• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I'm With You Anne! (Ajpratt)

In summary, Anne is having trouble recruiting new consultants and is experiencing the same problems as others. She recommends doing the 7 question interview, keeping consultants in the loop, and having fun shows.
ChefBeckyD
Gold Member
Okay - I just read this on another thread, and for once, I am starting a new thread instead of hijacking someone else's......

I titled this "I'm with you Anne" because I just read how she has(had) 4 on her team, but all are inactive.......and I am experiencing the same thing! I currently have 3 on my team, but at the end of this month, 2 will be going inactive, and the 3rd, while still in her 90 days, has not turned in anything this month either.....and is ignoring phone messages and emails. I am frustrated to the max with my quest to become a director, and really think I just need to take a break, and just have fun at my shows - I do a great show, I have no problems with bookings, but I cannot, for some reason, keep enough recruits active at the same time to qualify as a director.

I'm not even sure that any advice would help - I have an awesome director who is always encouraging, and I have listened to all the pros tell how they do it - but nothing seems to work for me......

I think that is the most frustrating part about recruiting! I have recruited 3 and all 3 became inactive fairly quickly. I guess the old adage is correct..."You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make it drink!"

First, don't sweat it. There is nothing you can do to make someone want it.Second, do the 7 question interview when talking with potential recruits - let me know if you need me to email it to you.Third, keep doing your fun shows and look for people YOU want to work with and why - and tell them!Fourth, get the Guide to Supporting New Consultants on the paperwork supply order form - FK95 - it has weekly support calls outlined with checklists and specific phrases for you to say. I tell all my new downline that it is my responsibility to do these with them, they take 15-20 minutes and it lets me know that they have everything they need in order to be successful. Then I give them a couple of day/time choices and ask which works best.Fifth - have fun!

Oh, and keep your current consultants in the loop - offer these calls to them to help you help them reach THEIR goals. And keep them on your emailing and mailing lists until they completely drop off and would need to resign - or keep them on until they ask to be taken off.

Becky, I love you! Thanks for being so brave to put this out there, too. I am thrilled and proud for those who have been successful with recruiting, but I am relieved to see that I'm not alone. I have decided that when I do sign new people, I will help them with an intro show, get them some sales and bookings. Like the saying goes, "No one with a full calendar quits" or something like that. And yes, I have learned huge lessons about them wanting it, because if they don't, you might as well move on.

Kate: Would you please post that list?

AJPratt said:
Becky, I love you! Thanks for being so brave to put this out there, too. I am thrilled and proud for those who have been successful with recruiting, but I am relieved to see that I'm not alone. I have decided that when I do sign new people, I will help them with an intro show, get them some sales and bookings. Like the saying goes, "No one with a full calendar quits" or something like that. And yes, I have learned huge lessons about them wanting it, because if they don't, you might as well move on.

Kate: Would you please post that list?

Anne - when I saw your post - which was actually about something else, but you just commented on your recruiting woes - it just totally struck a chord! It was like "Oh Anne - You are singing my song!"

You know how everyone says "Don't assume anything about someone when recruiting - and don't look for people just like yourself"? Well, I seriously think that may not work for me! My last 2 recruits were a retiree with lots of time on her hand, and a 19 yr old college student living at home, and working 2 part time jobs.......both of them completely flaked out on me!

You know what really ticks me off? Every one of these last 3 recruits has had leads and bookings from their own shows, where they signed, that I have given to them, and they never followed up on the bookings! Grrr! I could have done those shows! Now it's more of a cold call - or something like "Well I guess so&so isn't going to follow through, so would you like for me to do your show?"

Kate - I would like to see the list also - I do have the Guide to Supporting New Consultants.....but first, I would need for the new consultant to answer my calls!

I'm so totally in this boat, too! The one recruit under me who's still active is the one who's been working it. I've got one who fell off after a medical leave (I should call her...) and another who has been on and off since she signed in 2002.

