• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Fear of Becoming a Director: My Journey and Lessons Learned | CS Blog

whatever, and not follow up. We need to be consistent in our follow up and let people know what is expected of them. If we want them to stay with us, we need to be clear and concise with what that involves.
Kathytnt
I know this is a weird thing to post but does anyone find the thought of becoming a director a little ovewhelming? I know many people have this goal but I guess I worry about being a good director and taking good care of my recruits etc.
Perhaps there is some fear of failure hiding in there.
Perhaps this is why I have trouble picking up the phone

Just thought I would share - Recruit #1 was a little tough on me. Although he only did one catalog show and never returned e-mails or phone calls he slammed me for not being supportive. Mind you he signed up from my first show and he knew my mother was very, very ill. Sent me a mean e-mail that he had decided to quit due to our (allegedly me and my director) lack of support the same weekend my mother died. I feel we did all we could. Continually trying to help him with ideas on show bookings etc. but he wasn't doing his part and he choose to blame us. You can't make someone succeed.

I do have recruit #2 qualified and recruit #3 just did her first show and did an awesome job. So I do have some good recruiting experiences.

Just wanted to share my concerns and get feedback from my wonderful CS crew

I have my CS button and looking forward to meeting all of you!!

Kathy - let recruit 1 go...obviously he needed a scapegoat for him not being able to make a go at PC! Work with your director NOW on what s/he does to support and take care of her downline. Have her train you in that and then start doing it yourself. If you wait until you are a director, it IS overwhelming!

Since I re-promoted I have gotten my conference schedule changed so that I am now taking the the Supporting consultants class and my director is awesome and she is helping me. I did let her know how I felt about all this when we talked last week.

I have developed a lot more confidence since I started this business and I know that I will continue to as I learn more and work with more people.

my opinionlet recruit #1 go...I had a similar experience with one of mine years ago and that is just someone you would not have wanted to work with anyway. As for the fear of being a Director-you would be crazy not to be a little worried! I think that the best advice I got was to NOT promote just because I had my 5. I waited until I had 8. It helped to not have the pressure of thinking "what if one leaves??" The other advice my Director gave me was to be sure your sales were at least $3000 a month. Once you promote, your cluster, including you, have to sell over $4,000/month. That is a requirement that you don't want to have to try to maintain alone or with 1 other person. Not everyone is going to be a $1,250+ kind of consultant. Once you can ease your mind about these 2 things, it really is easier. I found that it took me a good year to even feel like a Director. You really come into it when it is time! There is so much out there from PC about Directorship and the benefits and the help you get is amazing! Good Luck!

I am not sure how I can consistently do $3000 a month on my own. I am averaging about $1200 a month I think Hit 15K just before my year mark with two month of just about 0 dollars.

monthly salesI am certainly not consistent at it myself, but I think there are some ways to get yourself close. Up your show schedule...doing more shows is the key to this whole business. You get more sales, are in front of more people and can share all that we offer regularly so that you fell confident. At 8 shows/month, with a show average of $400, that's $3,200/month! Think you can't do or get 8 shows a month? CALL!!!! If someone has ever shown interest, call. If you are not making customer care calls, call. It will become habit then to pick up the phone and do these things. Just a few calls a day is easy. try to remember why you chose PC. Do you really want life to go back to the way it was before this...I know I sure don't! :D
THe worst dis-service we do to ourselves is to think we are being pushy by offering someone a part of our business, be it products, the opportunity or just a recipe! You are being pushy if you make the decision for them by not even asking.

OK-go get off the computer and GET ON THE PHONE!!! Me, too!;)

When I was close to directorship I worried a lot about that $4000. My team didn't do that much in sales and I couldn't see how I would manage it. I usually do $2500+ on my own but some months it's $1500 (and sometimes $4-5000:D ). My director said not to worry. It will be there. And it was. In the two years since I promoted I only had one month that we didn't reach $4000. That was this January. I had 10 shows scheduled but only had ONE hold and my team didn't do much better.

As a director you do need to be consistant. That is why future directors don't get overrides unless they have $1250 in sales in a month - to create good habits. A director should strive to be as close to $4000 as she/he can so she/he is never tempted to put pressure on the team and also to be a good role-model for the team. Of course we don't always meet that goal but it is a good goal to achieve for.

One way to keep the team sales up is to always be looking for the next recruit. Most new recruits are excited and want those bonuses so their sales can make the difference - especially if you are a small team. I recruited 3 since January and have a couple others that are saying they will join us in the next few months. Fresh consultants add excitement to the team and replace those that are just hanging on or are secretly planning on going inactive (they never tell the director). 1/3 coming, 1/3 staying, 1/3 leaving.

ok, hope to not hijack the thread, but my director really wants me to promote to director b/4 conference. I have 3, 4th getting ready to sign. I have a feeling one is gone inactive so that puts me back to 3.

Now, one of my recruits has just recruited her second. My director said that once I make director, if one goes inactive, I still have that downline that is considered mine and I wouldn't lose directorship. Is that the case?

I too worry about the team sales and inactive's when promoting. But my plan is to always recruit no matter how many I have on my team.

Hope this makes sense.

To promote you have to have 5 personally recruited, qualified, active consultants. To keep it, you only have to have 5 active consultants in your total downline.

No pressure allowedYou should not promote for the benefit of anyone other than yourself. Your director will not be the one holding your shows and helping your team, so don't do it for her/him. your spouse isn't going to be the one sweating bullets if the team sales are only $2,000, so don't do it for him/her! DO IT FOR YOU and WHEN you feel it's time! No one can make that decision for you and you shouldn't feel pressure to do it.
Off my high horse now.....:D

My concern is sweating it every month because then my hubby will be sweating it too - I wear my heart on my sleeve type of person

I swear it will happen when it is supposed to. That does not mean to not go out there and work for it, but don't sweat it now-use that energy to build your team and make those sales!

We had a really good training yesterday on asking and inviting Great analogy

A lady is talking to her neighbor and talking about the wondeful delicious chocolate chip cookies she just baked.

She sees her friend the next day and asks her why she did come by to try the chocolate chip cookies

Her friend says that she never invited her to try the cookies only told her about them.

I am working on inviting everyone.

you go girl! I have heard that story before and it really puts into perspective why we have to ask!

1. What inspired you to write about your journey of overcoming fear as a director?

I wanted to share my experience and lessons learned with others who may be facing similar challenges. Writing about it also helped me reflect on my journey and solidify my learnings.

2. How did you manage to overcome your fear as a director?

It was a combination of self-reflection, seeking support and guidance from mentors, and continuously pushing myself out of my comfort zone. I also learned to embrace failure as a learning opportunity and to trust in my abilities.

3. What are some common fears that aspiring directors face?

Some common fears include fear of failure, fear of not being qualified enough, fear of making tough decisions, and fear of being judged by others.

4. What advice do you have for someone who wants to become a director but is held back by fear?

My advice would be to acknowledge and address your fears, seek support from mentors and colleagues, and continuously challenge yourself to step out of your comfort zone. Remember that failure is a part of the journey and it's important to trust in your abilities.

5. What do you hope readers will take away from your blog post?

I hope readers will gain insight and inspiration from my journey and use it to overcome their own fears and achieve their goals as a director. I also hope to encourage a sense of community and support among aspiring directors.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
sharalam
  • jenwallace
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
jenwallace
  • Kitchen2u