• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

I Learned What Not to Say to a Potential Recruit!

In summary, the vendor at the Passion Party table told me that she makes three times what I do, and that her average show is $700. I told her that I am happy with my current business, and that I am not interested in selling her product.
AJPratt
Silver Member
WOW! I attended a Bridal Expo on Sunday. I made my way around the room to meet the other vendors. I stopped by the Passion Party table. She seemed friendly enough. And then, it happened...
Her: "So, what do you really make?"
Me: About a $100-$150 a show
Her: "And what's your average show?
Me: About $700.
Her: LAUGHS and then blurts "I make THREE times what you do."
Me: "Wow, that's great." (who cares)
Her: "I know you would be great at this." (uh-huh)
Me: "Well, thank you but I'm happy with PC."
Her: "But PC doesn't pay as well, and they are soo expensive, and its not a wide market... plus with PP you don't have to carry all that stuff around or cook anything." (OK... now she's getting pushy.)
Me: "Do you have to carry an inventory?"
Her "No, but you can and I find that most guests want to buy on the spot."
Me: "So, to be really successful with PP, I'd have to carry inventory."
Her: "That's up to you. So what do you think... do you want to make more money or not."
Me: "I think I can stand up in church and talk about my PC business. I couldn't do that with yours. And, all I carry is one crate, no heavier than a bag of groceries. But thanks anyway."

WOW. I got a good look at what NOT to do.

I'm with you Anne. I don't know how many ppl I could tell if I sold PP!

I have had the same experince with longaberger and signature home styles consultants..... and all I wanted was a party exchange...

AJPratt said:
WOW! I attended a Bridal Expo on Sunday. I made my way around the room to meet the other vendors. I stopped by the Passion Party table. She seemed friendly enough. And then, it happened...
Her: "So, what do you really make?"
Me: About a $100-$150 a show
Her: "And what's your average show?
Me: About $700.
Her: LAUGHS and then blurts "I make THREE times what you do."
Me: "Wow, that's great." (who cares)
Her: "I know you would be great at this." (uh-huh)
Me: "Well, thank you but I'm happy with PC."
Her: "But PC doesn't pay as well, and they are soo expensive, and its not a wide market... plus with PP you don't have to carry all that stuff around or cook anything." (OK... now she's getting pushy.)
Me: "Do you have to carry an inventory?"
Her "No, but you can and I find that most guests want to buy on the spot."
Me: "So, to be really successful with PP, I'd have to carry inventory."
Her: "That's up to you. So what do you think... do you want to make more money or not."
Me: "I think I can stand up in church and talk about my PC business. I couldn't do that with yours. And, all I carry is one crate, no heavier than a bag of groceries. But thanks anyway."

WOW. I got a good look at what NOT to do.

Anne,
She is one of the few out there whom actually makes money at this then, because I have several friends and acquaintances whom sell or have tried to sell this line. All of them made horrible or no money, had trouble getting shows, etc. Most have a second company they sell for or have just quit all together.

So you mean you're not signing up Anne? LOL, just kidding:) Talk about pushy; & I can't imagine them having 3 times the sales as us! Maybe she makes more per show, but if you're figuring inventory & such that takes the higher amount away. And like you said...I think I'd be too embarassed to admit I sold that stuff:eek:

I was just imagining if I was walking along and dropped my crate of PP stuff. She said her shows are about $1800, which I just don't believe.

That's funny because....I think I have only been invited to one of those kinds of parties two times in my whole life (and DID NOT go), but have been invited to PC parties about a million times.

OH - Come on Anne - you could whip up a Chicken braid in a little nighty - couldn't you??? :)~~

AJPratt said:
I was just imagining if I was walking along and dropped my crate of PP stuff. She said her shows are about $1800, which I just don't believe.

She must know some randy ppl, LOL!

I had a similar conversatiom with a MK rep...except the inventory part (snicker snicker...that's where I got her to back off - LOL).
So...what did she say to your church comment?? LOLOLOL

PCGINA said:
OH - Come on Anne - you could whip up a Chicken braid in a little nighty - couldn't you??? :)~~
Not without burning the girls.

dannyzmom said:
I had a similar conversatiom with a MK rep...except the inventory part (snicker snicker...that's where I got her to back off - LOL).
So...what did she say to your church comment?? LOLOLOL
She just smiled.

ROFL that is too funny Anne!!!

