• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Avoiding a Costly Mistake: Learn from My Recruiting Experience

In summary, the person seems to be flakes and may have taken advantage of you by not submitting her shows and not returning the kit. You should set up a time to talk to her and hopefully resolve the situation.
Chef Kearns
Gold Member
Okay, I signed a gal in January. She was soooo eager and a great recruit. She's told me that she's already done 5 or 6 shows. She's submitted NONE!! She says she doesn't have a computer. Then she gets a computer and says her internet is not working. All week long I've been telling her to come to my house and we can use my computer and/or internet connection. We have set up a time 2 times!! She has not come to either.

The mistake?....I paid for her kit!! She told me she didn't have a credit card or way to make the payment at the time we were submitting her agreement. We did it over the phone. I was on the computer talking with her on the phone! I read through all of the screens for her. We get to the last screen...payment and I ask her for her card information and then nada! In my zeal to recruit another I put her kit cost on my (my husband's) credit card.

I am sweating bullets here! I told my husband we would have the money back by the end of February. Because before we submitted her agreement I made her book 4-5 shows, so I knew she would be working (or so I though).

I'm not sure what I should or can do! I made a HUGE mistake. Pray for me! Give me good tips!!

Oh my, I'm sorry!:eek: I don't know what to say.:(

Oh no, I hope she just needs a kick in the butt to get going and she really want to do this. I am keeping my fingers crossed for you.

I should also add that I would ask her for the money back NOW. Call be nice but tell her that you need it. Tell her you went out of your way for her, but that you need it NOW. Good luck.

She may be a kit-napper. I would def. call her and tell her she either needs to submit her shows, return her kit to you or pay you back in cash. I would give her a deadline too.

Oh, my heart aches thinking about this. I'm praying that this all works out for you!

Rebeccascabinet said:
She may be a kit-napper. I would def. call her and tell her she either needs to submit her shows, return her kit to you or pay you back in cash. I would give her a deadline too.

I agree. Give her a deadline to pay you and/or submit the shows. Let her know you will have no choice but to contact HO if you don't hear back from her.

The thing that really upsets me about the situation is I KNOW BETTER!!! Urgh!! Like, Duh!! I blame that giddy lightheaded euphoria that you get when you're signing a new recruit! Cursed endorphins!

What happens with 1000 posts? I don't know, but I'm about to find out!! Look out!

Nothing! Just my luck!

Chef Kearns said:
Nothing! Just my luck!

Maybe you have to jump to another thread then come back here :)

I'm still in the 500's so not up to date on what you get when....sorry!

Nothing happens at 1000, and nothing ever happens unless your star changes (750, 1500 & 2500).

I would totally tell her that she owes you, and in this case I would say that you have a right to confiscate her kit. YOU paid for it... you should have her physical address on her contract if you have the web ID- go to her house and talk to her!!

gilliandanielle said:
Nothing happens at 1000, and nothing ever happens unless your star changes (750, 1500 & 2500).

I would totally tell her that she owes you, and in this case I would say that you have a right to confiscate her kit. YOU paid for it... you should have her physical address on her contract if you have the web ID- go to her house and talk to her!!

That's what I plan to do tomorrow. I've been to her house before. I am having a Spring kick-off at my house at 4. When it is over I will be headed to her house to hopefully resolve this situation. She doesn't know I'm coming. It will be a sneak attack!

I know she's had shows. She has called me with a host trying to figure out her benefits. I hope she is just flaky and plans on submitting the shows. Those poor people have paid her money and are waiting for their products. She had her first show before she had her kit. Her first show was the last Sat. in January. She told me it was over $300 in sales. Now she's either lying or....she has ripped these people clean off (just like me)!! They have to be wondering when they are going to get their stuff. This just smells like a poop storm!

Chef Kearns said:
this just smells like a poop storm!

Oh I'm so going to use this expression.:cool:

Okay...Um...I just read the thread in the Marketplace. Please do not send me any money! Seriously! I will take care of it! All I need/want are your prayers.

Thank you!

