• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Should I Call the Guy Who Called About My Ad at 4am?

In summary, the conversation was about placing a successful recruiting ad in the local paper and receiving multiple responses, including a call at 4am. The group discussed whether or not to call the early caller back and shared tips for wording the ad. The original poster also shared her success with using the ad and her retention of recruits.
pchefkristin
So, every once in a while I will place a recruiting ad. It has always been successful to me, so I thought what the heck, I would do it again.
My ad ran this weekend in our local shopper and I had a wonderful sounding woman call yesterday who I am meeting up with tomorrow! Yeah me!

(the paper doesnt "Officially" come out until today) I also got another call on the ad. At FOUR OCLOCK THIS MORNING! :eek: The guy was like, "Yes, I am calling about the ad in the paper." I could have handled it a bit better, since I answered the phone, still asleep, "DUDE! It is four in the morning! (IN a not so pleasant voice)" He said he was sorry and added, "I thought this was an answering service". :confused: Its only got MY personal phone # and email listed... why in the world?!

So, should I call him back? I mean, he did make me upset, but it shows the guy has ambition to be calling as soon as the paper hits the sidewalks! What do you all think? And truly, do you think the guy would want to work with me after I was so caddy to him on the phone? Truly... who calls anyone at 4am?? I am torn!

Call him back and apologize. We are all human and not nice until we have coffee! LOL!

Good luck!!!

I say call him back- Maybe at 4 AM?

Kristin, What to you put in your ad- I have been thinking about doing this. I have a friend who works at our local paper, as the grafic artist, and she will set one up for me, I just never know what to put in it.

Great responses on your ad! Did you use the Merrill ad generator?
I'd call him back later & apologize for him catching you off guard. Let us know what happens:)

I am also curious how you worder your ad. Please share!!

My ad reads:

If you love your boss, and enjoy working 9-5 for someone else for less than your worth, THEN DO NOT CALL ME! However, if you have ever thought of owning your own business, setting your own hours, getting praised on a weekly basis and earning a free trip each year then you owe it to yourself to try a Pampered Chef apron on for size!
Looking for team players to work the hours YOU want to work. LOW start up cost with TONS of incentives! Whether you want to work one day a month for discounted products or wish to make a career for yourself, The Pampered Chef will fit any lifestyle.
My name, title
phone #s and email/website info

I did call the guy this morning just before church, but oddly, he did not answer the phone. Told him I was sorry for being so short with him, but admire his enthusiasm. I would love to chat more, if he can call before 9pm any night this week. Will keep you all posted on those results! Hehehe...

So, curious Kristin - what type of response and retention do you usually get? How often do you run this?

janetupnorth said:
So, curious Kristin - what type of response and retention do you usually get? How often do you run this?

It ranges. The most I have gotten with the ad were four recruits. That was quite some time ago, when I was still in my first year actually. I have been in over 3 years now, and up until just recently had two of the four still with me. (Did I mention I had the most fertile team on the planet? I lost nearly half of my team last year to births of babies)

The last few times I have gotten just one or two, but I think its certainly worth it. I usually run an ad twice a year, but not neccessarily the same wording each time. I like to do a New Years Resolution ad as well.

That really isn't bad at all!

How large an area does the ad cover - Are yo uin a couple of small towns, a large town or a big city?

Last edited:
I love how you worded it:)

I like it!!!

But... Can you actually say Pampered Chef in your ads?

chefkristin said:
I like it!!!

But... Can you actually say Pampered Chef in your ads?

I have the circled R in the ad... as it is a registered trademark. I have always put PC in the ad... as long as it is in a local paper, you are good to go with it.

Kathytnt said:
How large an area does the ad cover - Are yo uin a couple of small towns, a large town or a big city?

I am in a small town. When I run the ads it is usually for my county or mine and two surrounding, so most of those contacts will be in close proximity to my location. It is in the local shopper, which goes to every household in my area. I have tried our local weekly paper (that is how podunk small town I am) and just didnt get the results I have from the weekly shopper.

lacychef said:
I love how you worded it:)

:D Thanks Lacy! Each time any of my team members started the ad the way I just did, they always get good results too. So far I have three recruit packages going out today, and am going to call each person to see if they want to meet for coffe and dessert, on me, next week to talk more.

:) Awesome! I do have an idea why that man called you at 4am. I have looked in the paper before and seen ads that say similar things as your ad, such as, don't like your job, interested in a new career, want to work on your terms for yourself....and on and on....I have called a couple of those. Most are pre-recorded messages where you listen for what seems forever and then you can leave a message. In fact, before I started PC, I called and left a message on one of those. It did not say what kind of company or anything. The man who called back sold brooms! And wanted me to sell them.....:eek: So, maybe that was what he was expecting at 4am.

