• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Is This Business Opportunity Really Worth It?

Her story: Don't you just love my smile?! My Pampered Chef business gave me this. When I started several of my teeth were missing but now I can proudly smile and tell you all what this business can do for you too! Who has a dream?
buzz26
What if someone asks you about the business opportunity and your thought is..."oh no...you can't be serious?"

I'm nobody to judge and I went ahead and gave the dvd and info, but I can't see this person being successful. AT ALL. I won't tell you why or what this person's situation is b/c I don't want to offend anyone. But...I'm afraid if the person signs, I'm going to be doing most of the work for them and they are going to be very disappointed in their outcome.

Am I being ridiculous?

Just remember- You can help only as much as they put into their business. It's not our jobs to make our downlines successful...only to support and steer them.

So, if they do great...great! If they don't do great...don't sweat it!

And really... you just never know! Of course often those "feelings" are correct, but if they want to try it, more power to um. Just don't do it for her.

I always want to give people the benefit of the doubt, but...ya know:)We'll see how it goes:)

it will be their business, not yours.... so if they are not successful than it is up to them not you.... and you just never know...sometimes the person you think will be the worst host is the best.

Tell you what - I'm now a future director, and I'm furious. I recruited someone without an internet connection.

PC makes it seem like you can do this business by snail mail.

From page F-3 of the policies & procedures
2. Via First-Class U.S. Mail
Orders must be mailed to: The Pampered Chef, Ltd.
Attn: Solution Center
One Pampered Chef Lane

Hello! A new recruit would have to put in a paperwork order to submit a show by snail mail.

The form for this is not in the kit.

She had to phone her orders into me, give me her PC password, and I had to jack my PC to handle 2 versions of PP so I could submit her order electronically.

I listened to a Belinda Ellsworth CD while driving over Labor Day weekend and one portion rang out in my mind while reading your post. Granted we all have our gut feelings but if she wants to join - help as you can, don't "do all the work for her" but give her an opportunity.

Belinda's story talks about a person who comes to her to ask about the business. She was wearing ripped and tattered clothes and didn't look very put together. Years later after this person had gotten married and was moving (she was now a top consultant) and was talking with Belinda. The girl then told Belinda if it wasn't for her she may not have been able to keep her apartment. She was a foster child and at the time she signed up she had just been removed from the government system. She was now on her own.

You could be the person to help someone turn their life around.

Well, I'll calm down. It was all my fault that I told my recruit that she didn't need internet to do this.

kspry said:
Tell you what - I'm now a future director, and I'm furious. I recruited someone without an internet connection.

One Pampered Chef Lane

Hello! A new recruit would have to put in a paperwork order to submit a show by snail mail.

She had to phone her orders into me, give me her PC password, and I had to jack my PC to handle 2 versions of PP so I could submit her order electronically.

That is a drawback - I was told we would have to have access to the web to be able to submit orders. A huge drawback for those who don't have computers.

My recruit has struggled to get orders submitted at her sisters. Very slow system - they only have dialup... I remember that and can't believe it is already the "old" way to do things!

buzz26, I would give them a shot at it.

Just beware if they don't have internet.

Oh they have internet...how about missing teeth:) That's just one part of it.

buzz26 said:
Her story: Don't you just love my smile?! My Pampered Chef business gave me this. When I started several of my teeth were missing but now I can proudly smile and tell you all what this business can do for you too! Who has a dream?

What is her why?

buzz26 said:
What if someone asks you about the business opportunity and your thought is..."oh no...you can't be serious?"

I'm nobody to judge and I went ahead and gave the dvd and info, but I can't see this person being successful. AT ALL. I won't tell you why or what this person's situation is b/c I don't want to offend anyone. But...I'm afraid if the person signs, I'm going to be doing most of the work for them and they are going to be very disappointed in their outcome.

