• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

What Should We Do About Our Potential PC Recruit Dilemma?

In summary, a couple who recently signed up as consultants for a company called PC are faced with a dilemma when a friend, who they recruited through a show, wants to sign up under them instead of the consultant who initially recruited them. The couple is seeking advice on what to do and some suggest it would be best for their friend to sign up under their recruiter, who has more experience in the business. However, others argue that it would be beneficial for the couple's business if their friend signed up under them. Ultimately, the decision lies with the couple and their friend.
dexheimers
Hey all,

As many of you know, my wife and I signed up as consultants a few weeks back. We were recruited through a show that a friend hosted. Well, now one of our friends, let's call her Sally, wants to sign on under us.

Normally this would be great news, but Sally was ALSO at the home show we attended and were recruited at. The consultant who recruited us has talked to Sally about PC since the show, but Sally has said if she proceeds and signs up, she wants to be under us and not the other consultant.

What should we do? I feel bad for "taking" a recruit, but the consultant who signed us has so many and we are just starting out. Sally still isn't sure about signing up and Sara and I plan on "sealing the deal" soon if we think it's best to proceed.

I need some advice on this.

Thanks...

Why does "Sally" not want to sign under your recruiter? Is it because she has so many recruites and you have none?

If it was me I would say it would be better if she signs under your recruiter because you are just starting out you are not going to know all the in's and out's of the business. I have been selling PC for just about a year and I still have questions for my director and she is able to answer them because she has been selling PC for over 5 years.

I am sure you want whats best for "Sally" and I think her having a recruiter that has been in the business a while is best for "Sally" as it will be best for you and your wife. That is my two cents hope it helps.

It's sounds pretty tricker. You will need and be working under who you sign up under and you do not want any bad feelings there. I understand wanting to sign her up under you all too. It would not be so sticky if they had not already talked to the other person about signing up. I would probably end up letting her sign up under the other person since she talked to her first b/c it was her lead to begin with. If she does not want to sign up under that lady, maybe she could wait a few months and sign up under the two of you and since some time had past it would not be so bad. I do not think I was a lot of help, haha!

Chef Michelle D said:
Why does "Sally" not want to sign under your recruiter? Is it because she has so many recruites and you have none?

If it was me I would say it would be better if she signs under your recruiter because you are just starting out you are not going to know all the in's and out's of the business. I have been selling PC for just about a year and I still have questions for my director and she is able to answer them because she has been selling PC for over 5 years.

I am sure you want whats best for "Sally" and I think her having a recruiter that has been in the business a while is best for "Sally" as it will be best for you and your wife. That is my two cents hope it helps.

See i do not agree , if PC thought that way they wouldnt give you bonus prizes for signing recruits during your first 3 months. I do not think she would be better off .
I say if she has been really talking with your recruiter often about signing up, yeah i would say let her sign with her , if she really wants to sign under you ask her to wait a month or so. Tough one let us know what happens !!

As a director if I were your recruiter I would want your friend to sign under you. It is best for MY business if it is done this way. It means you are 1/2 way to becoming a Future Director and on your way to becoming a Director ALL which is much more beneficial to me than just signing a new consultant for my team.
As for training etc. it is still your Director's responsibility to do this for all of you. Is your recruiter a Director? If not do you know who your Director is?

Evelynt said:
As a director if I were your recruiter I would want your friend to sign under you. It is best for MY business if it is done this way. It means you are 1/2 way to becoming a Future Director and on your way to becoming a Director ALL which is much more beneficial to me than just signing a new consultant for my team.
As for training etc. it is still your Director's responsibility to do this for all of you. Is your recruiter a Director? If not do you know who your Director is?
Perfect ... what i was trying to say.............:)

I say leave it up to Sally after she has all the information on how our recruiting program works (the benefits to her and you by signing up under you, benefits to her and the other recruiter if she signs up under the other recruiter). Ultimately, she has to be comfortable - don't start her out with a bad feeling. Have you talked to the recruiter about this as well? You're all going to work together, so make sure everyone knows what's going on.

Good luck!
Diane

If she talked to hef first, she is her recruit. But, you should talk to the recruiter about this situation. She may be fine with you signing up your friend but you must be prepared for her to say "no, she's my recruit".

Check out page D-3 in your Recipe for Success ("Tip" in gray box). One of the first things you should ask a potential recruit is "has anyone else talked to you about the opportunity?".

WELL Siad
Evelynt said:

Very well stated Evelyn. If Sally feels more comfortable signing with them, I think she should/could sign with either one. I think it would be good to ask for your Directors thoughts.

I signed at a friends show that was also contemplating signing (she wasn't quite reazdy at her show). One month later she wanted to sign under me instead of my Director (I know her). NOT that she didn't want to sign under my Director, she stated she had been working with her a short while, she just wanted to work with me. I talked to my director and she gave me some information to read and some good advise as to whether it was/wasn't a good idea to have a friend or family member under you.

I say talk to your Director, the recruitor and Sally and see what works best for all.

Bottom line is the decision is Sally's - not yours or your recruiters. Sally should sign under who she wants to sign under!!!!

