• Join Chef Success Today! Get support for your Pampered Chef business today! Increase your sales right now! Download 1000s of files and images, view thousands of Pampered Chef support threads! Totally Free!

theBiggest Misconception About Being a Consultant Is...

In summary, people think that you have to be a good cook or have a lot of home party experience to be successful with direct sales. People also think that you have to be outgoing and have a lot of luck getting bookings.
AJPratt
Silver Member
That people think to be successful you have to do a ton of cooking shows. I keep trying to tell those who are interested they can do one or two cooking shows a month and some catalog shows, or just do catalog shows. Then they think they would be doing this half-a**ed. What else do you think is a misconception.

I believe people have the misconception that you have to be a stay at home--snooty materialistic person to do any kind of direct sales. Me personally I am so far from that! Yes I'm a stay at home mom, but snooty-no way! I'm very laid back! As far as material goes, free is my middle name--if I can get a discount I'm checking it out--free--I am totally there!! That's why I'm a consultant!:)

I find that a lot of people think that it's too good to be true....it can take a lot of hard work, or you can do it as a casual consultant, but you will get out of it what you put into it.

Direct sales is not for everyone, but anyone can achieve what they believe, no matter who you are! This is the only opportunity I have ever had to run a million dollar business from home.

When I do everything that I know I can and it isn't working, I will move on....but I just don't see that happening!

I think that people are just to used to relying on others for their livelihood. We need to be relying on OURSELVES!!:D

jwpamp said:
I find that a lot of people think that it's too good to be true...

Me too!!!!!!!

I think the stay-at-home mom thing or even the mom thing. I don't have kids and it was a big thing for me when I started. I thought, "well isn't it it all just a bunch of SAHMs?" WOW was I wrong!! I have made some great friends and had a TON of fun in the process. I have also met plenty of people who don't even have kids (mostly here!) I almost think it's a hindrance, though, not to have kids...I don't have the moms from the baseball field or PTO or Science club or whatever to ask to do shows!

I think the fact that you can't make extra money doing this as a "hobby" is a huge misconception. I do 2-3 shows a month...sometimes more...sometimes less...do an average number of opportunity meetings and make all the extra cash I need...and get great products for 1/2 the cost.

I believe a big misconception is that you have to be outgoing. I am not an outgoing person. I'm very shy when it comes to meeting new people especially a group. I think this helped me a little bit to break out of being nervous.

My husband's first comment when I told him I was going to do this "You're not a salesperson!" I know I'm not! I don't have to be one!!! :D

How about that you have to be a good cook!:D I didn't know much about cooking when I started, but NOW I can say that I know lots more. PC has helped give me confidence in the kitchen....actually more confidence in MYSELF! I too was a pretty shy person, and this has helped me come out of my shell. I have gotten so much more out of being w/PC than I ever expected!
(I was one of those people in the beginning that thought it was too good to be true!)

I agree with all your reasons! I hate talking in front of a group of people, I am a horrible cook and hate to cook! I am not a ruthless salesperson, and not very funny on the spot! Through all those things I love PC!! It is kinda like a rock star where I just turn into someone else when I am doing a show. I am confindent and witty. I like that I can just shed my skin as a mom/ wife/human tissue/maid and be someone else, even for just an hour. I like people coming up to me with questions, and I like knowing the answers!

I really wish more people would give this opportunity a chance instead of just blowing it off because of all the above misconceptions!!

"IT's hard to get bookings" was my misconceptions. I'm not a real home-party person so didn't think I would get any bookings. I'm amazed that I have a list of people who want to book "in a few months." Granted, I have a lot to learn about getting dates at the moment and booking my calendar in advance, but I have been pleased about the availability of people to host. (I live in a economically booming city so that helps.)

I can think of a few:

1. Pyramid scheme
2. You can't really make money at that
3. It's not a real job (which is true for some)

I think that the saddest misconception occurs though when recruiters convince potentials that money will practically be growing on trees just by signing up. Yes, this can be very lucrative, but you must actually work at it!!!

I have to agree with the pyramid scheme---when I told my husband about it that was the first thing he said. He was very nervous about me doing this but I told him PC is just like every other business, you have to work hard to rise up the ladder and the reward for that hard work is a better paycheck and other perks! I can't stand it when someone refers to this as "not a real job" even if you don't do it full time its hard work to keep it going at all! It has definitely broken me out of my shell of thinking I am limited. When I received my last batch of free stuff (I completed my ss3) my UPS guy said "why don't you get a real job so you don't have to order this stuff?" and I said, This stuff is a gift to me--why don't you do what I do so you won't have to deliver my free stuff????

pckimboyers said:
When I received my last batch of free stuff (I completed my ss3) my UPS guy said "why don't you get a real job so you don't have to order this stuff?" and I said, This stuff is a gift to me--why don't you do what I do so you won't have to deliver my free stuff????
OMG!:eek: How rude!

gilliandanielle said:
It is kinda like a rock star where I just turn into someone else when I am doing a show. I am confindent and witty. I like that I can just shed my skin as a mom/ wife/human tissue/maid and be someone else, even for just an hour. I like people coming up to me with questions, and I like knowing the answers!