Well, she might make more money....gross but not profit. I have compared our commission and host benefits to several other direct selling companies. Yes, they make more up front commission, but they buy all of their host incentives, they never get free supplies unless it is a sales incentive, some have to pay a service charge for sending an order...and the list goes on. In the end, they might make 20% commission. It looks really good until you take all of that into consideration.

I remembered this summer I did a show for a passion party gal; didn't know she did that until the show was booked & was thankful she didn't ask me to host for her:eek: Anyway, she was telling me that for her to accept credit cards she would have to buy her own machine & all the fees that go along with it; and there was something else crazy but I can't think of it now!

She thinks that PP has a wider market them PC? I know a lot more people that eat than use sex toys!! Plus ALL our starter shows are with friends and family, and I REFUSE to sell lingerie and naughty things to my mom and MIL!! Yuck!

Yeah it's bad enough my MIL isn't into PC, I couldn't IMAGINE trying to sell her PP!

I think she had a bad experience with something breaking and did not send it back. I told DH we should get her something for Christmas ;)

LisaGo for the new Covered Baker. That would be very difficult to break but extremely handsome with a wonderful cassarole in it!
As for the PP thing. Just that scares me! (PP - PeePee! Funny the nicknames are the same!) I actually met someone too who does that. I made the mistake of asking that one questions. Guys? Well, she just about shoved one of the darn "things" in my face and said that was a wonderful idea. I have to admit, I hang with a few kinky people who would love that stuff but geez! But I mean a few. So where else do you go? Could you imagine a pic of a big ole, well, you know, on the grocery store bulletin board or even on the BB at work! Plus a fact I don't think I could keep a straight, pun intended, face through a demo! And how do you demo? Could you even talk about what to do with those things? Oh my, I am embarassing myself just thinking about it! YYYEEEWWWW!

Way to Go Anne!

For your demo, you pass 'em around. Really. I've heard that.

Thanks John...might not do that piece but maybe another piece of stoneware...good thinking! Especially since I'm the host of a fundraiser this month (I'm on the committee and they wanted me to chair!) so I can order a host special...hmm....

Oh and Anne, you are right. I haven't been to a PP party but one for another company a few years back. Of course they have more than just the THINGS. Massage lotions and other things are more tame. But I still couldn't sell it!

I use everything that I bring to my shows, so I couldn't do PP. I wouldn't want to pass any of those "things" around, much less if I had to use them and show my personal collection. Eww!

Omg!Have any of you seen what they offer? I just went to their website and couldn't believe my eyes! Some of that stuff actually states that it is gynecologist recommended for bladder control! :eek:

I don't think I could ever sell PP to my relatives or friends or neighbors or anyone that I might ever meet walking down the street ever again. I'm proud, though, to tell everyone and anyone that I sell PC. :D

I can believe that she has shows that avg $1800, because I've been to a few shows and couldn't believe how expensive that sort of stuff is. The first show I attended the lady had actually quit her fulltime job as a Labor & Delivery Nurse. My friend told me that I should book a show, that she'd got tons of free stuff because her show was over $2000!

My MIL babysits for me on the weekend so I can do shows. I know for a fact that she wouldn't be willing to help out if she knew that I sold PP!

I just went on their site. http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/sprachlos/speechless-smiley-003.gif I could never imagine talking about that stuff. It is expensive, but then again, I don't know the going rate for some of that stuff anyway.

Reading this thread has got me laughing so hard that my mascara is all smeared....now I have to reapply my make-up! You all crack me up!

I met a gal that sold PP a while ago and she carried her inventory around with her all the time in her trunk....can you just imagine what the scene would be like if she had an accident?!:eek:

Lol
pamperedlinda said:
can you just imagine what the scene would be like if she had an accident?!:eek:

Or a flat tire, having to explain it to the tow truck driver? Or to the police if they pulled her over because they thought she was acting funny and asked to look in her trunk? :D

i had a friend who sold PP stuff. She was somewhat successful, but her mission was somewhat different. She was an MFT (marriage/family therapist) and as such noticed during marriage sessions that sex was a huge topic for her married clients. So she took on PP as part of her interest in helping women feel more comfortable with their bodies and their sexuality. That said, she wasn't pushy at all.

Can you imagine returns?? I am not mailing those things!!!