I guess we all just need to, as Rae says, pull up our big girl panties and deal with it. By recruiting, and getting excitement high on our teams so nobody wants to go inactive! :)

You are not alone! I am in the same boat! I might be loosing my FD. I did have 3, 1 just quit due to medical reasons and 2nd one took a leave.
What really upsets me is the fence sitters, they are really into the business but when you call them back within 24 - 48 hours they seemed to ignore you.:mad:

With the fence sitters you have to be very blunt. I have one that wants to be a director but isn't doing the work. I asked her "Do you still want to become a director?" and she started working again. I'll post the 7 questions and the notes from the workshop.The 7 questions:Tracy Williams
The “7 Questions”Recruiting is EASY!!
(It REALLY is!)

• Breaking the Barriers
• Leading by Example
o Recruit “half of your Hosts” each month is a great place to start
 What is the average number our Directors are holding each month?
• (8 is what Directors usually tell me!)
• Then that would be 4 new consultants each month WITHOUT even considering other guests at shows.
o Once we consider those guests:
 8 shows x 10 in attendance = 80 people we have an audience with each month.
• WHY is it hard to consistently recruit? 

o It all starts at Host Coaching!
Most people talk themselves into, out of, and back into joining before they sign.
Right then & there when you are booking the show, say:
“Mary, I make it a point to tell all of my Hosts about the earning opportunities available to you as a Pampered Chef Consultant, because oftentimes Hosts like to use their show as a springboard to start their new business. I especially wanted to talk to you about it because … (insert personal compliment! ) Have you ever thought of doing anything like this before?”

If the answer is yes, or if the answer is no, proceed, and tell her you would love to have her on your team, and invite her to have a cup of coffee with you to hear more about it.
Remember, you are not asking her to sign right then & there, your INTENTION is to get the interview…set the appointment!

o THEN even if she decides NOT to join your team, you will have another opportunity to present it again the night of her show!

“Mary, I know when we last talked, the answer was no, but I still haven’t given up on you! Let me just show you something! First, look at the sales tonight…do you realize that I just made $XXX for hanging out & eating with you girls!? But here’s what I really want to know: Three of your friends booked shows here tonight…Are you going to go to those shows and spend money? (Of course the answer will be YES!) Then why not go out and MAKE money those nights!? I know you were thinking about it, and you know that you’ll never know if our opportunity is right for you, unless you TRY! What do you say? Let’s just do this! “
• Besides the Host, who else is there?
o What is a recruit lead?
 Fold the corners

• The interview
o Seven Questions
o Ask every potential consultant these 7 questions and then tell the Pampered Chef Story as it relates to his/her answers:

1. Why did you agree to see me today?
2. Have you ever done anything like this before?
3. What other work experiences have you had?
4. What clubs or organizations do you belong to? (hobbies)
5. How would your family feel if you were going to do something like this?
6. How much time would you have to give each week if you decided to do this?
7. How much money would you like to make?

• The close
o It’s only a REAL interview if you ask for the commitment
 Recruiting algebra
a. If “X” were not the problem, would you do this?
b. Then FIX “X”
 Scale of 1-10
a. On a scale of 1-10 (one being “no way.” 10 being “sign me up!” where would you say you are?
b. “What would it take to get you to 10?

Remember, once you secure the interview, you are 90% there!
“I know you are at least thinking about it, or we wouldn’t be talking so much about it…you’ll never know for sure until you try!”

Thanks, Kate!

Becky: I think it helps to have recruits that mesh with your personality, or that you can have a common ground with them.

I have the interviews and then they flake out. I guess better that they do it now then after I invest the time.

Anne - you have to ask them the recruiting math.

I will certainly do this at my next interview--whenever that will be. LOL

I see that I am not the only one who is having this problem... I have one loan recurit who ordered her kit in March of this year... to make matters worse she has DONE NOTHING at all and I work with her in the same office!! When I try and talk to her about it she kinda flakes me off... and uses the excuse that it is werid and hard becasue she works with me and my dad is her boss... CRY ME A RIVER!! I almost had a second recurit not sure what happen with that one.... other than she was really excited and I think someone in her family talked her out of it all together!! Can some hand me a few more bricks to bank my head against...?LOL

I was to have an interview today but she pushed it to Thursday. Her best friend has been missing for about week and she has been out looking for her. I think it has been on national news.

