• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Signing My First Recruit: Mixed Feelings and Uncertainty

In summary, Sarah is afraid that her new recruit will take away all of her customers. She also does not think that actively recruiting is necessary in a small town.
PCSarahjm
I am signing my first recruit tomorrow:) :( I don't know I should be happy about this but for some reason I am having mixed feelings. I am afraid that she will get all of my customers. We live in a small town and she has been to almost every show that I have done. What am I going to do? Anyone have this same problem? I thought this was a good idea at first when I approached her about becoming a consultant. But know that I think about it I don't know. I guess it will give me an extra push to work my business so I don't lose my customers.

Some people will not agree with me. BUT this is why I do not actively recruit. I only give out info if approached. I know it can cause conflit b/c the one active recruit that I have we share friends - it also puts pressure on the friends too.

So, I know EXACTLY how you feel.

It has not caused a lot of problems or anything major but if I had sevreal recruits in my area it would definitely affect my business. I have someone that has just asked me for info and I hate to give it to her b/c she has friends in the same circle that many of my host are in. Plus, I do not have time or the inclination to train them either. I did not get into this business to recruit.

Jennifer
I feel the same way...If I get anymore recruits then I don't think anyone will have a business. There just isn't enough people in this area for that many PC Consultants. I believe after this recruit I will only give info if I am approached...another thing is she only wants to do catalog shows for the first few months to see how things go.

Sarah - I am in a small area...city of about 7500. There are AT LEAST 10-12 consultants in the City that I can name. I am having no problems with my business. Once in awhile I run into someone who has been to a ton of shows, but it doesn't seem to last. ...and I find that people don't like the area director so business has magically appeared on my doorstep a few times by word of mouth of my customers to others.

I look at it this way...if you don't have a recruit under you working the business that you can potentially get commission off of, another person may move to your area someday and take even more away. Might as well build your team in the area.

Well I know that people will also disagree with me too...... but this is why I do not activly recurit either... though I do want to be a director...... But I too live in a small town and half of my customers would probaly be gone as well...... Their are a couple of other consultants in the area but they do not activly do shows like I do...... If someone asked me about the business I will give them information!!

My recruit is just doing catalog shows right now too.

This is another way that I look at it too... their is only one of me... VS two towns of 10,000-5,000 people........ so I can recurit and build a team.... My hair dresser wants to sign but she has to wait becasue she singed up and went inactive becasue she didn't like her director and I ended up helping her more than her director....so she went inactive and will resgin under me in March of next year... BUT she doesn't want to do cooking shows... she only wants to do catalog shows... so we have a deal if they want a cooking show she calls me and I take it from their......

janetupnorth said:
Sarah - I am in a small area...city of about 7500. There are AT LEAST 10-12 consultants in the City that I can name. I am having no problems with my business. Once in awhile I run into someone who has been to a ton of shows, but it doesn't seem to last. ...and I find that people don't like the area director so business has magically appeared on my doorstep a few times by word of mouth of my customers to others.

I live in a town of about 400/500.

Ladies - take a step back and take a breath! My hottest recruit lives in the same subdivision as me. When we did come across someone who she approached and I was already their consultant I said "I would like to keep this person on my customer list" and we were just fine. Now, when you recruit someone, let them know that you will help them with their first show and help them to get bookings and recruit leads from THEIR FRIENDS AND FAMILY. If their friends and family are on your list, be ready to lose them as customers. Keep them in your database and on your email list (if you do that) in case your recruit doesn't pan out for the long run.That being said, get your bootie in gear and do your Customer Care calls and other follow-up calls so you are THEIR consultant. Also, I do tell my hosts to support their friends and family if they happen to have a show, but to keep me in mind if someone in their circle wants to have a show.Just be up front with your recruits and be ready to let go a few of your customers!

On another note, if you live in a small town, do shows in close-by towns and try to recruit there.

jrstephens said:
I live in a town of about 400/500.

That is small, technically I do too but am near a city of 7500. Within a 15 mile radius I only have that many (or less) and most are snowbirds (only around in the summer). It can be done - you just have to pick your effort and goals.

I personally would not turn down a recruit. After all only 1/3 stay...it may get you points and bonuses you weren't expecting, give you a challenge for a bit and most likely won't hurt your business.

