• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Learning the Hard Way: The Benefits of Asking Everyone

In summary, the conversation is about the importance of asking all hosts and guests about the Pampered Chef business opportunity, as not doing so can result in losing potential recruits. One consultant shares her experience of a guest signing under someone else after hosting a show, as she had not mentioned the opportunity to her. Other consultants suggest including information about recruiting in host packets and making a point to ask guests individually about their interest in joining the business. It is emphasized that everyone should be asked about the opportunity, and not just those who show interest.
etteluap70PC
Gold Member
Ok So I have been a consultant for almost 4 years. I have been working harder lately on recruiting. Talking about it more at my shows. Still working on asking all my hosts...

Well Imagine my surprise to get a message from a November host it was a reply email from her regarding the stone sale in feb, and she said she decided to be a cons. Just got her kit!!!!! Now I actually made an exception for this gal and did a friday show day after thanksgiving.

Who the heck did she sign under?

Why would she not have contacted me?

Guess it's my fault, never asked her, Did not get any inkling from her that she would be interested.

Just goes to show... Ask everyone!
Live and learn!

That was the hardest lesson for me. A casual friend from a playgroup held a show for me early on in my business. About 6 months to a year later she signed...as a HO lead. MY FAULT
I never once mentioned to her that she could sign under me or that there was even a business opportunity. She went to the PC website when she decided to sign. OUCH

I guess it is not uncommon. I had made a list of people to call about the opportunity and/or hosting a show. Planning on making those calls that week and one of the calls was to a past guest I thought would be interested in a show and the opportunity. Imagine my surprise when she walks into our monthly cluster meetin after signing with my hospitality director. Ouch! I know I discussed the opportunity at that show but was not asking everyone individually at checkout. Must not have made enough of an impressionon her for her to sign six mmonths later with someone else. Now I'm not only talking to all of my hosts but ask everyone when they checkout. It is amazing the number of people who end up saying they have thought about it but marked no on their door prize slip.

Sorry that happened to you! We all learn best from our own mistakes so I'm sure you'll not let an opportunity to share the business after this one. I know mine inspired me!

dannyzmom said:
That was the hardest lesson for me. A casual friend from a playgroup held a show for me early on in my business. About 6 months to a year later she signed...as a HO lead. MY FAULT
I never once mentioned to her that she could sign under me or that there was even a business opportunity. She went to the PC website when she decided to sign. OUCH
I know what you mean... I want to start recruiting now but it's really up to me because I know I really need to ask everyone! Starting with my hosts!

So what do you say to your hosts? Any words of wisdom?

Asking your hosts should be part of your host coaching. Point out how they can reduce the price of the kit.

Are you putting recruiting info in every host packet? Direct their attention to it.

That's a start.

Thank you for sharing & letting us learn from your error. It is so generous! In the six months between your show & the sign up did you have contact with them? Like email, newsletter, postcards ect?

I had a repeat past host that we had discussed the opportunity with but it wasn't the right time. When I called her for the rebook (6 months out) she said she had just signed the week before with someone she happened to go to a show of "otherwise I would have another show with you" I don't think she ever realized that it matters who you sign under because she would call me for help with the business instead of who she signed up with,

I know I have to speak more about the opportunity myself, I do usually mention it in the beginning of my shows, but one thing I think we can do is threw in something after we ask everyone about if they ever thought about doing PC and then say something like " well, if you ever do happen to want to learn more, promise me you will contact me and we can sit down and talk about it." and then give them your card, but also keep their contact information handy. Maybe if they remember that they said yes after stating that to them, maybe they will feel some guilt of going with someone else and contact us instead. Just a thought.

Thanks for posting this! It is a great lesson!

I haven't had this happen to me yet but remember there is a difference between informing and asking. Informing let's them know that there is an opportunity, like talking about it at a show. Asking is requesting to see if there is any interest. Have you ever thought about doing something like Pampered Chef?

PC1 said:
I know I have to speak more about the opportunity myself, I do usually mention it in the beginning of my shows, but one thing I think we can do is threw in something after we ask everyone about if they ever thought about doing PC and then say something like " well, if you ever do happen to want to learn more, promise me you will contact me and we can sit down and talk about it." and then give them your card, but also keep their contact information handy. Maybe if they remember that they said yes after stating that to them, maybe they will feel some guilt of going with someone else and contact us instead. Just a thought.

