• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Considering Being a Consultant - Looking for Honest Advice

I have 2 small children at home. I have found that working part-time and hosting shows works well for me and my family. I also use email alot. The minimum sales to stay active with PC are not overwhelming, which is great for me as a busy mom. I host shows part-time and use email to stay in touch with my hostesses. Keeping a family calendar helps us both be on the same page.
janetupnorth
Gold Member
Good afternoon - I have owned Pampered Chef items since 1996 and throughout the years have thought off and on about being a consultant.

I am once again thinking about it...I have a friend at church that I'd be signing under who has been a consultant since 1998. She still hasn't made director so I know it would help her reach that goal.

Here's the catch so to speak...
I lead a VERY busy life already. 2 young kids, full-time job in a good field which I would not want to/can't give up, husband works as a missionary at a Christian camp, am a volunteer Firefighter/EMT. I'm interested, but not sure if I can fit it in. I love the products, it'd be fun and a little extra money to pay bills would be nice. However, my friend thinks one show per week would be the minimum I would need to make it work good. I'm torn between the potential benefits of doing it versus the time I'd have to give up those nights with my kids.

Anyone out there that works full-time with a family and does Pampered Chef? What pace do you keep up? What "minimum" do you find works? ...etc....

Open to hear some opinions out there...

Thanks in advance!

Hello! Just wanted to give you my story as you consider starting your own PC business. I work FT, have a 8 1/2 month daughter and work my PC business. My husband also works FT and is trying to get his real estate business off the ground; so things are busy around my house.

I've been a consultant for 2 years and up til this point have worked my business PT, holding 1-4shows a month. I'm hoping to step up my business for 2007, as my goal in starting my business was to earn enough to leave the corporate world and stay home with my family. I've found that catalog shows are wonderful, since they require less work on my end. Though, it can be challenging to get the catalog shows to "hold". So, I've found I have to stay in touch with my hostess more with a catalog show. It's important to find the balance that is going to work for you and your hostess. I use email alot.

My overall challenge is taking the time to work my business on a regular basis. It really is easier if I work my business in the same way, week in and week out, this way it becomes apart of the routine. I've also found that keeping a family calendar helps so we are both on the same page.

Working FT with a family and having a PC business is possible, but as with anything it will take work. However, what's great about this business, is you get to decide how much "work" that is. Good luck with your decision, keep us informed. I'd be happy to answer any other questions.

Heather

Last edited:
Thanks for the story - will keep you posted. I am hosting a show on March 30th (probably my 10th over the years - I host about 1 per year) booked off a friend's show and will be making my decision around then. My friend is great about "not bugging" me but being there to answer questions until then.

Looking forward to hearing more stories/opinions - thanks!

Janet,I also work full time, in addition to PC. It can be a challenge at times, depending on work and family situations. But the great thing about PC is that the minimum sales to stay active are not overwhelming. So if I need to back off for a month because a project at work is getting near a deadline, I can. You also found this forum, which is a great place to get tips and information. I hope this helps, and that we'll be seeing you around as a consultant, too!

The great thing about PC is that you can try it out and stop after your 6 shows. You will have fulfilled your agreement with The Pampered Chef and given the business and honest try. I joined PC just to get the stuff in the kit, and now it is even better for the same commitment. You can use some of your free product value from your show towards your kit to bring the price down, and you will earn any money spent back and more with your commissions. This is a wonderful business and quite risk free compared to other direct sales companies. I wish you good luck and hope to see you here often!

I also work full-time in addition to Pampered Chef. Plus my husband works two jobs, and we have 2 very active kids ages 13 and 10. In addition to our jobs, we are very involved in assisting/coaching their sports year round and believe it or not.....I just picked up another part time job because it looked like a fun place to be!!! Am I nuts!?!!?

I have also had 2 major surgeries during my 5 years with pampered chef....I have never gone inactive.

The beauty of the business is that you can do as many or as few shows as you'd like.

My goal for 2007 is to build some consistency in my schedule....I usually do anywhere from 1-3or 4 shows a month.....I would like to consistently do 3-4....and then go from there.