Did the PP consultant tell you that the Hosts DO NOT get any free product. A lady that sells it hosted a pc show for me and we got to talking about it. If you buy the $100 kit, i think you make 10% commission, to make the 40% comissions, you have to buy a $400 kit-YIKES!!!! When I asked what the host received for doing the party, she looked at me and said, nothing! i said why would people want to do a party for you then? They have to buy food for guests, have there house spotless, etc. and you don't give them anything, and she looked at me like I was crazy and said why would I want to spend my money I make from selling pp to buy the host something? I just laughed and went on with my business. Her highest show is only about $400 BUT her recruiter had 5 people at a show the night before that the girl attended and and show was $900.

I think she makes 10% of what her downline sells since she bought the $400 kit.

As for what lacey said about the credit card machine, she didn't tell me that BUT I bought some lotions from her and paid half with cash and half with cc and my credit card never got charged.....i almost called her but she was such a jerk in the first place I figured I would let it go.

OMG...... I haven't laughed this hard in a very long time........ I would die of embrassement to host a show like that....

Anne you are so funny!

Why, thank you! http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/aetsch/cheeky-smiley-004.gif

I am just picturing that...Get rear ended while your "samples" are in the trunk and well, I think anyone coming to the rescue would die of laughter. I know I'd be laying in the road hurting from laughing so hard! (I don't embarass easily but I think that would just abotu do it!)
I talked to the lady who hosted the show. I almost died! Now, she invited 35 people. 18 showed. The grand total was $277 dollars. And she got nothing for hosting. Then I had to laugh after reading one of the other posts - 2 of the credit cards never got charged. Apparently the signal wasn't good enough. It looks like it goes through but because they are wireless devices, it may not get received at the other end. She didn't call either. I would imagine that the compnay behind this will nto be in business very long if they are accidentally giving away product. It has to add up eventually. To me that means poorly run. Poorly run means Not Successful. And someone also mentioned something about the consultant said. Unpaid for CC charges she thinks comes out of the consultants pocket if it can not be traced back.
Oh well though. To each their own!

The only this funnier than me with "samples" strewn all over the road is you with the "samples", John!!

I can just see his face now.

I have to say that the thing I talk about with PC is that there is no "buyer's remorse" becauase while we treat ourselves as "chefs", what we buy benefits our whole family.

What? Their "samples" don't benefit their family? I bet PP has never tried that angle before!

"Our mission is to get the family gathered around the ....bedroom?" No thanks!!

A friend of mine works at the manufacturer where they import all of those lotions and "things" and the mark up is really high. She can get me those nice smelling lotions for about a dollar. On the "other" products, they are about 10-15 dollars and are selling at the PP shows for 130.00!!
I went to one show since a friend of mine started selling it (she's pretty racy) and she has only had 1 other show in the past 6 months. I can't even have a show for her because I don't know who to invite. What would I do with the kids?? My friends are PC and Party Lite freaks (so are my kids). I think after spending the 400.00 for the kit, she's regretting it. :(

I would do a show as a complete laugh, but I don't know how much $ it would be.

You want to talk about a limited market??? Good grief!!! Not everyone buys adult toys!!! But, who doesn't want to, need to, or have to cook for themselves or their families???? And who doesn't need to eat??? Good grief!!! :)

Way to go, Anne!! We are all in the right place for us!
Jaye :)

On a funny note about Passion Party and Slumber Party - I had an old girlfriend, who started selling it. She wanted me to have a show, but at the time, I had no one to invite. Well, she got pulled over for a broken tail-light, well the cop was trying to be nice and see if it was a loose bulb and asked her to open her trunk. She had her "toy box" in there and was was begging the officer, "please don't make me open my trunk!?" It's a funny story! But, glad that I don't have to do that! :)

I did end up having a Slumber Party, when a group of girlfriends thought it would be fun to do for me as a bachelorette thing. We had a fun time, but I would never host another one.