My other 3 recruits are all part time, they don't come to our meetings and I don't here from them unless I call them. Two of them should stay active, one will probably go inactive again this month.

I have another one hopefully will sign on in July. I won't take Directorship until I have at least 8 people active since they are all part time and I am part-time to full time.

Ann R.

HEY! I just checked my Indiv. Perf. Tracker on CC, and my on-again-off-again consultant submitted $289 this weekend, so she's active again! Woo-hoo!

Yea, Ann!!

Congratulations Ann!!!! Way to go--doing the happy dance with you but can't find your cool animated smiley.

I am in the same boat ladies!! I get sooo jealous when I hear of new consultants promoting within 6 months or so. They make it seem so easy. When I go to training or listen to successful recruiters talk it sounds so easy. Oh, just recruit 1 a month! Yeah, uhm okay! Whatever!!

I have been working on promoting now for almost 3 years. It is really stressful. You cannot make your people qualify or stay in business. That is the most frustrating thing!! Your promotion depends on THEM!! Of course, if I could just recruit enough people the flaky ones wouldn't matter so much. I try to be truthful, but I mean how hard of a decision is it people? The kit is $155 for $500 in products!! You make money even if you only do the necessary 4 shows you keep everything you've earned! Duh!! Fill out the form!!

I'm a little sleepy right now. I probably should not be talking! Also a little doped up on Hydrocodone (nasal surgery)!! But my points are valid DANG IT!!

I haven't gotten any one AT ALL interested. While I've been having great shows and getting new bookings, I have had not one single recruit (even when I personally ask each person). They don't want to put in the time to start their own business. I have a great customer who is hosting her THIRD show (each month she wants the host discount item) since I started (and she's personally paid over $700 in for products not counting her free stuff) but she already sells Arbonne and lia sophia and doesn't want to add or change.

ChefBeckyD said:
You know what really ticks me off? Every one of these last 3 recruits has had leads and bookings from their own shows, where they signed, that I have given to them, and they never followed up on the bookings! Grrr! I could have done those shows! Now it's more of a cold call - or something like "Well I guess so&so isn't going to follow through, so would you like for me to do your show?"

Maybe you should offer to do those shows with them as training -- and that way if they aren't interested in the follow up you still have the shows booked. If they do show up, you lose out on the sales of that show, but have a better supported consultant with more confidence so maybe they will stick around longer.

cmdtrgd said:
I tell all my new downline that it is my responsibility to do these with them, they take 15-20 minutes and it lets me know that they have everything they need in order to be successful. Then I give them a couple of day/time choices and ask which works best.

Wow, can you be MY director? Mine doesn't return my phone calls, doesn't respond to my email, doesn't follow through on what she promises (back in march to promote 3-2-1 she said that if we submitted her the names of our 15 contacts each week for a month we'd immediately be mailed out a prize -- I did every week yet never saw ANYTHING. She also announced that whoever in the cluster (although she wasn't clear on exactly what the cluster was -- hers or including our upline) sold the most in April with a minimum of 6 shows would win a complete cookware set. I've asked twice who won with no response at all), she's called me a TOTAL of 3 times since I signed in December and has only sent me a handful of emails. We scheduled a weekly call time, but she's never called once and has never been home or available when I've called her (so I can't even reschedule a time).

She moved last fall (to my area) so most of her cluster is about 90 miles from me and my original director that I was going to sign under was going inactive and wanted me to have more local support (ha ha ha) so referred me to my current director. She told me she was trying to build a new cluster in my area, but apparently I don't matter. Which is fine -- thanks to you all here, I'm doing fine on my own without any support.

I sold $7000 in my first 90 days, but didn't get any bit of recognition or support or anything.

