• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

The Attitude of a Leader: Mastering Direct Sales Success

In summary, Deb Bixler is a successful direct sales consultant and speaker who has achieved numerous successes in her career.
Deb Bixler
Gold Member
The Attitude Of A Leader

The single most important thing for any business is the attitude of the leader. In direct sales you are your company’s CEO. The attitude of the leader is always projected down to the ranks of the company. Home businesses and direct sales are no exception. Whatever your attitude is, it will project down to your clients or customers. Do you project an attitude of need or an attitude to lead? Think about these questions:

• When some one says a definitive no, do you keep asking?
• Have you ever said “do a show for me”
• Have you ever said “you owe me one!”
• Have you ever tricked someone into hosting a show?
• Are you frequently persuading people to have shows?
• Do you tell people that it is really easy to make money with your opportunity?
• Do you worry about competition?
• Are you always hoping for another booking?

If you answered yes to more than one of the above questions, then chances are you are operating from a point of need as opposed to the point of a leader.

Real estate agents are in a business very similar to direct sales and home party plans. They generate there clients through network marketing and referral programs. Have you ever heard a real estate agent ask “Will you list your house for me?” or say “You owe me one… Let me list your house!” No, if a real estate agent acts from a needy point of view, he or she will not be in business long. Direct sales consultant’s who operate from a state of need are always needy. When you need someone to host a show, you will always need someone to host a show. When you need them to have a show or sign up for your opportunity or services or you need their referral to be successful then, then they put up a wall.

Needers convince, leaders qualify. Needers persuade, leaders sort. Needers trick, leaders attract. Needers say easy, leaders say it takes work and may be hard. Needers have fear, leaders have determination and commitment. Needers focus on lack or what they do not have, leaders focus on positive and gratitude. Needers hope that things will go their way, leaders have conviction. Needers give and take, leaders give and receive . Needers worry about competition, leaders use collaboration. Needers say I can’t, leaders say how can I.

When you have the attitude of success you will attract all the business you need. When you are positioned as a success with or without them, then and only then you will attract the people who desire your services. Develop the attitude of a leader by learning to qualify your leads, and sort them out. Stay committed to your quest without fear. You can only fail by quitting. All good things involve risk and commitment will get you there. Stay focused on the things that are good in your life and your business and you will be able to give and receive. Collaborate with other network marketers in your company and in other companies. Collaboration compounds your positive results. Always look for the solution rather than the problem. A success attitude will guarantee your success! When you a success attitude, the attitude of a leader, you will attract the forces to use to attain your goals.

thanks for sharing........what a great thing to read first thing this morning!

Thanks for sharing Deb! Just what I needed.

Ann R.

This is great if it isn't spam...

ETA: Deb Bixler is a legitimate consultant, speaker and trainer. I just wanted to post that for the record. I didn't want to delete or edit my post to the point that the other posts in this thread wouldn't make any sense. Hey, when I'm worng, I'm wrong!

Last edited:
AJPratt said:
This is great if it isn't spam...

Hmmm, all of a sudden "Deb Bixler" is posting some great stuff....but I wondered to if it was a marketing scheme to promote her business....After checking out her links, I don't think she is a PC consultant....

I don't have anything against her... just that I've never seen any of the other speakers post on these threads.

From her site...
Deb Bixler retired from the corporate world in 1999 to enjoy life as an entrepreneur. In the first 9 months as a direct seller she built a sales team and show schedule which provided her with an income capable of replacing her corporate business salary of $80,000 per year. Deb achieved the top honors offered in her company in personal sales every year for 7 years in a row and earned the President’s Club 5 of those 7 years. This prestigious award goes to only the top 20 of the 67,000 sales representatives in the company.

Former Advanced Director with the Pampered Chef, Deb has an associate’s degree in hotel/restaurant management and is a trained chef with a degree from the Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, NY. With a 30 year career in the hospitality field, she has a broad experience in the service industry.

ChefBeckyD said:
I don't think she is a PC consultant....

Actually, she is. And a successful one. If you've ever been in her wave at conference, she's always walking for something.