Am I being ridiculous?
I had a lady interested and I was excited for her at first...then she started telling me about her money issues and what I would call her "shopping addiction"...I was afraid she would take checks from customers and spend it on herself rather than depositing them so she could submit the show. She would tell me often how she "should have paid her bills" but spent money on clothes, furniture, eating out etc, and now she was in danger of her power or phone being turned off. I have no idea how she pays her mortgage every month. We had to postpone the closing of her show because instead of paying me she went shopping. I was terrified she wouldn't be an honest consultant so I really put the ball in her court and didn't actively pursue her. I just gave her the info she would need to sign, but didn't push the issue...she never has money available to commit and isn't interested in using the kit credit so the situation worked itself out (she hosts catalog shows for me often). I hated (at first) to loose a potential recruit, but I wanted to protect PC's name more - I would hate for honest consultants to get a bad rap!

chef_kimmo said:
I listened to a Belinda Ellsworth CD while driving over Labor Day weekend and one portion rang out in my mind while reading your post. Granted we all have our gut feelings but if she wants to join - help as you can, don't "do all the work for her" but give her an opportunity.

Belinda's story talks about a person who comes to her to ask about the business. She was wearing ripped and tattered clothes and didn't look very put together. Years later after this person had gotten married and was moving (she was now a top consultant) and was talking with Belinda. The girl then told Belinda if it wasn't for her she may not have been able to keep her apartment. She was a foster child and at the time she signed up she had just been removed from the government system. She was now on her own.

That story gets me every time I listen to that CD - it's so touching, and also so motivational for asking everyone!

kspry said:
buzz26, I would give them a shot at it.

Just beware if they don't have internet.

I didn't have internet the first year & half of my business & had no problems submitting orders via snail mail. Inless it's changed; granted it was more work, but it could be done.

buzz26 said:

But...I'm afraid if the person signs, I'm going to be doing most of the work for them and they are going to be very disappointed in their outcome.

Only if you put yourself in that position!

kspry said:

One Pampered Chef Lane

She would still enter the shows into PP but instead of transmitting she would print the show info & mail that. That is the only form needed.

When I started the biz there was no Pampered Partner, but even still my puter croaked for awhile. I did shows by mail until I could afford to replace it. Phone HO (from a payphone if necessary) and get them to mail the forms. They will. Then pay the $1 or less per page to fax them from the Staples or Kinkos or the corner store. It's do-able. I know it is, because I did it.

friday

stacywhitlow said:
She would still enter the shows into PP but instead of transmitting she would print the show info & mail that. That is the only form needed.
Unfortunately, the reports from P3 are not a mailable form. She'd have to install and use PP, or use P3 to enter things, and then copy it onto a master order form and mail it in.

buzz26 said:

Can she talk? Why does it matter whether or not she has teeth???? :confused:

chef_kimmo said:

I get chills EVERY time I hear that part of her cd. Imagine how good you would feel knowing that YOU shared and opportunity with someone who really needed to better their life. I would feel blessed to help that person.

If you have not gone to conference, I would highly recommend it. That was a real eye-opener for me in pre-judging people who I thought would be the perfect consultant. There is no 'mold'. We are all different and that's part of what makes this company so successful.

dannyzmom said:
Can she talk? Why does it matter whether or not she has teeth???? :confused:
Ya know, I saw a few deaf consultants at conference.......I'd really be interested to talk (well, have someone sign for me :p ) with them and see how they are able to make their biz a success. That has got to be an amazing feat!

pamperedlinda said:
Ya know, I saw a few deaf consultants at conference.......I'd really be interested to talk (well, have someone sign for me :p ) with them and see how they are able to make their biz a success. That has got to be an amazing feat!
I know; there was a gal at my Exec banquet that was deaf & I was amazed; I'd be interested to hear how she's doing:)

I only recently signed and haven't had any of my shows yet so maybe I am not the best one to post to this answer but...My teeth all had to be replaced and even having dental insurance it cost me over 6000 of my own money. That's actually one of my "why's", I need to pay off that bill for what I call my 6,000 dollar smile. Please don't judge a book by it's cover because just as there are some diamonds hiding in the rough, I have met plenty of glamorous people that have shown me that they are nothing but trash on the inside. Treat this person the same way you would treat any recruit, don't work for them but see what happens.Sorry this was long, just my two cents.
Lynda

Not only does she not have internet, she doesn't have a PC. Or printer.

buzz26 said:

Am I being ridiculous?

