• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

Shy Cheffers... I Need Your Help!!!

In summary, the girl is very shy and has a new consultant who is very awkward. The tough thing is, the consultant wants to be helpful but the consultant isn't very shy. The consultant has done some shows, but still has a lot to learn. The girl is also very shy, but has been doing the same thing since June. The girl has nothing on her calendar, but she is trying. The girl also has a difficult time reading people, but the recruiter knows she will do well.
AJPratt
Silver Member
So, I guess you can all imagine that I'm not shy. The tough thing is, I have a new consultant who is very awkward and very shy. I don't want to come off mean, because I adore this girl, but I want to give you and honest description so you can possibly help me. For example, at one expo, where we always try to get people to fill out entries, I kept encouraging her. I was very proud that she was there at all. She sees a lady come near, I can see her working up her courage and then lunges at the lady and blurts out: "Do you want something free!?" The woman looked at her like a nut, giving her a weird look, and kept on going. I thought that was rude of the lady, but whatever. So... what can I do to help? I can't pretend to know what she's going through because I'm just not shy. Please help. I don't want her to be discouraged and I want to be able to help her be successful. I want this to be a good thing for her because I really think she needs it.

Have her practice a lot with you, with others in your cluster, and with friends and family. The more she practices the more comfortable she will get. Yes I really do mean walking up to people at cluster meetings and saying "would you like to get free kitchen products". Prep the cluster people to give her different responses from positive to "blah" to negative. Find other events where you can go with her to be "back up" so she can work on the hook and then hand them over to you at first. I

I would also make sure that she has "scripts". That is what I did with a consultant of mine that was the same way, I gave her scripts (that are long gone...the computer they were on died) and she memorized them. Once she used those scripts she learned how and what to say and eventually came out of her shell and began to use her own words.

At cluster meetings, does your team ever do "role playing"? This is a great way to get shy consultants to open up a bit. Let her know before the meeting what you'd like her to do, and set her up with a more seasoned consultant as her role playing partner to come up with dialogue.

Good Luck!

I agree with the role playing..... But, as someone who is shy myself, I'm not comfortable with role playing. In my mind, it just seems so silly. Is there anyway you can talk with her about what she sees her own trouble areas as? That way you're not the one deciding what she needs to change/focus on, she is. Just an idea.

My new consultant has been doing this since June. She has done two shows (very small) and submitted one huge personal order. She still has to qualify. She has nothing on her calendar. She has had people told her that they want to do shows, but she won't follow up. I have given her some scripts but I don't know if she has used them. I ask her if she has tried them and I get strange answers. She hasn't been to a show. I have tried to get her to my shows or anyone's in my area. Her job (Shoprite) has unpredictable hours. She talks herself out of everything. She seems like she quits before she even gets started. I have spent a lot of time with her and so has my director. We come up with lists of things to do, that she says she's comfrotable with doing and then she either loses that list or doesn't do anything. She is very young, and lives with her Dad, but I just can't reach her.

It sounds like she hasn't found anything to motivate her...she doesn't have that "thing" to make her get going. Have you tried finding what her "thing" might be and stressing that?

The girl that signed up with me on the 24th is the same way. She is 22 & still lives at home. Maybe this is an age thing? Anyway, I do know what you're feeling.... Knowing that someone would do so well at something & then they aren't as motivated. My recruit is so difficult to read sometimes, but I know that she'll do well. She called last night to ask some questions, so at least I know that she's trying & will contact me if she needs help. It sounds like she just needs to see that this will benefit her & get motivated, like Andrea said!

Yes, Anne, I can't imagine you being shy;) I was really shy in school, I'd gotten a little better in college. But this has helped me soooo much. Just getting up there in front of people, teaching them new things is exciting to me. I used to get so nervous, but I really don't anymore. Let her know just fake it 'till she makes it! That's the motto I went by in the beginning. Now I have so much more confidence in myself that I love being up there in front of the crowd! Just help her keep motivated, that does help too!

soonerchef said:
It sounds like she hasn't found anything to motivate her...she doesn't have that "thing" to make her get going. Have you tried finding what her "thing" might be and stressing that?
She has lots of "things": wanting to quit her job, going to college FT, money, free stuff... she just can't seem to get out of her own way.

crystalscookingnow: Maybe it is an age thing... I have trouble relating to that, I was married with a house by 21.

I just try to lend support where needed.

I agree, I was married with a house & all of the responsibilities that go with it at 19.

Its just tough for me to relate. I'm glad I'm not alone.

1. How can I overcome my shyness as a Pampered Chef consultant?

As a Pampered Chef consultant, it's important to remember that you are representing a brand and a product that you believe in. Focus on the benefits of the products and the joy they can bring to your customers' lives. Practice your sales pitch and have confidence in your knowledge and abilities. Also, try to build relationships with your customers and use your passion for cooking to connect with them.

2. What are some tips for networking and building relationships as a shy Pampered Chef consultant?

Networking is an important aspect of any business, but it can be intimidating for shy individuals. As a Pampered Chef consultant, you can utilize social media and online platforms to connect with potential customers and build relationships. Additionally, attend local events or host your own cooking parties to meet new people. Don't be afraid to reach out to friends and family for support and referrals.

3. How can I effectively communicate with customers without feeling overwhelmed as a shy Pampered Chef consultant?

Communication is key in any business, but it can be challenging for shy individuals. One tip is to prepare and practice your sales pitch and frequently asked questions beforehand. This will help you feel more confident and prepared when talking to customers. Also, remember to listen to your customers and ask them questions to show genuine interest in their needs and preferences.

4. What are some ways to build my confidence as a shy Pampered Chef consultant?

Building confidence takes time and practice, but there are some tips that can help. Set small achievable goals for yourself and celebrate your successes. Surround yourself with positive and supportive people who can encourage and motivate you. Also, remember to take breaks and practice self-care to avoid burnout.

5. How can I handle rejection as a shy Pampered Chef consultant?

Rejection is a part of any business, and it can be difficult for shy individuals. Remember that it's not personal and try not to take it to heart. Use it as a learning experience and reflect on what you can do differently next time. Also, focus on the positive interactions you have with customers and celebrate those successes.

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• Darcy Sharpe
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
kcmckay
  • chefmelody
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
smspamperedchef
  • ChefBeckyD