• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Ethically Speaking: A Dilemma in Direct Sales Recruitment

In summary, the mom is considering working part-time as a PC consultant in order to make more money. She is concerned about stealing time away from her daughter. She has spoken to her husband about the idea and he is supportive. She has met with a PC consultant and they have discussed the job. Carey is considering signing with this consultant, but is worried about what Krista would think. The recruiter has talked to Carey about the job and she is interested. The mom is still undecided about whether to sign with the consultant, but is open to the idea.)
dianevill
Gold Member
Hi everyone,

I have a possible dilemma...maybe:eek: ! OK, here's the background. At my son's preschool party this past May, I got talking with some of the moms about PC. One of the moms (Carey) said she's a PC junkie but is really unhappy with her consultant (I'll call her Krista). Carey has hosted numerous shows with Krista and referred her to a lot of friends who've hosted quite a few $1000 shows, so they are (well, now "were") relatively close. Carey's medium scoop broke last year and at the time it was one month out of warranty. Krista refused to do anything about it, wouldn't even give her a discount on a new one. She was really disappointed because she has spent at least $500 with Krista, and thought Krista would help her out. I told Carey I happened to have an extra used one and she could have it (it was literally sitting in my Goodwill pile). She was very grateful and accepted. Carey called me a few weeks ago and placed a $50 order. I met her at McD's today to give it to her. We got to talking and she said that when her daughter starts kindergarten this fall, she needs to find a part time job. Of course, every warning bell in my head was sounding, so I mentioned PC to her. Her response was, "I know I'd be good at it - I love PC and I love to talk. Krista was trying to talk me into it for years, but I don't want to give up nights and weekends." Take away the Krista part for a moment. I said, "You'd rather work 3-4 afternoons every week and make less money than if you just work 4 nights a MONTH? Think about it Carey...There are 30-31 days in a month, and you would be gone 1/7 of those nights. That's it! Plus the free products you would get, the recognition, the trips." And on I went with my spiel. She said she never thought about it that way, and was going to talk to her DH. I went to the car and gave her a recruiting pack.

NOW, you can probably guess what my dilemma is. Am I stealing Carey from Krista? Carey did say that she doesn't speak with Krista and will not go to any shows in which she's the consultant (Carey's crowd is still having shows with her). As much as I would want Carey on my team (I really believe she'd be awesome), I do not want that on my conscience, and I don't want a call from Krista accusing me of stealing either (I don't have any idea who this consultant is)...

What do you all think?

Thanks!

I don't think it would be wrong to recruit her. I hosted shows for several years, expressed interest with 2 other consultants, but the timing just wasn't right for me. Maybe it is now the right timing for her. Besides, if she refuses to even a host a show with the other consultant, why would she ever sign under her? I think you should continue talking to her about it-you certainly aren't forcing it on her. She is interested and asking questions. Good luck!

well to me I don't think you would be doing anything wrong. She doesn't talk to Krista anymore so it's not like she is activally talking to her about joining the business and you snuck in and tried to steal her away. I think it would be different if she was still talking to Krista and having shows with her. She isn't even attending her shows. That is my opinion.

Ask her what she wants to do. It is ultimately the recruit's decision. My bet is she'll go with you.

Ultimately, it's really up to her who she'd sign with and it sounds like she'd go with you anyway. It's a weird dilemma, but I'd even mention it to her. I'd be willing to bet she wouldn't want to sign with this other consultant anyway. Good luck!

I think you are well within your rights to recruit her. Obviously she doesn't talk to Krista anymore, and Krista is not actively trying to recruit her. How many times do you hear in trainings that if you don't stay in touch with them then they will be recruited by someone else? This is a perfect example of why we need to always do our best to give great customer service.

I also think that Becky is right too. It's ultimately Carey's decision who she goes with. Krista doesn't really have a leg to stand on if she were to try to confront you about it.

:)D I feel like I know all these people personally!)

Keep us updated on what happens!

Way to go. The other consultant missed the boat IMO.

Thank you ladies! I kind of figured that since she's not talking w/ the other consultant, I'm ok, but needed to hear some confirmation!

I appreciate the help, and I'll let you know what happens. I have 3 active recruits (strong), one that's inactive but submitting a show in August to make her active again, and then if Carey signs, qualifies and stays active, she would be the magic one to my promotion (although I do have others in the wings but it's a matter of timing). My goal is Director by December 1st!

