• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

toApproach or Not to Approach?

F
friday
I have this neighbour... she is pretty stuck in the poverty cycle... she had a baby way too young- 5 years ago- and has not been able to get it together. She just finished her high school. She has been over a few times chatting about her money trouble. I am pretty uncertain about approaching her about PC. I have a small sense that poverty is sort of what she likes- the whole poor me thing. But at the same time I don't want to be judgemental. I seriously doubt she could afford the kit even with the kit credit. And I haven't had the greatest of luck getting new team members to do the work necessary to meet the goals they say they have. But to be honest- I think I have recruited some pretty lazy people.

How do I get over my judgemental side, and approach this girl without seeming to be judgemental? I don't want her to think I am offering her PC because I think she is a charity case. What would you do?

THANKS for your input
Alison

i was recently told what if someone didnt ask you? you need to think of it from a different point of view and maybe she would like all the attention from helping people. this might be the thing that changes her life.

I would definately mention it to her. I think I wouldn't mention her money situation, but I would probably just handle it like anyone else. You're offering her an opportunity to better herself and make some money at the same time. Don't tip toe around the situation, just invite her to be part of your team.

Maybe she needs it for more than the money... what about her self-esteem going up by owning her own business? Or being able to speak in front of groups? Setting goals and achieving them? Learning something new?

Not everyone does this for the $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$.

Basically, if you had something for her kid that she could use, you would give it to her... why would you not offer this? Go for it! What do you have to lose? You'll never know her answer unless you ask!

That is the one main thing I have learned throughout this whole PC adventure I've been on.... you never know unless you ask. They worst thing that will happen is they say no.

maybe her telling you how little money she has is a hint in her way..maybe shes waiting for a invitation? can't hurt to offer, good luck! :)

I'm jumping on the "this may be just what she needs" bandwagon. She may need to get creative to afford the kit, but it sounds like she could not only use the money, but also the personal growth that this business facilitates. And you never know, maybe she has a relative who'd be willing to help her get started, if it's something that will help break the poverty cycle.I'm not a therapist (nor do I play one on TV), but it seems to me that someone in her situation (specifically, having a child in her teens, resulting in dropping out of school) probably has some self-esteem issues. We're all familiar with the stories from successful consultants about how PC truly changed their lives by boosting their self-esteem. She may not take advantage of it, but wouldn't you feel great if you were the person who gave her the chance to experience that growth?

We often judge people without really knowing what they really want or can handle. Give her the information and let her tell you what her interest level is. She may surprise you!

Good luck! My favorite part of this business is helping others. She may be one who has one of those stories that really speaks to a lot of people.

A director in my upline cluster had divorced and had lots of bills as a result. Her paycheck covered everything but she only had money left for gas or food. She chose gas because otherwise she wouldn't get to work. She would stop at her mom or sisters every day for dinner. She was invited to a PC party and went to have a night out and for the food but ended up signing. Her brother loaned her the money. Her first paycheck was $140 (the kit was $100 then). She paid him back and went to the grocery store for the first time in 2 years. At a show a few months later her mom was a guest and heard her story. She (and the rest of the consultant's family and friends) had no idea.

You never know who you can help.

What are the potential barriers to approaching this neighbor about PC?

Potential barriers to approaching this neighbor about PC may include fear of being perceived as judgmental or condescending, uncertainty about the neighbor's financial situation and ability to afford the kit, and past experiences with recruiting lazy team members.

How can I overcome my judgemental thoughts and approach this neighbor in a respectful manner?

To overcome judgemental thoughts, it may be helpful to focus on the neighbor's potential for success with PC rather than their current circumstances. It may also be useful to approach the conversation with empathy and understanding, rather than pity or superiority.

What are some potential reasons why this neighbor may not be able to afford the PC kit?

Possible reasons why this neighbor may not be able to afford the PC kit could include limited income, financial responsibilities such as supporting a family or paying off debt, or lack of knowledge about budgeting and financial planning.

How can I ensure that this neighbor does not feel like a charity case when offering PC?

To prevent the neighbor from feeling like a charity case, it may be helpful to approach the conversation as a partnership or opportunity for personal growth and development. It may also be important to emphasize the potential benefits and opportunities that PC can provide.

What steps can I take to ensure that this neighbor is committed and motivated to succeed with PC?

To increase the chances of success with PC, it may be important to have an open and honest conversation with the neighbor about their goals and motivations. It may also be helpful to provide support and resources, such as training and mentorship, to help them stay motivated and on track.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• baychef
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
baychef
  • Chef Bobby
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
mjbroncobabe
  • dannyzmom