Sign her up.Go for it! I think you should use this opportunity to start your business off right. Get a recruit and get entered into the Home Depot drawing and get a $50 gift card. This is the best time ever to sign people up.
My director is great, she told us that if anyone seems interested to have them speak to her and she would give them all the info they need to sign up. Also she would answer any questions and help us out any way she could. She would be happy if someone talked to her about all there is to know about PC and still sign under us. She is about helping us and that's what being a director is all about. I say you should ask her why she doesn't want to sign under that other consultant and then respect that and sign her up!! Let your recruiter know about this and be honest.
Debbie

The same situation happened to me when I first signed. My friend had been asking me HUGE red flag questions and was thinking about signing under me. When I asked my recuiter what to do she didn't say much. But, she went behind my back and called the past hostess. Later she called me and told me since Colleen was her hostess first she decided that Colleen needed to know about following the Golden Rule. She wanted me to know that Colleen reassured her that if she did sign it would be with her, not me. Grrr....Needless to say, Colleen did not sign up. I did not recruit ANYONE for a full year because I was so put off by my directors actions.

As far as I am concerned I do follow the Golden rule by helping my new consultants recruit friends and family.

I suggest pointing out to your recruiter that this will help both of you in the long run if you start recruiting now.

Thank you all so much for your advice. You all make very valid points. It might help sway some of you to know that "Sally" has only briefly spoken to my director about signing up.

My Director also lives 2 hours from the town where Sally and I live. Being a new recruit, I think it makes it easier to have your director close to you. I know we wouldn't be able to give Sally all of the information that a "veteran" would be able to, but since we just went through the signup process ourselves, we are very familiar with the process and can tell her exactly what to expect initially. By the tiem Sally is ready to sign up we will have done 4 or 5 shows and have a better grasp on the entire PC process as a whole.

It's also worth pointing out that no one knows it all. Experience teaches many things but perfection is never one of them. I feel comfortable signing someone up and I also know that if a question is asked and I don't have an answer there is always someone out there who I can turn to for help.

Thanks so much for your great advice!

Last edited:
dexheimers said:
It's also worth pointing out that no one knows it all. Experience teaches many things but perfection is never one of them. I feel comfortable signing someone up and I also know that if a question is asked and I don't have an answer there is always someone out there who I can turn to for help.

Yeah, like right here. :D Everyone here on Chefsuccess is ready and willing to help. My director lives about an hour and a half away so I get the most inspiration and ideas from here. I don't always get to go to my cluster meetings either. This is like one HUGE virtual cluster always banding together to help each other. I also think that it is up to your potential recruit to make the final decision, but she should talk to your director and tell her how she feels.

excellent points, Jennifer. I don't want to do anything to jeopardize the relationship between myself, my director or my friend! Honesty is the ebst policy and also makes for a good and ethical business.

As your recruit, doesn't your recruiter benefit also? I would think she would be happy to help you with your first line. The more you and your people do, the more she benefits....right?

The bottom line is that it is the recruits decision to make. She needs to feel comfortable. If she thinks she will be more comfortable working with you, then that is her decision.

But, I do think you both need to discuss it with your recruiter.

I used to buy a lot of home interior products and have a lot of shows....my whole extended family did....aunts, mom, sister, cousins, you name it....when my aunt decided to sign up to sell, her recruiter...who was our consultant, told all of us to purchase our products from my aunt because she was our friend and family and it would help her. Isn't that the way it should work?

To Dexheimers: Do you live anywhere near Odessa, MO? I have a consultant on my team who just moved there, and I'd like to get her connected to other consultants in the area.
Thank you.
You may reply to [email protected]

I have done other direct selling businesses before and, for me personally, my upline has made a huge difference. I vowed that if I ever did direct selling again, it would only be if I had the right upline - so the reason I signed up for Pampered Chef this summer is my recruiter. She is an Executive Director and an awesome, inspirational leader. If it wasn't for the fact she would be my upline, I wouldn't have signed up. Period.

So my point is, Sally gets to choose who she signs up under. That is one of the advantages of this business. And I don't think she is obligated to tell you her reasons for not signing up under your recruiter - it is her own business. You should, however, tell your recruiter the situation and hopefully she will understand and be supportive of Sally's efforts. As we all know, it's in the recruiter's long-term best interests to do so!

Congratulations on your first potential recruit!

you should recruit her. As a past director, that is what I would have advised.
If I was the recruiter I would just give them to you!
It's a great start for you and there are plenty other fish in the sea for your recruiter!

So, what happened?

I see this post has sparked a lot of feedback and I also see that it is a new post so here is my insight.

As a Director I will give my advice. No one "owns" a recruit lead. This lady should feel comfortable to sign up under whoever she feels most comfortable with. If that is you then congratulations. If your recruiter is a Director then she should also understand this. The only thing that your Director will loose out on by not having this lead as a personal recruit is trip points. When this lady signs, your Director will still get benefits by way of commission overrides, total cluster sales, and # of downline members even if she does sign with you. I would hope that your Director would want this for you. If your recruiter is not a Director yet though she may feel a little less understanding because she will not receive these benefits if this lady signs up with you. Bottom line though, it is the leads choice and she is the one who decides who she signs with and hopefully won't feel guilted out of signing at all if the other recruiter is putting pressure on her. Remember to talk to your Director, tell her that this lady has expressed that she wants to sign with you and your Director should be happy for you! This is a business where we are suppose to be helping everyone realize their dreams not fighting over them to make our own dreams come true.

