• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

toRecruit or Not to Recruit... That's My Question

In summary, the conversation discusses the one SIL's desire to reschedule her show, the questions she asked about the business, and the implications of this for the consultant. The consultant advises the SIL to pursue the opportunity, and offers advice on how to do so.
kearstin
Over the weekend my one SIL decided that she wanted to reschedule her show (she cancelled on me in my SS month #2 (not to mention Sell-a-Thon) b/c it was football seaon and she was "really busy".) In talking about her show, she started asking questions about the business, how much do I make, how many shows, etc., etc. I answered all of her questions, but I didn't try to hook her. For one thing, she is a SAHM with a history of starting a job and quitting within a few weeks, 2 months max because she wants to be home with her kids. I have been in the family for 8 years and have seen her go through that many jobs. I know the way she has treated previous jobs - and her PC show - and I'm afraid she would do the same thing with the business and that would really piss me off. But playing my own Devil's Advocate, is this even any of my business? I mean, I know the motto is, Your Business, Your Way. So should I pursue her as a recurit??? I just wouldn't want it to bring about any hard feelings within the family.

Here's my 2nd issue - not about the SIL, but recruiting in general: I live in a really rural area (<25,000 people) and I'm just not sure how many PC consultants one area can accomodate. I hate to seem greedy, but I guess I am kind of afraid that having multiple consultants in such a small area would hurt my business.

I always mention the opportunity in my show spiel, but I never really talk about it any further. Should I be???

Help, what do you guys think?????

I know where you're coming from Kearstin. I also live in a really small area, and I feel that there are already too many consultants here. Everyone I talk to already has a consultant that they are loyal to, and I find it hard to get bookings. So for those reasons, I've been hesitant to recruit. At the same time though, recruiting benefits our businesses, and a potential small loss in sales would be made up for by all of the benefits that come with making director. And they say there are always people out there that are interested, we just have to find them. So I say go for it! As for it being your SIL, just try to keep an open mind and remember that it is her business to run her way, and if she does end up quiting, it just wasn't the right thing for her. Good luck!

I think you should give your SIL more info and ask her to join you. Maybe this is the right fit for her as she can fit it around her schedule. Just think how you would feel if she decides to sign up and goes to someone else!

As far as whether you should recruit that is completely up to you. I do think we should offer the opportunity to everyone but understand that is different from actively pursuing a new recruit.

I would not be concerned about there being enough business. The town I live in has < 50,000 (I know bigger than your area) but there are two directors in town and at least a dozen consultants at different levels. There really is enough business to go around. Remember, not everyone who signs will actively work their business. Some may only do one or two shows a month if that. I have not had a problem getting bookings because of too many consultants. In fact, in the last week I have been carrying my tote around and had FIVE people ask me for a business card. Two are thinking about booking a show (one of those wants to know more about the opportunity), two want to order and one wants to set up a wedding registry!

I'm sure your area can support additional consultants as well.

Recruit her!! It is after all her biz and as long as you know you coached her the right way and helped her get started you can feel good about you and your biz. The rest is up to her and you never know it may be just what she is looking for! I had a recruit that waited to open her starter kit box for a week! It drove me nuts but that's just how she does things...very laid back. And she is turning out to be a great consultant!

I think there is always room for more consultants. I live in a very small town so sometimes I just have to look outside my area. The biz is out there we just need to find it!!

If she was my SIL, I would recruit but have no expectations expect her qualifying. Seem excited to have her join your team and tell her that she MUST do four shows to meet her obligation, then let her decide. Don't sign her up until she has six people who will do shows and then you'll get your recruiting points, she'll get tons of free stuff and a paycheck and may like it.

I am so thankful I live in a quickly growing urban area so I don't have to worry as much about bookings so can't give you advice....

As for your small town: Our valley (consisting of about 4 town) is a little over 100,000. I realize this is quadruple as big as yours, but we have an Executive Director, probaly more than 12 directors (including the hospitality), and LOTS and LOTS of active consultants in our town. I still have shows where a guests shows up claiming to never have been to a show before. All of the directors in town and LOTS and LOTS of consultants are very busy, holding at least 1-4 shows per week each.

Who knows, maybe this could change her life. If not, don't get mad, don't put much time and no money into helping her succeed. After her show, keep contact with her guests, if she ends up not following through with the bookings, you can always book them yourself.

The business opportunity is the greatest gift I have to offer!

I do not actively recruit. I mention it about once a show. The town I live in is about 1,000 people and then there are bigger surrounding cities. One of my friends (who lives about 4 houses down from me) signed the same time I did and she now has a recruit.

I do not actively recruit b/c I do not think my area is big enough for it. At a show I had this weekend I lost a booking b/c the host had signed for one under my friend's recruit. I know it may be selfish but that is the way I run my business..it is after all my business.

I also do not have the time to mentor a recruit the way I think one needs to be either.

Don't get me wrong if someone wanted to sign I would do all i could to help them I just do not actively pursue them.

If you do not want to recruit her, then don't. If she comes to you wanting information I would willingly give it to her and sign her up if she wants to.