Diane~

If she chooses to go with you to sign, or for future shows she may want to host, that is HER choice.

Sounds to me like "Krista" didn't take care of her customer. A VERY GOOD customer. She is the one who dropped the ball here.

I wouldn't feel bad about it at all. If you do feel badly, perhaps just mention Krista and see what her reaction is. I am sure she already feels more of a connection to you because YOU are the one who MET HER NEEDS. That's what our job is!

If I was feeling guilty about "stealing" then I would explain the options. Tell her that you would love to have her on your team and that you would be getting financial incentives to train her - as would Krista. Explain that you don't want to take anything away from another consultant but that every recruit has a choice as to who she can sign with. Then sell yourself by telling her the support you would provide and how excited you would be to work with her.

If you're honest and explain everything upfront, you won't have any bad feelings if you see Krista or she calls you to complain or something. By taking a chance that she might choose Krista, you are letting Carey make an informed decision that will make her more excited and trust you more.

Hope she signs!

Diane - go for it! You would not be stealing her away from Krista!!!! LIke the others have said, Krista missed the boat!

WTG on being close to your director goal!!!!! Woo Hoo!

This is something my hospitality director told me once and I think she is absolutely right:

We don't choose our customers; our customers choose us.

Given the circumstances, could you imagine how awkward, uncomfortable, and probably unsuccessful the relationship would be between this woman and 'krista' if she signed under krista. (She'd probably go inactive and then you'd have to wait a year to sign her under you!;)

leggy

Nothin' new from me... I agree with what everyone else has said... GO FOR IT!!!

dianevill said:
Hi everyone,

NOW, you can probably guess what my dilemma is. Am I stealing Carey from Krista? Carey did say that she doesn't speak with Krista and will not go to any shows in which she's the consultant (Carey's crowd is still having shows with her). As much as I would want Carey on my team (I really believe she'd be awesome), I do not want that on my conscience, and I don't want a call from Krista accusing me of stealing either (I don't have any idea who this consultant is)...

What do you all think?

Thanks!

How long do you think Carey would stay with this company ~ searching for HER dream if she could not speak to her recruitor? I believe the bridge has already been burned between them. Would my feelings be hurt if she signed with you instead of me? SURE! but I would have to ask myself, "self - where did you let CAREY down" - not how dare she. Give yourself a pat on the back for keeping and re-gaining someones dream - Careys ;)

I sort of had this same thing happen with the lady that does my nails... she singed up last NOV under a different consultant ( she forgot that I sold ), her director would never help her,neither would her recruiter...... she called me and asked me questions. She only has catalogs sitting out in her salon doesn't' do active cooking shows... so it was shows here and there...... but still she was working on it... any ways... in March she needed a favor..... in submitting a show.....so I helped her out... by me submitting it for her using her consultant number etc from my PP...... but the commission was being putting into my account then I would write her a check for that amount... well then she got an email about going in active I told her it would behoove her if she just resigned and then resigned under me in a year from her resignation's date. So next march/April I will have another recruit!!! We have worked out a deal between her and I now, because I can't submit a show in my name and get commission for it but it was really meant for her..... and me claim it on my taxes... etc... so we have a product deal worked out depending on how much the show is .... it works because she gets orders ... oh ever other month something like that !!! But if someone else drops the ball it is up to us to pick up that ball that is dropped!!! GO FOR IT!!!

What is "Ethically Speaking..."?

"Ethically Speaking..." is a program created by Pampered Chef that focuses on promoting ethical and responsible business practices within the company and among its consultants.

Why is "Ethically Speaking..." important?

As a company, we believe in conducting business with integrity and transparency. "Ethically Speaking..." helps us uphold these values and ensures that our consultants are also following ethical practices in their businesses.

What types of topics are covered in "Ethically Speaking..."?

The program covers a wide range of topics such as anti-bribery and anti-corruption, fair competition, data privacy, and responsible sourcing. These topics are crucial for maintaining ethical standards in our business operations.

How can I access "Ethically Speaking..."?

"Ethically Speaking..." is accessible to all Pampered Chef consultants through our online training portal. Simply log in to your account and you will find the program under the "Training" section.

Is "Ethically Speaking..." mandatory for all consultants?

Yes, "Ethically Speaking..." is mandatory for all Pampered Chef consultants. As a company, we hold ourselves to high ethical standards, and we expect all of our consultants to do the same. Completion of the program is a requirement for maintaining active consultant status.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
tpchefpattie
  • AJPratt