Chef Kearns said:
Okay...Um...I just read the thread in the Marketplace. Please do not send me any money! Seriously! I will take care of it! All I need/want are your prayers.

Thank you!

are you sure? sorry, that is funny... ya know, as i was reading all that crap.. I was thinking.. well now this is going to give someone else the idea to have a problem and here we go again.... and then I read you thread. I really didn't think you were lying.. but it is funny that you said that.

sorry couldn't resist.

Tell her you are going to call the police and file a report that she stole from you.

Chef Kearns said:

Thank you!
ha ha ha ! you are too funny!

I was thinking the same thing!! Are you sure you don't want some cash?? I am obviously an itiot that sends money to people I don't know over the internet.... any takers???

Gillian you werent the only one I seriously thought about sending some but at the time I didnt have any to send and right now I am so glad that I didnt

You want some money Jennie?? LMAO!!

gilliandanielle said:

That made me laugh when my kids say they want something and keep begging for it I tell them I want 1 million dollars and they just give me a look like why cant you get it. They are 5 and 3:D

gilliandanielle said:

Hey if you are giving it away... send some my way!!!! Remember those gimicks.... get 1000 people to send you money, I'll tell ya how... send $5 to ....... Sorry, just thought of that.

This whole thing was happening while I was waiting an $80 payment from a hostess. I had submitted her show. I was smart and had it shipped to my house though. And yes I did get the money

My DD is 3 and her TV just broke. She got so mad when I told her that we couldn't go to the store and get a new one! I don't think she quite understands that you don't just go to the store and take whatever you want for no money, LOL!

maryhenderlite said:
Hey if you are giving it away... send some my way!!!! Remember those gimicks.... get 1000 people to send you money, I'll tell ya how... send $5 to ....... Sorry, just thought of that.
LMAO!! I will have to try that, LOL!!

Any word on the gal yet? I totally feel for you! I had a kitnapper who was writing HOT CHECKs off her alleged sister's account. SHe didn't have her "card" with her when she came to my house to sign up online so I used mine (Have done it before-no problems) She wrote me a check, it bounced. Many excuses as to why she couldn't pay me. One excuse was it was her sister's acct. and her purse was stolen and so they had to close the acct and that's why it bounced. Then she claimed she never got her kit. She magically later "found" her kit and then I started getting bits of payments here and there. I did my own detective work and found out that the account she wrote the check off of had been closed for a year and a half!!! I FINALLY got the kit back from her, wrote P.C. a letter, sent kit back to them and they actually refunded to me the ENTIRE amount!!! I then filed a police report and never heard anything from them or her again!!! Who knows what happened! Please let this be a lesson to all of us. No matter how eager we are to have someone sign we need to get them to pay for it up front directly to Pampered Chef! Let me know how it works out with yours!

smspamperedchef said:
Any word on the gal yet? I totally feel for you! I had a kitnapper who was writing HOT CHECKs off her alleged sister's account. SHe didn't have her "card" with her when she came to my house to sign up online so I used mine (Have done it before-no problems) She wrote me a check, it bounced. Many excuses as to why she couldn't pay me. One excuse was it was her sister's acct. and her purse was stolen and so they had to close the acct and that's why it bounced. Then she claimed she never got her kit. She magically later "found" her kit and then I started getting bits of payments here and there. I did my own detective work and found out that the account she wrote the check off of had been closed for a year and a half!!! I FINALLY got the kit back from her, wrote P.C. a letter, sent kit back to them and they actually refunded to me the ENTIRE amount!!! I then filed a police report and never heard anything from them or her again!!! Who knows what happened! Please let this be a lesson to all of us. No matter how eager we are to have someone sign we need to get them to pay for it up front directly to Pampered Chef! Let me know how it works out with yours!

I thought for sure if I was able to get the kit back I would still have to eat the cost. It is nice to know that PC would refund the money. Had your gal's kit been used? I know my recruit's kit has been used. I wonder if they would still take it back?:confused:

OH MY ... I really hope that things get worked out for you..... and I hope that with the recurits that I am working with dont' do the same thing...... let us know what happens...Gill if your giving.. I take you up on that offer LMAO!!

