• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Teacher Success: Balancing Work and School Life

In summary, most teachers find it hard to do both their job and a business at the same time. They suggest doing catalog shows during the year to help generate business.
Pamprd_Heather
I've had quite a few leads who are teachers but they always tell me they just don't have time during the school year but maybe in the summer.

Any one out there a teacher who can share how they manage both? I'd love to share your stories/experiences with my potential recruits.

Thanks!:D

I used to be a teacher and I can say that I honestly think it would be a challenge to manage both because teachers do a lot of work at home as it is. Maybe encourage them to do catalog shows during the year though. There were always avon and mary kay ladies at the places that I worked. It was easy enough to order while you were at work by looking through the catalog and then they would deliver the products at work so you'd always get to see what other people ordered...... thereby inspiring the whole next month's worth of orders.... and so on.

:)

I am a teacher and signed up at the end of July. (Yes--I did
August as my Super Starter month along with the start of the school year!!) It does take effort, but I've been managing both okay. My intent has been to only have 1 or 2 shows a month (catalog shows are just icing on the cake, as they take so very little of my time.) Of course, I have always been a "multi-tasker" but most teachers I know are too. I am also secretary of a fraternal organization and mother of a 7 yr, old. I'm blessed with a wonderful, helpful, and supportive husband. I have found that my fellow staff members are my best customers and appreciate having a consultant so handy! I have a catalog posted in the teacher's lounge and the product practically sells itself. Most teachers have a HUGE contact network, especially if they've been at it for 18 years like I have! Just today I had a little corner set up at a friend's craft open house and a former student's mother walked in cold and placed a $70 order! Although I haven't found the time or right location yet--I also plan to have some of the kids cooking classes that I've read about here. (Ordering $50 or $60 worth of product for them ahead of time.) Finally (Sorry so long winded) --as I say at my shows; I love to cook, and standing up in front of people and telling them how to do something and educating them on something really isn't a stretch at all for me! Although I must admit I don't get as many blank stares from my customers as I do from my 2nd graders! And so far I haven't had any discipline problems!

I'm a teacherI'm a teacher and I started in July as well. Most teachers you run into are in need to more cash. I've been keeping my business to two shows per month and one catalog show. I typically make Monday night my PC night because I usually don't have too many papers to grade on a Monday night. I usually only do weekend shows because it's too hard for me to home from school, get ready for a weekday show, come home, clean up, and then face my 28 gems the next morning. Friday night shows are hard--but I can make those work.

I started PC while I was a teacher too. I began PC last in October 2005 and worked both until I quit teaching in June to stay home with my baby. I did four shows a month (I didn't have any kids of my own at the time) and only did them on weekends. I had been teaching for 10 years, so that helped too. I'm sure if you are a new teacher, doing both would be overwhelming!

Yes- weeknight shows are harder, I try to get mine on Fridays or Saturdays if at all possible. We all have certain nights where we know that the next day will be easier--I agree that Monday's are good--I'm usually not too buried in paperwork by then! I second the motion that most teachers need more cash! (so we can reinvest it in our classrooms :)

I'm a third year Pre-K teacher. September was my SS1 and also the start of school! I had 5 shows my first month and have gone up from there. I find that I don't mind doing weeknight shows as long as they are close to home. Shows that call for me to drive a ways, I always schedule on a weekend. So far I haven't found it TOO overwhelming, but I am just finishing SS3 and am still on a high from earning all those free products...every show seems worth it. When I originally signed up with PC I thought I would mostly schedule catalog shows during the school year and then hit it hard in the summer. Honestly though, I enjoy my kitchen shows...I always say its my time with big people since I spend all day with 4 year olds. Also on my side is the fact that I don't have any kids of my own yet. If I were trying to recruit a teacher I would stress the added income because as we've all said...teachers need $$...and point out the flexibility...catty shows during school year and kitchen shows in summer or just do kitchen shows on weekends or whatever works for her...I strongly believe almost anyone can make a go of this bussiness if they want to! HTH!
Becky

In our Grand Junction cluster we have two directors who are full time teachers. One has teenaged children at home and the other has a school ager, a toddler, and a preschooler. They are both very successful directors, submitting between $1250-$8000 in sales per month. We also have two new full time teachers from a nearby town, one of which just promoted to director after being in PC for less than six months, the other getting ready to promote, both doing plenty of shows per month. One is single, no kids, the other has a husband and small child.

I was a full-time teacher before deciding to stay home with my kids and sub occassionally. With kids I could not imagine being a consultant due to the time factor. I do tell my guests at shows, though, that I can make more money at one show than I do for a day of subbing. Also, there is a teacher in my cluster that has done an incredible job and teaches full-time (no kids yet). She consistantly has high sales and I've lost track of the number of recruits she has so far. I believe part of her success is that she got her business up and running over the summer and had a good customer base by the time the school year started.

I"m a teacher full time. I do 4-6 shows a month. I signed last april and May was my SS1. I've done well (hit 15000 in October and am consistently at the top of my cluster) and don't really have any conflicts with doing both. I don't bring work home from school with me either, so that helps. I really enjoy doing this and meeting such great people. I will say that I don't recruit or desire to recruit. If someone is interested, I pass on the info. Otherewise, I'm pretty much in this for me... and the free stuff of course!

Thank you all for sharing! I created a printout with bits and pieces of everyones stories and suggestions and gave it to 3 teachers already...2 called me saying they want to get started! Thanks to you all, I'll be signing #4 in Jan! (now if I can get them all qualified and remain active and find #5 I'll be thrilled!)

Can you post your printout? Thanks.

Trish

Teacher and 6 time trip earner and 3 time tpcAnyone can fit this in to any schedule and make it successful. 8 will make you great. I also manage a team and am an Adv . director. This business is very flexible and I would just let them know that.

I am a former teacher of 9 years and am actually returning to work in January after a year and a half off. I plan to attempt a couple of shows a month, if it doesn't work, I'll have to quit!

I am a 1st grade teacher and just beginning my PC career!! I am very excited!! I should be receivng my starter kit this week!! I see how it may get hectic at times, but I think tha twill be the beauty of it all. I know when school gets stressfull and I know when there is not too much going on... That way I can schedule shows around my schedule!!!

What are some tips for teachers to successfully balance work and school life?

Some tips for teachers to successfully balance work and school life include setting boundaries, prioritizing tasks, delegating responsibilities, and taking breaks for self-care.

How can teachers effectively manage their time to balance work and school life?

Teachers can effectively manage their time by creating a schedule or to-do list, setting aside dedicated time for work and personal life, and learning to say no to additional tasks or commitments.

What are some ways for teachers to reduce stress and avoid burnout?

Some ways for teachers to reduce stress and avoid burnout include practicing relaxation techniques, seeking support from colleagues or a therapist, and setting realistic expectations for themselves.

What are some strategies for teachers to maintain a healthy work-life balance?

Strategies for teachers to maintain a healthy work-life balance include setting boundaries, prioritizing self-care, maintaining a positive mindset, and having a support system.

How can teachers overcome the challenges of balancing work and school life?

Teachers can overcome the challenges of balancing work and school life by finding a balance that works for them, communicating their needs to colleagues and supervisors, and seeking help when needed.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• babywings76
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
EmilyStraw
  • finley1991
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
tpchefpattie
  • mrssyvo