Human Tissue, lol, that's cute. I agree I was always a very shy person, I still have issues, and at one of my first few shows one lady a friend of my aunt's said "How in the world are you going to do this being as shy as you are?" I said I don't know but I'll find out.

pckimboyers said:
When I received my last batch of free stuff (I completed my ss3) my UPS guy said "why don't you get a real job so you don't have to order this stuff?" and I said, This stuff is a gift to me--why don't you do what I do so you won't have to deliver my free stuff????

Was he joking around or just being an @$$?

He's also a friend, but with him you can never tell....it was one of those blazin' hot days....sweat rollin off his forehead, so he was probably serious! It was like Christmas! I got like 5 boxes that day!

I kinda' figured that he might be someone you knew, but you never know sometimes there are just people that are that rude. But I do know people like him that are 'friends' but you never know if the rude thing they said was meant to be rude or meant in a joking way, my husband would be one of those people and sometimes I just want to wring his neck for it.

Misconceptions (flyer??)Reading all the misconceptions...made me think that these comments would make a great handout in a recruiting interview. I'm not good at coming up with flyers...but if anyone wants to run with this idea and post it for all of us, I would be very appreciative!!

Karen

The one thing my husband said that really hurt and is also a big misconception is that this is not a business. This is "just a way for PC to get me to sell their product and make money off of me." I plan on being a NED and average $25,000 commission and overrides per month in 5 years. At that time, or even before, my husband will be able to quit the job that is basically killing him. As I have said before, I am certified as a teacher and there is no way I could ever have been able to support us. With PC, I can!

Kim I cant believe your UPS guy said that to you! I'm glad you gave him a comeback. I'm still in shock!

Bumping this up!

Hey you all forgot oneYou have to be a women to do this!

Well, I have been doing this for 5.5. years now and I am not super gorgeuous like Tom and I can't sing like Dave or make people laugh like Don but I can make a mean Red, White and Blue Dream Dessert and I can get the job done!
I do this partime and I made $7000 plus last year. It is enough for me to do several things:
1) I make a car payment every month. Not just on one but on two cars. I was able to buy a car for my other half.
2) We have owned a home for 10 years. Until last year I never thought I would be able to have my credit cleaned up enough to get my name on the house. Well guess what! On July 18th PAt signed over half of the house to me! And we got a second mortgage in both our names!!!
3) I also make a payment of $200 more a month on our house payment than Pat does! BECAUSE I CAN!

TOO COOL! Not a real job? My hinny!

Last edited:
John: Congratulations on the house!

Thanks AnneI worked darn hard for that! It took some major NOT SPENDING everything I earned on PC stuff though! (See, I really do still want EVERYTHING!)
Oh well. However, I have to admit that being able to have spending money again is a great feeling and knowing that if something would happen to either of us, the house remains with the other. No more worries about out two families! There are some greddy buggers on both sides so...
That si another misconception that has been mentioned I am sure. "You have to do this full time to make any real money!" Yep you do! But, even if you do this part time, you can make a substantial difference in your finacial life. And it beats the heck out of flipin burgers! (I always hated smelling like french fries!)

John, you are so funny !!! And I agree- This job is perfect for any situation.

pampered1224 said:
I worked darn hard for that! It took some major NOT SPENDING everything I earned on PC stuff though! (See, I really do still want EVERYTHING!)
Oh well. However, I have to admit that being able to have spending money again is a great feeling and knowing that if something would happen to either of us, the house remains with the other. No more worries about out two families! There are some greddy buggers on both sides so...
That si another misconception that has been mentioned I am sure. "You have to do this full time to make any real money!" Yep you do! But, even if you do this part time, you can make a substantial difference in your finacial life. And it beats the heck out of flipin burgers! (I always hated smelling like french fries!)

Your hard work always pays off! I know, I want it all, too! LOL Occupational hazard. There is something to be said to know that your loved ones will be ok if anything was to happen to you. I think couples like yourselves should be entitled to EVERYTHING "other couples" are.

Yes, I agree... BIG money if you do this full time, but this is a biliion times better than ANY retail job I've EVER had. The most I ever made was $9.00 an hour and that was good pay! LOL Funny when PC puts things into perspective. I just wish I had found this when I went through my divorce. 40 hours a week at the day job and 32 a week at the store. I was hurting!

Congrats John, that is awesome!

I would LOVE to do this full time! Right now, all I can handle is 4-5 shows a month with all my other commitments. But I know I could get more if I had the time! Maybe someday...

ok it's late and i'm exhausted, but this is the first thing i whipped together.. does it need more included in it? i couldn't think of the wording very well.. just thought it might be a good start for people to see that there are a lot of misconceptions attached to PC and even if all of them aren't addressed on here, it's at least a launching pad, right? i left the space for contact information, but i can fill it in if someone has something good to put there.. like i said.. too late for my brain to work right..