I have mixed feelings... While she is posting great info... she isn't really responding to anyone. I could see if she posted something answering a questions, volunteering her expertise and then got business but all she is doing is posting this stuff with the links in her sig. I don't know... I'll leave it up to the powers that be.

AJPratt said:
I don't have anything against her... just that I've never seen any of the other speakers post on these threads.

From her site...
Deb Bixler retired from the corporate world in 1999 to enjoy life as an entrepreneur. In the first 9 months as a direct seller she built a sales team and show schedule which provided her with an income capable of replacing her corporate business salary of $80,000 per year. Deb achieved the top honors offered in her company in personal sales every year for 7 years in a row and earned the President’s Club 5 of those 7 years. This prestigious award goes to only the top 20 of the 67,000 sales representatives in the company.

Former Advanced Director with the Pampered Chef, Deb has an associate’s degree in hotel/restaurant management and is a trained chef with a degree from the Culinary Institute of America, Hyde Park, NY. With a 30 year career in the hospitality field, she has a broad experience in the service industry.

Thanks for that info Anne - I had never heard of her. And I don't have anything against her either - her articles posted are very good.....I just have never seen any other speaker use the forum for promotion.....

Okay Anne, we are posting at the same time! Maybe if her posts were under the Business Articles sub-forum, I wouldn't have these "iffy" feelings about them?Also - her info under her name leads you to believe that she is a current, active PC consultant, when from what Anne posted, it sounds like she has moved on. I just hate being misled.....

Last edited:
Very inspiring before I head out to my first of 2 shows this morning!

ChefBeckyD said:
Okay Anne, we are posting at the same time! Maybe if her posts were under the Business Articles sub-forum, I wouldn't have these "iffy" feelings about them?
We are! That's funny! That's exactly my thought... I don't want to seem like I am attacking anyone (especially someone that can help) but there is a way to just post articles.

I am going to copy and paste them though!:D ;)

AJPratt said:
I have mixed feelings... While she is posting great info... she isn't really responding to anyone. I could see if she posted something answering a questions, volunteering her expertise and then got business but all she is doing is posting this stuff with the links in her sig. I don't know... I'll leave it up to the powers that be.

I thought the exact same thing!!!!

Kinda wierd.. doesn't feel quite right????

ChefBeckyD said:
I am going to copy and paste them though!:D ;)

I already did that. :)

I didn't realize she was a FORMER PC Consultant. My bad.

Okay, back to doing taxes. :)

DebbieJ said:
I already did that. :)

I didn't realize she was a FORMER PC Consultant. My bad.

Okay, back to doing taxes. :)

Yeah - and taxes are sooooo much more fun than CS!:rolleyes:

It looks like all she did was log on, post three things and log off.

AJPratt said:
It looks like all she did was log on, post three things and log off.
We are such little slueths, aren't we? I was checking that too - she has actually been a member of CS since Oct, 2006 too.

Indeed. We need toget Gillian on this one.

AJPratt said:
Indeed. We need toget Gillian on this one.
Hey - Sherriff Gillian - where are you????

Oh wait - it's still early in Alaska....I always forget about that!
I'm sure she'll catch up as soon as her eyes are open!

We'll have to give her some time...

Anne, I'm with you.....I don't want to be taken as attacking anyone either....but it does have an inappropriate feel to what she posted. Its not the CONtent.....its the INtent!!!! Sounds like she's plugging a new entrepraneurial adventure. (I know I butchered that spelling!)

melindag said:
Anne, I'm with you.....I don't want to be taken as attacking anyone either....but it does have an inappropriate feel to what she posted. Its not the CONtent.....its the INtent!!!! Sounds like she's plugging a new entrepraneurial adventure. (I know I butchered that spelling!)

You said it perfectly Melinda!

I am not using the forum for promotion.

Actually I spent about an hour or more learning about how the system works and reading things. What is the problem with posting and logging off anyway?

Deb, My apologies. I guess we're all skeptical about someone who doesn't seem to be addicted to CS like we all are. :p This is where we all turn to for support and ideas. You have shared some really great information! Thank you! Continued success in your businesses, both PC and not.