Do you put the ad in the business opportunity section or the help wanted section?

I live in a really small twon and I never thought about that... though I see one occusionally for Avon.. so what would it hrut right???

The Avon people seem to spend a fortune Their start up is cheap but dang - New catalogs and samples all the time - How do they make any money??

They dont' that is the problem....... and they just plain annoy me, That would really bite if I had to put catalogs every stinking week!! Wait a sec I used to be one of those people.. and their training isnt' very good either....LOL

I love the wording Kristen! I checked back in the summer here and an ad in my local paper was very expensive. I have forgotten the price but it was way too much for a 3 day ad which is the least you can run it. I dont know how much the Shopper ads are really read here. I may tweek your wording a little and try it on something to post at the grocery store on the community bulletin board. I've gotten parties that way!

I'm so glad that it not only me with the most fertile team on the planet.

I had one girl that had twins and decided to leave ( and she really had good partys for a while) , then I had a girl that her husband was in the navy she decided to adopt twins and she also left after a while. so the running joke is that if you want to get pergo or if you have a fertiliy problem then I should have you sign with me

I think I may look into adds too thanks

Kathytnt said:
Do you put the ad in the business opportunity section or the help wanted section?

I have put it in both at one point or another and have seen no difference between the two sections

chef131doreen said:
I'm so glad that it not only me with the most fertile team on the planet.

I had one girl that had twins and decided to leave ( and she really had good partys for a while) , then I had a girl that her husband was in the navy she decided to adopt twins and she also left after a while. so the running joke is that if you want to get pergo or if you have a fertiliy problem then I should have you sign with me

I think I may look into adds too thanks

Doreen~
I lost 10 girls to pregnancys last year! :eek: But, on the plus side, I know some of them will come back when things settle down. I sure do miss having them on the team, but I am now a "PC Aunt" to some pretty beautiful little babies!
LOL... I too toted my team as a sure thing if you wanted to get pregnant!

Maybe the guy works nights? If that is the case - than by the time you called him - he would have been in bed asleep!

We don't have a shopper like that in our area - I have a paper here that covers several towns that I am considering a trial run

How often do you run the ad??

Kathytnt said:
We don't have a shopper like that in our area - I have a paper here that covers several towns that I am considering a trial run

How often do you run the ad??

When ever my recruiting is down. Mostly just two or three times a year, but I have heard of many people who know someone on the paper who offers discounts, and there maybe a discount if you consistantly run for so many weeks out of the year.

Can consultants put ads in the paper? I thought only directors could. If consultants can, then i think i might do one if you have such good results. I dont have any recruits so anything would be great! I'm working on my first one right now and looking for informatin to send her.

Ouch - I even trimmed the ad a bit and they quote on the paper I talked to was asking over $100 for the ad. Now it is a paper that cover several mid sized cities. I think I might have to try something shorter

Kathytnt said:
Ouch - I even trimmed the ad a bit and they quote on the paper I talked to was asking over $100 for the ad. Now it is a paper that cover several mid sized cities. I think I might have to try something shorter

:eek: That ad ran me $42 for one week.... course, even at county wide, we are lots of small towns.

I just placed the Wedding Registry ad from Merril in a local paper (300,000 get it) and it cost me $190.00~OUCH! I didn't know that we were allowed to create our own, I never would have used Merrills ad, I didn't like it that much. I thought we had to use theirs?

pchefkristin said:
:eek: That ad ran me $42 for one week.... course, even at county wide, we are lots of small towns.
Is your paper like the "Pennysaver"? or just the Town paper?

Check for monthly papers (rather than weeklies). Stop by your local library, they often have them sitting in the lobby (generally these are freebies). We have one publisher that does two monthly (the HoCoMo Freddies and the MD 108 advertiser) and their classified ads (max 35 words) cost $7 per issue to run.

What is the cost of putting your ad in? So if you tell them (the paper) to put the circle R in the ad, it's okay to put in? That will cover your butt then? I've thought about it but just haven't done it since I thought I'd put the wrong thing in and then be in trouble.

HOLY COW!

I just called a local paper and it is $176.64 for 4wks! Is that good? The lady was extremely helpful and she actually helped me edit it down. The original which is what Kristin had was going to be $362.96!