This is great advice. If someone tells me "not now" or even "no," I ask them to contact me if things change or if they have more questions about it later. That way they come back to ME!

And these are people (at least the maybes) that shoudl be going on your rolling recruiting list and you should be staying in contact with them in one way or another--emails, postcards, mini catalogs, phone calls, etc.

As a Consultant, isn't it our responisibility to say "Are you currently working with another consultant or have you ever discussed the opportunity with anyone else?" And then let them decide who to work with? When I signed up, I told my recruiter that I had been thinking about it for years - and she asked that question. Truth was I DIDN'T want to work with the Consultant who did my shows in the past (plus she lives like 2 hours from where I am now). I will tell you, when she found out - through my sister who lives down there still - she called me practically cussing me out!! I told her a few times "I don't need to be talked to in this manner" and my husband kept saying "Hang up on her" Now is that someone I would want to work with? NO. So I feel I made the right choice. Not to say this happened with anyone here, I just think we need to ask anyone who talks to us about the signing up.
Joanne

My new recruitI just signed a gal that had shows for my Director in the past. I did a show for her and we talked about the opportunity and I asked her at that point if my Director had invited her to think about the Pampered Chef. She said yes, and I told her that she should sign with the first person who offered her the opportunity. She then went on to tell me that if she had to sign under my Director she wouldn't sign up. Well, needless to say I signed her that night.

When the consultant agreement went through, my Director emailed me a nasty note asking me "did you ask her if anyone else offered the opportunity?" Her tone in it was aweful!!

So, now what do I tell my Director?? I don't want her to think that I stole the recruit from her but I don't know how to approach it!! Any advice??:confused: :confused: :confused:

In the end, the recruit has the final say in who to sign with.

Marlene, you can simply tell your director that yes, you did ask her and told her she should go back to her, but she decided in the end to sign with you.

You cannot be held accountable for your new recruits actions.

CONGRATS!!!

I think you need to be straight up with your director on how the entire interaction came about with the recruit. It's important that she hear that. It's probable that the recruit got the same vibe from your director that you received in that nasty tone of the email. You obviously have impressed your recruit so that she wants to sign with you.

Isn't it just as beneficial for your director-upline to have her sign under you as it is her? I mean, Doesn't she still get an overide on your whole team or how does that work once you become a director, what happens to your directors status or overide?

fruit76loop said:
So, now what do I tell my Director?? I don't want her to think that I stole the recruit from her but I don't know how to approach it!! Any advice??:confused: :confused: :confused:

I would tell you director straight up
"Yes I asked her, Yes she said she had spoken with you. I advised her that we consider it good consultant etiquette to have people sign with the first person that offers the opportunity. She felt she and I had a connection and wanted to sign up with me."

1. What is "Learning the Hard Way: The Benefits of Asking Everyone"?

"Learning the Hard Way: The Benefits of Asking Everyone" is a training program that teaches individuals how to ask for help and advice from everyone around them, rather than relying solely on their own knowledge and experience.

2. Why is asking everyone beneficial?

Asking everyone for help and advice allows individuals to gain different perspectives and insights that they may not have considered on their own. It also fosters collaboration and teamwork, as everyone's ideas and contributions are valued.

3. Who can benefit from this training program?

This training program is beneficial for anyone who wants to improve their problem-solving skills and learn how to effectively collaborate with others. It can be especially helpful for individuals in leadership roles, as it can improve communication and decision-making within a team.

4. How does this program differ from traditional training methods?

Unlike traditional training methods that focus on individual knowledge and skills, "Learning the Hard Way: The Benefits of Asking Everyone" emphasizes the importance of collaboration and learning from others. It also encourages participants to step out of their comfort zone and seek help from a diverse range of individuals.

5. How can I implement the lessons from this program in my daily work life?

The key to implementing the lessons from this program is to actively practice asking for help and advice from everyone around you. This can include colleagues, mentors, and even individuals from different departments or industries. By consistently seeking input and learning from others, you can improve your problem-solving abilities and build stronger relationships in the workplace.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• byrd1956
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
byrd1956
  • baychef
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
baychef
  • PCMelissa