Last edited:
AJPratt said:
The business opportunity is the greatest gift I have to offer!

Hey Ann!! I have been missing seeing you here lately. Have you been gone or busy? Or have I been gone and just missed you?

I too live in a small town. When I signed, I had never been to a PC show (although I have heard of it). I asked all the questions about over saturation and was told that PC NEEDED consultants in this area...blah blah blah. Me thinking I would have a captive audience. WRONG! I found out that a lady on my same street was a "former consultant" (not enough business) and have ran into several other active and inactive consultants. As far as recruiting, I am with you. Too much saturation just to get a recruit is not my idea of a successful business plan. I do try to recruit at my show way out of town. FYI, I found out on a website that there are over 68,000 PC consultants (and I am sure that is a very conservative figure) and I know when you break it down to countries/states and cities that is a miniscule amount to go around. However when you are begging for shows it does make one think.
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE PC and I am not throwing in the apron. Please don't feel that I am "bashing " PC or making any personal attacks. I just wish someone would have been honest with me instead of trying to get a quick recruit. Valky

I bet there's way fewer active Pampered Chef consultants in America than there are McDonald's stores. They don't seem to have a problem with over-saturation. And most orders are under $10 instead of our $40 average.

I think it's a good example because the whole reason McDonalds is so successful is that they make themselves easily replicated. Imagine having a sales team comparable to McDonald's in America!!

Look at it this way...even if she signs and does nothing, you get 25 cattys!!

Paige Dixon said:
I bet there's way fewer active Pampered Chef consultants in America than there are McDonald's stores. They don't seem to have a problem with over-saturation. And most orders are under $10 instead of our $40 average.

I think it's a good example because the whole reason McDonalds is so successful is that they make themselves easily replicated. Imagine having a sales team comparable to McDonald's in America!!

Yes, and Starbucks! There have to be four in a 1-2 mile radius in my town and none seem to be hurting!:)

As for starting up in small towns, my Senior Executive Director (one step away from the highest level in the company), Shan Eisler, started her business in a town of 375 people!!! She's been doing this for 15 years, is making more money than I can even imagine and she's consistently in the top spot for first line sales every month. It's quite an amazing story. And even though other consultants in smaller towns may not have the same exact background or story, it at least should illustrate what the potential is in this business for everybody!! Pretty cool.:D

The Home Office once said that a town can easy support as many Directors as there are churches!! Well, I am 1 of 2 directors in a town of about 30,000 and we are NO WHERE NEAR saturated!! I actively recruit all of the time because different people work their business for different reasons! Of the 5 new consultants I have added to my team this year, not one of them started for the same reason and not one of them has the same goals as the others! I find that about 75% of my team does 1 show or less a month.

As far as "there is no business" in this area...I don't buy it! Sorry to be blunt, but even with 1000 people or 50,000 people still have to shop somewhere! If they aren't getting their kitchen tools from you, then they are buying them from someone else...maybe Target...WalMart!! And all of my customers are make comments like "you get what you pay for" and "I would rather help support your family than add to Wal Mart's bank account!"

I really believe it is all in your attitude! Being from Wyoming, none of our towns are huge and I have consultants in towns that are less than 300 people in population! Just so you know, my highest show of $2500 was in a town with less than 300 people! SO, if you want to be successful, don't let yourself use the excuses...there is no business...there is not enough people!!! YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO!!!:D

fruit76loop said:
The Home Office once said that a town can easy support as many Directors as there are churches!! Well, I am 1 of 2 directors in a town of about 30,000 and we are NO WHERE NEAR saturated!! I actively recruit all of the time because different people work their business for different reasons! Of the 5 new consultants I have added to my team this year, not one of them started for the same reason and not one of them has the same goals as the others! I find that about 75% of my team does 1 show or less a month.

As far as "there is no business" in this area...I don't buy it! Sorry to be blunt, but even with 1000 people or 50,000 people still have to shop somewhere! If they aren't getting their kitchen tools from you, then they are buying them from someone else...maybe Target...WalMart!! And all of my customers are make comments like "you get what you pay for" and "I would rather help support your family than add to Wal Mart's bank account!"

I really believe it is all in your attitude! Being from Wyoming, none of our towns are huge and I have consultants in towns that are less than 300 people in population! Just so you know, my highest show of $2500 was in a town with less than 300 people! SO, if you want to be successful, don't let yourself use the excuses...there is no business...there is not enough people!!! YOU CAN DO WHATEVER YOU WANT TO DO!!!:D

Well you stated your case very well... I really have no excuse for not recruiting do I?????? Thanks for the "slap in the face" No offence taken I really needed that to get me up and going.....

I would be very clear that the consultant agreement states that you need to do 4 shows or $1250. Tell her she can try it out, but that she has to submit at least that. This way she can try it out and you will get the recruiting points when she qualifies. Also, by "trying it out" you can talk to her after she qualifies and end it nicely or she can continue.

kearstin said:
Here's my 2nd issue - not about the SIL, but recruiting in general: I live in a really rural area (<25,000 people) and I'm just not sure how many PC consultants one area can accomodate. I hate to seem greedy, but I guess I am kind of afraid that having multiple consultants in such a small area would hurt my business.

