Are there any PL consultants out there who can shed some light on their recruiting program? Are there "hidden fees"? I would never slam PL (or any DSC) to a potential recruit, but if I had a little more knowledge maybe I could not just stand there with my jaw hangin' down to the ground.

I'm pretty bummed right now.:cry:

Thanks for listening.

I am friends with a PL consultant *someone whom I''ve met thru doing events. I will ask her when I speak to her.

Maybe someone else has some insight.

I had a friend who did PL for a little while... less than a year. I can ask her what made her quit but if memory serves (and sometimes it does) I think she was having trouble getting bookings. I also met a PL consultant at one of my first PC parties and she was actually considering getting out of it. She was tired of having to buy so much materials for her shows and not getting much from it, plus her director was VERY high pressure about how many shows she did and how she conducted her business. I tried talking her into PC and she took initial information and I've made other contact to her but so far, nadda...

I know that Partylite consultants have to do $500 a month to stay active. That is way more than we have to do with Pampered Chef. Plus, they dont get half as much in their kit as we get in ours. And its not like they got the kit for free really. I mean, they still have to have a show and earn it.

And 25% of $0 is still nothing! Let her try it, give her your best wishes and let her know that if she decides to try PC later that you are here for her.

Don't loose heart about those possible recruits.

Really.

They may become disenchanted with their choice faster than you might think and more open to the PC program and benefits. Also might be turned off direct sales for a while after that (happened to me :yuck: )

I'd follow up with them in the new year, invite them to PC shows, etc.

CookingwithMary said:
They may become disenchanted with their choice faster than you might think and more open to the PC program and benefits. Also might be turned off direct sales for a while after that (happened to me :yuck: )QUOTE]

THAT is my fear, and is what happened with potential #1.

jewls243 said:
I know that Partylite consultants have to do $500 a month to stay active. That is way more than we have to do with Pampered Chef. Plus, they dont get half as much in their kit as we get in ours. And its not like they got the kit for free really. I mean, they still have to have a show and earn it.

I used to sell PartyLite and unless it has changed in the last couple years, I don't think you need $500 a month. I thought it was a good company to work for but I just couldn't get the bookings. It was hard to be passionate about candles...I liked them, but PC is much easier to sell and to get bookings! I liked the company, but just couldn't justify the high prices for candle holders, etc.

Someone needs to do some sneaking calling... call a rep and pretend interested and get the startup info

When I was looking into starting up my business, I considered PL. From the outside looking in, it looked easier. No preprep...just show up, set up your candles, light them and take orders! But, once I really prayed about it and what would be my best choice, PC kept coming up. PC is something that, even during slower economic times, someone can feel OK with buying. It is a product that can be used almost daily, and will not be consumed.

Sounds like PL gives them the kit upfront and they "earn it" with their first shows? Perhaps that's where they are saying "free" Still, you have to be able to get bookings and sales in order for your business to thrive. I would just keep doing what you are...inform them as much as you can, and then allow them to make their own choice. I know it's hard, since we love PC and know what a great company it is, but not everyone feels the same way we do. They need to choose the company that speaks to their heart. If they are going to listen more to their "head" and look only at the upfront costs, they probably won't be in business too long no matter where they go.

The saying just popped into my head:

Some will.
Some won't.
So what?
Who's next!

cmdtrgd said:
And 25% of $0 is still nothing! Let her try it, give her your best wishes and let her know that if she decides to try PC later that you are here for her.

Exactly!!

I recently did a PL show, and the consultant was pushy to the point of rudeness on the fact that my show HAD to reach a certain level "to justify her time". Now, mind you we agreed to a show swap and she cancelled BY EMAIL the day before her show. I still upheld my obligation to her, but I would never recommend her. I'm thinking she was under pressure to perform at a certain level - something I have NEVER felt from PC - maybe from myself but NEVER PC! Sorry for the hijack!

I'm currently doing a Partylite catalog show and while my consultant is great and not pushy, it's just not attracting the interest I thought it would. I REALLY want the December host special, so that's why I'm giving it a try. We'll see what happens. The only reason I'm getting some orders is because I suggested people use them as teacher gifts. Otherwise some wouldn't have even ordered. We'll see what happens.....at least I don't have a rude consultant!:)

My sister was a PL consultant several years ago, and one of the things she didn't like was that she was required to have 6 shows in her first 3 or 4 weeks. Now, we all know that doing that is a great way to start, but they wouldn't even take her contract without 6 concrete dates in that period.Sorry, I don't know anything else about their program.

How about this - this is just an idea - don't jump all over me if it's against some policy, just let me know.

If you have a potential who really wants to start, but doesn't have the money, have her host a show first. Make an aggreement that you'll buy her kit, if she gives you the host benifits that she earns from the show. It would have to be at least an $800 show, or she/he would have to make up the difference in cash (benifit earned vs. $155 kit cost).

Does that make sence? Wouldn't that benifit everyone?

I have offered to match the $40 kit credit before so they will get $80 off of the kit - I don't know how much I'm really out when you consider the commission from their show. I don't do it all the time and haven't had any takers yet but it is an option also... the kit at 1/2 price isn't a bad deal.

Personally, even if it is legal to do, I wouldn't want to start that trend. I just did a rare vending party with TS and PL. You are correct in the fact that if you do a (I think $300) party, you can get your kit for free.

If these ladies are looking for a free kit, that is wonderful. They have found it. As Kelly said, if they really search their souls, the free kit maybe the most attractive feature. Their products are very pretty, but for me personally, I do not burn candles that often and I think their products are priced way beyond my budget (and I am not a tight wad).