I have to Laugh
gilliandanielle said:
I was thinking the same thing!! Are you sure you don't want some cash?? I am obviously an itiot that sends money to people I don't know over the internet.... any takers???

Gillian, you crack me UP! You know that you're not the lone ranger in that game cause I was right there with you. No "stupid" is not written on our foreheads...just kind souls.

CK I am so sorry for your loss thus far but if I were you, I would be tearing her door down and waiting for some cash. Let us know what happens.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about his. I wonder if she took money from the hosts and guests at her shows? Think of the people that think they are getting PC products and their shows haven't been sent in yet.

I'll say a little prayer that everything gets straighten out. I hope you get your money back.

Donna

I did the same thing last fall. Felt like a major dummy! I think I'm at the point of writing it off. After numeous messages, she's not going to get me the money or the kit. And her shows just aren't going to happen, especially if the hosts heard about me harrassing her for the money she owes me!! Luckily, she had bought down her kit with her host points, but she had some half-priced items that she still owes me for, too. Sucks!

Chef Kearns said:

Thank you!

ROFLMAO!!!
Good luck with getting the kit back from her...I hope she has 4 shows she is just waiting to send in and she sends them in today and qualifies immediately...that's be the best outcome :)

smspamperedchef said:

Wow - what a night mare. I am glad you got it resolved though. I am sorry ya'll are dealing with these morons, but am glad you're sharing your stories so I don't ever get so enthusiastic about a recruit that I would lay $$ out for her. Eh...who am I kidding...I am so cheap I won't even lay out $$ for my own husband - LOL

Hey Sandra, I hope you worked it out. Maybe if you go help her get the shows sorted out to just mail in? She isn't going to submit them unles she has the debit card anyway (if I recall correctly) so she can just do them on PP and then print the appropriate form and send them in. I know it will be harder for you with the kids but maybe if you go to her house get her set up and "Git-R-Done" then she will turn into that success you were hoping for.

BTW: I have those endorphins flowing right now too. I may have a new recruit signing in the next week or two. I gave her the Your Life Your Way DVD yesterday.

Have we heard anything Chef Kearns

Same here
gilliandanielle said:
My DD is 3 and her TV just broke. She got so mad when I told her that we couldn't go to the store and get a new one! I don't think she quite understands that you don't just go to the store and take whatever you want for no money, LOL!

My two (going to be three in May) tells me to write a check or use my credit card. LOL I tried to explain that it is linked to my checking account and that unless there is money in there for that certain item, we can't buy it.
So she turned to daddy and said "Let's use yours daddy!" LOL LOL
Kids are crazy but funny!!

Sandra I hope you get that kit or your money. I mean I am praying it all works out and she is just flaky in the beginning but ends up being your best recruit. I hope she gets those shows in to you for you to submit them. I am very weary of people who ask me to pay for them. I do sometimes and if they do scam me well I just let them have to deal with the Lord one day for doing that to me. Vengeance is His.
But since you still talk to her and she hasn't disappeared, as most scam artists do, I am sure you guys will work this out. You are a smart and wonderful consultant. I'm sure if you keep at her, you'll finally get her to either pay you back or get on the ball.
Debbie :D

She isn't returning my calls. I did go to her home to talk with her, she didn't answer the door. I know they were there. They only have one vehicle and it was there. When I knocked on the door I waited awhile and soon enough a cigarette smell wafted through the door to me then wafted away. I believe they came to see who it was then decided not to answer the door.

I have been way nice on this. I am really upset that she isn't going to follow through. She didn't ask me to pay. I offered! Like an idiot!! One of my cluster mates' husband is a lawyer. He is going to draw up a letter for me and mail it to her at home and her husband at his work (in case they refuse the Certified letter at home). Hopefully the letter from a lawyer will scare them into action.