I Live in a resort town.... It's the Oregon Coast..... But their is lots of business here..... I had a recuirting interview the other day with one of my hostess from two weeks ago... But she only wanted the products she really didnt'w ant to do anything with the business.. I told her it would probaly not be in her best interest to do that then.. and she agreeed and bought the products she wanted using her free and half priced items!!! She had a $1,000.00 show!!! :D

janetupnorth said:
I personally would not turn down a recruit. After all only 1/3 stay...it may get you points and bonuses you weren't expecting, give you a challenge for a bit and most likely won't hurt your business.

I do not turn then down at all. I just do not go out and actively find them.:balloon:

jrstephens said:
I do not turn then down at all. I just do not go out and actively find them.:balloon:

:) (That was for Sarah who wasn't sure what to do...) I say take the recruit since they are in your lap and about to sign!

P.S. Sarah - if they qualify by 11/30 that is $100 for you!

I struggled with whether or not to post this but I decided to anyway. There are a lot of consultants who will agree with you about not recruiting and sharing our biz opportunity. I'm not one of them.

It's too bad that you won't actively share our amazing opportunity with others. It's selfish. Someone shared it with you and you know what the benefits are... why wouldn't you want someone else to experience the same thing?

Our opportunity might just be what someone needs so they don't have to declare bankruptcy or to put braces on their kid's teeth... and you won't share it because, why? And you say you're sharing, but are you? Just giving them info they can get on pc's website isn't really sharing, is it?

And I know what you're thinking... if they REALLY want to sign, they will anyway, right? That is right... and they will sign with someone else, and that person will reap the benefits of the extra money earned from recruiting. And in your eyes, if someone who lives in the same town as you becomes a consultant, you'll still be out the bookings, right? So why not earn the overrides from it instead of losing out entirely? It's a lose-lose all the way around when you don't share with others.

Just be open-minded and see the other side of the story....

Last edited:
I am just going to "back out of this thread." I do not actively recruit and will not change my mind unless God leads me to change it and I see that is what He wants me to do. That is what is so great about this business - it is our to run and do as we see fit according to how we want to do!

I knew when I posted my response it would open a can of worms (it has in the past but it is my opinon). Sorry your thread has turned into that, Sarah.

Best of luck Sarah!

Jennifer - you are entitled to your opinion as are we. Colleen and I just wanted to point out ways to be able to recruit and still be able to keep your business the way you want. However, if you don't want to recruit - send em my way! :D

jrstephens said:
I am just going to "back out of this thread." I do not actively recruit and will not change my mind unless God leads me to change it and I see that is what He wants me to do. That is what is so great about this business - it is our to run and do as we see fit according to how we want to do!

I knew when I posted my response it would open a can of worms (it has in the past but it is my opinon). Sorry your thread has turned into that, Sarah.

Best of luck Sarah!

Jennifer, please don't take this as an attack, but I have commented before on your signature and how much I like it. Apply it to the recruiting aspect of your biz and she just how much God blesses you in that area too!
I live in a small town, we don't even have a stoplight in my town. However, the surrounding area is booming, but there are plenty of PC consultants and directors to boot. My team members have also been in the same social circle as me, so yes it appeared at first as if I was giving up a bit of my customer base. And I DID have a bookings slump over the summer - but so did everyone else. BUT, like someone else it IS our a part of our job to share the opportunity. Good luck to you all!

I find it amazing that when someone disagrees with someone else on this forum it becomes an attack. I see no attack in the responses from Kate and Colleen. They are just presenting the other side.

I happen to agree with them (surprise). When I started I didn't actively recruit because I thought I would lose business and you know what? When I did recruit I did lose business but I never had LESS business. It's like love - you have to give it away to get it. Honest! I never had less shows in the month because I gave up the new recruits best friend's show or because someone wanted to help their friend out. There is business to replace that business just around the corner.

I live in a small town too and there are 3 directors here that I know of and one lives in my neighborhood. I don't know how many consultants are here - I have 3 in my downline in Mebane to start... We all have business - I don't hear of conflicts with getting/keeping business. I now feel that by sharing the business opportunity I am helping someone else and I don't always know who that is in the room.

It really is true that if you share you will be rewarded. God has blessed my business immensely since I started sharing the "wealth".

That being said, you CAN run your business however you like. It's okay to not actively recruit but you are losing out on a lot.

Many of us don't want to actively recruit and that's fine if you don't want to. But also keep in mine that if you don't recruit her, and earn a percentage off her, someone else will, and she will be doing the parties in your circle of friends anyway.

