• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Enthusiastic Potential Backing Out?

In summary, the speaker had an enthusiastic potential recruit who initially showed interest in becoming a consultant. However, she later changed her mind due to her fear of speaking in front of people. The speaker tried to reassure her by mentioning that many successful consultants were initially shy, but the potential recruit's main concern was speaking in front of people, not shyness. The speaker offered to have her assist with a demo during her show, but still wasn't sure how to ease her fear of public speaking. Other consultants in the conversation shared their own experiences with overcoming shyness and fear of public speaking through Pampered Chef parties. The speaker also mentioned the CARE model as a way to address the potential recruit's concerns and encourage her to join the business
chefmelody
I had a very enthusiastic potential recruit who I had been calling for several months. She said that she was going to sign after her show, which she wanted to have once her son went back to school in August. We'd always had very pleasant conversations, and she seemed like a very outgoing woman.

Anyway, when I called her to set up her show, she sounded a little dejected, and said she'd decided that she couldn't sign up for PC. When I asked why, she said it was because she's discovered she has trouble speaking in front of people. She said she had to give a presentation at work, and couldn't even speak to people she worked with every day, so she doesn't think she'd make a good consultant.

I did tell her that many consultants have been shy when they started out, and she said that wasn't her problem. (I can tell that from talking to her, she doesn't have any trouble being shy.) It was just talking in front of people that seems to be the trouble... perhaps the pressure or performance anxiety?

Anyway, I'm not sure what to say to help her... she's very enthusiastic about the products, and I think she'd make a good consultant. She's still going to do her show, and I told her I'd have her wear an apron and help me out with the demo, if she felt comfortable with that. She said she might reconsider after seeing me do my demo.

So, how can I tailor my demo to show that it doesn't have to be a lot of pressure on her?

I actually had the same problem. I have a terrible time talking in front of my peers. I also had a horrible time doing my first few shows because it was in front of people that I knew. Once I did my first show with a group of people that weren't from my list of 100, I did fine. I wasn't nervous at all. I will say though, I had to do a presentation at a cluster meeting a few months back and again, because it was my peers, I became an idiot. I was stumbling over words and I was very uncomfortable.

That was me too----very shy and hated any public speaking. I decide it was a personal challenge to myself to give PC a try. I also hated to cook. I can tell you that it has TOTALLY helped me overcome my shyness. I never would have thought I'd be successful at this. Also, let her know that sometimes speaking and presenting in front of a group of people that she knows well is probably MUCH harder to speak in front of a group of strangers. Plus, cooking is such a nice common ground. Everyone eats! Plus our demos are so similar to just hanging out with friends in the kitchen.....kind of like when you have friends over and everyone ends up in the kitchen as you're finishing up an appetizer or something like that. It's very relaxed!!

I had the same fears with starting this business, as I'm sure MANY of us have. Hopefully she'll take a leap of faith and go for it! You never know if you're going to like something unless you try! Good luck!!!:)

For her show maybe you can do it where everyone is hanging around the kitchen counter or something instead of sitting in rows looking (staring) at you while you talk.

Whatever you do, don't try to discount her feelings. Try the CARE model, especially after her show.

C - If I understand you correctly, you are very nervous about presenting in front of a crowd.

A - I completely understand what you mean. Many PC consultants started out feeling exactly the same way, so you are not alone.

R - What many consultants have found is that our parties are generally not that big. You can also set up your shows so that it is a much more casual atmosphere and not an actual "presentation".

E - Are you wondering about anything else? I'd really love to work with you and teach you how you can do this business. Would you like to get started?

I had a enthusiastic potential who said she wanted to sign up. She was so good- organized, loved people, energetic, smart, computer knowledgable, etc. She had even talked with her tax guy about how being a consultant would effect her taxes. I had been speaking with her for a month or more and then she just changed her mind. I feel your frustration!

chefjwr said:
I had a enthusiastic potential who said she wanted to sign up. She was so good- organized, loved people, energetic, smart, computer knowledgable, etc. She had even talked with her tax guy about how being a consultant would effect her taxes. I had been speaking with her for a month or more and then she just changed her mind. I feel your frustration!
Yep, it definitely happens!!! Don't sweat it or take it personally. Just move on and find that next one.:) Even if you work with someone for over a year and they do finally sign, there's no guarantee that will work out either. I speak from experience because I have one who is likely to have her agreement terminated because she did a not so nice thing (had a cat. show, never submitted it, but cashed the checks:eek: ). Ya just never know!!!

Yea, I would try and talk to her again, but it is ultimately her decision.

I am in the same boat she is! I was/am totally scared to get up in front of people! It also seems that my fear is so much MORE when it's in front of people I know! Once I started doing shows for people that weren't my family or friends, I REALLY came into my own. It has also helped me with speaking in front of other groups- like at my church.

If she wants to speak with someone who feels/felt the same way, you are more than welcome to email me to get my phone number!

Good luck!

Keep her updated. One thing I did with a consultant who really wanted to sign but was afraid to speak to groups was to sign her as a catalog consultant and let her know that she could transition into live shows when she felt ready. That did the trick, she signed and did her first live show two weeks later! Go figure!

One thing my experience has taught me (and by that I meant that I've signed around 20 consultants overall -- not a ton by any means) is that if they are a headache BEFORE they sign, it's even worse after! If it's hard to get them to sign, move them to your "someday" list. They are not the last recruit lead EVER! I see so many on my team and fellow consultants work so hard on someone and then scare them away (I'm not saying you're doing that whatsoever) and get discouraged. If it's hard to do... move to the next lead. Sometimes when you move on, they really want to join then!