If you want to make money.....then 1 or 2 shows a month may not meet your goal.....personally, I bump my schedule up when I want a little more money or want to earn an incentive. But my main priority is my family's schedule.

Consitency is the key....no matter what your goal.

good luck with your decision

Melinda

Oh, I forgot to say I know some people in Rhinelander!! Is it a pretty small town?

janetupnorth said:
Good afternoon - I have owned Pampered Chef items since 1996 and throughout the years have thought off and on about being a consultant.

I am once again thinking about it...I have a friend at church that I'd be signing under who has been a consultant since 1998. She still hasn't made director so I know it would help her reach that goal.

Here's the catch so to speak...
I lead a VERY busy life already. 2 young kids, full-time job in a good field which I would not want to/can't give up, husband works as a missionary at a Christian camp, am a volunteer Firefighter/EMT. I'm interested, but not sure if I can fit it in. I love the products, it'd be fun and a little extra money to pay bills would be nice. However, my friend thinks one show per week would be the minimum I would need to make it work good. I'm torn between the potential benefits of doing it versus the time I'd have to give up those nights with my kids.

Anyone out there that works full-time with a family and does Pampered Chef? What pace do you keep up? What "minimum" do you find works? ...etc....

Open to hear some opinions out there...

Thanks in advance!
Hey! Fellow Wisconsinite (well... I lived there MOST of my life and my family is still there)! I can tell you that I have a couple consultants on my team who do 3-5 shows a month and make about $750-$900 each month and all of them work full time and have children - including me. So the potential there.

Read over the posts on this site and at the PC website to get a good idea of what it's about. We are all here to help you.

If you aren't working with someone I would be glad to send you some information.

Good luck!

Thanks again for the posts so far - reading them all...

To Gillian - yes, it is a pretty small area. I've only lived here 7 1/2 years, grew up in Racine.

Beth - Hello to you too...thanks for sharing about your consultant. I do have someone I'd be working with, but I appreciate the information offer. I have stayed pretty "well-versed" in Pampered Chef throughout the years although never a consultant...partially how I found this site. So needless to say, I'm not taking the decision lightly or I would have done it years ago.

I don't want to do anything "half-way" even if I choose to do only a few shows a month so why I'm taking ANOTHER 2 months to make the decision. I'm making sure it is the right decision for my family not to get free products, although I did like the looks of the new kit. ;)

Well, off to do some housework/schoolwork with the kids and then I'll be back to read.

Janet:

It's what you want out of it that will make it work for you. Try thinking about it now as to who would book shows from you if you decided to take the plunge. I'm sure some would rather do catalog shows than cooking shows and you could book x number of both a month. With all of your connections you could probably make it work while still doing all that you do.

PC often tells us to make up a list of 100 contacts that you can approach. We have cooking shows, catalog shows, bridal shower/wedding shower shows, fundraisers for example and if you get a website after you qualify you can have engaged couples set up a wedding registry on your site and of course you can have "online" web shows.

This site offers so much to all of us who are hear for different reasons.

Think about it more and ask away. Also make up a list of pros and cons and see what you come out with.

We'd love to have you join our online cluster!

HAHAHAHA...Honest advise is we love PC and you can do it your own pace with us to support you. You are gona hear all wonderful things here. It is great.

Good point - if I was looking for negatives, I wouldn't be here. ;) I truly do want to get the feel of it from those who also work full-time like me and how they do it and at what pace.

I work FT as well as PC. I have an almost 3 year old daughter. My husband works full time as well. Plus, we remodel houses on the side. So we are really busy. But we juggle everything well. Our house thing isn't an every day thing (couple months a year), so that helps. I can't say that I push PC as much as I would like to. I do one or 2 shows a month. The special incentive months, I do push it more. But that is the great things about PC, it's what you make of it. It's your business. I enjoy it, and it give me some "ME" time.

Janet:

You've come to the right place for advice and opinions! One of the very first online opportunities you would have as a consultant is the "Setting Goals" course (this is new this month for PC). The course really walks you through how to fit PC in your schedule month by month by having you schedule your family and work commitments first and then filling in the time you want to work your PC business. I'm sure that working full-time you'll need to make some adjustments at first, but you'll find a plan that works for you!