Congrats on a recruit lead this early in your business. You are off to a great start!

I agree with talking to your recruiter first. It is ultimately Sally's decision, but you should be up front with the recruiter first...she will probably want you to sign her up anyway, and this whole post will be for naught!

...deep and wide!!

UPDATE:

Sara and I went to our Director's house the other night for training. There was another consultant training at the time, so I thought I wuoldn't bring up "Sally" just yet. A little bit into the training my Director brought Sally's name up when talking about the notebook for keeping track of potential recruits. When I hinted that I had talked to Sally about the opportunity, my Director said "You can't have her, she's mine!". She said it jokingly, yet I could tell she sort of meant it - you know??

I know my director is really obsessed with trip points, so maybe that is the reason for wanting the recruit herself....

I'm concerned about the whole issue. Sally won't sign on until the beginning of September at the VERY earliest. I am thinking about calling my Director and talking about it further. I am pretty sure Sally would rather sign on under us because of both the distance factor and the fact that we're friends. We'll see what happens....

A bit of good news.....we have another potential recruit...and this one will definately sign on under us!!! :)

Thanks for all of your advice and help.

Well, all I can say is 'deep and wide'. perhaps you should mention to your director that you were hoping to help her move up to an advanced director by leadership! ;) Just a little strategic planning...

Good luck, and keep us posted! And Congrats on a GREAT START!

LOVE my recruiter...One of the guests at my show stated that she was interested in signing up before I did and was talking to our consultant within my earshot. I had been thinking about signing up since another friend had invited me to her party (mine was booked from hers), but hadn't told anyone. I liked what I overheard in the conversation and started asking my own questions. My recruiter stated that I could have my friend sign up under me and that she would train both of us since we would both be considered part of her business (first and second line). :)

It was a VERY wise move on her part since I'm now goofy excited about signing up and getting started, and getting my friend started, too! :)

I probably would have signed up anyway if she hadn't let my friend be MY recruit (I'm a kitchen gadget freak and am in love with the products), but the excitement level that is getting me WAY out of my comfort zone wouldn't have been there and it may have completely blown my future success.

Evelynt said:

I agree completely with Evelynt

jentapp said:
My recruiter stated that I could have my friend sign up under me and that she would train both of us since we would both be considered part of her business (first and second line). :)

It was a VERY wise move on her part since I'm now goofy excited about signing up and getting started, and getting my friend started, too! :)
That is very cool! And she obviously understands in the end it will help grow both her team and yours!! Congrats!

To Dexheimers: I agree with the previous comment. Put a positive spin on the situation by letting your Director know that you are helping to get her to Advanced Director which is worth 4000 points rather than the 2000 from 1 qualified recruit.
I hate to think that a Director is losing sight of the "Big Picture" because of short sightedness.
When you make your private call to her ask her questions like: Won't this help you promote to Avanced? Won't this help you achieve the trip/TPC?

Thanks for the great advice. This makes us both feel much more comfortable in talking to our Director. I'm glad that if Sally signs under us, it will benefit both of us rather than just my Director. I hope she can see it the way you all do!

What ever the outcome who she signs up under... keep in mind....we all tend to help each other out... that is the nice thing about PC... we are not competing against each other, we work together and help each other out and give a hand up to the person behind us!!! Keep up the good work!!! :)

I have 5 consultants on my team right now, and I am signing another with a kit credit next week (can't wait for that to go through!!)...but I am already encouraging them to add to their teams by asking them the names of 3 people that they would like to start their businesses with.

I know that the only way for me to advance is to build my team--not only down, but out. I cannot promote to Adv, Sen Dir, or Exec Dir unless I have Directors on my team....that's just the way it is!

And if worse comes to worse and they decide the business is not for them, their recruits move into my 1st line!

And with the price of gas, starting this business is less expensive than filling up your gas tank! (yes, I use that line at all my shows!)

Good luck to you both, you look like such a cute couple and I would love to walk with you as Directors at Leadership in January!!

OK, dexys...had to bump this thread up to see how it's going?

Jennifer:

I read about you, I believe it was you in Weekly bites!!! Way to Go1!!

So did you sign "Sally"? Or did your director? Please, please tell me someone signed "Sally"!! :confused:

I would so hate to see Sally selling seashells by the seashore....

She should be selling stoneware in st. louis in september....

Last edited:
Good use of alliteration, Janice!

UPDATE:
Sally won't be signing with anyone until September. We haven't talked with our director yet about the issue because we have been (and still are) on vacation. Yes, I know, I shouldn't be on here! But it's late and I don't have anything else to do! :)

We'll keep you updated....thanks!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• beepampered
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
tpchefpattie
  • baychef
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
baychef