Just because you recruit and don't have the time also doesn't mean you have to except directorship. It may never happen you recruit one then two drop out, so you are back to a FD again and it goes on like this.
Your director I am sure will train them, I would rather have the percentage of there sales from my friends they are now selling to then someone else getting them.

I am not really into recruiting either, but I know I won't let them go to someone else if they are really interested.
This is just my opinion and everyone has one and does their business differently that's for them and I have to respect that too!

Just my 2 cents!
Kelly V. :D

This obviously is a tough question. I agree that a small town can eventually get feel crowded out. I moved from a town of 10,000 that when I left, had 3 directors and all their down line there. Believe it or not, we really did not run into each other's business. If you are in the same circle, this would be something to discuss with a possible recruit. Ask them where their list of 100 would come from. Who would be their first 4 shows?

Don't be afraid of offering the business. I just moved to a city of 30,000 where there are only 3 of us, me being the one that is most active. I see recruiting as a way for me to earn money, but mostly like Amy stated, to share an opportunity with someone. The PC has a met a need for me that a $50,000 job does not. Wouldn't you want the same for someone else? You will be a good leader Sarah. Your feeling of sharing the business were there for a reason. You wanted someone else to experience what you have. As you continue your business, you will find it spreading in many directions. That is one reason I travel out of my area when ask for shows. I hope to "plant a seed" somewhere for someone else to start their business.

Well I just tried something to night that I never thought I would try at a show..... See I got a new car this past weekend....But my September's Commission Check will pay for half of the payment for one month, and part of the second month, I still have shows Oct lined up. But when I showed my reminder binder and I flipped through the photo's going over what was in their.... I put my new car in their... Their were women's eyes going bugged eyed, when they saw the photo, and what I made in sales in September..... I shared the opportunity...... I got asked a lot of questions..... this is the first time that I have really offered the opportunity during a show.... I didn't' get anyone signed but I planted seeds!! So I started it... felt kind of good to!!

My sister recruited me. Talk about over-lapping business. Oh, yeah, her husband's cousin's wife recruited her. Oh, and just 2 weeks ago, my sister recruited our sister-in-law. So now my sister has family competition on both sides and many of our friends overlap. It didn't seam to scare her. We don't live in the same city, but between us we make a 15 mile, 25 mile, 20 mile triangle.

And yesterday was a little awkward. My sister and I were at McD's and she ran into a past guest and they started talking PC. There were 2 other moms there and we all started talking - not about PC, but found out all 3 of them were from the small town I live in. (we were at a McD's in between both of our houses). My sister and I were getting ready to leave and I got my bag and said, "Before I leave, does anyone want a PC catalog?" My sister - mostly jokingly-said to her daughter, "I guess I need to race your auntie to hand out catalogs." She had been going to get hers as I was handing out mine to the 2 moms. Oops, it happens, but we move on. She knows she will make a commission off of me.

I can't wait to recruit my first, second, third....... I believe that's the way to maximize the Pampered Chef benefits. But, I know it's not for everyone.

Good luck to you all!!

1. What is the process for signing my first recruit?

The process for signing your first recruit involves identifying potential candidates, discussing the opportunity with them, and guiding them through the enrollment process. You will also need to provide them with training and support once they become a recruit.

2. How do I know if someone is a good fit for becoming a recruit?

Look for individuals who are passionate about cooking and entertaining, have a strong network of friends and family, and are self-motivated and driven. It's also important to find someone who aligns with the values and mission of Pampered Chef.

3. What kind of support can I offer my first recruit?

You can offer your first recruit training on how to run a successful Pampered Chef business, tips on hosting parties and events, and resources for marketing and promoting their business. You can also provide ongoing support and mentorship to help them reach their goals.

4. What if my first recruit is hesitant or unsure about joining?

It's natural for some individuals to feel uncertain about joining a direct sales business. You can address their concerns by sharing your personal experiences and successes with Pampered Chef, and offering to answer any questions they may have. You can also offer them a trial period to try out the business before fully committing.

5. How can I overcome my own mixed feelings about signing my first recruit?

It's normal to have mixed feelings when signing your first recruit. Remember that you are not alone and your Pampered Chef team and mentor are there to support you. You can also attend training and events to gain more confidence and skills in recruiting and leading a team. Lastly, focus on the potential for growth and success for yourself and your first recruit, and the positive impact you can make on their life and business.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• slhalepc
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
slhalepc
  • Niki Kate
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
tpchefpattie
  • esavvymom