I did get an email from her asking if I wanted to walk in July as a director since she's trying to make it to the next level -- I replies that I wasn't having much success with recruiting, but got no response from her on that at all. (Certainly no tips or help). It honestly makes me feel really used (I'm worth talking to to see if she can get me to director so that she can make her next level, but if it won't be easy for her to bump me up then I'm not worth the time... but she can earn overrides and director incentives on my commission without giving me any support at all).

Sigh... (guess it shows me what NOT to do if I ever make director).:eek:

My 2 recruits are just like me. They joined for the products because they love them and want a discount. My first recruit does just enough to stay active and my second recruit is still in her first 90 days. I can't complain about them because they are doing what they want to do...that is the best part of this job. And personally, I don't do 1250 every month, so their small sales aren't hurting me. Some of us are just hobbiest. Unfortunatly, we hobbiest do not help out our recruiters very much. I guess that is why they tell us to recruit, recruit, recruit...LOL You guys don't give up on us. Just keep recruiting and staying in touch with your downline. You never know when our circumstances will change...Life Happens.

Shawnna--I don't diss the hobbyists. I think that the way recognition and stuff is doled out it favors recruiters. I was telling my husband the other day that I wish you got more recognition for having good parties and getting lots of bookings (and sales) because I do that. I started my business to get the products for FREE. That is still why I am in business and why I want to promote to Director. I want that big ole box of FREE products each season.

There is nothing wrong with people who are only doing 1 show a month or 1 show every other month. When you are struggling to promote and/or recruit it just becomes a little frustrating when those are the only PCers you can attrack. It would be nice to have a mixed bag, so that you don't put undo pressure on your hobbyists. I want everyone to work at their level of comfort. I just need to find 3-4 people who are comfortable working more consistently. Ya know?!

I hear ya....I so wanted directorship by conference. But, I've yet to even sign one:eek: I've taken part of every training I can; but getting these people that say they're interested to actually sign is my struggle. I just can't get them to see there's nothing to lose...I'm staying positive though. I know it will happen in due time. I think maybe I've been focusing too much on it maybe...

Lacy- are you taking "Getting to Yes" at conference? That workshop will probably give you some good tips.

chefann said:
Lacy- are you taking "Getting to Yes" at conference? That workshop will probably give you some good tips.
Yes, I am:)

That's a step in the right direction- to know your shortcomings and do something to get past them. :)

I'm taking "From Maybe to Yes" because I have the same problem - interest, but no commitment from people.

chefann said:
That's a step in the right direction- to know your shortcomings and do something to get past them. :)

I'm taking "From Maybe to Yes" because I have the same problem - interest, but no commitment from people.

Shoot! I can't even remember which workshops I signed up for - I hope I signed up for this one!

Okay - just went and checked......I knew I signed up for a recruiting workshop, but couldn't remember which one - but I signed up for the other one - Sell The Dream - hopefully that one will be just as beneficial!

Becky- go to CC, then click on Conference and Register like you still need to register for classes. Keep going, and you'll get to a screen where it shows you what you already registered for.

Hey- you posted while I was typing!
:p

chefann said:
Becky- go to CC, then click on Conference and Register like you still need to register for classes. Keep going, and you'll get to a screen where it shows you what you already registered for.

See my post just above yours!;)

Laura: You are doing an awesome job as a new consultant! I have to say that my director does recognize people for all sorts of things, which is really great. I thought I had a crappy month and wound up getting an award for something. It was really nice!

I signed up for every recruiting workshop I could.

ChekKearns: I couldn't agree more. I would love to have a bunch of hobbyists and a couple "career" consultants to balance out. Right now I have 4 hobbyists and they are all technically inactive. Makes promoting almost impossible. I try not to focus on me, I try to focus on why this would be good for them, but people are suspicious, ya know? Like its too good to be true.

Hey Ann - cut it out!

I agree with you, Anne.

Right now, my Director has a few of us who are fairly consistent (I'm the least consistent of the 3), plus some "every-other-month"-ers, and a couple who are in and out. The consistent people give her peace of mind about reaching her required volumes and team size, while the other folks are almost the frills - not something you expect, but a little extra on the top. The hobbyists can also look up to the consistent folks and see people who are like them: SAHM, or those with full-time jobs, and see that it is possible to turn in something every month.