Jaye

Not to burst anyone's bubble, but I have a good friend who sells stuff like this, but with another company that is very professional and well run. She does keep an inventory and has to pay 6% on credit card orders, but she is busy 5 nights a week and is able to pay a house payment, car payment, and for food for two kids and a husband (who is on military disability...they do get some money there, mainly for medical expenses). She is very professional and nonjudgemental and is actually going to school full time as a Biology major. We sometimes debate the benefits of each business, but it truly is that she preferrs to have an inventory and get paid that night and I prefer the way PC does things. Plus, I'm not sure if I could stand up there and talk about products I don't actually use. As for the toys, you DO have a set for the shows that is ONLY for the shows. You do not use them yourself. I don't want to upset anyone, but I just felt after reading this that I would be embarrassed to show this to my friend...who, by the way, was a contact from a fair we were both doing...we swapped shows. In fact, I ended up having to cohost the show with another friend because all men and children had to be out of the house for the duration for legal reasons, and my hubby is not one to go out. Granted, some of the products are not for me, nor would I invite my mother. However, there is a place for everything. Imagine people who cannot copulate due to broken backs. Imagine people who grew up in such a strict religious home that they have a problem with adult time with a spouse. I understand that some of it is not for everyone, but she had an amazing take on some of the stuff she showed. For instance, they carry Ph balanced bubble bath. That might not seem fabulous, but for those of you who have Ph balance issues and cannot take bubble bath for fear of an infection, this lets you. There is another bubble bath which is glow-in-the-dark. Fun time with hubby and a black light...cheap date. ALSO great to get boys into the tub because you can tell them it is toxic waste. They can't WAIT to get in!Oh, and about the BenWa balls that help with bladder control...it is scientifically proven that they do because they strengthen the muscles in that area. They are fabulous for ladies who have had babies as well as keep you from having to wear diapers in your older years.Anyhoo, just wanted to give everyone another take on the products. I could never do it, but there are people who say that about PC. As for the pushy people, you find them in every line of sales...and they suck!

Kate,

I could never sell it and I don't think that there is THAT big of a market for it. I did host a show and I had a great time and I got some stuff for me and new hubby... massage lotions, etc.

I agree, there are uses for everything! It can be fun, but I can't imagine selling it.

And that whole carrying inventory thing? I don't think so. :)

Good luck to you and your friend!
Jaye

Thanks for posting this Kate! It does show a different side of that business. We have been picking on PP, but everyone has their loyalties, and maybe on the PP boards they have conversations about how much PC sucks. I could never sell PP stuff or even hold a show, but I'm sure that some people are very successful with that!

Websites vs actual shows...I would think that their website would get FAR more business than people going to a show would create. Personally, I would DIE if anyone ever physically saw me buy 3/4 of the stuff they offer (maybe it's my "old age" showing itself). I would be far more willing to at least check out the inventory online in the privacy of my own home without any of my friends checking out any purchases I might make. I did notice that their website is on an auto-rotater so that a variety of consultants have a chance at getting a sale rather than just the same person all the time, which is nice.

If you look around, there are TONS of those kinds of stores around (usually with no windows), and then there's that old woman on Lifetime (I think it's on Lifetime) that is always talking about sex toys and acts (like getting sex advice from your grandmother...creepy, yet compelling...like watching a traffic accident where you just can't turn away). I do think there's a HUGE market out there for that kind of product, but I think more people than not would be too embarrassed to have their friends and family know what they do behind closed doors to be a successful "show" product line.

That said, that glow-in-the-dark bubble bath sounds COOL!!!! :D

Kate: I don't think you upset anyone at all! I think they offer a great product, by I personally, could never sell it. My reason for starting this thread was how rude the lady was while trying to recruit me. The actual products themselves are secondary. As with many other threads, we tend to get off topic, but I just go with the flow.

I am thrilled that your friend has experienced success in direct sales! I have been invited to parties but on both occaisions I was sick and couldn't make it. I would certainly go to see what the hype is about but it wouldn't be a good fit in my life to sell it.

I didn't realize legally the men had to be out of the room...interesting!

From the one I remember going to like 6 years ago, you go into an adjoining room to order, so NO ONE knows what you got unless you tell them! I guess that is why I'm partial to doing my PC order taking that way. Not that anyone cares what PC stuff you bought, but I still don't think it's the other guests' business what a customer spends!

I've been to a couple of PP shows and the only thing I remember about the first one was some woman volunteering that she was ordering a negligee for her husband. That was a bit tmi for me, if you know what I mean. Otherwise I've found them very tasteful, considering the product. I don't think there's anything wrong or shocking about sex or sex products though. I wouldn't choose to sell it, but I do think it's a perfectly honest home business and I'm glad someone is having such a great time and doing so well at it!

She was ordering it for her husband to wear?!?

cmdtrgd said:
She was ordering it for her husband to wear?!?
WOW! That would definitely be TMI!!

lisacb77 said:
I didn't realize legally the men had to be out of the room...interesting!

At least for here, they can't even be in the house. Aparently it could possibly be seen as solicitation.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• kittychef
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
dkitten13
  • chefgirlrd
  • Pampered Chef Recruiting
Replies
Views
Sheila
  • msmileyface