I don't think she is going to submit her shows. I think she's spent the customer's money. Because she went from not being able to purchase the kit to buying new clothes, buying 2 new laptops with Windows Vista, and getting a new Playstation in the month of February. We are no longer in contact. She is not returning my calls or answering the phone when I call. I do not plan on calling her again. My husband just wants to write it off as a lesson learned, but I am personally offended. (he is always letting people rip us off though...long long long story(s))

Congratulations Kim!! Hopefully we'll be walking together in July!!

Chef Kearns said:
She isn't returning my calls. I did go to her home to talk with her, she didn't answer the door. I know they were there. They only have one vehicle and it was there. When I knocked on the door I waited awhile and soon enough a cigarette smell wafted through the door to me then wafted away. I believe they came to see who it was then decided not to answer the door.

I have been way nice on this. I am really upset that she isn't going to follow through. She didn't ask me to pay. I offered! Like an idiot!! One of my cluster mates' husband is a lawyer. He is going to draw up a letter for me and mail it to her at home and her husband at his work (in case they refuse the Certified letter at home). Hopefully the letter from a lawyer will scare them into action.

I don't think she is going to submit her shows. I think she's spent the customer's money. Because she went from not being able to purchase the kit to buying new clothes, buying 2 new laptops with Windows Vista, and getting a new Playstation in the month of February. We are no longer in contact. She is not returning my calls or answering the phone when I call. I do not plan on calling her again. My husband just wants to write it off as a lesson learned, but I am personally offended. (he is always letting people rip us off though...long long long story(s))

PLEASE dont let her take advantage of you like that. My dad is a cop and there are just too many people like that in this world. What is it with cruel people taking advantage of those Kind souls!! All you did was try to help her and look at what she did. If I could find her I would. Please dont let her do that. Gosh people like that make me sooo mad.

You need to take action right away! Especially if she has taken your money, and other host/guests money! If she is not truthfully representing herself as a PC rep, what she is doing is fraud! That's a federal crime!

Get that kit or money back!
Chef Kearns said:

Well I think that sending her a letter from an attorney is a great idea. It will definitely make her accountable and hopefully scared enough to send you a check (a good check) LOL or the kit back. Either way keep us posted and let us know what happens.

Oh, I watch People's Court every day. Maybe you can be on there for all of us to see! LOL Don't let her walk and I would not quit calling her either. Eventually she will answer or repay the money to get me off of her back.

Not a boneheadBy the way I wanted to say, you are not a bonehead because you cared enough to help someone out. That was a very nice thing to do.

She is the bonehead for being dishonest and deceptive.

Keep us posted!!

Chef Kearns said:

I hope the hosts/guests can be contacted and informed of what happened so they can take action too - that is wrong if she took money from them too. ...and will make them wary of PC even if it isn't PC's fault!

I've already called PC to let them know what I suspect. So now they will be ready to respond if customers start calling about their stuff. They will be able to reconstruct the show and send them their stuff. I really really hope that I am wrong about that though.

Good luck with everything! Keep us updated on what happened! and p.s. I don't think you're a bonehead either -- everyone gets excited when someone wants to sign, I'd probably do the same thing you did!

I had a recruit that never did anything. Luckily, she paid for her kit, but then couldn't figure out how to load PP and we scheduled times to meet but couldn't. I told her I could do it over the phone too if meeting didn't work, but she didn't call me back. The only time the phone was answered was when her husband picked it up and they were "out of town". Believed her then, but not anymore. She said she had 3 shows to submit but mailed them with the checks and hadn't heard anything. I called and no, she didn't mail anything. Plus, hello, she couldn't send the customers' checks! I actually don't believe that she collected any orders. She manages a Clinique counter and it would be dumb to steal from her co-workers. I'm fine with kit nappers. Just be honest about it!

I'm so sorry that this happened to you. If the attorney letter doesn't work, do you know where she works? Or could you and your "lawyer" go visit the husband? I wouldn't go alone and bring someone that is loud and won't back down. Sounds like they are counting on you just going away. Good luck and I'm praying for you right now!

Anything worked out yet? just curious. I Hope you get your money back.

I am also curious has to how things have worked out!!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• leslieprichett
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
leslieprichett
  • PCJenni
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
finley1991
  • PCMelissa