Here is what she recommended:

Looking for team players! Own your own business, set your own hrs, wkly recognition and earn a free trip each yr. Try The Pampered Chef® apron on for size!
low start up cost w/tons of incentives!
Rebecca,Ind Consultant
(503) 307-8879
[email protected]

I Put an ad in our local weekly paper for 2 weeks. The first paper comes out today. It cost me $75. a week, and it actually coveres 2 communities. I am anxious to see what results I get. I think I will schedule a "Come and See" night here at my home to have interested people come to see what we are all about. Have any of you done somehting like this?

I was thinking the same thing. Having an information night and possibly signing people at that time would be good. I was planning on giving everyone a small door prize, playing one of the new dvd's about the opportunity and then explaining everything about PC. Maybe even give $10 off the kit if they sign that night? Or a package of catalogs with order forms?
OOH! I just remembered. Marna Ross gives out $10 coupons with a SB to those who are thinking of signing.

I thought I had seen these earlier in a weekly bites. It is perfect for when we do get responses for our ads. I also did the math and it is not a bad price for the 4wk ad. The other paper I was looking into is more than half that for one day. I may just do both. Who knows?

Anyway, I saw the sampling the pampered chef files on CC/downloads and thought I would use this as a guideline for when I invite the potential recruits to my home.

Attachments

• sampling_invite.pdf
    230.7 KB · Views: 340
  • sampling_planner.pdf
    406.6 KB · Views: 318
pchefkristin said:
My ad reads:

If you love your boss, and enjoy working 9-5 for someone else for less than your worth, THEN DO NOT CALL ME! However, if you have ever thought of owning your own business, setting your own hours, getting praised on a weekly basis and earning a free trip each year then you owe it to yourself to try a Pampered Chef apron on for size!
Looking for team players to work the hours YOU want to work. LOW start up cost with TONS of incentives! Whether you want to work one day a month for discounted products or wish to make a career for yourself, The Pampered Chef will fit any lifestyle.
My name, title
phone #s and email/website info

I did call the guy this morning just before church, but oddly, he did not answer the phone. Told him I was sorry for being so short with him, but admire his enthusiasm. I would love to chat more, if he can call before 9pm any night this week. Will keep you all posted on those results! Hehehe...

Kristin, I'm glad you called him back. Good for you. I'm curious about how much that awesome ad costs you, and how many interested people, who have never heard of PC havew called you? I have placed ads in the past that get sooo many random responses (people thinking I'm looking for a chef, do catering, have no clue).

I have put ads in the local paper in the past and have not had any real response. In 4 runs of my ad I made appointments with 3 people and 2 stood me up and the one wanted a get rich quick job. I prefer to spend my advertizing dollars in booths or other ways that I can be face to face.

I also put an ad in the local newcomer booklet and have not had one call from that.

Well, I tried it. I did cut it down some to save on cost. Now, I can't wait to see if there will be any responses. It was very inexpensive for a weekly paper.

Kathytnt said:

Here's one I have placed and the cost:

"Earn $100 for each 2-3 hour night, work as many nights as you wish, full-P/T to save for a debt-free holiday season! Flexible hours, Pampered Chef home-based business. Must be at least 18. Ask me how Susan 860-916-7752. www.pamperedchef.biz/susangentile

$21 for 20 words, then 10-cents per ad

1. Should I call the guy who called about my ad at 4am?

It's ultimately up to you, but here are a few things to consider before making a decision:

• The guy may have just made a mistake and didn't realize the time.
  • He may have a different schedule and thought 4am was an appropriate time to call.
  • Calling him back could potentially lead to a successful recruitment.
  • Not calling him back could potentially mean missing out on a great candidate.

2. Why did the guy call at 4am?

There could be a few reasons for this:

• He may have a different schedule and thought it was an appropriate time to call.
  • He may have made a mistake and didn't realize the time.
  • He may have thought your ad was an answering service and didn't realize it was your personal number.

3. Should I be upset that the guy called at 4am?

It's understandable to be a little annoyed by the early hour, but it's important to keep in mind that it may have just been a mistake or a misunderstanding. It's ultimately up to you to decide if you want to give the guy a chance by calling him back.

4. Will the guy still want to work with me after I was rude to him on the phone?

It's hard to say for sure, but it's possible that he will still be interested in working with you. It's important to apologize and explain the situation if you do decide to call him back. Showing professionalism and understanding can go a long way in building a potential working relationship.

5. Why would someone call at 4am for a job ad?

As mentioned before, the person may have a different schedule and thought it was an appropriate time to call. They may also have a sense of urgency or eagerness to secure a job opportunity. It's important to keep an open mind and consider all possibilities before making a decision on whether or not to call the person back.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• chefkathy
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
cincychef
  • lterman
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • PCJenni