• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Recruiting Struggles: My Journey in Direct Sales

In summary, the speakers in this conversation discuss their struggles with recruiting in their direct sales businesses. They share advice and tips on how to improve recruiting by setting goals, taking advantage of training opportunities, observing successful recruiters, and changing their approach to talking about the business opportunity. They also mention the importance of body language and being intentional about actively recruiting.
heat123
Silver Member
:( Been bummed that I haven't had any success with recruiting after 2 years but I figure if it's meant to be it will happen?
Also bummed that 3 of my past hosts have signed up for Other DS companies (Passion Party, Cookie Lee and MK) even though they LOVE our products :(. I guess it's just not their thing, (home cooking that is)??

Have you shared your goal with your director? HAve you taken advantage of every training opportunity? Have you observed the show of a successful recruiter?

I'm with ya, Heather.

As for your suggestion, Deb, I'm in that process now. I know I want to promote. I am taking advantage of every opportunity I can. My director and I have been talking about this. I'm no longer verbally vomitting on people. I answer questions in ways that make them ask more questions. I'm ready.

My director has even offered to meet with me for 30-45 minutes before our team meetings for the next several months to work on recruiting.

(This is an issue touched on at team meetings, but the others who are currently coming are just getting started with their PC hobbies. Our goals are very different, so she offered me the opportunity for some additional guidance.)

You know what Susie Lite from HO mentioned at our meeting on Monday? She said watch your body language when you are asking people about the business opportunity and booking. Do you shake your head when you are asking them? Try nodding instead. Until you get the hang of it, you'll feel like a human bobble-head.

I asked my new recruit what she thought since she was on the guest side of things. She said she thought I did all of the right stuff and to just try the head nod thing. I don't know if she was just trying not to hurt my feelings or what, but I'm going to try nodding instead of shaking.

It sounds like such a simple thing, but it works. How do you say no to someone nodding yes. And it should be a subtle thing, not like when you are trying to convince your hubby to do something.

Heather--girl after 4 years Director should've been in the bag long ago for me. I know how discouraging it can be at times. To be surrounded by people who are able to just take off and reach those somewhat elusive goals is so tough. At your next party, try to listen to yourself. What are you sharing about the business. I have learned that I am selling the kit instead of the opportunity. Just take as much training as you can, then when you feel like your mind is full up of all that information start changing one thing at a time till you find a routine that will work for you.

Good luck!! And know I'm right there with you!

I've got two active on my team right now, but I've recruited 4. The first two came to me & said, I want to do this. The 3rd was my mom & signed to do this with me. She never got excited about it & wanted me to come do all of the demos. The 4th signed after a cooking show, but had already decided she was going to sign.

With these 4, they had already decided to sign, I was just the lucky one they signed under. I need to work on actively recruiting & not just waiting for them to drop in my lap.

I'm not sure what this has to do with your post.... but, I know how you feel.

I'm changing how I talk about recruiting & I think it's helping! :D

DebbieJ said:
Have you shared your goal with your director? HAve you taken advantage of every training opportunity? Have you observed the show of a successful recruiter?

GREAT JOB ASKING QUESTIONS DEB! The training is WORKING!!!!! :D

finley1991 said:
GREAT JOB ASKING QUESTIONS DEB! The training is WORKING!!!!! :D

Smart Aleck!!!! :cool: :rolleyes: :p

Maybe a little! It shows that it sunk in!!! :D

Hang in there Heather! I'm almost to my 6yr anniversary & I just got my first recruit last month....I've really changed my attitude about it though; really focusing on them. I also started doing a 'why bag', & that's sparked a lot more interest too.

Heather,
You're making progress just by being more aware of recruiting and having it at the front of your mind. I haven't taken the newer recruiting online courses, but I would suggest that and see what you think. It's all about being intentional about it. Make it a goal to give out 2 recruiting packets at each show (not including the host....hopefully you're already talking to her about the opportunity before the show even happens). That may mean you single out people who stand out to you: someone who knows a lot about the products, someone who listens very intently to your demo, someone who seems to like to get out of the house and have a break from whatever (especially kids), someone who has been to multiple shows, someone who has "everything", etc. Then follow up with them.

It's just a matter of focusing on it more if that's what you want.. It's also a numbers game. The more shows you have, the more packets you hand out, the more you talk about it with people, the more you'll get recruit leads.

You can do it!!!:D

What is "Bumming on Recruiting"?

"Bumming on Recruiting" is a term used to describe a practice where individuals attend recruiting events or job fairs without any real intention of pursuing a job or career opportunity. Instead, they may attend for various reasons such as networking, freebies, or simply to pass time.

Why do people "bum" on recruiting?

People may "bum" on recruiting for a variety of reasons. Some may be genuinely interested in networking and making connections, while others may have no real intentions and are just looking for freebies or to pass time. Some may also attend for the experience or to see what job opportunities are available, without any intention of actually pursuing a job.

What are the potential consequences of "bumming" on recruiting?

The consequences of "bumming" on recruiting can vary. For those who are genuinely interested in networking, it can be a positive experience and may lead to valuable connections. However, for those who attend without any real intentions, it can be seen as a waste of time and resources for both the individual and the recruiters. It can also reflect poorly on one's professionalism and may harm their reputation in the industry.

How can one avoid "bumming" on recruiting?

To avoid "bumming" on recruiting, it is important to have a clear intention and purpose for attending. This could be to network, learn about job opportunities, or gain industry insights. It is also important to prepare and do research beforehand, so that you can make the most out of the event and have meaningful conversations with recruiters. Additionally, be respectful of the recruiter's time and only attend if you are genuinely interested in pursuing a job opportunity.

Is "bumming" on recruiting a common practice?

While it may occur, "bumming" on recruiting is not a common or recommended practice. It is important to attend recruiting events with a clear intention and to be respectful of the time and resources of both the recruiters and other attendees. This will not only benefit you, but also maintain a positive and professional reputation within the industry.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• leshelman
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
tpchefpattie
  • JennLizFran
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
Dutchess
  • Admin Greg