Interestingly, the 3 of us who are most consistent are also the 3 long-timers in the cluster. Of the 15 or so people who were in the cluster when I signed, we're the only 3 left. The every-other-month people are the next group for longevity, and then the "when I have something, I'll turn it in" people.

I would say, in my cluster, I am not the highest sales, but probably the most consistent, and my director knows I'm not going anywhere. I took March off because of my biz plans but I do 2 shows a month and usually wind up in the $1000 range.

AJPratt said:
Laura: You are doing an awesome job as a new consultant! I have to say that my director does recognize people for all sorts of things, which is really great. I thought I had a crappy month and wound up getting an award for something. It was really nice!

Thanks -- when I ignore how great other people's directors seem to be I'm satisfied -- I'm meeting most of my goals and having fun. It can be a little discouraging sometimes to know that it was such a big deal to make me switch directors so that I'd have more support and then not have any at all.

chefann said:
I agree with you, Anne.

Right now, my Director has a few of us who are fairly consistent (I'm the least consistent of the 3), plus some "every-other-month"-ers, and a couple who are in and out. The consistent people give her peace of mind about reaching her required volumes and team size, while the other folks are almost the frills - not something you expect, but a little extra on the top. The hobbyists can also look up to the consistent folks and see people who are like them: SAHM, or those with full-time jobs, and see that it is possible to turn in something every month.

Interestingly, the 3 of us who are most consistent are also the 3 long-timers in the cluster. Of the 15 or so people who were in the cluster when I signed, we're the only 3 left. The every-other-month people are the next group for longevity, and then the "when I have something, I'll turn it in" people.

I had lunch with Tracy Williams last week (in case you haven't met her she's one of the sales managers at HO and she is awesome!) Anyhow, we were talking about recruiting and keeping team members and how frusterating it is when you first begin recruiting and strive for Directorship. Anyhow, she told me an interesting little factoid and I can't remember it exactly but it is someting like this. She said it's all in the numbers (yeah, we know that part....) But what I liked was this part, she said to think of it in the number "10"

Out of 10 recruits:
3 will probably quit before they qualify
3 will qualify, but will be very inconsistent
3 will be steady producers
1 will be a superstar

pamperedlinda said:
Out of 10 recruits:
1 will be a superstar
I can see that. Of the 3 people I've recruited, I've got one in each of the top 3 categories. :)

Of the 12 that I have recruited - they are all either in the first or 2nd categories!

Myself - I am consistently the top producer in my Director's cluster - most shows per month, highest show avg., most bookings, etc......but it's a small cluster w/ most consultants just PT or hobbiests. There are only 4 of us who consistently come to meetings & do more than 1-2 shows every month.

oh the woes of the almost theres! As an almost fifth year almost there...I am so with y'all! Once upon a time, I was SOOOO close. Then my Director moved and I took over the cluster and focused my energy on the cluster and not MY team. Needless to say.....no Directorship for me. Then one of my girls promoted past me right before I moved back to the states and I lost her downline. Bummer huh?
It will come...I have faith. Maybe not this year but I am shooting to promote by Leadership so that when I wear my 5 year pin, I can add my Director ribbon and hopefully get over 100,000 for my career club!

erinyourpclady said:
oh the woes of the almost theres! As an almost fifth year almost there...I am so with y'all! Once upon a time, I was SOOOO close. Then my Director moved and I took over the cluster and focused my energy on the cluster and not MY team. Needless to say.....no Directorship for me. Then one of my girls promoted past me right before I moved back to the states and I lost her downline. Bummer huh?
It will come...I have faith. Maybe not this year but I am shooting to promote by Leadership so that when I wear my 5 year pin, I can add my Director ribbon and hopefully get over 100,000 for my career club!