I truly understand some of your concerns - I too come from a "rural" community - ~ 8500 (yup) BUT I know I hae to travel apx. 30 miles for some shows.

How are you going to feel if someone else offers her the opportunity? She will be in your area and SOMEONE ELSE will be enjoying the recruiting rewards!!!

I say give HER the chance....after alll...it IS about her ....not about YOU...

The host of my February show specifically requested that DO NOT focus on recruiting. I told her this was not a problem because I normally don't push it anyway. I am more about the food than the recruiting.

I come from a small town that is saturated with PC consultants and this has not been a problem at all. We are supportive of each other and don't steal customers from each other.
Actually, 2 of the consultants just promoted to director and I just promoted to future director - I wouldn't worry about too many consultants in one area.
But definitely recruit! Let your SIL decide if it's a right fit for her. If it's not, that's okay and you shouldn't take it personally.

Thanks to everyone for all of the advice you have offered with this situation.

I've given it a lot of thought and decided that I will talk to her more about the opportunity. I don't plan pushing, but will present all the information and let her make the decision based on that.

If she decides to go for it, I will be certain to stress the importance of holding her first four shows and - as someone suggested - will not give her the agreement to sign until she has at least six shows scheduled.

I'll keep you guys up-to-date with what happens. It's sure to be interesting either way!!

Thanks again for all your help. You guys are the best - I just wish I would have started utilizing this site sooner :)

If she is undecided, you could consider doing a "Decision Show" for her! You get the bookings for her to get her off to great start!

jrstephens said:
I do not actively recruit. I mention it about once a show.

I also do not have the time to mentor a recruit the way I think one needs to be either.

Don't get me wrong if someone wanted to sign I would do all i could to help them I just do not actively pursue them.

This is my attitude as well!

As far as "there is no business" in this area...I don't buy it!I really believe it is all in your attitude!Being from Wyoming, none of our towns are huge and I have consultants in towns that are less than 300 people in population! Just so you know, my highest show of $2500 was in a town with less than 300 people! SO, if you want to be successful, don't let yourself use the excuses...there is no business...there is not enough people!!!

I have a very positive attitude or else I wouldn't have been hanging in there as long as I have. This board (and others) is bombarded with consultants going inactive/quitting business etc. I can't speak for them but I do know that I dedicate a ton of time, effort and energy (ask my DH) to getting bookings, contacts or whatever. It just doesn't happen when there are a lot of consultants in a small area.
I'm glad that you were so successful in a town of 300 people but maybe my area is different from yours. People seem to suffer from "party phobia" here or like I said, "oh, so & so sells it". I am not making excuses. It is a reality just not yours.
BTW, McDonald's and Starbucks are different services than PC so it's like comparing apples and oranges. Valky

yummy4tummy said:
I have a very positive attitude or else I wouldn't have been hanging in there as long as I have. This board (and others) is bombarded with consultants going inactive/quitting business etc. I can't speak for them but I do know that I dedicate a ton of time, effort and energy (ask my DH) to getting bookings, contacts or whatever. It just doesn't happen when there are a lot of consultants in a small area.
I'm glad that you were so successful in a town of 300 people but maybe my area is different from yours. People seem to suffer from "party phobia" here or like I said, "oh, so & so sells it". I am not making excuses. It is a reality just not yours.
BTW, McDonald's and Starbucks are different services than PC so it's like comparing apples and oranges. Valky

I agree completely!

Its funny how different areas can be. I know of a few PC reps in my town and haven't ever run into someone who knew them. They are always surprised there's a rep in the area. I guess we are highly populated.

Well, I had to add my 2 cents:

Our population is 6800, largest town in the county! I'm a director; not all my consultants are from here, though.

I was told once that a town could support as many directors as there are banks--we have 3 (banks, not directors!)

What is the purpose of "toRecruit or Not to Recruit... That's My Question"?

The purpose of "toRecruit or Not to Recruit... That's My Question" is to help individuals who are considering becoming a Pampered Chef consultant decide if the opportunity is right for them.

What are the benefits of becoming a Pampered Chef consultant?

Becoming a Pampered Chef consultant allows you to work from home, set your own schedule, earn commission on sales, receive discounts on products, and be a part of a supportive community of consultants.

Do I need to have any previous experience in sales or cooking to become a Pampered Chef consultant?

No, you do not need any previous experience in sales or cooking to become a Pampered Chef consultant. We provide training and resources to help you learn and succeed in your role.

How much time do I need to dedicate to my Pampered Chef business?

The amount of time you dedicate to your Pampered Chef business is up to you. You can work part-time or full-time, and your schedule is flexible. However, the more time and effort you put into your business, the more successful it can be.

Are there any fees or startup costs associated with becoming a Pampered Chef consultant?

There is a one-time $109 fee to join as a Pampered Chef consultant, which includes your starter kit with products and business supplies. There are also optional business tools and resources available for purchase.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Sheila
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
DebPC
  • Boomerjojo
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
Jolie_Paradoxe
  • cochef