I have a friend that is interested in the business but I am afraid to recruit her. I just feel that I would end up doing too much for her. I guess I am just trying to protect her. I think that this would be great for her, but I just think that she has too much on her plate right now. So if someone can help me decide what to do. My director told me that I shouldn't make decisions for her but I look at her like a little sister and I guess I feel like I need to protect her.

kspry said:
OK- that makes it harder. Not impossible, but trickier. You'll need to get a couple of the Master Order Forms for her so that she can submit shows right away, along with at least one supply order form. And she'd better be good with a calculator. :) She can then order everything else she'll need from the supply order form, including more Master Order Forms.

A clustermate of mine had a recruit a couple years back who had no computer and had to calculate by hand. It was tricky, but if you're organized, it's possible (heck, how long was it before there was PP software?). The downside is that she won't have the cool reports like Top Sell List and Monthly Sales Diary.

Don't let this be the show-stopper. She can also make enough money to purchase a computer very quickly.

I have had a couple of consultants without computers and did not find it difficult to function at all. PC provides an easy way to submit via paper. They just use one of the itemized sales receipts as a tally and then the show order form along with the receipt info/credit card slips from the bottom. The big difference is that they really have to watch their dates if they are working toward a promotion or want the commission on a particular check.

Remember when we figured everything (bills, etc.) all out with our calculators (or by hand :eek: )? I remember adding things 2 or 3 times to be SURE I had it right, not thinking anything of it.

We are so spoiled and hypnotized these days by the computer and forget that it wasn't long ago that we ALL functioned quite nicely without it. If she wants to do PC she can do it even if she never chooses to buy a computer.

My aunt sold PC several years ago and she never used a computer to do her biz. Everything was done by hand. It is very doable, if the person wants to do it.

There have been a lot of good suggestions here, but I have one other to add:what if she doesn't like it? She must love the products, so she's made a great investment in her kitchen. We of course all want far more than that for her... but the only way she's going to know is if she tries.And I know that a recruit is supposed to do their certain number of shows at the beginning... but the sky won't fall if she does one or two and says "hey, this isn't for me." How many people start a job with the best of intentions and realize they have to resign almost immediately? It happens.So really that's the worst case scenario in my book.

I also recruited someone without a computer. Her orders are slow, but they do go through. That can be a good first goal to achieve. Have her PC business pay for a new computer and internet connection.

kspry said:

One Pampered Chef Lane

BethCooks4U said:

What is her why?

That's what I was thinking! Maybe she wants to do PC so she can afford dental work.

jenniferp417 said:
There have been a lot of good suggestions here, but I have one other to add:

what if she doesn't like it? She must love the products, so she's made a great investment in her kitchen. We of course all want far more than that for her... but the only way she's going to know is if she tries.

And I know that a recruit is supposed to do their certain number of shows at the beginning... but the sky won't fall if she does one or two and says "hey, this isn't for me." How many people start a job with the best of intentions and realize they have to resign almost immediately? It happens.

So really that's the worst case scenario in my book.
I would then say "I understand. You can fulfill the commitment you made by putting together a couple of catalog shows and here's how you can do it..." She really should do the minimum at least before she just walks away but then if she won't do that - you just have to bless and release.

kspry said:
It's OK! I didn't have any of these either....it CAN be done! Her PC money can provide her with all these things, thus making doing PC easier. This is really a silly reason to not want to sign someone--I did it for almost 2 years! Hey if nothing else it improves your math skills, lol!

lacychef said:
It's OK! I didn't have any of these either....it CAN be done! Her PC money can provide her with all these things, thus making doing PC easier. This is really a silly reason to not want to sign someone--I did it for almost 2 years! Hey if nothing else it improves your math skills, lol!

Lacy - Thanks for that!
Last night I had a guest stay at the show after everyone had left, to ask me how much she could make working PT.....she is a barista at Starbucks, but her hours vary from week to week - and she needs to be making full-time pay. However, she doesn't have a computer. She has access to one that she can use, but wouldn't be able to download P3 onto it. I honestly wasn't sure if it was worth it to pursue this with her - so thanks for your words - they are very encouraging!

You're welcome Becky! I hope it works out for you!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PamperedChefDebi
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
tpchefpattie
  • Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Admin Greg
  • baychef