• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Recruiting a Blind Person: Accessibility Tips and Suggestions for Your Website

In summary, the blind consultant from Vanessa's clustermate is not compatible with the software for the blind and cannot be recruited.
cmdtrgd
Gold Member
Has anyone ever recruited a blind person? I just did a job fair and a gal came up to me. She loves the products and uses them at home. Getting around would be a problem, but I suggested that she could have shows at her house which she was fine with. Her main question was accessibility of the website....anyone have suggestions, details, experience in this?

Why don't you call HO and find out if there are any current blind consultants. They will probably tell you how to get in touch with them and you can get your answers straight from them.....then post here for us!

Good idea! I called Tech Support yesterday about the website accessibility and he had absolutely no idea - it was kind of funny the way he reacted. He is researching it and will get back to me.

HO would be my 1st stop too. I'm sure this is not the 1st time this has come up. Knowing the foundation of the company I can't imagine HO not being able to make accomadations and even help you and her get started. Let us know what they say!

A consultant in our cluster has a blind person on her team. If you want, send me your email address and I can pass it on to her. Hope that helps.

Wow! My first thought was to have her hold shows in her own home (where she knows her surroundings) but you already thought of that!

Let us know what HO has to say...it's amazing how many people with special needs walk the stage at NC! She could be the next!

Oh, this is just amazing! Can you imagine what a recruiting tool as well as an inspirational tool this person would be for the rest of your team? I can hear it now...."not only do you not have to be able to cook to join PC, you don't even have to be able to see"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! She'll probably recruit out the wazoo!

Well, I got the call back from HO and our main website as well as our personal websites are not compatible with the software for the blind. I'll have to wait until I get some info from Vanessa's clustermate.

1. Can a blind person perform the same job tasks as a sighted person?

Yes, a blind person can perform the same job tasks as a sighted person. With the help of assistive technology and accommodations, blind individuals are able to complete a variety of tasks in the workplace.

2. How can I ensure a blind candidate has equal access to the recruitment process?

Employers should provide accessible application materials and ensure that the recruitment process is inclusive of individuals with disabilities. This may include providing alternative formats for materials, such as braille or audio recordings, and offering accommodations for interviews or assessments.

3. Are there any legal requirements for recruiting blind individuals?

Yes, under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA), employers are required to provide reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities during the recruitment process. This includes making job postings and application materials accessible and providing accommodations for interviews and assessments.

4. How can I address concerns about safety in hiring a blind employee?

Employers should not make assumptions about a person's ability to perform a job based on their disability. Instead, focus on the essential job requirements and determine if the candidate can perform those tasks with or without reasonable accommodations. Blind individuals are capable of working in a variety of industries and can perform their job duties safely with proper training and accommodations.

5. What resources are available for employers looking to recruit blind individuals?

There are several resources available for employers looking to recruit blind individuals, including disability-specific job boards, job placement agencies, and disability organizations. Employers can also reach out to their local Vocational Rehabilitation agency for assistance in recruiting and hiring blind individuals.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• ChefJen2012
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
Oracle
  • ChefPeg
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
pcjenr
  • Sarah K.