Good luck!

PS: Kelly is right! I find it so much easier to do shows for people I don't know! That way they don't know if I'm doing a crappy job or not! hee hee hee!

My big fear was getting up in front of people too but after getting comfortable with my friends/family it became easier. I still don't want to do a demo at our cluster meeting though but at Conference I had to speak in front of almost 200 people of course all my peers and that is what is nerve racking. Even after that going very well I'm still not too sure if I want to do a demo at our meeting. Maybe just have her have an apron on too during your demo and have her mirror you. Let everyone know she is "thinking" about becoming a consultant and let her friends help her decide. My Director did that for me and I had 8 bookings at my show. I was then stuck!!! LOL!

I'm scared to death......to do my first show! I'm naturally chatty but I feel so guilty trying to sell my friends something and I stink at cooking. If you could've JUST seen me 10 minutes ago! I made the chicken and broccoli braid for the first time and I was jumping in the hallway because I didnt burn it and my boyfriend was mocking me and came over and hugged me! LOL...

I am having my first show with all of my girlfriends for work, 10 to 15 of them. They're mainly coming because they KNOW its my first show and they're my guinea pigs. They've all said if I can make it through THAT show, I'm golden! I'm scared to death but its practice to me. (But I'm NOT inviting my mom! She's my worst critic!)

She can do it! Why can't she do her first show with you at her side to fill in the blanks?

Oooo, me, me, me!!! I'm not shy, but I'm VERY self-consious. If I feel comfortable with the subject matter, I'm fine. But when something is new and I don't feel like I could "do it blindfolded", then I'm a wreck and usually have a panic attack before the presentation! My first show was bad, but after I got it out of the way, my second one was MUCH better... While she may see you do a show with no notes/script/etc. assure her that it is FINE to use any of those. For at least the first 20 shows or so, I used notes and I still have a general outline I use (put it in the back of the flip chart so only I can see it). I would tell people that I was using notes because I was still new at this and wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything that they needed to hear.
But, as everyone else said, it is ultimately her decision. I would encourage her to at least try the first four shows... Even if she decides not to continue, she can be a catalog consultant or at least know she hasn't lost anything because she will make back the cost of the kit.
And make sure you direct her HERE so we can all give her more encouragement than she ever thought possible!!!

Denarella said:
...to do my first show! I'm naturally chatty but I feel so guilty trying to sell my friends something and I stink at cooking.
You sounded like I did when I first started. But, don't feel guilty about selling them items. Look at it like you are doing them a favor by telling them about some quality kitchen items that will make their lives easier. I always tell my guests that I started doing Pampered Chef so I could cook dinner for my family without having to spend a ton of money and, more importantly, time.

I've started looking at bookings the exact same way. When people book, you're doing them a favor by helping them earn some great products for free or discounted.

HTH

Oops... I just commented on this thread, and I didn't even mention the original subject!!

Sorry!!!

I'm no help in the recruiting department. I'm just now getting serious about it!!

smspamperedchef said:
My big fear was getting up in front of people too but after getting comfortable with my friends/family it became easier. I still don't want to do a demo at our cluster meeting though but at Conference I had to speak in front of almost 200 people of course all my peers and that is what is nerve racking. Even after that going very well I'm still not too sure if I want to do a demo at our meeting. Maybe just have her have an apron on too during your demo and have her mirror you. Let everyone know she is "thinking" about becoming a consultant and let her friends help her decide. My Director did that for me and I had 8 bookings at my show. I was then stuck!!! LOL!

And ya'll shoulda seen Miss Thang up in front of everyone at our Executive Banquet - she WORKED it, she OWNED it. You would NEVER EVER EVER have known she had a fear of speaking in fron tof people!!!

You are too funny!!! Work it baby, work it! :) That's what I thought you were about to say. LOL!

dannyzmom said:
And ya'll shoulda seen Miss Thang up in front of everyone at our Executive Banquet - she WORKED it, she OWNED it. You would NEVER EVER EVER have known she had a fear of speaking in fron tof people!!!

What is "Enthusiastic Potential Backing Out"?

"Enthusiastic Potential Backing Out" refers to when a customer shows interest in purchasing a Pampered Chef product or hosting a party, but then decides to cancel or back out at the last minute.

Why do customers back out at the last minute?

There can be various reasons for customers to back out at the last minute. Some common reasons include unexpected financial constraints, scheduling conflicts, or simply changing their mind about the purchase or party.

How should I handle a customer who backs out at the last minute?

The best approach is to remain understanding and professional. Offer to reschedule the party or provide alternative options for purchasing the product. Additionally, try to get feedback from the customer to understand their reasons for backing out and see if there is any way to address their concerns.

What can I do to prevent customers from backing out at the last minute?

While it's not always possible to prevent customers from backing out, there are some steps you can take to minimize the chances of it happening. These include building rapport and establishing trust with the customer, providing clear and accurate information about the product or party, and offering flexible options for rescheduling or canceling.

How can I turn a customer's backing out into a positive experience?

While it may seem challenging, turning a customer's backing out into a positive experience is possible. You can offer them a discount or special offer for rescheduling, provide excellent customer service and follow-up, and use their feedback to improve your future interactions with customers.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • babywings76
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
EmilyStraw
  • pcsharon1