• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Overcoming Challenges to Join the Party: Advice for Recruits

In summary, the hostess said she has a bad back and cannot lift anything to bring to parties. She said she would let me know. What would you have said different? I don't think there is much more you could say except that she will have to have someone load the car for her and have her hostess unload it. Maybe give her hostess an extra thank you gift for doing it.
TinasKitchen
I have a possible recruit who said she'd love to do it, has her daughter pushing her to do it but her response to me was that she has a bad back and cannot lift anything to bring to parties. I explained that we have some who use a rolling case that helps w/ the struggle and also you do not have to bring more than what you need to demo that recipe.

She said she'd let me know.
What would you have said different?

I don't think there is much more you could say except that she will have to have someone load the car for her and have her hostess unload it. Maybe give her hostess an extra thank you gift for doing it.

I am not sure of the answer, but I can write you that a very successful Director in Georgia broke her back last year. She then had a $10,000 sales month. She continues to deal with a lot of back problems, but continues with a very strong Pampered Chef business. I think she go TPC in Balanced Business this year.

My guess is there might be an additional reason, but this might be her surface reason. I guess I would ask her, "If I can help you by getting advice from other Consultants who have had to deal with health issues while running their businesses, is this something you would be interested in?" If the answer is yes, find other Consultants with whom you can contact.

Lisa

Ask her what her weight limits are. Show her that this is a genuine concern from you also. The rolling tote is great till you have to use stairs. She could consider packing lighter bags instead of the crate and rolling tote.

I have a bad shoulder and if I have to use stairs with the rolling tote I'm in alot of pain for a few days.

I have a bad back and personally the rolling crate is much worse to use than the crates. I just have to be careful to distribute the weight evenly and not get carried away with what I bring - lol.

I love the look of the rolling crate but I only use it for fairs and things like that - I tried for about 4 or 5 months to use it when I first got it but ended up with too many houses with stairs or gravel drive ways. Oh, and I always was careful to not pack the rolling crate with anything heavy.

I now carry the large tote from the show to go set, the TTTote, a crate and a smaller tote with catalogs and other paperwork. Separates the weight pretty well and hasn't stressed my back - too much.

Any excuse will do....I've got a bad back, arthritis just about everywhere, and I'm disabled (though most people wouldn't know it to look at me). I find that people are always asking how they could help. Well, they can help by carrying in my stuff. :D

There's a story where one neighbor asks another to borrow his lawnmower. The owner of the mower says that he can't borrow it because the owner's wife is making meatloaf. When the other neighbor asks what that has to do with the lawnmower, the owner replies, "When you really don't want to do something, any excuse will do."

I'd let the woman know that there are ways of getting around her back problems. Then I'd let her go from there to decide on her own. She may be genuinely concerned about the carrying and standing (she can sit, I've done it and explained why I had to sit, no one cared), or she may just be making the excuse to get out of it without having to say no.

I agree with Jennifer! It sounds like she is just making excuses, but if she is truly concerned about this suggest she holds the shows in her own home. It is a selling point for hosts because they don't have to clean. I have done shows where I bring one piece of stoneware, one piece of cookware, one piece of S.A. and a few new products. It was nice to just throw those few things in a bag and go. It also helps me remember to focus on those three groups of products, because if I don't show them in the catalog and talk about the benefits of owning them, I won't sell any!!

Also let her know that most times, the host's hubby will help with the crates! I have back problems as well...not as bad as I used to, but still. My crates tend to be heavier after the show as I separate clean and dirty, but by then the boys have come back to get the food and are more than happy to hurry up and get you out lol!

Have shows at her own home. Or, just do catalog and online parties.

Sorry the bad back is not a very good excuse...we have a girl in our cluster that only has one leg! She has never used prosthetics and uses crutches to get around, she has been extremely successful for years....

It sounds like she would fit into PC just fine.

With everyone having back problem - is sounds like the norm.

I have been having back problems for years and then finally went to the doctors, about 3 years ago, the doctor told me that I had a small facture at the base of my spine. He told me to loose about 50 pounds and if it still hurt to come back. He said that it should heal it self. Well, I have lost about 10pounds and it still hurts. The days that it hurts really bad, I ask the host to help and then I tell the guest that I need to sit during the demonstration and no problem. Everything we do is so versatile. It also shows that our job is so flexible that many people with different problems can do the job, so there shouldn't be any excuses

Thanks Ladies! When I had asked her about her concern she had replied that she didnt know.. maybe she would try it, she'd see. Her show is in November and I feel that maybe by then she'd have time to think about it. I dont like push people into feeling that b/c they took the info, I need them to sign asap. When host coaching I will talk more about it with her. I'll also explain that I too have a bad back and I try to limit what I bring to shows. I dont have cronic back problems like some but trust me, my back kills after a show if I lift the wrong way. I think knowing that she can still do this might help out. It seems her daughter wants her to do it more than she does. I even gave her daughter in law (b/c she already left) a copy of Empowering Women for her to look over. I hope that helps out.
Thanks!

soonerchef said:
Sorry the bad back is not a very good excuse...we have a girl in our cluster that only has one leg! She has never used prosthetics and uses crutches to get around, she has been extremely successful for years....
Andrea, that is so inspriring!