Good luck and keep us posted on your decision!

Mary

I also work full time along with doing PC. I also have a 4 year old sone who is extremely energetic but also the light in my life! I would like to do PC full time but can't right now. So it is possible! I have enjoyed every minute!

I don't work FT, but I can tell you that last year (my first full year) - I did 4 shows a month. Two "Home" shows and two "catalog" shows. It was great - I brought in average $500 a month and hit most of the consultant promotions. I also hit Level 1 of the incentive program. And my Oct/Nov/Dec sales paid for a great Christmas!! It was good for me & my family (3 young boys). I do plan to step it up this year - my February is packed, but I'm excited!
Joanne

I am a Single mom of 4 attending college full time (16 units) working and doing PC.
You decide what your priority is. My kids have always been #1 so I work PC part time around my kids schedule. I work in the pharmacy during school hours for the money but PC for Pleasure. Full time school is Culinary school & my teacher's credential. It is Possible to fit/blend it with whatever you choose. Just let your Friend/Director know what you want out of your business (Friendships/Sanity/Money/Entertainment/?) I'm sure she will support you in whatever you choose. Who knows you starting your own business might inspire others to start theirs as well. Good luck.:)

Here is my story. I work full time as an Administrator for an Adult Foster Care Home in Michigan (which is a 24 hour per day 7 days a week job). I also have a part time job as a mystery shopper. Plus do pampered chef. I have a 22 month old and another on the way. I have not been doing much with the pampered chef in the last couple of months but thats what is great with the flexibility of the pampered chef....I love the Pampered Chef and their products. Even if I only do 1-2 shows per month that is extra money in my pocket that I wouldnt have otherwise. Take your time and think about it. This forum is great, they give you so much support and encouragement and they even give you some great ideas.....

Eric

Ok, leaning towards this more and more...meeting probably on Thursday night with my friend to go over more details (I'm pretty well-versed in many after 11 years of being around it but she'll fill in the "other side"). I'll keep everyone posted later on my decision and ask if I have any questions. Thanks for the stories so far.

I can't answer your question about working a PC business around a FT job and a family. However, I can tell you that one of the things I love about TPC is that I am the one who defines success. My definition is probably different from everyone else's, but it's mine.

I sure hope you sign on Janet. You are quite at home with all of us here! How much longer before the ham and broccoli ring is ready?

1. How much can I expect to earn as a Pampered Chef consultant?

As a consultant, your earnings will depend on your sales and the number of parties you host. On average, consultants earn 20-25% commission on their personal sales. Additionally, you can earn bonuses for reaching certain sales goals and recruiting team members. The more you sell and grow your team, the more you can potentially earn.

2. What kind of support and training does Pampered Chef offer to new consultants?

Pampered Chef offers a comprehensive training program for new consultants, including online and in-person training sessions, as well as access to a mentor and a team of experienced consultants. We also provide resources such as marketing materials, online tools, and a personalized website to help you succeed in your business.

3. Do I need to have previous sales experience to become a Pampered Chef consultant?

No, previous sales experience is not required to become a Pampered Chef consultant. Our training program is designed to provide you with all the knowledge and skills you need to be a successful consultant. However, having a passion for cooking and sharing our products with others is beneficial.

4. Are there any monthly or annual fees to be a Pampered Chef consultant?

Yes, there is an annual fee of $109 to maintain your consultant status. This fee covers the cost of your personal website, access to training and support, and other business tools. There are no monthly fees, and your initial consultant kit is included in the fee.

5. Can I still be a Pampered Chef consultant if I have a full-time job or other commitments?

Yes, you can absolutely be a Pampered Chef consultant while also managing other commitments. Our business model allows for flexible scheduling, so you can work your business around your current schedule. You can host parties on evenings and weekends, and our online tools make it easy to manage your business from anywhere at any time.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• LTC
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
raebates
  • Kari L Ferrell
  • Pampered Chef Support Group
Replies
Views
ShellBeach
  • Kitchen Love Lauren