Erin,
It sounds like we are about in the same place! I am imagining that by Leadership, I will have my 5 yr pin(Ok - that ones a "Gimme"), and possibly my 100,000 Club (At $80K right now)....and I would so love to add a Director Ribbon to that! First I have to concentrate on gaining back my FD status! I am all signed up for Leadership Conf. Club, and the money is being taken out every month - I would not like to have to ask for it all back because I don't qualify for Leadership.........

ChefBeckyD said:
Erin,
It sounds like we are about in the same place! I am imagining that by Leadership, I will have my 5 yr pin(Ok - that ones a "Gimme"), and possibly my 100,000 Club (At $80K right now)....and I would so love to add a Director Ribbon to that! First I have to concentrate on gaining back my FD status! I am all signed up for Leadership Conf. Club, and the money is being taken out every month - I would not like to have to ask for it all back because I don't qualify for Leadership.........

I forgot to add - 9 months after I started w/ PC, I had 5 people on my team, and was just getting ready for "The Call" for Directorship.....but at that time I was also experiencing a very difficult pregnancy, and was in and out of the hospital, and on bedrest....and I let my exhaustion and stress, and hormones take over, and let it all slip away - I stayed active, but just barely......so I have ALMOST tasted success - like you Erin!

ivykeep said:
Wow, can you be MY director? Mine doesn't return my phone calls, doesn't respond to my email, doesn't follow through on what she promises (back in march to promote 3-2-1 she said that if we submitted her the names of our 15 contacts each week for a month we'd immediately be mailed out a prize -- I did every week yet never saw ANYTHING. She also announced that whoever in the cluster (although she wasn't clear on exactly what the cluster was -- hers or including our upline) sold the most in April with a minimum of 6 shows would win a complete cookware set. I've asked twice who won with no response at all), she's called me a TOTAL of 3 times since I signed in December and has only sent me a handful of emails. We scheduled a weekly call time, but she's never called once and has never been home or available when I've called her (so I can't even reschedule a time).

She moved last fall (to my area) so most of her cluster is about 90 miles from me and my original director that I was going to sign under was going inactive and wanted me to have more local support (ha ha ha) so referred me to my current director. She told me she was trying to build a new cluster in my area, but apparently I don't matter. Which is fine -- thanks to you all here, I'm doing fine on my own without any support.

I sold $7000 in my first 90 days, but didn't get any bit of recognition or support or anything.

I did get an email from her asking if I wanted to walk in July as a director since she's trying to make it to the next level -- I replies that I wasn't having much success with recruiting, but got no response from her on that at all. (Certainly no tips or help). It honestly makes me feel really used (I'm worth talking to to see if she can get me to director so that she can make her next level, but if it won't be easy for her to bump me up then I'm not worth the time... but she can earn overrides and director incentives on my commission without giving me any support at all).

Sigh... (guess it shows me what NOT to do if I ever make director).:eek:

Feel your pain! And, like you I come to CS for support. I've actually been looking for a hospitality even though my own cluster meets only 25 minutes from me! I'm struggling to try to promote as well. So far I have only 1 recruit, BUT she did qualify this weekend (in her 1st 30 days:D ) and she really likes doing this, so hopefully.........
I have been listening to training CD's until I think I have them memorized, but I still am not feeling confident enough to "just ask everyone!" My director was offering a step up to director class, but will not return my emails/phone calls, so I guess she has found someone else to help her move along at a faster pace. We CAN do this, and honestly it feels good to see so many of you having the same struggles (not in a bad way). It makes it more "real". That it is not JUST me. But it is hard to see so many people start out and get those 3-4 in ONE month!!! UGHHHHH! Happy for them, but I want just a little too! Ok, whining is over! :eek:

pamperedlinda said:
But what I liked was this part, she said to think of it in the number "10"

Out of 10 recruits:
1 will be a superstar

Well that certainly puts it into perspective how many I have to recruit. I am glad I got 2 out of the first, 1 out of the second and one out of the last out of the way. LOL

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• PC Mom 55
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
chefashleigh
  • Bren706
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
cookingwithlove
  • PamperedK