I have to agree with everyone here...The only excuse there should ever be is, "I don't want to". I admire all of you with back problems and the lady missing the leg. If you want something bad enough you will endure. I know all too well as I have a very bad left leg. I'm the guy who got celulitis last December and almost lost it to the infection. It will never be 100% again. I have days when it just refuses to do what I need it to do and it hurts quite alot. Anne, when we were at conference, did you notice the limp? or did I hide it well enough? When I got home Saturday night, it was about twice it's normal size and it hurt for about a week. But I did it anyway. I knew it would be hard. I love PC enough to endure that. It won't kill me as long as I "listen" to my body and do quit when it says too. But I go on anyway. My doctor gripes that I work it to hard. To bad!
And besides, if you do not have a bad back, wait! Carry that roller case upstairs a few hundred times! It is a real back breaker!
Now here is the kicker. There is NOTHING you can tell her to change her mind if she really doesn't want to do it. Her excuse will probably not change so as to not hurt anyones feelings. Physical disability is the best way to get out of something. And you know as well as I do, that if something were to happen and she really got hurt, you would feel awful. So don't push it. If she wants it she will come to you. If she doesn't, you have no choice but to move on.

John, I didn't really notice a limp, slightly, but you were carrying that tote and I was just plain having a rough time with my asthma.

You are right... she will overcome it if she wants to. With many of the objections I get like that, I ask, "Is that something you're ok with or something you'd like to improve?" If she has problems with her back and does some more activity, it may actually help it. I have a few stretches I do with my crate (not completely full), some I got from the trainer at the gym.

I'm sorry Anne, but when I read your post I pictured a new DVD workout brought to you by Pampered Chef. Join PC, and use your crate to lose that weight! Catchy, don't you think??

I love that idea!!!

I use a medicine ball at the gym, but my crate at home. I like the idea. We could call it the Pampered Workout. Hey, those crescent rolls add up!

I can see you walking laps with a meat tenderizer in each hand!!

gilliandanielle said:
I can see you walking laps with a meat tenderizer in each hand!!
hmmmm.... another use for the product!

Neer thought of that.

Oh man we got a whole new line!It think that's great! A great crate to lose weight!
Ouch! I hurt myself with that one. And Gillian you're right. Those meat tenderizers would be perfect. Not to mention easier than most weights becasue the handle is ergonomically designed!
Oo got another one. I don't know what they call them but you bend at the waist, then pick up weights without straightneing back up. Almost like a stand up rowing motion. Use the Rolling Cart!
Now I guess I have to get my routine down. (I better loose some weight before next conference or I could never get believers!)

She doesn't have to do any cooking shows. She could stricktly do catalogs shows only.

You guys won't believe this- I joked about using the meat tenderizers as weights and a lady bought two!! She wanted to buy something from the show but doesn't cook AT ALL, so she is the proud new owner of Pampered Weights!!

That's Pretty Funny!

I was kinda like...um....okay, let me write up your order. I was dumbfounded!

Hey, how did this thread get so off track? It's worse than the Detours in Chicago in the Summer! ;)

By the way, I have 6 screws and 2 titanium rods in my 43 year old back...and don't let it stop me! My hubby and 16 year old son help me carry my things to the car and back into the house after the show...and at the show, everyone always ask if they can help.

I say give it a go -- you will never know unless you try!

I think I was tongue and cheek that becoming a consultant could help strengthen your back seeing as I use my crate as part of a workout when I can't get to the gym.

Hey, whatever works, Anne! :D

I always joke that it is my exercise routine....3 days a week, right? ;)

My back is a mess also. Disc problems and arthritis in back and hip. My hubby carries to and from car, and I do what I can. I have learned that if you want to do it, you will find a way to do it, and then keep your limitations in mind, rest when you need to, and ask for help when you need it.

1. How can I overcome physical limitations or challenges to join the party?

There are a few options to consider when it comes to physical limitations or challenges. First, you can look into using a rolling case or bag to help with carrying items to the party. This can greatly reduce the strain on your back and make it easier to transport any necessary items. Additionally, you do not have to bring more than what is needed to demonstrate the recipe, so you can keep it minimal and manageable. Another option is to ask for assistance from a friend or family member who can help you with any heavy lifting or carrying.

2. What if I am worried about not being able to keep up with the demands of the party?

It is understandable to have concerns about keeping up with the demands of a party, especially if you have physical limitations. However, it is important to remember that you do not have to do everything alone. You can ask for help from other party members or even delegate tasks to others. Communicate your concerns with the party organizer and they can work with you to ensure you have a successful and enjoyable experience.

3. I am not very outgoing, can I still be successful at these parties?

Absolutely! Being outgoing is not a requirement for success at these parties. Many successful party representatives are more introverted, but are able to connect with others and share their passion for the products they are representing. It is important to be genuine and authentic, rather than trying to be someone you are not. People will appreciate your honesty and enthusiasm for the products.

4. Will joining the party require a lot of time and effort?

The amount of time and effort required for joining a party can vary based on your individual goals and dedication. However, it is important to remember that you are in control of your schedule and can set boundaries for yourself. It is also important to prioritize and focus on tasks that will have the most impact on your success. Additionally, you can always reach out to your party organizer for support and guidance.

5. What if I am not familiar with the products or don't know how to properly demonstrate them?

As a party representative, it is important to familiarize yourself with the products you are representing. However, it is also okay to not know everything. You can always do research, ask questions, and practice before the party. Additionally, you can also invite a more experienced party representative to co-host with you or ask for their assistance during the party. With practice and experience, you will become more confident and knowledgeable about the products.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• MannikMom
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
cookinforyou
  • leslieprichett
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
leslieprichett
  • Sheila