*8/22: changed document & reposted, and added original version of document to post

Attachments

• mythbusters.pub
    78 KB · Views: 353
  • mythbusters.pdf
    169.1 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
MythbustersAmanda,
That looks great!! Well stated. Great direct responses, love the background. I'm not good at coming up with comebacks, I can never really think of what to say quickly and this well really help. I really appreciate your time and efforts. So many good ideas from this forum.

Amanda: What can I say? That is the best flyer I have EVER seen! You are amazing---and you're tired! Can't wait to see what you can do awake!

Please post
pchefinski said:
ok it's late and i'm exhausted, but this is the first thing i whipped together.. does it need more included in it? i couldn't think of the wording very well.. just thought it might be a good start for people to see that there are a lot of misconceptions attached to PC and even if all of them aren't addressed on here, it's at least a launching pad, right? i left the space for contact information, but i can fill it in if someone has something good to put there.. like i said.. too late for my brain to work right..

Could you please repost in the original format? I really like this! Thanks for your hard work and efforts!

nicolespcshows said:
I think the fact that you can't make extra money doing this as a "hobby" is a huge misconception. I do 2-3 shows a month...sometimes more...sometimes less...do an average number of opportunity meetings and make all the extra cash I need...and get great products for 1/2 the cost.

I agree Nicole. I only do a few shows a month and make good money. I have gotten our computer paid off and am now working on getting some furniture paid off not to mention all the other "little" things I have done with my money. If not for part-time/hobby PC I would not be less one bill a month and on my way to two less a month! Andd my kitchen cabinet would not be full of FREE products!

My goal is to turn my hobby into my full-time job and leave the job I have now. Although I love my job, I want to become a stay-at-home mom.

Okay I tweaked it and included the Publisher version as well as the PDF one. (back in my original post on the previous page) I can't take too much credit -- I took the information from everyone's postings! lol

Wow - Totaly Awesome!AMANDA THAT IS, LIKE, WOW!
I don't get thrilled over flyers much any more. Lord knows we have all seen enough of them. But you really did an fantastic job on that one!

BRAVO!

AND MANY, MANY THANKS!

Amanda - I have to echo the others - What a brilliant flyer! This is such a creative way to answer some of those objections! Thanks for your hard work and willingness to share!

and JOHN - congrats on your house! I plan on using you as an example at my shows of how PC can work for anyone - men included! ;) Didn't know you were going to be famous did ya?

pckimboyers said:
I have to agree with the pyramid scheme---when I told my husband about it that was the first thing he said. He was very nervous about me doing this but I told him PC is just like every other business, you have to work hard to rise up the ladder and the reward for that hard work is a better paycheck and other perks! I can't stand it when someone refers to this as "not a real job" even if you don't do it full time its hard work to keep it going at all! It has definitely broken me out of my shell of thinking I am limited. When I received my last batch of free stuff (I completed my ss3) my UPS guy said "why don't you get a real job so you don't have to order this stuff?" and I said, This stuff is a gift to me--why don't you do what I do so you won't have to deliver my free stuff????

Hahahaha I loved reading the last part of this Kim. Thanks for sharing....that was a great come back.
Patti

OK now that's just too funny!I am totaly embarassed now as I never even thought to use myself as an example! I guess when you go through it and have all the headaches attached you just simply want to forget the process was such a pain.
The result were not though so... Ibetter work on getting it out verballya t shows!

Thanks!

Don't worry, John... I'm sure much more embarrassing things will happen to help you forget about this!:p :p

Snot!That's just the kind of thing I don't need to hear. Only because it won't be as much of a surprise when it does/did happen. Does it count that when I went to try out the Decorating Bottles and I didn't have the tip tightened down enough and squirted frosting all over myself at work count as emabrrassing?
Especially since it didn't want to come out of my pants?
Ended up going home to change! To funny though!
AND USE WHITE FROSTING PLEASE WHEN YOU TRY THESE THE FIRST TIME.
I HAD GREEN AND NOW IT WILL NOT COME OUT OF MY KAHKIS!

My mom used to do wedding cakes and use huge bags of frosting. I can't see those little bottles cutting it. I guess they would be good for a quick fix.

Those bottles remind me of puffy paint from the 80s!!

I haven't tried mine yet, but I think my EAD is probably still a better bet. These might be good for kids tho LOL.

The bottles are good when you want a variety of colors, when you want to write something and when you don't own the EAD. My kids loved helping me decorate some cupcakes.

Now, those cupcakes came out of the silicone muffin pan. They were pretty but quickly covered up with frosting. And since my family thinks that cake is a means to neatly eat frosting, the pretty designs were lost on us. Really...to put a glaze on something when you can make it even more fattening with frosting is silly. The pans did have easy clean up.

Bee, I dusted my cupcakes w/powdered sugar. Still could see the designs, and they tasted almost frosted as it melted in a little!

Similar Pampered Chef Threads

• legacypc46
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
baychef
  • Deanna Brown
  • Recruiting and Team Leaders
Replies
Views
Deanna Brown
  • Bren706