Deb Bixler said:
I am not using the forum for promotion.
No... now that there is no link in your signature you aren't. Thank you for your input. The fact that there was pages of posts and no response was iffy to me. We've had problems with this before.

Deb, thanks for all your info. it was great to read today.
Thanks again.

Deb Bixler said:
What is the problem with posting and logging off anyway?[/Q]

Theres nothing wrong.

Deb, as I am one who posted questioning your "intent", allow me to apologize, again - it wasn't a problem with your info. Those of us who may have misunderstood the "intent of your posts could have been helped along if there had been a post with an intro from you, or even a simple hello with an indication that you would be sharing such helpful information. Is it required? no....but with many of us being spooked by spammers - it would have not raised a red flag.

your posts were well written and most certainly inspirational - we welcome you to CS....the sharing and chatting that we've all experienced on these boards have built many frienships/relationships that are important to our business. They are a priority as is working our businesses.

I personally don't spend a lot of time on the boards either....but the time spent here on CS is time well spent nevertheless.....it's the best resource out there that I have found for consultants.

We wish you well.....meant no harm in our questions regarding your posts, and thank you too!
Melinda

melindag said:
Deb, as I am one who posted questioning your "intent", allow me to apologize, again - it wasn't a problem with your info. Those of us who may have misunderstood the "intent of your posts could have been helped along if there had been a post with an intro from you, or even a simple hello with an indication that you would be sharing such helpful information. Is it required? no....but with many of us being spooked by spammers - it would have not raised a red flag.

your posts were well written and most certainly inspirational - we welcome you to CS....the sharing and chatting that we've all experienced on these boards have built many frienships/relationships that are important to our business. They are a priority as is working our businesses.

I personally don't spend a lot of time on the boards either....but the time spent here on CS is time well spent nevertheless.....it's the best resource out there that I have found for consultants.

We wish you well.....meant no harm in our questions regarding your posts, and thank you too!
Melinda
VERY well said!

Very well put Melinda.

Deb, now that I know who you are, what you have accomplished with The Pampered Chef, and what your background is, your posts have much more credibility to me. Thanks you for sharing with us, that was very thoughtful of you.

pamperedlinda said:
Very well put Melinda.

Deb, now that I know who you are, what you have accomplished with The Pampered Chef, and what your background is, your posts have much more credibility to me. Thanks you for sharing with us, that was very thoughtful of you.
Here, here! Hey, I give Deb credit for loggin back on and saying, "What's wrong with that?" A spammer wouldn't even respond.

I've seen her at Nat. Conf. She doesn't respond much on here because she is SO BUSY!!
It's sorta like if one of the SED were on here...they would explode with some AWESOME info...and poof...vanish for a while...
Obviously she isn't selling anything ...just giving great useful info!!
I'm thrilled she has exploded into CS!!!
I needed to hear all that info!
Thanks Deb!
Hope to see you again at Nat. Conf 2007!!! She'll be walking the stage...and I'll be watching!! LOL
~~~ Maybe I don't have the leader's attitude...I need to work on that!!

1. When some one says a definitive no, do you keep asking?

No, as a leader in direct sales, I understand that a definitive no means the person is not interested at this time. I respect their decision and move on to other potential clients.

2. Have you ever said “do a show for me”?

No, as a leader, I know that it is important to approach potential hosts with respect and professionalism. I would never demand or pressure someone to do a show for me.

3. Have you ever said “you owe me one!”

No, as a leader, I believe in building mutually beneficial relationships with my clients. I would never use guilt or pressure tactics to get someone to host a show or join my opportunity.

4. Have you ever tricked someone into hosting a show?

No, as a leader, I understand that tricking someone into hosting a show is unethical and ultimately damages the relationship and reputation of my business. I always strive for honesty and transparency in my interactions with others.

5. Are you frequently persuading people to have shows?

No, as a leader, I believe in attracting clients who are genuinely interested in my products or services. I do not believe in pressuring or persuading people to do something they are not interested in.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• pamperedpals
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
pamperedpals
  • kayleigh
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
BethCooks4U
  • esavvymom