They may be looking for what they feel is "easy" money...just have parties and this is what you could earn. All well and good, but I have yet to find may (if any) people that are dying to see a PL catalog. Could I be prejudice? Yes! I see the value in PC products. I see the usefulness and I have the passion for the products. I look forward to seeing what they are going to do next. If they have that passion for PL products then that is where they should be. Sounds to me like they want the free kit.

Kelly put it best.
Some will.
Some won't.
So what?
Who's next?:chef:

Question about TSSorry to hijack the thread but I didn't want to start a whole new thread when this is kind of along the same lines of what I wanted to know.

There is a lady in town who wants to start selling Tastefully simple foods. It's food right? I'm not even sure, we spoke pretty briefly and not with much detail. She wanted to know if I wanted to have some shows with her to show my PC stuff and her TS stuff. I thought I read a while back about someone doing this and that it was successful. Since food and Pc products go together. I guess also using PC stuff to make their recipes.

Tell me what you think. Has anyone done this who can give me advice? I would love to get my business back up to where it used to be. It has been slow for me this year. Maybe her contacts can become some PC customers for me too.

Debbie :D

DebbieSAChef said:
Sorry to hijack the thread but I didn't want to start a whole new thread when this is kind of along the same lines of what I wanted to know.

There is a lady in town who wants to start selling Tastefully simple foods. It's food right? I'm not even sure, we spoke pretty briefly and not with much detail. She wanted to know if I wanted to have some shows with her to show my PC stuff and her TS stuff. I thought I read a while back about someone doing this and that it was successful. Since food and Pc products go together. I guess also using PC stuff to make their recipes.

Tell me what you think. Has anyone done this who can give me advice? I would love to get my business back up to where it used to be. It has been slow for me this year. Maybe her contacts can become some PC customers for me too.

Debbie :D

Tastefully Simple is a line of foods such as mixes, seasonings, salsas and sauces. To prepare the mixes, it does not take more than 2 ingredients to complete the recipe. I have a friend that sells it and it is good. She does good at it. I have sold her and a few other TS consultants lots of Pampered Chef items. In fact, their symbol is the leaf...let her know about our leaf napkin ring holders on the outlet right now!!
TS has some restrictions about selling with companies with similar products and they consider PC similar to TS...but barring the pantry items, it is not.

I just had a PartyLite show, and I am working really hard to get to $250, the minimum for a show! I think PC sales are better.

jenniferknapp said:
I just had a PartyLite show, and I am working really hard to get to $250, the minimum for a show! I think PC sales are better.
Hi Jen how are you! Hope all is well!

And I too believe PC's sale average is higher than most! I had a CTMH party that only reached $125 (min for a show) and $350 for a passion party (their min)!:eek:

PC Rocks!:chef: :love: :chef:

dianevill said:
The last one told me this morning that she's getting $800 in product to "start" (she had an $800 show - she said that she got the dollar amount in product equal to what her show total was).

Wow!! Really?? Man that's a crap load of candles:eek: I love PL myself but that seems pretty crazy that she will get the equal amout of PL that her show total was.

baychef said:
Tastefully Simple is a line of foods such as mixes, seasonings, salsas and sauces. To prepare the mixes, it does not take more than 2 ingredients to complete the recipe. I have a friend that sells it and it is good. She does good at it. I have sold her and a few other TS consultants lots of Pampered Chef items. In fact, their symbol is the leaf...let her know about our leaf napkin ring holders on the outlet right now!!
TS has some restrictions about selling with companies with similar products and they consider PC similar to TS...but barring the pantry items, it is not.

Our small town has a TS consultant that is also a PC consultant.

I've seen A LOT of great responses here, and I'm adding my 2 cents to several...
1. That is great the start up kit is free, but are they getting higher priced to help with sales in the 1st few shows? Also, what other fees are hidden by PL? Do they pay local sales taxes, offer free software, etc?

2. I would never offer to pay for a kit. I feel the consultant needs to take ownership in the consultant agreement so it means something to her/him. What is the incentive to make it work if you get it for free?

3. All you can do is educated them about the benefits of PC...tell them about training, the sharing, all the wonderful benefits to PC. As for the one who is fed up DS...explain to her that you would never leave out there on her own, and will offer tools to help with bookings, sales etc. She'll come around.

Try not to discouraged and look at like this...in the long run you may find it is better they aren't on your team. :D

1. Why do I keep losing recruits to Partylite?

There could be a variety of reasons why you are losing recruits to Partylite. It's important to evaluate your recruiting techniques and make sure you are effectively communicating the benefits of joining Pampered Chef. Additionally, consider reaching out to your recruits and addressing any concerns or questions they may have about joining your team.

2. How can I prevent losing recruits in the future?

To prevent losing recruits, focus on building strong relationships with them and providing support and guidance throughout their journey with Pampered Chef. Make sure to also offer competitive compensation and incentives to attract and retain top talent.

3. Is it normal to lose recruits to other direct sales companies?

Losing recruits to other direct sales companies is not uncommon in this industry. It's important to remember that not every recruit will be the right fit for your team and to focus on the ones who are dedicated and committed to building their business with Pampered Chef.

4. How can I compete with other direct sales companies like Partylite?

Instead of viewing other direct sales companies as competition, focus on what makes Pampered Chef unique and highlight those qualities to potential recruits. Offer a personalized and supportive experience for your recruits and showcase the benefits of joining a well-established and reputable company like Pampered Chef.

5. Should I be concerned about losing recruits to Partylite?

Losing recruits to Partylite or any other direct sales company may happen from time to time, but it should not be a major concern. Continue to focus on your own business and providing a positive and rewarding experience for your team members. If you consistently show your dedication and passion for Pampered Chef, your recruits will be more likely to stick with you in the long run.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Intrepid_Chef
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
ChefGwendolyn
  • chefannie
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
lauradahl
  • Boomerjojo